19 replies to this topic

#1 sub

sub

EVIL GENIUS

• GMC Member
  • 1905 posts
  • Version:GM6

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:31 PM

A LITTLE BIT MORE CONTENT NOW.. TESTING STUFF.. :)
major developers: Sub, chaz13.
minor developers: GameFrenzy, butler.

OVERALL INFO
it's a survival game set on an alien planet.. the emphasis is on survival, not blasting things with a gun ;) but we are making weapons and will have RTS features for the game very soon now - this is just a file here for those willing to offer suggestions and see how we're going with progress etc.. (thanks for input in the design topic) - personally i'm very impressed with colony and think it will offer good gameplay when more content is in..

THERE IS STILL NOT A LOT TO DO IN THE GAME YET! IF YOU WANT PURE CONTENT PLEASE WAIT A DAY OR TWO AND GET THE FILE THEN

LATEST SCREENY (showing some various stuff)
Posted Image

LATEST DEVELOPMENT
we made the turret (that will shoot enemies)
some sprites have been improved
build menu and build system is done (seems to work 100%)
resources have been added (wood, metal, stone, electricity)
special items can be used also when building (drop them onto a buildsite)
there is now another planet to visit (in the local solar system) we're adding more
^ THESE HAVE NOT BEEN UPLOADED YET - NEXT UPDATE WILL HAVE THAT CONTENT

working on now
adding factions (aliens) and ways to interact with them
putting aliens, critters etc into the game (so it can be played)
i'm adding a small RPG minigame into it
[heated] scrap metal can be made into a knife
stick+knife=spear (and more)

F1 for ingame info
CONTROLS
WASD keyboard + mouse control, arcade survival game with future-update RTS+RPG elements B)

L click items to pick them up, crates to get stuff
R click the item in the inv slot to drop it (ie: plant seeds) + to push crates also
(a hint) you can steer the ship before it crashes
Z to enter the hidey-box (when inside pgup/pgdn edit panel color/alpha)

link to the design topic tell us your suggestions?

LATEST BUILD (exe)
Posted Image

features
weather, items, plants that grow+breed (95% functional), a *small* intro, 99% custom sprites, basic tutorial in development, some hard work, now has basic alien critters (we're making more) - the environment is an ecosystem - everything will work like a real ecosystem! build system added (building and converting/modding items supported) resources (metal, wood, etc)

press F1 for instructions (ingame instructions)

:blink: need feedback :GM7:
* help design items and item configurations - (you can 'forge' items up and down, that is break them down into components or build them up into new items)

eg)
scrap metal+power cable [to] battery [hit by] lightning strike = kinda power source idea
lightning strike [on] lake site [with] high pollution = random little life forms idea
scrap metal + fire = heated metal (getting this into a frozen lake would help unfreeze the lake etc, also attract lightning strikes into the lake site)
[for those who don't know lake sites are just small craters]
* there is a large lake now (update)

PROJECT ON HOLD FOR A WHILE (Developers went and got lives)

Edited by sub, 27 September 2007 - 07:55 AM.

#2 gmakerdude

gmakerdude

GMC Member

• 545 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:49 PM

its pretty good so far but its a little hard to figure out. it looks good though.

~GMAKERDUDE

Edited by gmakerdude, 08 August 2007 - 10:51 PM.

#3 Schlynn

Schlynn

GMC Member

• 1148 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:51 PM

Hmm. It has potental. I couldnt find anything to do besides empty the crate and grow the things.

#4 chaz13

chaz13

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4214 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:22 AM

Wow, i do like it alot! i would love to help you make it now i've seen the demo, and i am already bursting with ideas :blink: Please pm me if you'll let me help out.

Edited by chaz13, 09 August 2007 - 08:22 AM.

#5 Explicit

Explicit

Destroyer of zeds

• GMC Member
  • 1647 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:04 AM

very confusing at first.
needs a more complete tutorial.

good start though, hope to see more.

#6 sub

sub

EVIL GENIUS

• GMC Member
  • 1905 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:59 AM

thanks for the feedback.. i'm working on it again.. sorry about the limited content, i'll edit the 1st post and mention this.. nobody reported any serious errors which is nice..

I couldnt find anything to do besides empty the crate and grow the things.

yeh sorry about that.. but you can actually hop inside the crate so far (press Z) and store certain items in it (just carry them when you hop inside) ..soon you'll be able to upgrade the crate as a little HQ.. you can also take items to the embedded piece of debris at the crash site and 'cut / forge / whatever' them into new items ;) - take the parachute remains to it, drop them on the cutting tool and you'll get rope and a blanket in return (the rope is the parachute cord, the blanket is the other remains) *blankets can also be converted into many other things (..later)

the filesize is large because of sound effects.. should i take these out?

future updates will have much more content and plants will be working.. i need ideas for items and things tho' and something that's been bugging me is the BATTERY and POWER system..

chaz if you'd like to help i'll send the source code.. see if it makes sense and get back to me. (will send a link when i update later tonight)

Edited by sub, 12 August 2007 - 12:14 PM.

#7 Avatar101

GMC Member

• 204 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 09:27 PM

I did notice 2 problems first you can drop items in the craters and never get them back and secondly you can still pick up charged metal so it pushes you all around the screen.

#8 sub

sub

EVIL GENIUS

• GMC Member
  • 1905 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:38 AM

thanks for the bug report..

