Here is a mirror:
Download from WillHostForFood

WINDOWS VISTA USERS!!! Here is a compatible version, from Host-A:

Download Vista Compatible Version

R-THETA II is also located on the Theta Games Home Page

Specifications:

Title: R-THETA II, Expanded Edition
Genre: Original, Abstract 'SHMUP' Arcade Game
Download Size: 2.9 MB zipped (3.3 MB for Vista Compatible Version)
File Type: A '.zip' archive that contains the main executable, README.txt, two DLL's that allow for module music playback, and unmo3.exe, which converts the compressed '.mo3' modules into a usable format for the DLL's to use.
Resolution: No change, full screen
Version: 1.5
Written In: :D.1 Registered

Overview:

R-THETA II is the sequel to the innovative game R-THETA. Like its predecessor, it is based entirely in polar coordinates. For more explanation on this, click here. Basically, everything is based on a circle, in this case a radar-like device. As in the original, you move a shooter up and down the radar-scope line as it spins, and shoot enemies as they come to you, preventing them from hitting the line. As the game progresses, the line rotates faster. The sequel features two new weapons, including Rapid-Fire and Missile, and two new enemies, including a Shooter (it fires disabling shots at you) and an enemy that charges at the radar-scope line.

For the topic on the original R-THETA, click here.

Expanded Edition Includes:

- Nine new enemies, each with distinct behaviors.

- 'Combos' system. You get extra points for killing large numbers of enemies in a short time.

- Game Options, including difficulty settings, sound volume, adjusting special effects (i.e. motion blur, screen-shaking), and fully customizable controls. All options are saved even after you quit the game.

- Other improvements, including quit confirmations, more randomized enemy spawning locations, a better scoring system, and much more!

Controls:

The controls of the game are fully customizable through the options menu. Simply press <F2> at the title screen, then select 'Controls . . .'

Default Controls (can be changed):

<UP>: Increase radius of shooter (move it away from the centre)
<DOWN>: Decrease radius of shooter (move it toward the centre)
<Z>: Fire Missile
<X> [hold]: Fire Rapid-Fire
<C>: Fire Standard Shot

Screenshots:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Click on the above images to view full-size screenshots of the game.

Notes:

- Like the original R-THETA, this game has no set colour schemes. The game randomly generates colours that will fit well together.

- An earlier version of this game has been featured in a variety of places, including the Independent Gaming website, a similar Czech website (Hrej.cz), and on a cover CD of the Octover 22nd issue of the Czech computing magazine Svĕt-Pocitacu ('Computer World').

- The music is self-composed, as well as all but one of the audio effects.

- NEW [Version 1.1] I have changed the music from MIDI format to module format, which means that there should be no more lag at the loop point of the MIDI pieces. The volume of the music can now be dynamically changed as well.

- This game has been featured on the HomeBrewPCGaming GM Arcade, as well as on the Independent Gaming website and www.the2bears.com.

Edited by thetagames, 26 December 2008 - 03:48 PM.

#2 Mordi

Mordi

Maker of Menus

• 3635 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:47 PM

Will edit whenever i get around to testing it. Is it inspired by the game with the similar name on Commodore 64? R-Type?
Actually, i can tell that its not. :D

Edited by Mordi, 12 August 2007 - 08:05 PM.

#3 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:52 PM

Oops, accidentally pressed "post new topic" too soon.  Editing . . .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hehe. Can i quote you on that? :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's funny :D . Seriously, this isn't a nOOb game; I just made a mistake. In a couple of minutes, this topic will be fully described and downloadable.

EDIT: Sorry about the premature post; it was an honest mistake. The topic is finished now, and everything is fully downloadable.

Edited by thetagames, 12 August 2007 - 09:01 PM.

#4 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:10 PM

Will edit whenever i get around to testing it. Is it inspired by the game with the similar name on Commodore 64? R-Type?
Actually, i can tell that its not. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks! No, this game is not based on that, because I've never even heard of it! :D

To all: Please give this a try, and let me know what you think.

Thank you!

Edited by thetagames, 12 August 2007 - 08:58 PM.

#5 10nitro

10nitro

GMC Member

• 67 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:14 PM

Could you please just download GM7, open the file, and make a Vista compatible game, becouse I'm struck with Vista for the moment... I'll have XP (,95 and 2000) back soon.

