Photo

Doom 2d -major Update! + Minor Update(11/28/07)

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#1 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:13 PM

To ensure that you guys fully extract the entire archive I made it into an sfx archive. So no, it's not an installer. It's just an executable version of a winzip file and it simply extracts the contents for you so there is no chance to make a mistake when extracting the files. Just run it and hit the extract button after choosing the right folder to extract to.

Doom 2D
Alpha 0.1.01 (11/28/2007)

Credits:
Everything is by me, Ilya Seletsky, except for the stuff I mention below

Game Maker tool: Mark Overmars
Platform Engine: Originally made by Jenner until I heavily modified it
All the sounds and music: id Sodtware and Team TNT
All the ideas and stuff: id Software
Original Graphics (Also includes all fonts and status bar stuff): id Software

And the most important of all...

The original awesome game called Doom: id Software

About the game:
This is going to be one of the most awesome Doom 2D fan games ever. I even made my own sprites for it to ensure that the game looks good, unlike most people who just rip the sprites from Doom and scale them down which usually looks horrible. Besides the Doom sprites aren't very good for using in a platform game because they only have 4 walking frames and you can't see the awesome animations I made for all the weapons.

Anyway, it's gonna have its own story and some new enemies of my own making. I might possibly add some new weapons as well.

I can rip any resource I want from all the Doom games, Ultimate Doom through Final Doom... I probably won't rip from Doom 3 though although I could do that too if there's some cool resource in Doom 3 I need. I won't have any trouble getting the sounds and music I want, while the graphics are mostly gonna be remade by me to ensure they look good in a platform game.

Controls:
Jump: W
Walk Left: A
Walk Right: D
Duck: S

Fire Gun: Left Click

Screenshot: F9
Quit Game: F10
Bring Up Menu: Escape

Number keys select the weapon slots.

1: Fist/Chainsaw
2: Pistol
3: Shotgun/Super Shotgun
4: Chaingun
5: Rocket Launcher
6: Plasma Gun
7: BFG 9000

To start a new game, bring up the menu and select new game. Then select campaign, seeing as that is the only working option. After that you can choose from the 5 difficulty levels. Unlike in the original Doom, Nightmare difficulty just makes the player take twice the damage than normal instead of all that crazy stuff that goes on. This way the difficulty level is actually playable.

Things to add and fix:
- More Enemies

- More items

- More tiles

- More level objects

- Sometimes projectiles go between wall edges so it looks like they are going through the wall, damn collision_line() doesn't seem to detect the collision right between sprite edges...

- Make the level editor faster (It's coded sooo sloppily!!!!!)

- Make it clearer what weapon you switched to by adding a little quick text thing

- And of course everything else, such as monsters and UI and everything else still missing

- Make all the splash screens, such as title, victory, end level( Stuff like that) So far they are just place holder images.

- Make the intermission screen between levels show all stats, like kill%, time taken to beat the level, all the other good stuff...

- Make the menu fully functional, so far only like 10% of the buttons do something.

Changes:

11/28/07:

- Fixed a tiny thing in the executable that I forgot to change back when releasing the alpha. It now shows the intro text talking about the alpha version instead of going to level 1 right away when starting a new game...

11/26/07:

- The game is now an alpha release and no longer an engine demo. This means I added quite a bit of new stuff…

- Made game play demos recordable and playable. The format will undoubtedly keep changing as I add more and more stuff to the game.

- Made all weapons fully functional.

- Added a second level just for fun.

- Made the game "work". It loads the level packs and stuff, shows the title screen, has a working menu that's now more or less fully functional. This is what helped graduate the game to alpha version status.

- Made level pack loading work. So far it's just hard coded into the game to load the default pack. Later I'll add it so you can load your own custom level packs.

