Ways To Make Money Off Of Games!

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#51 Elokeb

Elokeb

GMC Member

• 103 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:29 AM

So,your selling games made with GM? I thought that was illegal or something.

#52 DMEISTER

DMEISTER

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2692 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:31 AM

So,your selling games made with GM? I thought that was illegal or something.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, why should it be illegal?

As long as the author uses original resources or has permission to use them.

Think about it, it's good publicity for GameMaker if people are able to sell the games that they make with it.

#53 Aertcz

Aertcz

Aleksander

• GMC Member
  • 1660 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:34 PM

Elokeb just joined today and all his/her intentions are starting up a heated debate so lets not get into that subject. Here is a statement that will end the argument before it starts;

Elokeb, you can sell GM games.
Posted Image

#54 krackerjax

krackerjax

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:01 PM

First and foremost, Aertcz, your condescending attitude is unnecessary. Why do I say condescending? I say this because you seem to feel the need to call others stupid that might not be as "superior" as yourself. If you have a comment, by all means, it's a free world, but talking down to others is the worst way you can try and get your point across. Next is your quick-witted (or lack thereof) comments.

1.) If your games are NEW, and being sold at a garage sale... This means your game stinks.

Really? I didn't know you were omnipotent whom knows and sees all. Granted, a garage sale might not be the best place to do marketing compared to other market places, however, I see how the sale location directly correlates to the quality of a game. I would have to say that's a stereotype of your own creation.

2.) If you are selling games in front of a grocery store... With a piece of computer paper saying that your games are for sale... This means your game stinks and you are loitering.

Once again, can I have a side order of a self-created stereotype? Once again, jumping to conclusions. That omnipotence is really gleaming through your personality. It is only loitering if you did not get permission. If he asked the store owner (or manager with proper authority) and they gave him the OK, then that's not loitering.

3.) If you are in the country and selling games in front of a store (I live in the country with a school of 500 kids from K-12, and that includes all staff and faculty), you will be picked on, the local cops will arrest you for loitering, and your games definitly stink.

Wow! So that's how God created the heavens and the Earth so quickly. He just copy and pasted small towns all over the place. The town that Aertcz lives in must have been copied and pasted to where Speedy_Egg_Bert resides.

4.) Also, If you are sending out games via ground mail, you better make sure that the games you are distributing belong to a registered COMPANY. I know most people here have "companys" because they said so. Making an actual company is more than just saying you have one. Going to your county clerks and registering a DBA is a start. THEN you should make sure you are LLC! What is LLC you may ask? LLC is Limited Liability Company. Why do you want to be one? Well lets see....

If I make a game and give it out, I do not need a company name. Now, if one were to sell something, then they would need at least a DBA. In regards to an LLC, I will admit that it would make financial sense to have one, especially if one plans on doing mass distribution (i.e. via Internet) as that will protect your personal assets from getting taken by some person that wants to blame your game for all of their problems.

5.) You are an amatuer in the video game industry. (I KNOW this because your ways of distribution are not convential ways of retail or internet distribution). And lets say one of your CD's has a virus on it (on accident), or little jimmy thought the CD was a cupcake and tried to eat it... YOU WILL GET SUED! And dont think suing is just one thing that may happen.

Because his distribution methods are not conventional, he's an amateur? Once again, you have made an assumption based upon any valid data. You have claimed throughout your posts that you provide proof. Well, where's the proof here. So because he does one thing that is not part of the traidional game distribution method, he is some lowly amateur game creation maggot? SIR YES SIR! *Stands at attention*

6.) THE BBB may step in and give your life a living HELL. What is the BBB you may ask!? Better Business Bereau. They govern and ensure that business are performing fair business practices.

I beg to differ. I have had many dealings with the BBB. When I say dealings, I mean as in filing complaints with them against ripoff companies. Now not small mom-and-pop businesses, but true scam artists. Trust me, they are NOT as valiant in their pursuits against companies as they claim to be.

7.) So by everything you are stating, has no basis. Your methods have also had no thought. You never took account of all the things that could go wrong.

I don't recall him every stating that his methods are the next ones to be listed in Fortune 500 magazine. They were simply methods he has tried and has worked for him.

8.) Now let me tell you why that is so stupid to do with a more contrasting theme to it.

Now you're going to tell us what's stupid? I thought you've already done that multiple times before in this post?