* i'll make the rope able to fetch items back out of the crater lake (current version bumps scrap out of lake so it no longer is lost)

* i spotted that lightning bug last night too, i'll make it drop when that happens

btw - source code has been uploaded and replaced the EXE link (1st post will be edited also)
Posted Image

Edited by sub, 13 August 2007 - 07:03 AM.

#9 peterrab

peterrab

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1216 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:58 PM

Do you want sprites of any of the other animals I made ?

#10 sub

sub

EVIL GENIUS

• GMC Member
  • 1905 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:36 PM

hi again peter rabbit :) i loved that rat, i'd call him a 'ratapillar' i'll use him but probably mod it so it fits in better.. will give you props for it ;) was nice that you submitted it :P

#11 peterrab

peterrab

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1216 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:10 AM

Do you want it 4 ways ? I'll have a go at the sprite if you want :D

#12 sub

sub

EVIL GENIUS

• GMC Member
  • 1905 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:17 AM

yeh that'd be awesomely outrageous of you.. can u make it smaller.. like a 32x32 pixel sprite? - :D

Do you want it 4 ways?

- bwahahahaha! *snigger*

Edited by sub, 14 August 2007 - 11:18 AM.

#13 sub

sub

EVIL GENIUS

• GMC Member
  • 1905 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 03:47 PM

update bump

#14 chaz13

chaz13

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4214 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:51 AM

Hello everyone, i hope you all enjoy the new version!

This game is being updated like crazy at the moment, and soon enough we will have a structure system, little alien creatures, a complete plant breeding system and of course carnivorous pets :blink:

Prepare your mind to be blown!

Edited by chaz13, 20 August 2007 - 11:51 AM.

#15 sub

sub

EVIL GENIUS

• GMC Member
  • 1905 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:06 AM

don't press ENTER key or the level will restart and make an error.. just spotted this..

new version will be uploaded in a few hours (that stupid bug has been fixed and many things in the game structure have been changed, you won't see them on the user-end because they are internal changes..)

batteries (as items), electricity (as a resource) and other things will be added in the next update, we've already got a basic defence turret, just adding it to the build menu system (a few small bugs to iron out)

we'd like ideas for the weather system, any structures you might want to build, alien critters and anything else you'd want to see in the game.. if you're really helpfull i'll make you as a special visitor to the planet, tell something to the player, promote your own GM stuff and then cruise off in your little spaceship -_-

#16 sub

sub

EVIL GENIUS

• GMC Member
  • 1905 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:42 AM

updated build menu.. game looks a bit sexier.. new trees are being made now, and one that will let the player covert into a tree-house

the build menu supports building structures and modding/converting items.. also, in keeping with the mysterious nature of survival on the alien planet - all build plans are unknown to the player.. just experiment and take things to your Pile, and if you have the right items to build things it'll let you know ::lmao::

will be able to have all sorts of tech-trees and possible playing styles here.. :D

not a lot of content yet - next update will have proper gameplay! we're getting close to a decent WIP now..

#17 Avatar101

GMC Member

• 204 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:49 AM

Ideas for buildable structures:

-Fences and gates(keep creatures out and your stuff in. would be great if you where making a orchard it could keep creatures that eat your food out and you plants in)
-Watertank(store water anywhere)
-wheelbarrow(can carry more items)
-Some form of transportation eg a makeshift car or bike
-a sprinkler system(so that you can use it in conjunction with the watertanks to water your plants automatically when it is not raining for long periods of time)
-workshop(used to begin building more advanced sturctues)

Also a more effecient pile system should be made. It will be difficult to keep all your items on it if you gather up alot of stuff. So maybe a system that takes the items you drop and putes them on a stack of that type of item that way you could fit many items in a smaller area.

Edited by Avatar101, 24 August 2007 - 07:51 AM.

#18 chaz13

chaz13

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4214 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:40 AM

Whoa, great ideas!

we already have fences and things, and thats a great use for them :D

We have already been considering a wheelbarrow and workshop of sorts!

I love the idea of transportation, and i think the water system+sprinkler would be brilliant to add to the game!

Thanks, Chaz

#19 GameFrnzy

GameFrnzy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 245 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:16 PM

Also. Im pretty sure the pile size will be upgradable so you can
stack more items ;]

#20 sub

sub

EVIL GENIUS

• GMC Member
  • 1905 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:06 PM

heh multipost.. bit of lag there GameFrenzy? :(

thanks avatar 101 for the great suggestions..
* fences & gates will in next update..
* the watertank is something i did not consider, good idea.
* a wheelbarrow and/or 'pack mule' will also be made :D
* working on a form of 'transportation' right now.. might be a car the player can make from various junk. we're also making a little radio control car to use when the player hops in the hide-box..
* sprinkler system is another good idea.. will do soon when plants are more integral to survival (next update or two)

* workshop is a good idea.. we already have the embedded wing as a 'deconstruction' piece - that is you can take certain items to it and desconstruct them back into smaller pieces (ie: parachute > fabric, rope... fabric > blanket, blanket) -- a workshop will just do the opposite i think? (build them back up)

about that pile.. i think we'll use GameFrenzy's idea of stacking items in there into an array (and sorting them that way)

one good thing is we got rid of as many collision events as possible so it's all mouseclicks and location checking (less processer) i had 256 RAM and 128 card when starting development and always got a solid 30 fps in the 4000x4000 room :(

thanks for playing.. it's almost as much fun programming it :GM066: (well.. except the last build menu i was doing.. what a ***** to program)

*EDIT* if anybody wants latest version send a PM. will give earlier source also if asked nicely :GM066:

Edited by sub, 27 September 2007 - 07:52 AM.