Gmtoolbox

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 OpticalLiam

OpticalLiam

GMC Member

• 782 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:26 PM

I'm posting this here because I know a lot of people could find it very useful when looking for DLLs and such. Ever since the pinned DLL list was removed from the GMC I wanted a place to browse through for different DLLs.

So I recently comprised a database of pretty much every GM DLL and Extension ever released to the GMC (at least the ones in the DLL and Extension sub-forums), around 200 in total. I also catagorised them into several different areas for easy browsing. Additionally, there is also a real-time live search that you can tap a word such as "physics" into it and be offered "GMphysics" for example.

You can find this here:

http://www.gmtoolbox.com/

I hope you find it useful in your ever-long search for DLLs and Extensions.

(Mods I know you will likely delete this, but I feel this is the best place to post it. I guess it's down to you lot anyway)

Edited by FredFredrickson, 24 January 2011 - 06:02 AM.

#2 Yourself

Yourself

The Ultimate Pronoun

• GMC Member
  • 7352 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:41 PM

(Mods I know you will likely delete this, but I feel this is the best place to post it. I guess it's down to you lot anyway)

No way. This is very useful. It may be moved eventually, it may not. Decisions take time sometimes.

#3 tangibleLime

tangibleLime

Lunatic

• GMC Member
  • 2520 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:49 PM

Take everything I made off that site now.

#4 Yourself

Yourself

The Ultimate Pronoun

• GMC Member
  • 7352 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:52 PM

Nothing you made is actually on that site. All it does is link to topics posted here. If you don't want your projects listed on that site, remove them from the forums.

#5 tangibleLime

tangibleLime

Lunatic

• GMC Member
  • 2520 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:03 PM

I really don't care. Maybe some time in the future I want to remove a DLL for various reasons. (making it an extension, just want to get rid of it, etc...)

If they're still in this page, I'm going to constantly get messages asking for download links. I really also just don't like people linking to my stuff, but I guess I can't force you to take that down.

When I discontinue a DLL, I'll contact you to remove it.

Edited by Roach, 10 July 2007 - 11:11 PM.

#6 Yourself

Yourself

The Ultimate Pronoun

• GMC Member
  • 7352 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:05 AM

If they're still in this page, I'm going to constantly get messages asking for download links. I really also just don't like people linking to my stuff, but I guess I can't force you to take that down.

If you simply update the topic with the relevant information, anyone who happens upon your projects through this site should have no reason to contact you since all the information about the "discontinued" project will be there.

#7 tangibleLime

tangibleLime

Lunatic

• GMC Member
  • 2520 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:06 AM

Maybe I just want to delete the whole topic? Jeez, man, just drop it. I don't want my stuff being linked to by some random GM site. Move on.

#8 Yourself

Yourself

The Ultimate Pronoun

• GMC Member
  • 7352 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:36 AM

Now, I would normally agree with you if the site actually directly linked to anything that was yours, whether it be an actual download link or a website you created about a project. But in this case they're all links to posts you made on a forum that is not owned or operated by yourself (excuse the pun). The posts, therefore, do not belong to you (even though the content, in most senses, does) and demanding that they be removed (rather than politely requesting in a PM sent to creator of the site) isn't fair. Also, by having those links removed, you would be making it more difficult for people to find your creations. These forums aren't as well categorized as the website is and using a search engine often requires some trial and error with the search terms. Demanding that they be removed on the basis that you might one day to decide to have them removed (why?) in order to avoid PMs from people looking for download links just seems selfish.

Jeez, man, just drop it.

By posting it here instead of sending a PM, you've allowed anyone to comment on or argue with things you have said, whether or not it was directed at them. Additionally, by posting such a confrontational reply, it has become my business to prevent a conflict between you and some other user. I pointed out that you shouldn't be making a demand like that and even tried to give a suggestion to solve your problems with the site. It's really okay if you don't want topics that you've created linked to, but you need a better way to express that than with an impolite demand.

#9 Fox

Fox

GMC Member

• 104 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:12 AM

Wow. Treated! :GM7: Lol.

