#1 Pug Fugly

Pug Fugly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 131 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:30 PM

Update 03/08/07

Fixed some bugs:

1) Extra special weapons were not appearing during gameplay, only when you die did you get them all back. Now enemies drop them (at different frequencies depending on the ship).

2) The errror on exit bug is I think fixed. At least, I can't make it happen....

Don't worry you won't lose your old save file or anything.

Update ends

Return to Sector 9 is an arcade game with a variety of gameplay modes, unlockable ships, unlockable weapons, unlockable kitchen sinks. This is twitch gaming as it is meant to be. Pure honest gameplay.

Title Screen
Posted Image

Features
9 Different game modes (you need to unlock 8 of them..)
15 Different ships, each with their own special move and colour schemes. You need to unlock the ships, then their special weapons and colour schemes!
Loads of Powerups
Original soundtrack
Online highscore chart for each game mode
Stats get tracked, so you will always know how many aliens you've killed, how many times you've died etc..!

This game does change the resolution at first, but there is an option to set it to window mode.

Gameplay
Posted Image

Thanks to everybody who contributed!

YoYoGames Link:
Please download from here to save me bandwidth!
YoYo Games R2S9 page

PugFuglyGames Download:
http://www.pugfuglyg...nloads/R2S9.zip (11.8MB)

Pug Fugly Games website:
www.pugfuglygames.com

Warning!
If you haven't played the previous game in the series, Ambush in Sector 9, the controls may feel strange to you at first. Please persevere, as the controls have been designed to give you the utmost control over the ship. Once you get used to them you will be wiping out aliens left right and centre!

If you enjoy this game please consider making a donation! If I get enough to cover bandwidth fines then I'll be happy!

Donations received so far: a MASSIVE £23.01 :)

#2 Natso

Natso

Nat S. Orion

• 1055 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:34 PM

Very nice! I'll edit after I play, the screenshots look great though.

edit:
GOOD LORD the graphics weren't just crappy photoshop ripoffs stuck in, this game's graphics are excelent quality. Dude, pat yourself on the back for being the first recipient of a 10/10 game fom Natso. Like you said, getting used to the controls took a minute, but it was definitely worth it.

*in b4 fags*

Edited by Natso, 08 August 2007 - 08:55 PM.

#3 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:18 PM

Ah finally it's done, eh. And lovely it is too. Been playing the pre-release versions for last few weeks now and loving it plenty. Sequel to my previous fave GM shooter and I'm glad I got to be involved along with members of Eo and the contest winners. How long ago was that contest now anyways? :)

Pretty much my favorite game on any system at the moment.

Listen to the music a fair bit while working on my own stuff too.

Edited by Carnivac, 30 July 2007 - 10:20 PM.

#4 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:32 PM

Dang! This game is kick butt man! This most have taken a year or two to make, I loved all of it! I didn't play the one before this but the controls were still weird for me. I can't wait to play it some more and try to get all of it! Only thing is you could have presented it little better in the topic but I won't rate you on that. Best part is this game is good as a commercial game (A game maker game you buy with real money) but it is free you just need to download it.

Oh, and I hope this gets into the Cage Match sometime when the Cage match is open later sometime.

Edit
Oh man... beating the boss of Stage 4 is going to be so hard. I was not that good with the round before the boss. (All the blue guys with higher health.)
But I love this game even more now! The 2nd ship is the way to go with a total of 3 shields (Also 5 colors and green is the best one.) it will save your butt or you can just fly into to bad guys killing them.

Just give it some time and it will be at the top.

Even better I made my own Return To Sector 9 signature. :)

;Game Rating;
Graphics=[11]
Sound Effects=[11]
Music/Background Music=[11]
Easy-to-use Controls=[10]
Originality=[9] - Played it more new rating! -
Replay Value=[11]
Your Overall Game Rating=[10]

;Rating Scale;
0=Very Poor
1-3=Poor
4-6=Average
7-8=Good
9=Very Good
10=Excellent
11=Really Excellent

Loved all of it!

-Orc Leader

Edited by Orc Leader, 31 July 2007 - 06:05 PM.

"This is Miller, he's fifteen years old. Miller is uh, probably the most rock and roll member of our crew.
He has seven wives and fiftythree children, and uh, he takes cocaine for breakfast, crack for lunch, and heroin for dinner."

-Chris Martin

#5 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:10 AM

New site looks lovely too. Actually looks like a games site now :)

#6 Kindred

Kindred

Pixel Artist

• GMC Member
  • 1199 posts
  • Version:GM5

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:48 AM

Haven't got to play it much myself (only unlocked 3 modes), but so far it has been pretty awesome. Most of the graphics are very well done, and all the menus are highly professional.

I'll probably be playing this for awhile to unlock all the stuff there is in the game, and hopefully come back to give an indepth review.

Until next time, live dementedly.

#7 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:49 AM

Haven't got to play it much myself (only unlocked 3 modes), but so far it has been pretty awesome. Most of the graphics are very well done, and all the menus are highly professional.

I'll probably be playing this for awhile to unlock all the stuff there is in the game, and hopefully come back to give an indepth review.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that you get a ship each time you get a medal for most modes.
"This is Miller, he's fifteen years old. Miller is uh, probably the most rock and roll member of our crew.
He has seven wives and fiftythree children, and uh, he takes cocaine for breakfast, crack for lunch, and heroin for dinner."

-Chris Martin

#8 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:54 AM

This is extremely fun. Great job. I'm going to try to get 100%. If I still like it as much as I do now when I finish it, I'll see about a donation.

Minor complaints though:
- It's tedious to have to kill 500 new enemies to even see what a new ship does...
- There are a few typos in the text, you should double-check it when you get time.

#9 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:38 AM

- It's tedious to have to kill 500 new enemies to even see what a new ship does...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahh, 500's nothing if yer playing the Ambush mode.

Anyways just donated some money, Puggeroni...

#10 frosty10001

frosty10001

GMC Member

• 876 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:58 AM

Heres a review

Graphics: 9/10 Cool ships, bugs..
Sounds: 8.5/10 Seemed nice for the menu and game
GamePlay: 9/10 Like you said, it might take a while to get handled with the controls

Total Score: 8.9/10 Its really nice.
(Planet ~(X)~) (Skill Enhancing)

[Please PM me if you want a video review/gameplay video for your game!]

#11 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:23 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahh, 500's nothing if yer playing the Ambush mode.

Anyways just donated some money, Puggeroni...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just wait into you get to the Stage 5 boss. He is a little crazy if you ask me but I got his health down 10% and err... died

I'm still crying if you wanted you to know.

--

Also Ambush mode is good for unlocking of the ships stuff too.
Edit Yay! I got 129,000 in Ambush and got: Silver Medal, New Paint Job, New Paint Job, additional speical weapon, and a brand new ship.

1 CARNIVAC 445,400
12 ORC LEADER 129,000
Hmm.. he seems to be better then me.

So I got all the stuff for that ship and a new ship! Called the Gust Fighter that looks like stealth bomber but in a weird shape.

"A gust is and infected spirit that inhabits any old junk that it can find to hide out in. The ship is an old blown out hull of a once righteous fighter squadron. Its remains tumbled aimlessly for the light years until it was sucked into a black hole. The hole passed the ship remains through to the spirit realm, where it was infected by a gust."

Woah...... getting hit on this baby is weird, I don't want to use it anymore. :)

P.S. Nice info on the Junkyard Jackal Carnivac.

Edited by Orc Leader, 31 July 2007 - 03:46 AM.

-Chris Martin

#12 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:48 AM

I found a bug. When you're using that ship that shoots the two long lasers which start like a V and then close like Pac Man's mouth, it makes a zzzzz zzzzzz zzzzz sound. If you die when that sound is playing (while you're using the laser) the sound keeps going on forever until you exit the game.

#13 t3mp3st

t3mp3st

Damaged's Tool

• GMC Elder
  • 2026 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:58 AM

Woah...... getting hit on this baby is weird, I don't want to use it anymore.

At first I couldn't figure out what happens when you get hit in the gust, but it's kind of nice.
You don't immediately die, you just lose the glowing aura and become vulnerable to dying. You also lose your weapons. If you can dodge long enough though, everything goes back normal and you never died. If you are good at dodging, and avoiding getting hit the second time, you can survive multiple hits without losing a life.
However, it's also offset by the fact that the Gust doesn't have unlockable specials like the other ships.