#6 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:54 AM

I've posted a Vista-Compatible version, thanks to the help of 10nitro.

Here is the download, from Host-A.

#7 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:59 PM

Posted Image
Hard game! Gotta keep trying. Good work!

"One man's constant is another man's variable." - Alan Perlis
The Black Tome

#8 10nitro

10nitro

GMC Member

• 67 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:30 PM

Very nice additons to the game. Like JTR said its hard... um...I can see i giving someone a siezure though. Seriously the vibrating is a bit annoying.

I use the word "though" too much.

#9 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:38 PM

Hard game! Gotta keep trying. Good work!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a very disturbing picture. Anyway, it would be very easy to slow down the learning curve. The sometimes-upside-down and inverted controls really take a bit to get used to, but I guess that's part of the game. I thought the original R-THETA was a bit too easy. My hint: use the different weapons together. You can hold down the Rapid-Fire button and fire your other weapons at the same time. (the Rapid-Fire will fire less, but it will still add to your firepower) Thanks for your comment!

Very nice additons to the game. Like JTR said its hard... um...I can see i giving someone a siezure though. Seriously the vibrating is a bit annoying.

I use the word "though" too much.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know; I kind of like the vibrating. I can make a way to turn it off, though. Also, I figured this game would be fine considering some of the SHMUPS and other games I've seen on this forum with much more robust effects. However, its better to be safe than sorry:

Generally, flashing lights between the frequencies of five to 30 flashes per second (Hertz) are most likely to trigger seizures. In order to be safe, the consensus recommends that photosensitive individuals should not be exposed to flashes greater than three per second.

The colour changes for the enemies are at 30 htz, as is the colour changes for the beginning "Theta Games Presents." However, I would have to research this further, because everything in the game is no more than two pixels wide. (there is not that much area that is flashing) Again, I have seen much more of this in other games.

This is important insight, as many people with photosensitive epilepsy do not even know about it. I'll research this further, but until then, bear in mind that this is a video game, and all video games carry a warning that cautions those who are prone to seizures.

Thanks for all your comments!

~ thetagames

#10 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:13 PM

That's a very disturbing picture.

The kitten isn't really dead. :) (It's mouth wouldn't be that open. It's probably yawning.)

The Black Tome

#11 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:20 PM

The kitten isn't really dead. :) (It's mouth wouldn't be that open. It's probably yawning.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just thought that because its mouth was so red. Anyway, do you think I should make the learning curve easier? I thought the original R-THETA was too easy. (or course, it just could be that I was used to it)

#12 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:14 PM

Yeah, you should probably make the first few minutes a little calmer or add a practice mode. (No scores in that one, obviously.)

The Black Tome

#13 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:37 PM

This deserves more attention. It's much better than the original, and is a very cool little shoot'em'up.

This version was a lot more fun. It was also a much bigger challenge, which the previous one lacked. Maybe the 3rd one will have more kinds of ships, more enemies, and more weapons. You could probably think up new game modes as well (such as a clock-wise mode).

I really enjoyed this, I'd give it a 9/10. (All those effects where really cool, I especially liked the missile's explotions).

My final score was 5956.

PS: I thought the learning curve was spot on. Not too hard and not to easy in the beginning. I also don't think the effects are overly flashy at all. As you mentioned before, nothing is thick enough to really draw away your attention or cause physical problems.

Edited by STARFOXROX, 14 August 2007 - 08:39 PM.

Posted Image
Check out my website (above) for finished and upcoming games.
Solar Blue-The Mansion-God's Watch
Note: My name has changed. My old name was STARFOXROX.

#14 10nitro

10nitro

GMC Member

• 67 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:41 PM

I was joking about the siezure thing... people who have it really bad can get one just looking at a screen... that would suck.

Anyway, I realized I should probably check out the sound (I usually have the sound off). Like all your other games the sound drasticly changes the mood. With sound on the game should definately be played in fullscreen. Without sound I recomend windowed view. I personally think there should be stronger music in main gameplay, although when you get into a game the sound effects serve, and will match the intensity perfectly (high intensity=more events=more sound effects=more intense music). I recomend putting in strong music and using something like
sound_volume(index,key_presses_in_last_minuet/120);

8.75/10, ten being PERFECT, not what is expected, so pretty good

Edited by 10nitro, 14 August 2007 - 09:45 PM.

