Paper Sonic [with Demo]

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ElChibo

ElChibo

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 07:02 PM

Yo everyone, me and Gatz have been working on a game for quite a while now and we're finally ready to show off our first demo of the game. The game is Paper Sonic, a classic Sonic platformer like those found on the Genesis. We changed up the art style though with Paper like graphics, similar to Paper Mario. For those wondering if this lives up to the Sonic standards, yes we have slopes, we have loops, and we have some extremespeed! You can find more information on the game, including a link to the playable demo at:
http://papersonic.wordpress.com
Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

#2 jrgames+

jrgames+

Jools64

• 256 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 07:14 PM

looks good, are you using an engine or is it your own code?

#3 Valluna

Valluna

GMC Member

• 133 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 07:21 PM

True to sonic form. Gotta love it. ^.^;; I give it a 7.5 || 10. The graphics are just a little iffy, and the speed of some things could be a BIT faster, but It's great other than that. [although I have NO room to talk about graphics o.O] Anyways, very good. ^.^

#4 AjDeF3

AjDeF3

Platform Game Lover

• 1264 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 08:20 PM

Amazing gameplay! Although you kinda excellerated a little slow.

Also, can you pm me the code you use so you change image angle when going up or down slopes?

#5 100michael

100michael

The dutch noob

• 422 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 08:26 PM

Gameplay equals balls. The game lags overly and you walk way to slow. I cant seem to find a dash button and the playersprites differ horribly from the background. The paperwater is cool tough. Fix the controls and it may have some poptentionals.

Bailing from Failage

#6 Tony225

Tony225

GMC Member

• 176 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 03:51 AM

Wow! This is awesome! This must have been pretty hard to make! ... By the way, I recommend adding a bit of animation to the jump and spin dash, they are a bit stale ... Other than that, It's great! 8/10!!

EDIT: ElChibo! I made some banners! I'll post them in a pt so I avoid strecthing the page.

Edited by Tony225, 12 August 2007 - 04:18 AM.

#7 ElChibo

ElChibo

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 04:55 AM

Thanks to Tony for making a sig bar for Paper Sonic! Do you love the game? Put this into your signature!

[URL=http://papersonic.wordpress.com][IMG]http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t54/SuperTails123456123456/ForSupporters.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

also, for people who think the speed seems way too slow, it's possible that the game is running slow on your computer. ive noticed that the specs seem a lot higher compared to other game maker games due to the extreme number of objects on the screen at once, and the fact it runs in 768x480 rez when most games run in 320x240. to see if your game is running slow, look at the timer in the game, and see if the seconds are counting somewhat correct. if the timer is progressing way too slow, then the game isnt running up to full speed.

Edited by ElChibo, 12 August 2007 - 04:59 AM.

#8 Tony225

Tony225

GMC Member

• 176 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:36 AM

... Accelerate problems? Mine went perfectly normal in speed ... Maybe people have problems because they have used up to much of their RAM ... Who knows ;)

#9 ElChibo

ElChibo

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:55 PM

yea, just makin sure that isnt a big issue. my laptops pretty poweful, but when it slows down to save battery when its unplugged, my game starts to lag a bit. we're looking into making the accelerating faster, dont worry.

#10 Tony225

Tony225

GMC Member

• 176 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:23 PM

... Hey, the same with my Laptop! My batteries way powerful, but when the charger is unplugged, it starts to lag a bit ... it happens with most laptops!

#11 Dark team

Dark team

A real sonic fan

• 594 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:07 PM

You used Damizean's engine.

#12 TechnoSuperguy

TechnoSuperguy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 526 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:51 PM

This is awesome! Why on earth doesn't this game have more replies? The graphics are simple, yet perfect for the game. I like how you stressed the idea that Sonic is in a "paper" world, by "taping" the tress to the background and using a crumpled piece of paper as the lake behind Green Hill. All that needs to be changed are the rings (which are still in Genesis style and clash horribly), and the jump sprite, which should rotate when Sonic jumps.

This game gets a 9.5/10 from me!

By the way, I never experienced any lag, and was able speed along just as I would in any other Sonic game. :)

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot one other thing that needs to be fixed: the sound. The problem with it is... there isn't any! :D

Edited by TechnoSuperguy, 21 August 2007 - 08:57 PM.

#13 PwnageMage

PwnageMage

Nobody Pwns This Mage

• 1864 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:01 PM

The engine is nice but the graphics suck. You have a good game going but the graphics need to change drastically.

#14 AjDeF3

AjDeF3

Platform Game Lover

• 1264 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:32 PM

I actually kind of like the simple yet nice graphics. Thats why its called "paper sonic" XD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users