9.) If your games are good, and you think they are good;
WHY THE HELL ARE YOU SELLING IT AT A GROCERY STORE WHEN PEOPLE ARE BUYING GROCERIES!?
You have to think to yourself, when I want to buy a video game;
Do I :

A- Go to the grocery store
B- Go to a store in the country
C- Go online or to a video game store

The answer is C.
If games are good they either sell by advertising (such as mini-clip). Or they sell themselves (such as any other professional video game, or game that has been mastered by an indie).

Now what if you say "it was made with game maker, it is impossible, blah blah blah".

Talk to TeeGee with his game MAGI
Talk to RinkuHero with his game Immortal Defense
Also take a look at Sketch Warriors or Cute Knight.

I think you've already mentioned that his method was not the conventional or "correct" method.

10.) What are those games you might ask? Games made with Game Maker that are commercial. And how are they sold? Professionally! Why? Because they are good games, and they knew it, so they sold it like any other game should be sold.

What's with this whole trip about "good games." I've played games that some think are awesome and i personally think are boring. It is all a matter of opinion. For example, kids growing up now love the 3-D graphics. I admit, I love them too, however, I can be just as happy with an Atari console type game. I'm still a fan of Asteroids. The determination of a good game or bad game is determined by the buyers personal preferences.

11.) Now your probably thinking, wow, Aertcz is a dumb noob and he thinks hes all that.[/b]

Nah. I wouldn't go that far. Now labeling Aertcz as an egotistical person, then in the words of Stone Cold, "Can You Give Me A 'HELL YEAH!'"

12.) Well if you didn't realize everything I just stated, you have a lot to learn about the market and distribution.

I don't recall him ever stating that he is a game marketing expert. I recall him simply talking about what has worked for him.

13.) So the next time you see somebody talking about distributing their game via flea market, supermarket, K-mart, Wal-mart, country store, school, backyard, frontyard, friend, family, or town drunk;

Remember this - YOU ARE NOT A BUSINESS OR A COMPANY. You are a CASUAL SELLER.

You should really call Donald Trump. I think you might know more than him. Actually, please read what you wrote. K-Mart and Wal-Mart sell those "professional" games you are talking about. And what's wrong with a country store? Maybe the country store is their version of Wal-Mart. Not only are you talking down to Speedy_Egg_Bert, but to any town that has a country store.

14.) What is a casual seller you may ask? A casual seller is a person who is not obligated to pay sales tax because he/she is not an expert at what they are doing and only sells their product on a small time basis.

That is an incorrect statement. Whether a person is an "expert" in their field of business, they still may be required to have a valid business license. According to most local city/town ordinances, the sale of items require a valid business license (sometimes referred to as an operator's license). In reagrds to sales tax, any business that has a business license, must pay sales tax. There are two, you local county and the state (unless your state has no sales tax). Once again, you make assumptions of a person's character based upon your narrow mindset.

15.) If you are a merchant then you are selling it on a more frequent basis and are subject to sales tax. (Please keep in mind I AM right now speaking for the United States).

Frequency is irrelevant. What I live (in the United States), whether you sell one widget a week or 1,000 widgets a week, your business must have a business license. Of which, you must collect and pay sales tax.

16.) Now even what you are doing is idiodic or illegal (as stated above), it is also shows you how less professional you think you really are. (This statement was directed to people who think they have companies and sell their games in flea markets or garage sales).

Why the continued name calling. Everyone already knows, you are an omnipotent, know and see all being. Where a person sells their product is irrelevant on whether they are a professional. Granted, they won't be in the next issue of Fortune 500, but it's not to say they are not professional.

17.) So I think that just about covers it. So please before you continue posting, read what I said.

As I have pointed out, please read what you yourself have said as your excessive eagerness to point out others flaws whilst basking in your own self-proclaimed glory has made a few mistakes along the way of posts.

18.) UPDATE: Copyrighting : (United States). This is also for everyone in who thinks are so smart and think they know how copyrighting works. Heres a little inside (Ive been in a business law class for a year with copyrighting as my specaialty, I will later give resources on where to find information).

A copyright is a basic protection for an author who craeted a piece of work. The copyright is automatically given as soon as the author creates it (that means you dont have to register it or pay money, it is your right as an author). The copyright lasts for as long as the author's life +70 years. Now if you want the copyright to be in public records so you have a much better chance in court if it comes to that, thats when you pay the $45 application fee and send it to Washington DC.

So that's it. You're in college and you think you know everything. Hrrrm.. Are you working on your second doctorate degree yet? I do know about law. No, I have never taken any college classes on law, but I have been researching consumer and copyright law for over seven years. Yes, a "copyright" is created as soon as you put that cute little copyright sigen on your work, but it's completely worthless in defending or prosecuting copyright infringement.