OpticalLiam, I think this is a very handy resource, and I don't see anything wrong with linking to GMC topics. I'm sure many users will appreciate this, and the site looks nice and simple. Very nice job!

#10 Hockeyflyers

Hockeyflyers

Hockeyplayer Games

• 1108 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:29 AM

Boom!! lol

@OpticalLiam:
Wow, thats pretty cool. Very good idea. *Bookmarked

#11 qwertyuiop23

qwertyuiop23

GMC Member

• 940 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:38 AM

Lol owned.

Great resourse saves a heck alot of time and space in bookmarks lol.

#12 OpticalLiam

OpticalLiam

GMC Member

• 782 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:38 PM

Roach, if you wanted me to remove links to your stuff then you could have just PM'ed me and I would have taken them down. Though I think it would be an extreme shame to remove them, as you are pretty much the most active DLL developer we have, producing some of the most useful DLLs there are.

That said, if you still wish for me to remove them, then just send me a PM or just reply here if you must.

Thank you everyone for the positive comments. Also, thanks Yourself for defending me here, I agree entirely with your points and well put as always might I add.

Cheers.

#13 jobro

jobro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1265 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:10 PM

Nice site, will most likely use it.

#14 tdmgames

tdmgames

GMC Member

• 1641 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:34 PM

you must hav spent ages on this!!! But it is very useful!!! I will defitly book mark this. Will u keep it updated?

#15 antidote

antidote

GMC Member

• 117 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:23 PM

Wow pretty nice site Optical. Roach, I know you discontinued Cryptor but I have it and am using it. But by your argument I should delete it and never look back. 3 words: Not Gonna Happen. If you really want THAT much control over your DLL's then don't release them although it would be a shame because you're a great asset in that regard.

#16 tangibleLime

tangibleLime

Lunatic

• GMC Member
  • 2520 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:46 PM

Roach, if you wanted me to remove links to your stuff then you could have just PM'ed me and I would have taken them down. Though I think it would be an extreme shame to remove them, as you are pretty much the most active DLL developer we have, producing some of the most useful DLLs there are.

That said, if you still wish for me to remove them, then just send me a PM or just reply here if you must.

Thank you everyone for the positive comments. Also, thanks Yourself for defending me here, I agree entirely with your points and well put as always might I add.

Cheers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I overreacted, and for that I apologize. I'm so used to telling people to get my files off their own host, I jumped to conclusions here. Please keep them on your site. It's a great tool for finding Extending Game Maker creations! :whistle: I'll keep in touch with you if I discontinue any of my DLLs and such. It will save your site a broken link, and me a bunch of e-mails.

antidote - You're understanding of what I'm trying to say is wrong. Put yourself in my point of view. I don't want to answer an onslaught of e-mails demanding support and download links for DLLs and things that I have discontinued. For example, it would annoy me if you messaged me asking a list of questions about my Crytpor DLL. I hope you can now better understand.

Edited by Roach, 11 July 2007 - 04:56 PM.

#17 OpticalLiam

OpticalLiam

GMC Member

• 782 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:10 PM

I overreacted, and for that I apologize. I'm so used to telling people to get my files off their own host, I jumped to conclusions here. Please keep them on your site. It's a great tool for finding Extending Game Maker creations!  :whistle: I'll keep in touch with you if I discontinue any of my DLLs and such. It will save your site a broken link, and me a bunch of e-mails.

That would be great, thanks. I will be trying my best to maintain and update the database whenever I have chance to.

#18 tdmgames

tdmgames

GMC Member

• 1641 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:49 PM

amybe hav it so people can submit their DLL's etc.

#19 gmjab

gmjab

GMC Member

• 784 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 05:13 AM

This is very useful and the design is sweet and simple. But I would look into making the fonts for each category smaller.

#20 a2h

a2h

GMC Member

• 382 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:24 AM

Very nice, I'm bookmarking it.

Also, would you consider adding GML scripts too? There are scripts with very useful functions around :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users