30 replies to this topic

#1 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 01:24 PM

xWUNG with music by John Marwin

This game is kinda of a semi-shmup. The only thing keeping it from being a full blown one is that you can't actually shoot... You play by moving the mouse to swing a ball. The ball's attached to a "wire", and both of 'em kill enemies on contact. Be careful of the debris as it's deadly. There are bosses that appear with regular intervals. Make large combos to get good scores!

Posted Image

Don't put it in the same folder as Burn the Trash! or it'll steal your profile and score from there :)
I've only been working on the game for twelve hours or so. If anyone has any great ideas on how to improve the game; feel free to make suggestions.

Download

Online highscores here as well: http://h1.ripway.com...g/highscore.php

Edited by cactus, 10 September 2007 - 08:43 AM.

#2 Alex

Alex

3lite Member

• 3098 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 01:39 PM

Wow, you just can't stop making great games!

It's simple but fun. Great music too.

EDIT: My high score was 6,500 :)

Not sure how to improve... perhaps have some debris that rotates around you (like a gravitational pull) which stops you from being able to swing very far.

Maybe have the string push the elements as it goes pass them?

Good luck to you on this game. I hope it gets as popular as your other great hits.

Edited by Alex, 18 August 2007 - 01:58 PM.

#3 frosty10001

frosty10001

GMC Member

• 876 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 02:29 PM

Heres a review:

Graphics: 7/10
Sounds: 8/10
GamePlay: 8/10

Total Score: 7.8/10

Improvement Suggestions:
Could use better graphics

Comments:
Oh cool, before i even knew it i got a highscore and i was in the highscore table =)
(Planet ~(X)~) (Skill Enhancing)

[Please PM me if you want a video review/gameplay video for your game!]

#4 Grego

Grego

GMC Member

• 1155 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:03 PM

What a nice game. Simple, but fun. I only got 3,050 but I really enjoyed it :)

#5 Syluxhunter

Syluxhunter

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:20 PM

Nice game I have to say. After several tries, my high score is 20850.

#6 TGOC

TGOC

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:05 PM

Wow, I think I liked that better than Clean Asia!. Great game. Very fun. Super game. Awesome job. Way to go. You da bomb. High-five!

Edit: I'm in third place!!! About 34.5 more enemies killed, and I would've beat your score Cactus!

Edited by Theghostofchristmas, 18 August 2007 - 06:18 PM.

#7 dvvgames

dvvgames

GMC Member

• 47 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:41 PM

This is awesome!! I definetly going to try to get first place

Great job

Edit: It's also quite hard and it gets on your nervers :)

Edited by dvvgames, 18 August 2007 - 06:50 PM.

#8 TGOC

TGOC

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:42 PM

Awww... I was only 13300 from 1st that time. =[

#9 RazgrizInferno

RazgrizInferno

GMC Member

• 50 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:39 PM

I can't open it..... rar......

#10 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:19 PM

I can't open it.....      rar......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's no need to rar at him :). Jk, I know what you mean.

Well, I didn't like it as much as your others at first, but once I got to my first boss it started getting really cool. Not your best, but still awesome. My highscore was 58100.

Posted Image
Check out my website (above) for finished and upcoming games.
Solar Blue-The Mansion-God's Watch
Note: My name has changed. My old name was STARFOXROX.

#11 Wolf017

Wolf017

GMC Member

• 531 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:30 PM

yay! cactus is back! And im 700 points away from getting myself on that scoreboard!

#12 Erik Leppen

Erik Leppen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2751 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 19 August 2007 - 12:07 PM

I have a suggestion, namely that you anti-alias all graphics in the game. The font is anti-aliased but the rest isn't. Either anti-alias everything, or anti-alias nothing but doing everything is the best, it removes the pixel-ness of the sprites and I like that most for a game with this graphics style.

I haven't played yet, I'm just looking at the screen shot.

promo_briquidmini_500x150.png

#13 Kairos

Kairos

Abstract Artist

• 175 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 12:44 PM

Maybe cactus wants that style, as seen in his other games. To me it makes it seem more retro, which is better.

Besides, the lines are relatively clean.

Edited by Kairos, 19 August 2007 - 12:48 PM.

#14 TGOC

TGOC

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:01 PM

Tim W. hacks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#15 kimkallstrom1

kimkallstrom1

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:49 PM

lol

I know that those who had over 200,000 would think that there wouldn't be any more bosses appearing, but the game does loop somewhere around 1,000,000 - bosses appear again after that.

#16 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:01 PM

I have a suggestion, namely that you anti-alias all graphics in the game. The font is anti-aliased but the rest isn't. Either anti-alias everything, or anti-alias nothing but doing everything is the best, it removes the pixel-ness of the sprites and I like that most for a game with this graphics style.

I haven't played yet, I'm just looking at the screen shot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't expect to hear that from someone like you. Anyway, I don't like antialias, but I didn't want to draw a custom font for a small game like this. So that was the best I could do. I usually don't listen to people who critisize my style, and I usually don't listen to people who haven't even played the game they're talking about. This is no exception.

lol

I know that those who had over 200,000 would think that there wouldn't be any more bosses appearing, but the game does loop somewhere around 1,000,000 - bosses appear again after that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The bosses stop appearing? I'll have to look into that :D

Awesome highscore, by the way. I'm glad to see someone enjoy the game enough to get that high.