- Added a menu, only about %10 of it works so far though…

Screenshots
These are screenshots of what the game currently looks like.
Posted Image

Posted Image

There are screenshots of a while ago... Fairly new I guess...
Killin Some Fools
Some Fairly Cool Tiles

These are screenshots from the second released engine demo.
The level editor (with a tileset from a totally different game) (old)
That same level in the game (old)

These are screenshots of the very first release just showing off the weapons and stuff
Firing BFG 9000 (old)
Chainsaw!!!!! (old)

The Download
And no it's not an installer. Read the very top of this post for clarification.

----Most Recent Update-------
Posted Image

----10/13/07-------
Download Link

-------10/8/07 update---------
Download Link

-------9/3/07 update----------
Download Link

-------8/21/07 update---------
Download Link

-------8/17/07 update---------
Download Link

Code to put the Doom 2D banner and link into your signature
Here's the code to put into the signature to make it appear and link to this topic just like the one in my signature.
[url=http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=321527][img]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g157/ill_stuff/banner-1.jpg[/img][/url]

Edited by Potnop, 06 October 2008 - 08:28 AM.

Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his powerlevel?!? It's ovER 9000!!!!!
I ownt read da script, script reads me.

Link To The Super Crew Topic / Link To Colonial Commando Topic
Platform Pathfinding Example Download it here!
Editable Early Version Level Editor(Nice @$$ stuff, check it out) Download it here!

#2 mattpk

mattpk

GMC Member

• 821 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:16 PM

Ill download. this sounds okay. The gorund doesn't look to nice though.
Well great. but for some reason a sprite of a chainsaw didn't go away. maybe you gotta fix it so lag wont mess up anything. also your arm goes throug the wall and it looks like the bullet comes out of the center of the person

Edited by mattpk, 16 August 2007 - 08:31 PM.

#3 _oddisy

_oddisy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 813 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:18 PM

not bad, but i couldnt exit the game i got lucky hitting f12 and i got an error changing rooms. ESC didnt work.

#4 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:19 PM

This is still kindof an engine demo...

I haven't gotten around to adding any tilesets... Those black ground tiles are the wall collision masks that are gonna be invisible once I add tiles.

The weapon animations and sounds are all done though so I thought I'd post that...

I started on this game yesterday morning...

Oh, and to quit press F10.... Damn, should've put that in the controls... I'll put it in the first post...

Edited by Potnop, 16 August 2007 - 08:20 PM.

Editable Early Version Level Editor(Nice @$$ stuff, check it out) Download it here!

#5 _oddisy

_oddisy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 813 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:23 PM

yea just playing with the f buttons lol f11 is reset room

Edited by sneekyllama, 16 August 2007 - 08:23 PM.

#6 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:30 PM

F9 is restart game, F10 is quit, F11 is previous room, and F12 is next room.

There's actually a room in the beginning for initializing everything that needs to be initialized, you don't see it because it goes to the next room one step later...

Heh, in case you're wondering...

#7 Christhewall

Christhewall

GMC Member

• 390 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:39 PM

It would be nicer if you zoomed in the view, instead of letting them see the whole stage at once. Makes things more interesting. Also real life picture backgrounds look ackward with cartoony graphics. Perhaps you should consider making your own background.

#8 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:58 PM

Heh, I said the exact same thing to some other guy once...

Well the background is ripped from Doom for now, and I tried to shade the sprites so they look as realistic as possible so I keep the style of Doom's graphics intact. Do they really look cartoony? I thought they looked pretty realistic...

Eventually I will make my own skies, I just have the original Doom ones for now

Edited by Potnop, 16 August 2007 - 09:00 PM.

#9 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:12 PM

Well, OK... I added a little update. All the guns are now fully functional and have all their effects showing up correctly.

#10 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:01 AM

Hmm, not getting as much attention as I thought. I shouldn't have released those earlier versions.

This new update is truly awesome though. I think you guys will really be impressed with this one...

#11 T.V

T.V

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:07 AM

I like it a lot.
when I saw it I said ow man not another doom clone...but this is really good, also..

