First Post - so sincere apologies if I have put this in the wrong place - it seems on similar topic!
Mods - please move it or tell me how if I need to, thanks!The situation...
I am programming a military RTS with my brother. We have previously made a simple concept model of the units, planes etc but we have always hit a slight problem with the map/background...
The game will need to zoom in and out over a large map (The World) to country level (roughly speaking) currently using views however our early tests with GIF sprites and JPG/PNG backgrounds obviously hit on a problem of scaling (and we all know how ugly JPEGs can look!)
I always wanted to use SVG as a background source and have obtained a map in that format that will work fine (for me at least)
Now came the problem of how to load this into my game, I then saw this forum thread and things were looking up, you guys are experts from what I've read!!
The methods discussed or a combination of them (using models perhaps) seem like they will do the jobDetails
Here are a few considerations for this map
- The game does not need to step quickly (approx 5 or 10 Hz) - less pressure on algorithms
- Map meant to resemble radar(-ish ) so no problems about simple 2 colour - blue/green for sea and land
- Some units cannot cross the border (sea and land units) - others (air) can so need to collide with border or detect they are at it from colour etc
- There will be more than one polygon in the SVG file at the minute although each continent-mass is one polygon
- --possibly in the future-- Skin the map with country/continent borders or other such features
Other than that I think it will be pretty much open (not easy I presume
I'm using GM Pro 7
I do understand programming - I've coded in a few langs - even if I need help with the code and how-tos, I should understand any examples
Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer - These aliased JPEGs are making me ill!