It's best to spend the $35-$45 to file for a copyright. Now that is just the feel to file with the U.S. Copyright Office. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, then it will be a bit more. LegalZoom currently charges $104 to file for you, plus $45 for the copyright fee.

19.) Now I did see a comment above with something about seling a game more than $0.50 But less than $7.00

Okay think about this. Would you think a game is good if its being sold for under $1.00? Why is that game $1 and brand new? But has to be under $7!? What kind of distribution are you trying to run. IS your game good or is it not good!?

*Insert previous comment on ilfounded assumptions here* You are basing the quality of a game based upon it's sale price. Well, let's look at that. If a game being sold for $0.50 is crap, then someone giving away software must be seasnail crap, right? As I'm sure you may know, there are many free programs out there that are sometimes even superior to their commercially overinflated counterparts.

For example, Microsoft Office has a free counterpart, OpenOffice. That's what I use. It does exactly what I need it to do, without loads of Microcrap messing things up. Another "low cost" is Stephen King books. Is Stephen King's work crap? He has released a book before in digital format for only $2.50.

20.) Read the above 4 games that were made with GM. Just because theres a million amatuers that use GM and make noob games doesn't mean that GM stinks. Remember that GM is affordable and POWERFUL.

And just because you think that Gm doesn't compile games, or because that it is cheap, doesnt mean it isnt POWERFUL.

You have contradicted yourself. You just said not even two paragraphs above that a game sold for such a cheap price wasn't high enough. However, when one compares the flexibility and features of GM, one could use the same analogy and conclude, without ever downloading it, that GM was a piece of crap. Even though that we know this is far from the truth.

21.) I have yet to see a decent commercial game under even $10. So what makes you think you should put a limit on how much a game should be worth? So your saying if someone made Call of Duty 4 (coming soon) with GM (I know this is highly exagerated, not the point however), they should put a $7 limit on it because it was made with GM?

How about we put a limit on the stock market to, make sure stocks cant go above $5.

People would cringe and BRK.A ($107,500 per share) would be homeless.

Just because you cant make good games with GM, doesnt mean other people cant.

Analogies irrelevant and inconsistent.
22.) Start a small game site with free downloadble games. Then find advertisers to put on your website or put advertisements payed by advertisers in your game. This was is much more simpler, can be done from your home, looks more professional, and can be much more fun.

even if you did want to sell your games, it would still look more professional if you had a section up for something lets say GOLD MEMBERS where you had to pay a $5 fee to be one, but got unlimited access to all the games.

So not only do you have income from people becoming gold members, but also have money from advertisers.

But if you are really devoted to the garage sale method, feel free.

So far, this is about the only thing I agree on. The WWW is the future of game distribution. If you wanted, you could make a trial version and then upload it to sites like Tucows, CNET's Downloads.com, etc. This way the game will get exposure. In addition, on a website you could have a list of FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) as well as an online forum (i.e. if your game warrants a community calling).

#55 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:05 PM

That post you are replying to is over a year old, I doubt he'll even read your response.

#56 Aertcz

Aertcz

Aleksander

• GMC Member
  • 1660 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:02 PM

Well I have been a bit more nice over time and I grew up a wee bit over the year. However since you decided to call me out, I will take your offer.

First and foremost, Aertcz, your condescending attitude is unnecessary. Why do I say condescending? I say this because you seem to feel the need to call others stupid that might not be as "superior" as yourself. If you have a comment, by all means, it's a free world, but talking down to others is the worst way you can try and get your point across. Next is your quick-witted (or lack thereof) comments.

First and foremost, I don't even know who you are with a whopping 15 posts. Your business between my attitudes towards others is none of your concern and the only means of intervening on a conversation I have with another member, is if the discussion is solely based on the facts within said conversation (not the attitudes or feelings which I implied, that is the job of the moderators).

1.) If your games are NEW, and being sold at a garage sale... This means your game stinks.
Really? I didn't know you were omnipotent whom knows and sees all. Granted, a garage sale might not be the best place to do marketing compared to other market places, however, I see how the sale location directly correlates to the quality of a game. I would have to say that's a stereotype of your own creation.

Okay, when was the last time you saw a AAA game being sold at the local supermarket. Hey Rinku, Teegee, Hpap, snailfox, Whens the next time you guys have a garage sale so I can go buy some games?

2.) If you are selling games in front of a grocery store... With a piece of computer paper saying that your games are for sale... This means your game stinks and you are loitering.
Once again, can I have a side order of a self-created stereotype? Once again, jumping to conclusions. That omnipotence is really gleaming through your personality. It is only loitering if you did not get permission. If he asked the store owner (or manager with proper authority) and they gave him the OK, then that's not loitering.

I added the loitering part for some dark comical humor. Please tell me your neighborhood grocery stores that have kids dancing outside them with homemade flags of their game maker games.... THAT WAS COMICAL.... LAUGH DAMN YOU!

3.) If you are in the country and selling games in front of a store (I live in the country with a school of 500 kids from K-12, and that includes all staff and faculty), you will be picked on, the local cops will arrest you for loitering, and your games definitly stink.
Wow! So that's how God created the heavens and the Earth so quickly. He just copy and pasted small towns all over the place. The town that Aertcz lives in must have been copied and pasted to where Speedy_Egg_Bert resides.

That doesnt even make a bit of damn sense (what you said). Once again, LEARN SARCASM AND CUSTOMS IN THE UNITED STATES. Honestly people, tell me one time you have seen a kid outside of a grocery store yelling " Games, fresh games right out my bedroom, They're going fast, get your games!!!". If you can prove to me you have seen this before, I will personally send you money. Its not customary in the US to sell video games in that manner. Maybe in third world countries where things are pirated you may find booths...

6.) THE BBB may step in and give your life a living HELL. What is the BBB you may ask!? Better Business Bereau. They govern and ensure that business are performing fair business practices.
I beg to differ. I have had many dealings with the BBB. When I say dealings, I mean as in filing complaints with them against ripoff companies. Now not small mom-and-pop businesses, but true scam artists. Trust me, they are NOT as valiant in their pursuits against companies as they claim to be.

Why would the BBB give you living hell for reporting something to them... Yes, the BBB can give people living hell. Thats cool that you reported "LEGEETIMATE SC4M ART1STS.... DEY LI3K T00k M3H MUN3YZ N MAK3 M3 MADDDD!!! ANGREE FACE!!!"... Truth of the matter is, there are lots of scam artists and the BBB cant humanly report to every little problem reported.

7.) So by everything you are stating, has no basis. Your methods have also had no thought. You never took account of all the things that could go wrong.
I don't recall him every stating that his methods are the next ones to be listed in Fortune 500 magazine. They were simply methods he has tried and has worked for him.

So lets say a young reader which happens to live in a bad neighborhood decides to set up a table with some games he made. Then Mr.Badguy decides to do "bad things" to little Timmy (use your immagination), are you saying this is not something that could possibly go wrong? Yes there could be more problems with doing stuff online or retail, however, participating in retail or online you need to be the magical age of 18. By the age of 18, you will know all the legalities, finances, and problems that may arise. I am NOT saying that kids SHOULD NOT go out and sell their games, I am saying for them TO BEWARE. What happens when a mother gets a lawsuit in the mail because his son destroyed another's computer and that mother cannot feed her family and now has to work two jobs to support the mishap? No nevermind, you live in Disneyworld and ToysRus where nothing bad happens, only magic.

8.) Now let me tell you why that is so stupid to do with a more contrasting theme to it.
Now you're going to tell us what's stupid? I thought you've already done that multiple times before in this post?

I like how you take out snippits of what I say afterwards. I can tell you what else is stupid, SELLING CRACK/COCAINE AND BEATING UP OLD LADIES FOR THEIR LIPSTICK. Oh nevermind, thats not stupid, I can't tell whats stupid because crackinthebox or whatever your name is told me so.

10.) What are those games you might ask? Games made with Game Maker that are commercial. And how are they sold? Professionally! Why? Because they are good games, and they knew it, so they sold it like any other game should be sold.

What's with this whole trip about "good games." I've played games that some think are awesome and i personally think are boring. It is all a matter of opinion. For example, kids growing up now love the 3-D graphics. I admit, I love them too, however, I can be just as happy with an Atari console type game. I'm still a fan of Asteroids. The determination of a good game or bad game is determined by the buyers personal preferences.

Statistics. Just because you hate them doesn't mean the general population does. Oh wait, EVERYONE IN THE GMC. THAT IS RIGHT, WHOEVER IS READING THIS. STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING! LETS ALL MAKE A GAME FOR CRACKINTHEBOX BECAUSE HE DOESNT LIKE POPULAR GAMES. LETS ALL MAKE A GAME WHICH HE LIKES SO HE CAN BUY IT!!!! POWNZ0RZ!!!!! W000000T!!