UCS-no!
UAC-yes!

if your going to add new weapons, add the normal zombie's rifle!
the mancubus flme thrower and that stuff.......

#12 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:37 AM

That tileset is from a different game. I'm currently working on a Doom themed tileset and it has a UAC logo...

Here's a slightly older verison of how it'll look. I'm still not done with all the tiles and I will create new "textures" as well as replicating the most classic well known Doom textures.
Posted Image

Also the reason I'm doing this is because all you see is Halo, Mario, Sonic, and Pokemon clones. I don't see too many Doom clones and I always wanted to make a Doom platformer, or a Quake or Duke Nukem 3D 2D one. Kinda funny though because Duke Nukem Started out as a platformer...

Anyway... The next update will be HUGE!!!!! I'd put it out right now but I wanna get the HUD finished, add the Imp, add some healthpacks and ammo, and finish the demo level. Once I get all that done it will seem more like a game and not a crappy little engine demo. I think the next update will seriously generate some replies unlike the previous updates... I'm surprised Halo and Sonic clones are getting more replies than this game.

Anyway, what I have right now is fun enough for me to play around with as it is. The monsters are so cool. There are even a few surprises that if you guys played Doom you should remember... I also spent like 2 days getting their sound alert code right and improving difficulty and AI.

Heh is that a Quake 4 helmet? I forget what the guys look like since I haven't played that in a while...

Edited by Potnop, 01 September 2007 - 08:40 AM.

#13 death-droid

death-droid

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2600 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 11:06 AM

Pretty nice the graphics look very doomish.

The background you need to get rid of and make it a metal background if theres a bit outside then make the metal background to cover the bit where there isnt outside and add in that other background in the part where you want it.

Posted Image

#14 AC-426

AC-426

GMC Member

• 400 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 11:33 AM

Is your current wall texture the one used for the floor in the original Doom?

The game looks great so far.

I'm surprised Halo and Sonic clones are getting more replies than this game.

Please don't say things like that. It makes it look like you're jealous.
Patience : )

·· FactionWars ·· Subspace Gaming
· ·· Blazezone···· ·· Andy E.H.
··· ·· 3D FPS········· ·· WarriorArtiste
····· ·· DOOM 2D······ ·· Potnop

#15 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:21 PM

LOL, yes I'm jealous... I've been doing like nothing but working on this for the past month because when I go off to college I want to spend more time socializing and get all the technical stuff outta the way so all I have to do is add more badguys and make levels... That way my room mates won't think I'm too nerdy LOL...

The background you need to get rid of and make it a metal background if theres a bit outside then make the metal background to cover the bit where there isnt outside and add in that other background in the part where you want it.

Uh I'm confused...

Anyway.... Here are some screenshots of the game right now. I only have the metal texture as the floors right now....

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Potnop, 01 September 2007 - 07:29 PM.

#16 T.V

T.V

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 03:34 AM

LOL, yes I'm jealous...  I've been doing like nothing but working on this for the past month because when I go off to college I want to spend more time socializing and get all the technical stuff outta the way so all I have to do is add more badguys and make levels...  That way my room mates won't think I'm too nerdy LOL...

*quote*Uh I'm confused...

Anyway....  Here are some screenshots of the game right now.  I only have the metal texture as the floors right now....

*pic*

omg awsm looool!

this will will be the best doom clone

[ifdiffstoryline]teammates![/ifdiffstoryline]

Edited by T.V, 02 September 2007 - 03:39 AM.

#17 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:39 AM

Hmm I was thinking of having teammates. Usually I have teammates when the AI for the enemies is exactly the same as team mate AI like in Blue Commando SE.

I guess maybe I could make a different set of AI for the teammates since Doom monster AI just wouldn't cut it for them... Or I could have them just have a more aggressive form of AI where they don't wander around like idiots and have a higher attack chance and stuff...

Could work... Although the levels would have to be simpler for the parts where you have teammates since I'm not planning on putting in any platform game path finding system like I am in this other one game I was making.

This Doom AI is like the simplest AI I ever had to make...

#18 death-droid

death-droid

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2600 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:14 AM

LOL, yes I'm jealous...  I've been doing like nothing but working on this for the past month because when I go off to college I want to spend more time socializing and get all the technical stuff outta the way so all I have to do is add more badguys and make levels...  That way my room mates won't think I'm too nerdy LOL...

Uh I'm confused...

Anyway.... Here are some screenshots of the game right now. I only have the metal texture as the floors right now....

Posted Image
Posted Image

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That looks so good now i dont know why people haven posted about this much???

Posted Image

#19 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:27 AM

Well thx... I think I'll put those on page 1...

#20 Coffee

Coffee

Light and Sweet

• GMC Member
  • 2351 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 12:34 PM

Hm, seems like a pretty solid engine there, the weapons came out fantastic. Good job, I really see potential in this game.

vmh.png Come Play Hungry Hungry Frogs!

#21 T.V

T.V

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 03:46 PM

Hmm I was thinking of having teammates.  Usually I have teammates when the AI for the enemies is exactly the same as team mate AI like in Blue Commando SE.

I guess maybe I could make a different set of AI for the teammates since Doom monster AI just wouldn't cut it for them...  Or I could have them just have a more aggressive form of AI where they don't wander around like idiots and have a higher attack chance and stuff...

Could work...  Although the levels would have to be simpler for the parts where you have teammates since I'm not planning on putting in any platform game path finding system like I am in this other one game I was making.

This Doom AI is like the simplest AI I ever had to make...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the monsters AI could be simple: when they see you they run aggresively,imps or zombies come closer slowly and shoot (I lol'd whit the zombies in this one)

the teammates follow you normally like the ones in blue C

just, make them a bit more intelligent: Commands! I dont want to have them run and die, I want to tell em what to do

Edited by T.V, 02 September 2007 - 03:48 PM.

#22 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:53 PM

Well the BC AI was very easy to follow you around since it was an arcade style level. There was no chance for them to get lost. If the player was to their right they simply go right, and if he's to their left they go left.

For Colonial Commando I'm working a platform game path finding thing so you can make huge levels and make the AI not get lost because they follow nodes and stuff...

I don't feel like doing all that for Doom 2D though... Well maybe I might now that I think about it... This is the precursor engine for Colonial Commando. It will make the more aggressive monsters seem smarter.

The zombies have the lowliest AI and they just wander around cuz they are braindead and stuff. The imps and hellknights and all those guys will need the good AI since they are supposed to be intelligent hellspawn and stuff, so maybe I'll add in the complex AI pathfinding thing.

#23 T.V

T.V

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:57 PM

My doom dream:

teammates! lol!

Posted Image

#24 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 05:10 AM

Heh yeah... I remember also thinking about whether or not I'd be able to have teammates when making my own Doom levels for Zdoom... Would be cool...

Anyway I'm a bit delayed now since I'm trying to fix my iPod. I was at the beach and the waves rushed up at me and it was in the water for like 2 seconds, and now it stopped working... What a piece of $h!t.

#25 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:08 AM

Uh, OK. I'm bumping up real quick since I uploaded the latest version.

This can finally be considered a game, although there is no level exit. The end of the demo level is just a dead end so far...

#26 T.V

T.V

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:55 PM

Uh, OK.  I'm bumping up real quick since I uploaded the latest version.

This can finally be considered a game, although there is no level exit.  The end of the demo level is just a dead end so far...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cool!

#27 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 02:46 AM

so, what are some comments other than "cool!"

How was the tileset, can you tell exactly what part was solid and what wasn't on the metal thing? I need to make the tileset perfect and stuff...

#28 freaked

freaked

freak up!

• 890 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:04 AM

This game is good. DL'ing.
Looks good. Dont leave it to die, work on it.

#29 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:58 AM

Heh, of course... I feel like working on it now...

Soon I'll be in college in like 2 days and then I'll either be able to put a lot of attention into it again, or I'll be kinda busy, IDK. But I won't give up when I wasted a whole week of doing nothing but working on this back when my foot was in pain and I couldn't get up from the computer too much...

#30 AC-426

AC-426

GMC Member

• 400 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:56 PM

But I won't give up when I wasted a whole week of doing nothing but working on this back when my foot was in pain and I couldn't get up from the computer too much...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quick, somebody shoot him in the foot! :lol:

EDIT:

I just played the newest version. Looking good!

Please show the version number in the first post.
"Doom2D_9_3_07.exe", that's just the date I assume.

Suggestions / Observations:

* I couldn't really tell which tiles were solid. Maybe you could give them a shadow to make them stand out?
* Let the monsters slide a bit when killed like in the original Doom.
* The HUD obscures the game objects at the bottom.
* The crouch animation looks a bit weird because he always steps forward with the same foot.
* Make him bounce a bit while running. Right now it looks like he's on rollerblades.
* Glitch: Place the crosshair very close to the Doom guy's center (a couple of pixels to the side and below the center). He will look up while aiming down.

* Punching doesn't do any damage?
* You can shoot enemies that are way out of view.
* Assign keys to Weapon Next/Prev.
* Please make it so that you can jump using both W and Space.

* Play a click sound when player is out of ammo and tries to shoot.
* Play a sound when player jumps, lands, hurts, etc.

Keep up the good work, Potnop :)

Edited by AC-426, 06 September 2007 - 05:16 PM.

#31 killer991011

killer991011

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 597 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:51 PM

Potnop I can't send you a message for some reason but may...

I use this tileset:
Posted Image

Which I created from the image on this post:
http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=323858&hl=

For my platformer game?
I will give credit if you request it

Oh and about your game I get this error when I run the main game and the Level Editor:

for object Loading_Engine:

Failed to initialize loading engine

Edited by killer991011, 06 September 2007 - 05:00 PM.

#32 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:02 PM

Oh yeah. I know about the aiming bug. I'll see what I can do if that's a problem.

And it would be extremely difficult to make the player bounce when walking. He is drawn from many different parts, such as arms, legs, and stuff. It was hard enough aligning the arms and the head with the body where they should be. It's gonna be an extra challenge adding a bob to the animation...

And yeah, I forgot to add melee damage. My bad. Next version...

And you're supposed to be able to shoot enemies way out of view. They are still active. I would think it would be annoying if the bullets stopped right out of view. Or maybe now that I think about it that brought my attention to a slight problem with the bullets and view, which is what you might be talking about too. The enemies are inactive in a smaller region than the deactivation region. Technically they are still active, their AI and platform engine is just not active. But they would still collide with bullets, so I gotta fix that...

For next verison I'm gonna add weapon next and weapon previous. I have that key defined in my game, it just doesn't do anything yet. I want it to be the mousewheel actions, but there doesn't seem to be a way to check it in code which is really annoying. I have the game set up so the player can define custom keyes.

Also just like in original Doom you switch weapons when running out of ammo, so I'll work on that...

As for jumping with both w and space, you'll be able to define custom controls as I said earlier so yeah... I jsut don't have an interface for that yet. You'd have to go in and manually change the config loading script.

And I guess I can make the HUD more transparent than it already is. I guess I'll add that as another option...

@ killer 991021243445....

Sure I guess... you can use it. Are you also making a doom platformer? It's mostly a doom like style. And I think I have the tileset stored externally under resources/tilesets. But that might be an older one though that doesn't look as good. The one used in game is stored archived under Doom2D.wad. If you get the level editor to work you can rip it much easier from that and stuff... Heh...

Anyway IDK why the editor isn't running for you. Did you extract the entire Doom 2D archive? All the files are required. I kinda commented out the code that checks if files are missing on startup of the level editor so it doesn't give you any errors telling you that files are missing but I don't see what else the problem could be...