#15 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 12:25 AM

Yeah, you should probably make the first few minutes a little calmer or add a practice mode. (No scores in that one, obviously.)

I don't think I'll make a practice mode, but I might adjust the beginning speed a bit, though not too much. Your game Death Worm starts off pretty slow, but really builds in intensity once those 'bunker busters' start falling. (I guess you're a fan of that type of learning curve. :D Personally, I like to be challenged right off the bat, but that is just my preference)

This deserves more attention. It's much better than the original, and is a very cool little shoot'em'up.

This version was a lot more fun. It was also a much bigger challenge, which the previous one lacked. Maybe the 3rd one will have more kinds of ships, more enemies, and more weapons. You could probably think up new game modes as well (such as a clock-wise mode).

I really enjoyed this, I'd give it a 9/10. (All those effects where really cool, I especially liked the missile's explotions).

My final score was 5956.

PS: I thought the learning curve was spot on. Not too hard and not to easy in the beginning. I also don't think the effects are overly flashy at all. As you mentioned before, nothing is thick enough to really draw away your attention or cause physical problems.

Thanks a lot! I don't know if I'll make an R-THETA III. If I did, it would have to blow away R-THETA II like R-THETA II blew away R-THETA I. I could venture into 3D gaming, though polar coordinates are very complicated in 3D :P

I simply could not think of more than three types of weapons that would fit well in the game, along with three enemies. First of all, there is only so much you can do in polar coordinates, and second of all, I think the number 'three' has good symmetry in games. (I guess that means I have to make and R-THETA III! :D ) All of the enemies are drawn with lines, so I can only go so far. (sprites do not work well in polar coordinates)

I liked the explosions, too. They were fun to program. If you notice, they kind of orbit around the centre, because they are given a random 'radius-speed' and 'theta-speed' when created.

I was joking about the siezure thing... people who have it really bad can get one just looking at a screen... that would suck.

Anyway, I realized I should probably check out the sound (I usually have the sound off). Like all your other games the sound drasticly changes the mood. With sound on the game should definately be played in fullscreen. Without sound I recomend windowed view. I personally think there should be stronger music in main gameplay, although when you get into a game the sound effects serve, and will match the intensity perfectly (high intensity=more events=more sound effects=more intense music). I recomend putting in strong music and using something like

sound_volume(index,key_presses_in_last_minuet/120);

8.75/10, ten being PERFECT, not what is expected, so pretty good

I agree. I feel sound and music is one of the most important aspects of a game. It can really define a game as either serious, or just cheesy. For this game, all of the sound effects (except one, can you guess it?) are personally engineered. I just spoke noises into a microphone and played around with the sounds in Audacity and Goldwave.

I can't really raise the background music in volume, because for some reason most computer speakers begin to distort the MIDI patches. (especially the electric piano) Also, the MIDI composition builds from a low level, and then dies away at the end. I made the global sound mix of the game for the middle section of the MIDI, when it is loudest.

Also, I noticed that the sound effects already match the intensity of the game. As the game gets faster, you are forced to fire faster, which makes more firing sounds. Your shots hit the enemies more often, which means more explosion sounds. I think one problem is actually that the sound effects get too loud at certain points, (especially in conjunction with the missile) and become distorted.

Thank you all for your comments, suggestions, and compliments. I'm glad this is better received than the original R-THETA, which was more of a concept game.

~ thetagames

Edited by thetagames, 16 August 2007 - 10:44 PM.

#16 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:22 PM

This deserves more attention . . .

I agree. :D *bump* (It's been three days, August 14th to August 17th)

Thanks for your interest!

#17 Shade_Games

Shade_Games

GMC Member

• 162 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:43 PM

Great graphics, great sound, great style, great gameplay. This is probably your best game.

PS: HIGH SCORE 14162!

Edited by Shade_Games, 21 August 2007 - 12:57 AM.

#18 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:59 AM

Great graphics, great sound, great style, great gameplay. This is probably your best game.