1 CARNIVAC 445,400
12 ORC LEADER 129,000

6 TEMPEST 214,650 (Someday Pug will allow digits in the scoreboards :))

Now that the game is released though, I'm going to have to kick it up a notch though... Much more competition now.
You pwned me so far in the main game, I'm barely on the board at 30th. there.

#14 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:01 AM

Woah...... getting hit on this baby is weird, I don't want to use it anymore.

At first I couldn't figure out what happens when you get hit in the gust, but it's kind of nice.
You don't immediately die, you just lose the glowing aura and become vulnerable to dying. You also lose your weapons. If you can dodge long enough though, everything goes back normal and you never died. If you are good at dodging, and avoiding getting hit the second time, you can survive multiple hits without losing a life.
However, it's also offset by the fact that the Gust doesn't have unlockable specials like the other ships.

1 CARNIVAC 445,400
12 ORC LEADER 129,000

6 TEMPEST 214,650 (Someday Pug will allow digits in the scoreboards :))

Now that the game is released though, I'm going to have to kick it up a notch though... Much more competition now.
You pwned me so far in the main game, I'm barely on the board at 30th. there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it slows you down too but it might just be me. I will just somehow get its five colors and stop useing it.
--
*Gasp* You did get 6th! I must beat you... just hold... err.. can you maybe wait a week for me to beat your highscore? *Wink*

Well I got 1st in Protection!

1 ORC LEADER 130,500
7 TEMPEST 33,700

Posted Image

Edited by Orc Leader, 31 July 2007 - 04:10 AM.

-Chris Martin

#15 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:30 PM

1 CARNIVAC 445,400
12 ORC LEADER 129,000

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I did pretty well there. Was tired, playing it at after 2am and just fell into a sort of like my brain shut down reacting on instinct kinda mood. Got killed mainly cos my cellphone beeped cos low on power and it distracted me.

Score will probably get beaten by those two people who are getting very high scores in Return mode currently.

I will never get bored of this game though...

#16 t3mp3st

t3mp3st

Damaged's Tool

• GMC Elder
  • 2026 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:53 PM

Same here. Currently most of my scores were the minimum I could get to receive Bronze, and hopefully unlock more ships. I'll probably work on Silver, while perhaps aim for scoring on Ambush. I like the non-stop action to it, kind of zone out and can play more by reaction. When I have less time to think, I tend to live longer.

Have to say, great job on the replayability on this Pug... So far the only game I may have logged more time, was probably Raging Skies. (by Darthlupi of course.)

#17 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:20 PM

I like the non-stop action to it, kind of zone out and can play more by reaction.  When I have less time to think, I tend to live longer.

That's pretty much what I look for in a game usually.

Have to say, great job on the replayability on this Pug... So far the only game I may have logged more time, was probably Raging Skies. (by Darthlupi of course.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heh, the only GM I've played more is likely Legend of Shadow (by.... Darthlupi) but then that's had a headstart of about 3 years or so.

Anyone expecting a game out of me anytime soon is gonna be disappointed. I gotta get me a 100% on this thing... I must... even the mouse aiming modes I can't stand...

#18 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:34 PM

Anyone know how to damage the 5th boss? I seem to throw everything at him, destroy those little pods that carry those enemies inside, and nothing seems to damage him, the pods just regrow.

EDIT: Also, I seem to have the top scores in three of the weirder modes: Windmills, Rescue, and Protection (I'm both PVE and Paul Eres on the charts).

Edited by rinkuhero, 31 July 2007 - 03:37 PM.

#19 Pug Fugly

Pug Fugly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 131 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:35 PM

Anyone expecting a game out of me anytime soon is gonna be disappointed.  I gotta get me a 100% on this thing... I must... even the mouse aiming modes I can't stand...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well in the latest version, Windmills has been toned down a lot - it starts easy and slowly gets harder, so you might like to re-download it.

#20 Necromian

Necromian

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1000 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:41 PM

AMAZING GAME!

I love it! 10/10!
Some Completed Games and Programs:

Grid Defender 2 Sequel to the staff picked game at yoyogames!

Sig Maker V.5 "10/10","Products match Photoshop CS3, take less time and effort"

Perfection "This really surprised me. I can't think of a single negative thing to say" - Kmetamorphosis

Super Big Gun Adventure! The self-proclaimed cult classic!

Cult Symbol Maker "9.5/10","9/10","I like it! Good work!" - JTR

You can find all 30+ programs at www.nfyre.com

#21 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:41 PM

Anyone know how to damage the 5th boss? I seem to throw everything at him, destroy those little pods that carry those enemies inside, and nothing seems to damage him, the pods just regrow.

EDIT: Also, I seem to have the top scores in three of the weirder modes: Windmills, Rescue, and Protection (I'm both PVE and Paul Eres on the charts).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Spoiler Look Out

Part 1
I was not too sure on that one for a while but you shoot his arms/blobs. When you kill one of his blob things it will shoot out some green guys. Kill them really fast or they will come and kill you.

You can also just shoot his arms and not blobs but sooner or later you will have to kill the blobs.

Part 2
When you kill all of his arms he will fly around the screen and shoot out stuff at you but now you can do damage to him. Look out he can teleport when in this mode.

This part is easy to dodge but he has a lot of health so you might die once. I want you to know that I have not beaten him yet so there might be more.

End Spoiler

Spoiler Look Out

P.S. Gratz on page two buddy.

Edited by Orc Leader, 31 July 2007 - 03:43 PM.

-Chris Martin

#22 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:43 PM

Well in the latest version, Windmills has been toned down a lot - it starts easy and slowly gets harder, so you might like to re-download it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have latest version. I just can't stand playing mouse aiming games. Thought ya knew that. Don't matter how easy or hard it is. I just don't find them fun.

Still having bit of trouble with Doomball. But that's pretty fun to play even though I'm really really bad at it.

Edited by Carnivac, 31 July 2007 - 03:44 PM.

#23 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:44 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have latest version. I just can't stand playing mouse aiming games. Thought ya knew that. Don't matter how easy or hard it is. I just don't find them fun.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Man, I hate Windmill but I got really lucky and got 15,000 for the next mode.

-Chris Martin

#24 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:46 PM

Man, I hate Windmill but I got really lucky and got 15,000 for the next mode.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got that ok, but I just don't feel compelled to get silver and gold on Windmills unless I get everything else done and need the 100%... which I will do...

Also I do like shooting Ogmo...

#25 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:47 PM

The windmill mode I found pretty easy actually -- I go through like 5-6 waves before even taking a hit. The trick is to realize that the explosion has a radius, and kills anything in it, so you have to try to get 2-3 hits per shot. Shoot fast, and shoot the space ships to recharge your power, rather than trying to preserve it -- the faster the better. And contrary to what you may think, aim for the ships *before* you aim for their little black shots (unless those are really low), because the fewer ships there are, the fewer black shots you'll have to deal with. If you've played games like Missile Command before the gameplay of this game should be familiar.

Edited by rinkuhero, 31 July 2007 - 03:48 PM.

#26 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:29 PM

The windmill mode I found pretty easy actually -- I go through like 5-6 waves before even taking a hit. The trick is to realize that the explosion has a radius, and kills anything in it, so you have to try to get 2-3 hits per shot. Shoot fast, and shoot the space ships to recharge your power, rather than trying to preserve it -- the faster the better. And contrary to what you may think, aim for the ships *before* you aim for their little black shots (unless those are really low), because the fewer ships there are, the fewer black shots you'll have to deal with. If you've played games like Missile Command before the gameplay of this game should be familiar.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, I will try that sometime when I feel like 100% but I am 50.6% (More then half way.) right now.

Thanks for the help and you saw my boss help post right?

Edited by Orc Leader, 31 July 2007 - 04:36 PM.

-Chris Martin

#27 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:45 PM

Yep, I'm going to try the boss again later. I'm at around 82% now and still haven't beat him.

#28 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:59 PM

Yep, I'm going to try the boss again later. I'm at around 82% now and still haven't beat him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Phew....................

I beat him with the ship at the bottom of the list. I had all 3 specials and the sweet black paint job with black lasers. I got a total of 702,800 at the end of the game so for now I am 6th on the high scores.

Spoiler(s) Look Out

But If you want to know that is the last boss in that mode and then you fight the credits. You will get what I mean later.

End Spoiler

I loved this game Pug Fugly and can't wait for try for 100%! or maybe close...

Edited by Orc Leader, 31 July 2007 - 08:59 PM.

-Chris Martin

#29 Elmernite

Elmernite

Kengine

• GMC Member
  • 424 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:58 PM

Well, really! All the good praise you can get has already been said. So, just pretend I've said it all aswell and I can save some time.
Perfect Game! Now on to trying to get 100%.
-Elmernite

rsbanner.png
Kengine Gaming "Kengine Gaming is the best GM site I've seen" - flubmasterQ
"Good games never die" - Elmernite

#30 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:45 PM

I managed to kill the 5th boss, yay. 90.7%. I unlocked all the weapons and colors for every ship, and have about half the modes with a gold medal and the other half with a silver medal. The only thing left to do (that I can see) is to get a gold medal in the remaining modes.

#31 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:03 PM

I managed to kill the 5th boss, yay. 90.7%. I unlocked all the weapons and colors for every ship, and have about half the modes with a gold medal and the other half with a silver medal. The only thing left to do (that I can see) is to get a gold medal in the remaining modes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dang you are better at this game then me! *Cries* But I will keep trying to own those space freaks.

-Chris Martin

#32 TGOC

TGOC

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:29 AM

Children of the Nile, I present you this wonderful game by this dude who I have no previous engagements with. Let his game shower over your blessed young souls so gently it will cause smoke like affects to your young, childish brains, on the count of 23.

#33 pedrosorio

pedrosorio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 971 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:18 PM

Despite I'm terrible at Shoot 'em ups I find this game quite addictive... Congratulations it's very good indeed
"Let's leave the classics for your parents." - KC LC

#34 th15

th15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1585 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 02:14 PM

Fan-freaking-tastic :( Definitely one of the best SHMUPS I've played.

Sean 'th15' Chan
site_logo.gif

#35 talha

talha

GMC Member

• 125 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 02:52 PM

perfect game! surely better than my game :(
gfx and fx are perfect! dunno about controls...
ill give it 9/10 because of the controls
maybe you can check out my game. yea its not good as this:(

#36 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:01 PM

I lasted so long in Last Stand the music restarted and got the Gold!

Score: 132,200 8th place for me.

Edit: Woah...

ERROR in
action number 1
of Draw Event
for object obj_score_table:

In script scr_draw_score_table:
Error in code at line 37:
if global.hiScore[global.menHiScore[global.menu, global.select],i] > 0

at position 20: Unknown variable hiScore or array index out of bounds

Edited by Orc Leader, 01 August 2007 - 04:08 PM.

-Chris Martin

#37 Pug Fugly

Pug Fugly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:39 PM

ERROR in
action number 1
of Draw Event

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Eek.

Could you tell me the circumstances that lead up to the error?

Cheers.

#38 Jabberwock

Jabberwock

GMC Member

• 218 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:24 PM

This is quite amazing, probably the most visually impressive GM game ever created. The bullet patterns are beautiful and hypnotic, the enemies are varied and bizarre, the backgrounds are great, and at one point chills started going up and down my spine for no real reason, just because the game is so awesome. Seriously, even if it weren't loads of fun (which it is) and didn't have more variety than any game I've ever seen (which it does - I love the sheer amount of unlockables, it makes the game feel like it offers endless possibilities), it'd still be great. I also love the music - the songs in your games are excellent without exception. Great, great job. I think I'll pounce on this one before any of the other GMG reviewers can get to it. I had an awfully hard time with the first boss, though. Got there with like five lives and then lost them all. :(

I'm not sure yet if I like it better than The Pyramid, but I definitely love it, and have no complaints. Wow. I guess I'd better get back to playing it. I was planning on getting something done today, but I think that can wait. ;)

#39 Kairos

Kairos

Abstract Artist

• 175 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:27 PM

Windmills been retoned? Nice, I gotta get to playing it again.

Everything has already been said, very nice job on the game.

#40 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:42 PM

ERROR in
action number 1
of Draw Event

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Eek.

Could you tell me the circumstances that lead up to the error?

Cheers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well... that is the weird part. I just got a Game Over in one of the modes and kept hitting escape key. I got to the menu where you could pick which mode you wanted to play and hit it one more to quit the game and it came up.

-Chris Martin

#41 Pug Fugly

Pug Fugly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:53 PM

Well... that is the weird part. I just got a Game Over in one of the modes and kept hitting escape key. I got to the menu where you could pick which mode you wanted to play and hit it one more to quit the game and it came up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay thanks for that I'll have to look into it. Much appreciated.

#42 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:25 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay thanks for that I'll have to look into it. Much appreciated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hope you fix it soon, it is bad for your game. *Wink*

Oh and good job on being a Staff Pick at Yoyo games!

Edit: Err... you can kill the bullets in Windmill... Err... that's easy now... Never mind still can't get silver... got 49,000 max.

Ok, I just got 100,000 on Gold Rush and got Silver Medal which was what I was aiming for but I will post a for tips for it.

Tip 1: The more gold you carry the more monsters in a wave will come and the sooner they will come.
Tip 2: You can only carry a max of 50 gold, so try to be a hero and 150 in one go and get gold medal.
Tip 3: From what I can tell the longer you play the mode the harder the monsters will be. Sooner or later you will get red rays and small blue space crafts and by now you are very good at Gold Rush or very slow.
Tip 4: A good idea is to keep going back to the same spot and not go flying into a new area looking for gold. This can take a time and that is bad if you read Tip 3.
Tip 5: You seem to only get ships form Bronzes and Silvers, so you don't have to get gold for a ship, on else you want 100%.
Tip 6: From play for a while to get 100,000 I want you to know I never found a extra life, so I don't think there are any extra life's in this mode so look you
Tip 7: I good ship to use is the Gust Fighter so you can take two hits, or the GRX8-7000 seeing as it can slow time better for getting a lot of gold or saving your life that is good if you read Tip 6.

You get "The Bomb" from Silver and is the 10th ship on the list from starting on the top. It looks kinda weird and has only one paint job.

And that is all hope that helped a little, seeing as Gold Rush takes a long time to do.

If you wanted to know I am 77.7% into the game.

Edited by Orc Leader, 02 August 2007 - 03:22 AM.

-Chris Martin

#43 Melly-Me

Melly-Me

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:13 AM

For starters, congratulations on the completion of this great game. It is the kind of stuff the whole Game Maker community should be deeply proud of producing.

Now, onto the (fairly long) review

The game's presentation is top notch. Graphics are all original and almost always beautifully crafted (some ship designs looked fairly simplistic, though it might be because they were not designed by yourself) and the game has dazzling special effects, even if sometimes the explosions may hinder my ability to see projectiles at close range (rarily happens). The game's sound effects fit well, and the music is just lovely.

The game's main mode is well fleshed out, though it might not have seen its full potential explored. I found the enemy behaviour to be a bit too similar through the five levels, with very little variation. Greater changes in behaviour between different types of enemies would have made each level be a different and interesting challenge that would entice the player to develop different strategies than just 'circle-strafe for the win'. The bosses, on the other hand, were all fairly unique and offered interesting challenges, and were one of the highlights.

The game's other modes, not counting the almost mandatory inclusion of the whole predecessor to this game (Ambush in Sector 9), were also often interesting with how they explored the shmup mechanics to create slightly unique games. Still, they weren't that unique, and most still felt a bit similar (the Rescue and Gold Rush modes were almost too similar in design), but they all give a very good variety to the gameplay, keeping the game interesting for a wider range of players.

The grinding and scoring mechanics to unlock new ships, paintjobs, greater number of specials, etc were another addition that increase the game's replay value, though I personally found it a bit strange that I had to grind kills just so I could actually use a ship's special ability. That might have been a bit of a stretch, though that's more personal opinion.

Also, the game's many ships don't seem to have been totally balanced. They all seem to maneuver exactly the same way, so their specials are probably the only differential, and some just seemed far more useful than others, making me not really feel like playing with most ships if I'm trying to achieve a high score.

The power-ups are another issue, in my opinion. They are heavily imbalanced. Some, like the simple backshot, being near-useless, while the splitting shot is completely overpowered, able to clear an entire enemy fleet with just one shot on the central enemy. It makes the act of getting farther into the game and achieving a high score be somewhat subject to luck (like me getting two splitting shot power-ups at the final level at one run), which can kill the idea of testing a player's sole skill in scoring.

Another aspect of the game that lends itself to discussion are the controls. I'm aware the controls were crafted to give the player greatest control over the ship when playing solely with the keyboard, but the ability to customize the controls might have been a fine addition, allowing players better used to different control schemes, like the WASD/Mouse one, feel at home with the game as well. Though, if you really don't like the idea of allowing players to aim with the mouse, at least give them the ability to change what keys do what.

I think this is a great game. Certainly better than many so called 'games' that actually want you to pay money to play them. It shows that you put a lot of time and effort into its creation, and maybe with just a bit more tweaking it could be even more of a classic.

#44 Quimp

Quimp

Pretzel fanatic

• 275 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:14 AM

Mark Overmars, Pug and the Eo community are the only ones who I have ever donated money to in this community. That was back in 2005, and now two years later, I believe it was the best investment I have made into my gaming experience. What you have achieved here is outstanding. Take a step back and look at the result; be proud. R2S9 is so solid it will make it through the years like butter.

Looks like I'll have to change the 2 hours I spend playing poker online on my daily schedule to play your latest work.

#45 battlegorge

battlegorge

GMC Member

• 527 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:19 AM

This is a great game :)
Its much fun and really addicting.
The bosses and special weapons are very well made.
My favorite game modes are return and protection.
Only the framerate of your game is a bit low.
Why didnt you use roomspeed 60 or let the player change it in the menu like in
robots cats?

And i have 1 question :D
When you have time, can you please make a little tutorial, how you made the shooting and explosion sounds, they are perfect.
I just downloaded madtracker.

#46 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:01 AM

The power-ups are another issue, in my opinion. They are heavily imbalanced. Some, like the simple backshot, being near-useless, while the splitting shot is completely overpowered, able to clear an entire enemy fleet with just one shot on the central enemy. It makes the act of getting farther into the game and achieving a high score be somewhat subject to luck (like me getting two splitting shot power-ups at the final level at one run), which can kill the idea of testing a player's sole skill in scoring.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Power ups in most games often are 'chosen' by luck. I like that random element of some power ups being more 'useful' than others. I felt the backshot was useless at first but it really has saved my ship on many occasions. It ain't like they last all that long anyways, else the entire game would be finished easy with some of them. I love the splitting shot one. Such a damn satisfying feeling of power there and then it runs out. This is pretty much how I like power ups in games. You gotta have some that provides ya with a quick temporary escape now and then and a couple that only provide a small improvement to the ships capabilities. You feel like you get a bad draw then you just deal with it. Make the most of what you get. That's what good players do.

Another aspect of the game that lends itself to discussion are the controls. I'm aware the controls were crafted to give the player greatest control over the ship when playing solely with the keyboard, but the ability to customize the controls might have been a fine addition, allowing players better used to different control schemes, like the WASD/Mouse one, feel at home with the game as well. Though, if you really don't like the idea of allowing players to aim with the mouse, at least give them the ability to change what keys do what.

You put mouse aiming in it and it won't even feel like the same game and I don't see the point of putting in such drastically different alternative control systems. Why's it seem like very game these days has got to have mouse control in it anyways? It's an awful control device for arcade style games. Most top down games with mouse aiming appear to have the object move way too fast too (I've seen tank games that look ridiculous with the speed their turrets turn). Anyways there are at least alternate keys. Z and X do the same as 1 and 2, and the numpad also moves the ship like the cursor keys do, which also means that the X-Arcade joystick works perfectly with the game too, which suits me fine :D

#47 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:18 AM

Wow, what a nice game.
I'll surely spend more time playing it.
Great job!

#48 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:40 PM

Hmm... seems some one hacked the Return to Sector 9 High scores.

http://www.pugfuglyg...ame=10&sub_id=1

Edit:

Ok, to do that bug you hit esc key on the enter your name area, then hit esc key on the select mode area.

Edited by Orc Leader, 02 August 2007 - 05:06 PM.

-Chris Martin

#49 t3mp3st

t3mp3st

Damaged's Tool

• GMC Elder
  • 2026 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:52 PM

Pretty sad. I mean, what's really the point? You help absolutely nobody, and hurt anyone who competes (except for the extreme exaggeration with the scores.)

If someone wants to show their skills, perhaps they should make a game that'd compete with it. Or, maybe even get on the board the legit way. Or better yet, die.

#50 Pug Fugly

Pug Fugly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:52 PM

I'll delete them tonight.

What kind of sad useless idiots do it anyway?