63 replies to this topic

#51 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:58 PM

Jay, first game using my extension. Haven't heard the theramin in games a lot, I must say. It does give it a rather... eery sound. Well done.

The game itself reminds me very much of the classic 8-bit arcade hall or home console games - the blocky fonts, the limited set of colours, the music... Also nice to see you make a point of using non-conventional drawing methods to build up the screen. Having no pretentious storyline helps too.

I haven't played it very far (the controls take some time to get used to), so I'll have to see how it progresses. The replay value may be a little low if there is not much more progress in there than the increasing speed. For a retro gamer it might work but I'm not sure about today's audience.

In order to play the music format, I have utilized Smarty's brand-new GM BASSMOD.  This means that you will now have to unzip the WinZip directories before playing (sorry).

To avoid that, you could include the external files with the game executable and have them extracted at runtime (Global Game Settings -> Include tab). It is best to extract them to the game's temporary directory (Vista may not allow extraction where the game is) but you'll have to edit the initialisation script to make sure the game finds the DLL.

#52 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:56 PM

Thanks for the comments, Smarty! I don't think I've ever heard the Theremin in game music, so perhaps that's another first.

The game indeed progresses with enemy types; there are twelve enemy types that come gradually. It takes about a half hour to get to the toughest enemy, though the game still continually accelerates.

Having no pretentious storyline helps too.

Good point; I don't know if any type of storyline would fit. The game is more about a concept, and uses various themes to reinforce the style.

As for the 'include' function, I did not know that the game could use those temporary files even from within the zip directory. I don't think I'll change it, though; most people are in the habit of extracting things anyway. Also, I don't have Vista, so I won't know whether it would work right or not on the platform. Thanks for the information, though.

I have fixed some minor options bugs, and improved the icon. The update (Version 1.5) has been uploaded.

Thanks to all!

~ Theta Games

Edited by thetagames, 15 February 2008 - 11:05 PM.

#53 RCCarThief

RCCarThief

GMC Member

• 191 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:15 PM

Wow, very nice. The music is amazing and the gameplay is very enjoyable. I like the fact that the colors are random whenever you start a new game. <_< The skill curve is perfect and the game is very original. I'd love to see another game in this series.

Wraxul Gaming Site
If I've given you feedback on your game, please give one of mine a try and return the favor! Thanks in advance!

#54 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:41 PM

Wow, very nice.  The music is amazing and the gameplay is very enjoyable.  I like the fact that the colors are random whenever you start a new game.  <_<  The skill curve is perfect and the game is very original.  I'd love to see another game in this series.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the comments! The colors are just set by picking random RGB values for the background stuff (i.e. the radar), and adding 127 to each of these values to draw the shooter, text, and stuff 'on top. You can randomize them again in-game by pressing F12. I'm glad you liked the music as well; it was self-composed.

I think I might make an R-Theta III. If I do, it probably would be the next game that I will create. Thanks again!

~ Theta Games

#55 Seth52

Seth52

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 664 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:16 PM

Very unique game! Heres my review:

Gameplay = 8/10
"Addicting, unique gameplay that kept me playing for about 30 minutes. Good use of effects to create that cool graphics style as well."

Graphics = 7/10
"Simple, but really cool. Can't think of any other graphics style that would fit that game so good work on that."

Sound = 9/10
"Almost perfect use of sound."

Music = 8/10
"The menu music was kinda wierd but once I started the game and the gameplay music took over it was great."

Overall = 8/10
"Good work acomplishing a very unique and fun game."

Seth

Posted Image
[ Like us! -Posted Image : Posted Image- Follow us! ]

#56 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:12 PM

Very unique game! Heres my review:

Gameplay = 8/10
"Addicting, unique gameplay that kept me playing for about 30 minutes. Good use of effects to create that cool graphics style as well."

Graphics = 7/10
"Simple, but really cool. Can't think of any other graphics style that would fit that game so good work on that."

Sound = 9/10
"Almost perfect use of sound."

Music = 8/10
"The menu music was kinda wierd but once I started the game and the gameplay music took over it was great."

Overall = 8/10
"Good work acomplishing a very unique and fun game."

Seth

Wow, thanks a lot for the review! I think it is the first actual review I've had for this thread. The menu music is supposed to be a little weird. Did you like the Theremin intro?

Thanks again!

~ Theta Games

EDIT: I just noticed, I have three topics on the first page. :P

Edited by thetagames, 06 April 2008 - 09:13 PM.

#57 Seth52

Seth52

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 664 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:07 AM

Thermin intro? Sorry, I'm not sure what that is.

Seth

Posted Image

#58 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:50 AM

Thermin intro? Sorry, I'm not sure what that is.

Seth

When you first start the game, that crazy, wavy sound is a sample of me on a Theremin. The Theremin is an early synthesizer that you play without touching. There are two antennae, one for each hand. The distance from each hand to each antenna determines the pitch and volume of the sound. They used the instrument a lot for those old sci-fi movies of the 1950's.

#59 Seth52

Seth52

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 664 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:31 AM

Oh. Yea, it was kinda cool, kinda wierd too.

Seth

Posted Image

#60 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:34 AM

Oh. Yea, it was kinda cool, kinda wierd too.

Seth

It's a pretty sweet instrument. :P

#61 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:16 AM

Just to let everyone know, R-Theta II (along with The Red Wedge) has been featured in TIGSource's Indie Games Database, here!

#62 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:06 AM

Neato! Sorry this game doesn't get much attention... It's so original too. People look at shmup, then at the creator. If it's not Cactus, then they say, "Oh, it's just another shoot 'em up." I've had the same problem. Maybe I should just say:

Solar Blue
3d Online Shooter

Yes it's a lie, but people don't know that until they enter the topic :GM026:. Maybe they'll think they wasted there time clicking the topic, why not dl the game while they're here?

Seriously though, this game is very original. It really does need more attention. Offer free cookies maybe?

Posted Image
Check out my website (above) for finished and upcoming games.
Solar Blue-The Mansion-God's Watch
Note: My name has changed. My old name was STARFOXROX.

#63 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:48 PM

Neato! Sorry this game doesn't get much attention... It's so original too. People look at shmup, then at the creator. If it's not Cactus, then they say, "Oh, it's just another shoot 'em up." I've had the same problem. Maybe I should just say:

Solar Blue
3d Online Shooter

Yes it's a lie, but people don't know that until they enter the topic :whistle:. Maybe they'll think they wasted there time clicking the topic, why not dl the game while they're here?

Seriously though, this game is very original. It really does need more attention. Offer free cookies maybe?

Thanks for the support. I know what you mean; it is just the way of these forums. I thought people might be intrigued by the 'circular SHMUP' concept in the title. Maybe people are turned off by the discussion of polar coordinates in beginning of the topic? Cactus' games are good, be he's not the only one creating original SHMUP's.

#64 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:50 PM

Just to let eveyone know, R-Theta II is now a Featured game on YoYoGames.