PS: HIGH SCORE 14162!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks a lot! Everything in the game is drawn, (sprites don't work very well in polar coordinates) and all the sounds (except one: the ping from Pink Floyd's Echoes when you get an extra life or pause the game) were created by making noise into a microphone and greatly adjusting the sound with Audacity and Goldwave.

14162 is a very good high score. My highest is 20333 (but I'm the game designer!)

Thanks for your comments,

~ thetagames

Edited by thetagames, 21 August 2007 - 01:02 AM.

#19 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:20 PM

New highscore: 9018.

If 3 enemies and 3 weapons sounds like good numbers, then you'll love 5 or 7! 3 weapons seems to be enough. You got your rapid fast one, your wide spread, and your distructive.

Maybe have an enemy that destroys your bullets or lays mines that you have to destroy. There, 5 enemies :D

I can't think of any other game modes. With polar coordinates, you're sort of limited.

Posted Image

#20 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 05:43 PM

Maybe have an enemy that destroys your bullets or lays mines that you have to destroy. There, 5 enemies -_-

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like the idea for an enemy that destroys your bullets. Perhaps it creates a sort of shield that rushes towards you, destroying all of your bullets?

As for the mine-laying enemy, I think that the mines would be too much like the regular enemies, except it would just sit there. Although, I could make the mines release shrapnel, so you would want to destroy them when your radar-scope line is at least ninety degrees away or so.

As I said before, if I made an R-THETA III, it would have to include something entirely new and different, in order to continue the pattern.

Thanks for your replies,

~ thetagames

#21 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 01:27 AM

It's been awhile, and I would like some more feedback on this. Please reply!

*bump*

For example, I have two opinions of the difficulty setting. Either it's too easy, or too hard. Should I make it easier or harder?

Thanks!

~ Theta Games

#22 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:23 AM

I think it balances out pretty well. At first it's easy and later it gets difficult. That's how it should be.

Posted Image

#23 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:17 AM

I think it balances out pretty well. At first it's easy and later it gets difficult. That's how it should be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was leaning that way a bit as well. Especially because the game forces you to sometimes think backwards and upside-down, I think it's necessary for the player to 'ease into' the game.

Thanks for your reply!

~ Theta Games

#24 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:31 PM

Just to let everybody know, this game has been featured on the Independent Gaming website:

http://indygamer.blo.../r-theta-2.html

The original R-THETA is there, too, but it's kind of archived in a larger collection.

Please post ideas, suggestions, comments, reviews, and opinions on what I can do to improve this further. I was thinking of adding more enemies, but perhaps that would set off the learning curve. What do you think? Does anyone have ideas for new enemies? (i.e. what they would look like, in terms of drawn lines, and what they would do)

#25 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:21 PM

I've fairly recently uploaded a new version of this, fixing a few aesthetic issues, as well as updating the README (some people complained that it was confusing). Also, this game has been featured in the Czech computer magazine Svĕt-Pocitacu, which means Computer World. R-Theta II was featured in the October 22nd issue, distributed on the issue's cover CD. Many of the above preparations were made for this.

Thanks for your interest!

~ Theta Games

#26 Sephiros_TH

Sephiros_TH

GMC Member

• 386 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:27 PM

Well the game is pretty fun, and it very intersting playing idea, but more importantly....I'M CZECH and it stunned me that the Czechs are getting into gameing, awsome stuff!!! :(

#27 StapleGun

StapleGun

GMC Member

• 721 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:14 PM

Very, very original. The gameplay is fun and the skill curve is perfect. And I love the retro graphics with dynamic colour schemes.

8/10

I would suggest lowering the volume a bit, maybe I just had my volume up too louad, but it seemed like your audio gain was really high. Other than that is was damn near perfect!

Edit:

This should really be getting more attention, despite it's simple appearance, it's easy to get lost in the game as try to see just how far you can get. Perhaps it's a little ironic that your contained within the circle, not progressing at all, lol.

Edited by StapleGun, 22 October 2007 - 10:22 PM.

<div align='center'>Creating a program is easy. Creating software is difficult.</div>

#28 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:08 PM

Well the game is pretty fun, and it very intersting playing idea, but more importantly....I'M CZECH and it stunned me that the Czechs are getting into gameing, awsome stuff!!! :D

Thanks for your kind words. I'm actually one-quarter Czech myself. Maybe some of my distant relatives are playing this right now! :P

Very, very original. The gameplay is fun and the skill curve is perfect. And I love the retro graphics with dynamic colour schemes.