#17 brod

brod

Brian RODriguez

• GMC Member
  • 2050 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:33 PM

Very nice game, quite addicting. My highscore is 27,050, but I'll get higher soon. Only got through 2 bosses. Fun nevertheless. Great job, once again.

~Brod

Edited by brod, 19 August 2007 - 09:33 PM.

#18 iamcheeze

iamcheeze

GMC Member

• 449 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:43 PM

definately not your best game, very limitted gameplay.
didn't last 20 seconds :|

_Player_
64Digits - a programming community of lazy and smart people.
Calculus is fun!

#19 TGOC

TGOC

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:43 PM

lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was wondering that actually. I thought Cactus just got lazy at that point and decided not to make anymore bosses. Your score is weak, too. How long have you played? Noob. :(

Just kidding. :D

#20 im9today

im9today

Not actually nine

• 219 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:58 PM

Another excellent, pick up and play shooter from you. So prolific. I've wasted many hours between classes twirling my finger around the touch pad because of you. Er... -_-

#21 sh@de

sh@de

GMC Member

• 413 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:26 PM

Wow. Cactus... you da' man...

#22 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 05:04 PM

Very good! Your games have a very distinct style, and this fits perfectly. I like this a lot, though it requires great finesse to play. This may be no Clean Asia, but still definitely has its own character.

I have a few minor suggestions:

- Make the learning curve just a bit slower. This is just a matter of opinion, though: some people prefer to be 'eased into' a game that builds, while others prefer to be challenged right off the bat, and continue at a similar, sometimes slowly growing difficulty level after they get the hang of it. I personally prefer the former, and it seems like you prefer the latter. Perhaps you could make the enemies release less of those squares when they die, or make those squares move slower? These could be increased slowly as the game progresses.

- Use a more contrasting background. Throughout much of the game, you have to avoid squares, and the background is just a bunch of red squares. This can make the game somewhat confusing.

Overall, this is excellent. It certainly fits the description of 'SHMUP without shooting.'

~ thetagames

#23 mrsmes

mrsmes

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1506 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:50 AM

tougher enemies that can shoot seekers that go at speed 6 relative every time they hit you that's their creation speed for all seekers so if you don't destroy the enemy you will keep getting destroyed in a faster continous loop until you get game over.

Assuming I helped you out in a questions and answers topic won't you return the favour by helping me with one my coding problems, or recommend some one who can chat to me over pms about helping and how to overcome my obstacles, after all lets just say I did help you or them or many people with similar problems, in that topic.

Here i have a topic for those of you struggling with type writer text and mugshots in your games especially if it is a rpg see the link below for more info

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=619103

almost no code needed, only uses two events.

click here for the l8est version of feed the alien pizza, it has some major polished up features.

#24 mrsmes

mrsmes

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1506 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:00 AM

a .zip file could really help so people can actually have a wider choice and open it because not every ones computer(s) can open .rar files especcially if they're exporting it to another computer that's got a wireless connection that broke down and they have to put it on a removeable hard disk and then palce it into that other computer in which they want to play it on.

Assuming I helped you out in a questions and answers topic won't you return the favour by helping me with one my coding problems, or recommend some one who can chat to me over pms about helping and how to overcome my obstacles, after all lets just say I did help you or them or many people with similar problems, in that topic.

Here i have a topic for those of you struggling with type writer text and mugshots in your games especially if it is a rpg see the link below for more info

click here for the l8est version of feed the alien pizza, it has some major polished up features.

#25 mrsmes

mrsmes

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1506 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:02 AM

want a ramming example it's in my signature just click the link that says here and then save it to the location you wish you to put it in it's all safe and works just fine and does what it says it will.

#26 dencrason

dencrason

GMC Member

• 30 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:46 PM

It's... A... .rar! NOOOO! My life... Can you please make it a .zip file because I don't know how to open .rars. Sigh.

#27 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:43 AM

One zip comin' up: http://www.willhostf...rkman/xwung.zip

#28 conman124

conman124

The Almighty!

• 282 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:51 PM

This... is... the... best!!

I love the game play, the sounds were just a tad repetitive, the high score tables were good. The difficulty is perfect, and anything I didn't mention is good. However, I wish there was a story to it.

Story: 0/10
Game play: 10/10
Sounds: 9/10
Graphics: 8/10
Controls: 10/10

Overall: 7.4/10
7 & up is considered good in my book.

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . .
our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

#29 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:10 AM

i got 16350 highscore :P

I played for like 30 minutes... Very nice game cactus, you never cease to make great games.

Edited by jakman4242, 12 September 2007 - 05:11 AM.

-- My blog. --

#30 mrsmes

mrsmes

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1506 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:23 AM

you really are the man cactus.

#31 Uzaki

Uzaki

GMC Member

• 409 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:50 PM

cactus you have made your mark in SHMUP history...This is awesome.
Highscore: 65240
got past 4 first bosses :lol: