51 replies to this topic

#1 Smash Games

Smash Games

GMC Member

• 120 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:02 AM

Extreme Effects Engine
Version 3.3.0.0
Hi, this is the third version of my Extreme Effects Engine. It requires Game Maker 6.1 or higher. You will also have to be registered (although you can download an .exe). I also ask if you use any effects that you give credit to me (more info in help file). So here it is:
Extreme Effects Engine
Mirrors:
Host A - Non-Direct Download
Save File - Non-Direct Download
64digits - Non-Direct Download
Exe:
Host A - Non-Direct Download
Screenshots:
Photbucket - Slideshow
Old Versions:
Ver 3.2.0.0
Ver 3.1.0.0
Ver 3.0.0.0
Ver 2.1.0.0
Ver 2.0.0.0
Ver 1.0.0.0
Thank you, and please leave comments on how I could improve it (if you want to request an effect PM me).

Edited by 05grel2, 15 September 2007 - 09:58 AM.

#2 edmunn

edmunn

GMC Member

• 1298 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:51 AM

Not the most extreme effects engine i've ever seen, but it's pretty ok. 6/10

#3 Sindarin

Sindarin

Indie Game Developer

• 1644 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 18 August 2007 - 02:51 PM

Isn't the name 'extreme', a little extreme? It's ok, but needs more effects.

#4 Smash Games

Smash Games

GMC Member

• 120 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:31 AM

It's ok, but nothing that i havn't seen before.
7/10

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the comment. Just a question. What would you like to see? If I think can do it I will do it.

#5 edmunn

edmunn

GMC Member

• 1298 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:34 AM

Maybe 3D effects, just unusual effects that people don't expect to see look great!
Try making landscapes with particles, like a wave on the sea or a volcano exploding.
Just some ideas to help.

Edited by edmunn, 20 August 2007 - 10:34 AM.

#6 Smash Games

Smash Games

GMC Member

• 120 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:34 AM

Maybe 3D effects, just unusual effects that people don't expect to see look great!
Try making landscapes with particles, like a wave on the sea or a volcano exploding.
Just some ideas to help.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, thanks. I'll probalbly be able to do most of them, but I'm not sure about 3D effects. I'll give it a go though and they will hopefully turn out good.

#7 edmunn

edmunn

GMC Member

• 1298 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:44 AM

http://www.martincro...es/examples.php

There are some nice 3d examples here to give you inspiration.

#8 Smash Games

Smash Games

GMC Member

• 120 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:49 AM

http://www.martincro...es/examples.php

There are some nice 3d examples here to give you inspiration.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will get to work on the new effects as soon as possible and will proberly upload the next version tommorow.

#9 edmunn

edmunn

GMC Member

• 1298 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:03 AM

BTW they're not my examples.

#10 Smash Games

Smash Games

GMC Member

• 120 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:36 AM

Why it lags so much? 10 fps on 3 GHz?

Also if you havn't got anything to say other than '...extreme' then can you please not post it.

It's ok, but needs more effects.

I've said it. :whistle:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will add more effects and I'm not sure why it lags. I always get 30fps (apart form if you keep pressing space on the explosion one).

#11 fire_soul453

fire_soul453

aarons video games

• GMC Member
  • 542 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:01 PM

Its better than version one. You should of waited till version 3 (and made it version one) to release it though.

#12 Smash Games

Smash Games

GMC Member

• 120 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:51 AM

Its better than version one. You should of waited till version 3 (and made it version one) to release it though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I released it at version 1 because I wanted to see what sort of comments it got. Anyway I have just released version 2.1 which contains a further 4 effects (clouds, lighting, rain no.2, volcano) and will probalbly be the last update before version 3. Enjoy!! (if you want to see the new screenshots they are from number 9 upwards.

Edited by 05grel2, 23 August 2007 - 08:51 AM.

#13 Dejay

Dejay

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:11 PM

Great job, I won't be using these, but I learned a lot about the particle system.

#14 Bowex

Bowex

Digital-X

• 462 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:39 PM

Well done , really usefull :(

#15 Mgamerz

Mgamerz

Lazy Developer

• 1289 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:06 PM

Wow, the explosion one is really cool if you do it like 3 or 4 times. I'm going to definately use this! I like the lava one, it's okay... if a bit weird looking. Fire ... meh. Clouds, totally.

#16 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:11 AM

Sorry to say, but this is far from extreme. Most of the effects you posted could be easily done by anyone with a little particle or gml knowledge.

The explosion effect looked quite nice though. Especially when hitting space 3 or more times as mentioned before me.

Oh yeah, those clouds look... well bad. They're very plain and look more like little smoke blotches.

Maybe I should make an effects example. I've got a lot of particle knowledge. Then again, I don't like people using my stuff all that much... which explains why I've yet to release my "jump through slopes" script... Well, it's not a script. It's just one line of code.

In any case, I believe you can make this into a pretty good effects engine with a little more guess and check.

#17 Smash Games

Smash Games

GMC Member

• 120 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:50 AM

Sorry to say, but this is far from extreme. Most of the effects you posted could be easily done by anyone with a little particle or gml knowledge.

The explosion effect looked quite nice though. Especially when hitting space 3 or more times as mentioned before me.

Oh yeah, those clouds look... well bad. They're very plain and look more like little smoke blotches.

Maybe I should make an effects example. I've got a lot of particle knowledge. Then again, I don't like people using my stuff all that much... which explains why I've yet to release my "jump through slopes" script... Well, it's not a script. It's just one line of code.

In any case, I believe you can make this into a pretty good effects engine with a little more guess and check.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well Dejay said he's learnt a lot about particles. Also the next version will feature 3d effects, so that will help out lots of people. This is mainly for people who don't know how to use particles or who are too lazy to bother.

#18 Mgamerz

Mgamerz

Lazy Developer

• 1289 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 02:00 AM

I imported this into my game (well, copied the code and the spr_aura into it), and it looks wierd. When I have then enemey with taht explosion die, I have it set global.x and global.y to it's x y values, then create PEtriger, which makes userdefined0 go off every 5 steps 3 times. But they don't appear in the same spot! Weird things a happenin... Nice Engine! Every tried using Particle... Creator... Or whatever it was called?

#19 Smash Games

Smash Games

GMC Member

• 120 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:00 AM

I imported this into my game (well, copied the code and the spr_aura into it), and it looks wierd. When I have then enemey with taht explosion die, I have it set global.x and global.y to it's x y values, then create PEtriger, which makes userdefined0 go off every 5 steps 3 times. But they don't appear in the same spot! Weird things a happenin... Nice Engine! Every tried using Particle... Creator... Or whatever it was called?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, but I have no idea what you are on about.

#20 RhysAndrews

RhysAndrews

Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2003 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:49 AM

Mate, I have to be honest with you. Almost every one of these effects were just modified or heavily copied from my Effects Engine. Explosion, Flame, Clouds, Rain, Snow, VOLCANO... most of those are fairly common effects sure but your effects are just a watered down version of the very same technique I used.

Now, this is just looking from the screenshots. I'm not exactly on a computer with GM installed but I will check out the source and the movement of those effects at home before I start accusing you of anything... I mean, nothing serious anyway - it's just plagiarism.

The sprite of the explosion beam is a direct copy from the one in my Effects Engine... many of the effects are the same concept as mine - it has the "typing" description/title/version info at the top-left... similarities in the lightning and lighting style...

Edited by RhysAndrews, 29 August 2007 - 10:30 AM.

#21 Smash Games

Smash Games

GMC Member

• 120 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:32 AM

I have just released version 3. It contains even more effects and is now split up into sections. I will put screenshots up tommorow.
EDIT: I have now put the screenshots up.

Edited by 05grel2, 01 September 2007 - 09:13 AM.

#22 edmunn

edmunn

GMC Member

• 1298 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:08 AM

Very nice actually, i like the explosion one, it never dropped below fps, no matter how many times it exploded!

#23 Smash Games

Smash Games

GMC Member

• 120 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:18 AM

Very nice actually, i like the explosion one, it never dropped below fps, no matter how many times it exploded!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the comment. What are your specs? :) as mine usally drops on the explosion one when you release a lot in a row and on the volcano one when you increase the intensity to the max. And also I'm still working on 3d effects, they are just harder to do.

#24 irregular

irregular

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1271 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:35 AM

I like it.... I used the circle mouse trail and made an uber vortex/wormhole thing........... I might use it in a game I'm making rightnow :lol:

Posted Image

#25 Smash Games

Smash Games

GMC Member

• 120 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:14 AM

I like it.... I used the circle mouse trail and made an uber vortex/wormhole thing........... I might use it in a game I'm making rightnow :lol:

Posted Image

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ha, Ha, thats cool. I have uploaded version 3.1 so you right want to check that out, especially as it contains spiral effects that could be used for something similar.

#26 RhysAndrews

RhysAndrews

Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2003 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:02 PM

I'd appreciate it if you didn't ignore my comments.

#27 PageWizard

PageWizard

GMC Member

• 151 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:58 PM

I liked this example :)

#28 Smash Games

Smash Games

GMC Member

• 120 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:38 PM

Look, I didn't copy your effects engine; have you cheched the source yet? And I didn't ignore, your comments I just didn't know what too say.

#29 RhysAndrews

RhysAndrews

Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2003 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:51 AM

I did check the source. I appreciate that the source wasn't a direct copy but technique's were very similar and so either the source was re-written or heavily based on the concept of each of my effects.

Like I said, it's not such a large issue, but I still ask for your honesty.
-Rhys

#30 Smash Games

Smash Games

GMC Member

• 120 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:48 PM

I did check the source. I appreciate that the source wasn't a direct copy but technique's were very similar and so either the source was re-written or heavily based on the concept of each of my effects.

Like I said, it's not such a large issue, but I still ask for your honesty.
-Rhys

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Look, this is what happened:

I'd got GM registered and was really happy and went and downloaded all the stuff I couldn't download before.

I downloaded your effects engine and thought it was really cool. I didn't know what any of it did though (I was still a n00b) so I deleted it (I saved the images though as I thought they might come in useful).

Later I found out how to use particles so I decided I'd make an effects engine similar to yours (I'd forgot what yours was called etc. but still remebered what it looked like). I used the beam sprite for my explosion and based most of the effects on ones I'd seen in yours. Now though most of the effects are my own original ideas but, if you want me to delete any that are too similar to yours I will.

Thanks for your time.

EDIT: Im have just updated to version 3.2 which contains three new effects:
Catherine Wheel
Fireworks
And finally, Ocean.

Enjoy!!

Edited by 05grel2, 03 September 2007 - 02:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users