Oh you say it also doesn't work with the game too? Yeah, definately, you need to extract the entire archive. That mist be the problem.

Edited by Potnop, 06 September 2007 - 05:12 PM.

#33 killer991011

killer991011

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 597 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:11 PM

The game is a sort of metallic sort of style but not Doom.

Do you want credit for the tileset?

And anymore I add too the tileset will be original so no more ripping for me :)

And yes I extracted everything

Edited by killer991011, 06 September 2007 - 05:12 PM.

#34 AC-426

AC-426

GMC Member

• 400 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:14 PM

Oh yeah. I know about the aiming bug. I'll see what I can do if that's a problem

It's not a problem at all. It's hardly noticable. Just mentioning it :)

I have the game set up so the player can define custom keyes.

That's really great news. I wish more people would do that.

And I guess I can make the HUD more transparent than it already is.  I guess I'll add that as another option...

Hmm.. what if you made it like id's Doom? I mean so that the game view ends where the HUD starts. Don't like that?

#35 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:16 PM

You can give me credit for making a tiny portion of your tileset I guess...

OK, weird. I don't see how it can not be working. What are your system specs and stuff? Try unarchiving it again.

And uh, I wonder if it has anything to do with you not running under an administrator account? What account are you on Windows? And what version of Windows do you have. It should work on Vista since I made the game with GM7, but maybe for some reason the 7za.exe program might be being blocked from running and Windows Vista is F'in GAAAYYYY sometimes with that stuff...

Oh and I thought about making the HUD bar be taking up the whole view at the bottom but I didn't like the fact that 64 pixels of the whole bottom area would be invisible. Normally I add little HUD pictures in the corners and stuff that don't obstruct the view too much when i make games, but since this is Doom I made it like that. I might add an option to make the HUD bar dissapear and show info in corners just like in source ports for Doom nowadays.

Edited by Potnop, 06 September 2007 - 05:20 PM.

#36 blue123

blue123

GMC Member

• 365 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:26 PM

I downloaded it and played it. It was quite good, I have to say. The shotguns are rather overpowered, though.

#37 killer991011

killer991011

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 597 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:30 PM

Here my specs:

Manufacturer: NVIDIA 
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8GHz 
Memory: 1024MB RAM 
Hard Drive: 60 GB With A Spare 40 GB Drive 
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor 1280x1024 Native Resolution 32 Bit Colour 
Sound Card: NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio 
Speakers/Headphones: Philips SHC2000 Headphones Multimedia Microphone 
Keyboard: USB With Built On USB Hubs 
Mouse: USB Wireless Optical 
Mouse Surface: Basic Mouse Mat 
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp.060411-1541)

#38 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:34 PM

Heh, OK... Looks like it should work...

Looks kinda low spec so if you get it to work tell me the FPS. I know on mine it runs at 30 FPS and on a 7 year old computer I have it runs at 15 FPS if the level has a lot of wall objects active at once.

Have you tried unarchiving it again?

And the shotguns are like they are in Doom. The damage is the same and so is the enemy health. The only thing I might not have gotten right is the spread but whatever...

You're fighting zombie dudes and in Doom you could always kill those in 1 shotgun blast. And sometimes more than one. I had to down the power by making it so the bullets have a chance to collide with an enemy with zero health in that step so not all shotgun shells go through a dead guy. Before, you could kill like a huge amount of guys all in a row until I fixed that. Just wait until I add the tougher monsters.

And the super shotgun as roughly 3 times as powerful as the normal shotgun. The normal one sends out 7 pellets while the super shotgun sends out 20. 7 * 3 = 21 so it's almost there...

Edited by Potnop, 06 September 2007 - 05:38 PM.

#39 killer991011

killer991011

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 597 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:42 PM

Yea i've tried unarchiving it and its still not working. Am I missing something a DLL requires?