8/10

I would suggest lowering the volume a bit, maybe I just had my volume up too louad, but it seemed like your audio gain was really high. Other than that is was damn near perfect!

Edit:

This should really be getting more attention, despite it's simple appearance, it's easy to get lost in the game as try to see just how far you can get. Perhaps it's a little ironic that your contained within the circle, not progressing at all, lol.

Thank you for your compliments as well. I personally like vector-style graphics a lot. I used random colours because I wanted the game to 'transcend' the idea of colour, and be entirely about shapes and lines (artistically speaking, of course.)

Was the music so loud that it became distorted? Or are you speaking of the sound effects? I noticed that if a lot goes on at once (like when you die), the sound effects really drown out the music, and become somewhat loud. The MIDI music is very dynamic; it starts quiet and builds. I haven't noticed much distortion with the music itself, even in the big crescendo before the percussion comes in (the part with the timpani).

Yes, the game is very cyclic. This was an intentional artistic quality (as well as a mathematical quality). The speed of the radar-scope-line only gradually increases, adding just a little bit after you kill each enemy. Other people have described the game to be 'hypnotic,' as it is easy to get lost in.

Edited by thetagames, 23 October 2007 - 09:09 PM.

#29 StapleGun

StapleGun

GMC Member

• 721 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:00 PM

I'd agree, it is very hypnotic. I mean the sounds, volume wise, were just a little high. Compared to when I watch a video on YouTube or listening to my mates on TeamSpeak.
<div align='center'>Creating a program is easy. Creating software is difficult.</div>

#30 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:45 PM

I'd agree, it is very hypnotic. I mean the sounds, volume wise, were just a little high. Compared to when I watch a video on YouTube or listening to my mates on TeamSpeak.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll consider lowering it. The WAV sounds are easy to make quieter, but the MIDI (especially with the fade-out at the end) gets a little hairier. I would have to change the velocity value for each step of the way down from the maximum (main) volume. You usually don't see fade-outs in MIDI, so that was the only way I knew how to do it.

#31 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:55 PM

Anyone else have issues with the audio (i.e. too loud, too soft, etc.)? What about the title piece, Metronome? Does anyone think I sould change it, rewrite it, or keep it? Some people thought it was a little annoying, while others thought it was fine.

#32 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:00 AM

Sorry to triple-post, but I have just released a new 'Extended Edition' of R-Theta II! It includes many of all your suggestions, including nine new enemies and improved game options, like the ability to change difficulty levels and to customize controls. Please read first post for new details.

Please give it a try, and let me know what you think. I can still always make improvements.

~ Theta Games

#33 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:40 AM

I like the new version!... But for some reason I can't hear the music. I can hear all the other sounds o_O. Either you accidentally forgot to put in the music or this is another instance where I can't here the music (the first is the Curse of Kahumaha and an example also made by Game Fortress)

Any ideas?

Posted Image

#34 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 01:04 AM

I like the new version!... But for some reason I can't hear the music. I can hear all the other sounds o_O. Either you accidentally forgot to put in the music or this is another instance where I can't here the music (the first is the Curse of Kahumaha and an example also made by Game Fortress)

Any ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, there's definitely music! It's most likely your sound card; for some reason it might not be able to handle MIDI's. You see, I used the 'normal sound' option in Game Maker for the regular WAV's, but the 'Use Media Player' option for the background MIDI's, because Game Maker itself cannot handle some of the MIDI patches. I get the exact same thing on my 98, because it's onboard sound card cannot handle MIDI's, but plays WAV's fine.

Glad you liked it, though. Thanks! Sorry you can't hear the music.

~ Theta Games

PS: I used your idea for mine-laying enemies. Do you want credit? The mines have really cool explosions that release a volley of those nasty disabling shots!

Edited by thetagames, 23 December 2007 - 02:45 AM.

#35 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 04:47 AM

Any ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, there's definitely music! It's most likely your sound card; for some reason it might not be able to handle MIDI's. You see, I used the 'normal sound' option in Game Maker for the regular WAV's, but the 'Use Media Player' option for the background MIDI's, because Game Maker itself cannot handle some of the MIDI patches. I get the exact same thing on my 98, because it's onboard sound card cannot handle MIDI's, but plays WAV's fine.