#40 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:56 PM

Wow I have no idea...

It looks like a problem with the REAL loading thing. How much free space is on your drive?

#41 killer991011

killer991011

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 597 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:00 PM

1.34 GB lol

#42 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:05 PM

OK... And are you running an administrator account? I really hope this has nothing to do with the admin thing...

Can you list the files that are in your Doom 2D folder?

There should be

-7za.exe
-Doom2D.wad
-The Doom 2D executable file
-fmodex.dll
-imageconversion.dll
-The level editor execuable (LE_0_09)
-ReadOnly.dll
-Run.dll
-supercrypt.dll
-SXMS-3.dll

And there should be 2 folders
-Editor Files
-Resources

#43 killer991011

killer991011

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 597 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:07 PM

The files/folders are there and I am on an Admin account.

Anyway i'm having diner now so i'll post back later

#44 grandhighgamer

grandhighgamer

Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 3876 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:07 PM

Reckon ya have enough Link Libraries yet?

GHG WUZ ERE

#45 AC-426

AC-426

GMC Member

• 400 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:14 PM

Potnop, got a support banner?

#46 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:14 AM

Reckon ya have enough Link Libraries yet?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No... LOL, JK. Well actually I don't need the image converison one anymore since I moved to GM7 and that can load PNGs just fine.

And I haven't really made a support Doom 2D banner yet... Where can I get one of those banner makers, or do I just do it myself? I never really made one of those before...

#47 AC-426

AC-426

GMC Member

• 400 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:50 AM

And I haven't really made a support Doom 2D banner yet...  Where can I get one of those banner makers, or do I just do it myself?  I never really made one of those before...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try to make one yourself. If you're not happy with it, make a request. There are plenty of people who like to make banners -_-
I don't think they use a specific banner program.

#48 Lukearentz

Lukearentz

My Two Cents

• 2587 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:10 AM

I am an original Doom Doom II Doom Tnt/Plutonia LOVER.. DoomIII not so much but anyway. This is one of the first games that i have played that will make me consider playing it again.. I love it heaps its really good and i want u to keep up the really good work -_- :P :blink:
I have left the GMC, and my domain is no longer registered to me.
All previous links will not work, for any information/links please PM me, and I may be able to help you

#49 Blarg

Blarg

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:20 PM

As a fan of both Doom and 2d platformers, I must say this looks EXTREMELY promising. The engine runs smoothly and the custom graphics look great, as well as the controls... Although that "f10 to quit" thing was kinda confusing at first.
I'd love to give it a 10 but I have to take off points because there's only 1 level and the editor is sort of confusing... If it was only one of those it'd be a nine. :)
8/10, keep up the excellent work.

#50 Potnop

Potnop

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3103 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:50 PM

Heh yeah. I have yet to write a proper help file for the editor and fix some other stuff in the editor.

I'm gonna make a nice tutorial for it when it's ready.

Also I need like 2 people maybe to help me make levels in the future. Making just that demo level was quite a bit of work for me and I think I'm gonna need some help. I'm planning on making around 30-40 levels not including the secret levels. Hopefully when I add new features and improve the current ones it will be even less tedious to make the levels. I shudder to think how annoying it would have been to make that demo level with the Game maker room editor.

Heh I myself love TNT Evilution the best out of all the Doom games, even though it was originally gonna be a set of user made levels made by pros and not a full commercial product. I just love the techy style. Playing Plutonia makes me feel worn out and full of dread at hearing so many revenants all over the place, but it's cool too. Doom 1 levels feel a bit bland. And in Doom 2 some of the city levels are a bit boring, like "Factory" and "Courtyard" and "Downtown". They looked nothing like actual cities.

Here's a banner I made.
Posted Image

Here's the code to put into the signature to make it appear and link to this topic.
[url=http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=321527][img]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g157/ill_stuff/banner-1.jpg[/img][/url]

Edited by Potnop, 07 September 2007 - 08:21 PM.