Glad you liked it, though. Thanks! Sorry you can't hear the music.

~ Theta Games

PS: I used your idea for mine-laying enemies. Do you want credit? The mines have really cool explosions that release a volley of those nasty disabling shots!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can hear midi's just fine. What kind of patches are you using? And wouldn't it always not be 'Use Media Player'. The patches must have really changed it. Is there a way I can hear the music again? I used to be able to hear The Curse of Kahumaha music. Now I can't...

No need to give me credit, though I'm glad you took my idea.

Posted Image

#36 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 07:54 PM

I can hear midi's just fine. What kind of patches are you using? And wouldn't it always not be 'Use Media Player'. The patches must have really changed it. Is there a way I can hear the music again? I used to be able to hear The Curse of Kahumaha music. Now I can't...

No need to give me credit, though I'm glad you took my idea.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wait, so you could hear the music before, but not now? I made no changes to the music, or to the way in which it is played. I always have used the 'Use Media Player' option, so that certain patches, (such as the sine wave in the title piece) work. Otherwise, GM doesn't recognize these MIDI patches, and replaces them with piano.

I would get your sound card checked out. Something must have changed between then and now. As I said before, I get the same problem (WAV's work fine, but MIDI's don't) on my 98. Sorry about that, but I can't really change the way in which the music is played. It sounds awful when you select 'Background Music.'

The minelaying enemies are some of my favorite. When you destroy their mines, they release a volley of disabling shots, in an explosion that looks very much like fireworks.

Thanks for your reply!

~ Theta Games

#37 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:10 PM

Does anyone else have comments about this? I was thinking the missile might be a little overpowered. Also, does anyone else have music problems?

Thanks!

~ Theta Games

#38 c_1337

c_1337

GMC Member

• 312 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:55 PM

Screenshots plz.

Inactive / Duplicate Account

Submitted administrator request to delete account, or deactivate.
(Can posts be retained?)

#39 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:03 PM

Screenshots plz.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you not see them? They definitely are there!

#40 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:43 AM

YES!!! I fixed my sound! It turns out my Synth volume was all the way down. Thanks for your help!

Hm... I should really save this to my computer.

Edited by STARFOXROX, 07 January 2008 - 02:46 AM.

Posted Image

#41 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:10 PM

YES!!! I fixed my sound! It turns out my Synth volume was all the way down. Thanks for your help!

Hm... I should really save this to my computer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glad you got it working, then! Unfortunately, fixing the MIDI sound on my 98 isn't that simple. :blink:

Thanks!

#42 ninja_x

ninja_x

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:17 PM

This is a fun shooter. A neat twist on an otherwise classic formula. Takes a little bit of practice to get used to (still sometimes press the wrong arrow key after getting over 9000 points.) It's great after 5000 points when all Hell starts breaking loose. The graphics were all right, the best part about them was how the shapes of the ships depended on their distance from the origin.

Overall 9/10

By the way, have you considered making a 3D sequel, either in cylindrical or polar coordinates? (r theta z or r theta rho)

#43 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:13 PM

This is a fun shooter.  A neat twist on an otherwise classic formula.  Takes a little bit of practice to get used to (still sometimes press the wrong arrow key after getting over 9000 points.)  It's great after 5000 points when all Hell starts breaking loose.  The graphics were all right, the best part about them was how the shapes of the ships depended on their distance from the origin.

Overall 9/10

By the way, have you considered making a 3D sequel, either in cylindrical or polar coordinates?  (r theta z or r theta rho)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for your comments. I agree, hell really does break loose when those missile-launching enemies come.

Almost jokingly, I posted earlier that if I were to make an R-Theta III, it would be in 3D. Unless the player has some sort of perspective, it would be very confusing. I think it would probably be spherical, with two angle representations. I'll experiment around; I've never really tried 3D programming before.

Edited by thetagames, 13 January 2008 - 10:13 PM.

#44 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:43 PM

Does anyone have ideas on what I should put into the sequel? If I implement 3D, how should it be done?

#45 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:18 AM

Does anyone have ideas on what I should put into the sequel?  If I implement 3D, how should it be done?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's hard to say... I'd say make the ship in an ellipsoid, and like before, the ship can travel along the diameter. This time, however, the diameter can go up and down. I have quite a bit of 3d knowledge, so I can probably help. I can do trig a bit, which will probably be necessary.

In 3d attacks could be different. I'd have the same idea as before though (where if they hit the diameter you die). Make it so the diameter can go up and down, but it's collision is the diameters full movement area, regardless of where it is. You could do things like ships that fly above the diameter area (so they can't hit it and you can't shoot them) and then they shoot down bullets you have to destroy. Have a line type aimer though. I'd be hard to aim in 3d without some sort of aimer.

Perspective... Hmm... Either at an angle behind the camera (whether just one or two directions) or mouse movement. Maybe even both.

Posted Image

#46 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:16 PM

@STARFOXROX:
Are you suggesting using cylindrical polar coordinates? Would it be something like this:

Figure 1
Posted Image
Do you mean that the game would be the same thing as before, just you would have the ability to move the entire plane up or down on a cylinder? I think that would be quite fun, and might not be that confusing, because it would require just two extra movement keys (two for moving along the line, and two for moving the plan up and down).

I was thinking of perhaps using a sphere:

Figure 2
Posted Image
Here, you would move the line around freely (no rotation) and shoot stuff in the sphere. I think this would be very confusing, as there would be three dimensions of movement to contend with.

Figure 3
Posted Image
This one might make more sense. Here, the pink represents a constantly rotating semicircular plane (here it would be rotating clockwise). The circle with a do in the middle would be the shooter, which would be fixed to the plane, but could move in two dimensions about the plane. Your shots would 'orbit' around the center of the sphere. The point of the game would be similar as R-Theta I and II, except here you would have to prevent enemies from hitting the semicircular plane.

Along with your idea, Figure 3 would probably be most feasible, and the most playable. What do you think would work best?

Also, to keep this topic on track with discussion on the current game: What did you think of the music, now that you could hear it? I had a complaint on YoYoGames that the title MIDI is kind of annoying.

~ Theta Games

#47 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:05 AM

I'm pretty sure figure 3 is what I was explaining, and I think it would be the most fun.

I enjoyed the music. It fit quite well.

Posted Image

#48 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:11 PM

I'm pretty sure figure 3 is what I was explaining, and I think it would be the most fun.

I enjoyed the music. It fit quite well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that would be most fun as well, although Figure 1 might be fun as well. As for the music, I was thinking using MOD's. The MIDI music was originally just a placeholder (especially the title piece). I've already written a MOD with much of the same melodies and chord structure as the in-game music. I'll make a MOD of the title piece next; it won't be as long, but will have much of the same crazy rhythmic structure (if not more).

The advantages of using MOD's would be the ability to better adjust volume, and the lack of the classic MIDI 'hiccup.' I think they give me more compositional control, and generally sound better. However, I would need to use external files to play them, so that would mean that one couldn't play the game from the ZIP directory (though this shouldn't be a big problem).

If I adjust anything else in the game other than the music, it would probably be the missile. Some users have commented that the missile is a little over-powered, so I might lower the attack damage of each shrapnel piece.

Thank you for your comments!

~ Theta Games

#49 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 02:35 AM

UPDATE!!

I have changed the music, from MIDI to an MO3 module format. I personally think it sounds better, as I had more control over its composition than with MIDI. The new music has much of the same melodies, although the title piece now has a sample of me playing on the Theremin!

In order to play the music format, I have utilized Smarty's brand-new GM BASSMOD. This means that you will now have to unzip the WinZip directories before playing (sorry). The new music has none of the awful lags that occur when MIDI's loop, and now the volume can be adjusted (rather than just turning the music on or off).

I have also toned down the power of the missile shrapnel. I think it should be more balanced now.

Please let me know what you think of the music, or any of the game mechanics!

~ Theta Games

#50 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 02:47 AM

I recently noticed some bugs regarding the default options settings. Previously, if you were to set the music volume to zero, the game would act as if the registry wasn't there, and would set it back to 100% volume when you restart. The same happened with the effects volume and the screen-shaking amount. I fixed this minor bug, and uploaded the new version. Hopefully, this will be the last bug-fix, but if there is anything else . . .