12.) Well if you didn't realize everything I just stated, you have a lot to learn about the market and distribution.
I don't recall him ever stating that he is a game marketing expert. I recall him simply talking about what has worked for him.

And I never stated he was a marketing expert. Nice way to put words in my mouth. How about learning to about reading comprehension before your decide to "call me out" like this.

13.) So the next time you see somebody talking about distributing their game via flea market, supermarket, K-mart, Wal-mart, country store, school, backyard, frontyard, friend, family, or town drunk;
Remember this - YOU ARE NOT A BUSINESS OR A COMPANY. You are a CASUAL SELLER.

You should really call Donald Trump. I think you might know more than him. Actually, please read what you wrote. K-Mart and Wal-Mart sell those "professional" games you are talking about. And what's wrong with a country store? Maybe the country store is their version of Wal-Mart. Not only are you talking down to Speedy_Egg_Bert, but to any town that has a country store.

So I am talking down to myself? The donald trump comment was another useless flame you added to this conersation. I hope if a mod reads this he sees how you antagonize me with your blatant disrespect. If you have a problem with my statements, please explain to me why you think so and provide a basis for your argument. With that said "Y0U IZ LI3K a SUP4444 N000000B!!! I IZ POWNZ YOU". Notice how I interpret you as an immature person.
Posted Image

#57 Aertcz

Aertcz

Aleksander

• GMC Member
  • 1660 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:03 PM

14.) What is a casual seller you may ask? A casual seller is a person who is not obligated to pay sales tax because he/she is not an expert at what they are doing and only sells their product on a small time basis.
That is an incorrect statement. Whether a person is an "expert" in their field of business, they still may be required to have a valid business license. According to most local city/town ordinances, the sale of items require a valid business license (sometimes referred to as an operator's license). In reagrds to sales tax, any business that has a business license, must pay sales tax. There are two, you local county and the state (unless your state has no sales tax). Once again, you make assumptions of a person's character based upon your narrow mindset.

Lets not even talk about laws now. I don't do it anymore on these forums because it isn't appropriate. Many places have different laws so you can't simply put a one size fits all on this. So here is something that disproves your statement. In order to have a garage sale with your video games being sold at them, you need an operator's license? Voila; Once again, YOU make assumptions of a person's character based upon your narrow mindset.

15.) If you are a merchant then you are selling it on a more frequent basis and are subject to sales tax. (Please keep in mind I AM right now speaking for the United States).
Frequency is irrelevant. What I live (in the United States), whether you sell one widget a week or 1,000 widgets a week, your business must have a business license. Of which, you must collect and pay sales tax.

No idea what a "widget" is. And what I said is correct. I forgot where it was but a man was having lots of garage sales and it turns out that he wasnt considered a casual seller anymore and he was a merchant. His local government ordered him to start filing sales taxes. ONCE AGAIN, lets not dive into laws.

19.) Now I did see a comment above with something about seling a game more than $0.50 But less than $7.00

Okay think about this. Would you think a game is good if its being sold for under $1.00? Why is that game $1 and brand new? But has to be under $7!? What kind of distribution are you trying to run. IS your game good or is it not good!?

*Insert previous comment on ilfounded assumptions here* You are basing the quality of a game based upon it's sale price. Well, let's look at that. If a game being sold for $0.50 is crap, then someone giving away software must be seasnail crap, right? As I'm sure you may know, there are many free programs out there that are sometimes even superior to their commercially overinflated counterparts.

For example, Microsoft Office has a free counterpart, OpenOffice. That's what I use. It does exactly what I need it to do, without loads of Microcrap messing things up. Another "low cost" is Stephen King books. Is Stephen King's work crap? He has released a book before in digital format for only $2.50.

I can't get over your ignorance. FREEWARE IS DIFFERENT FROM COMMERCIAL GAMES. As soon as you add money into the equation, it makes the whole story different. Freeware, it doesn't make a difference... its free. Tell me one good game which you bought for 50 cents to 3 dollars. Can't think of any? Didn't think so.

20.) Read the above 4 games that were made with GM. Just because theres a million amatuers that use GM and make noob games doesn't mean that GM stinks. Remember that GM is affordable and POWERFUL.

And just because you think that Gm doesn't compile games, or because that it is cheap, doesnt mean it isnt POWERFUL.

Once again you vermin, READ WHAT I SAID. I NEVER SAID IT WAS NOT POWERFUL. I SAID IT WAS POWERFUL. READING COMPREHENSION! LEARN TO READ! LEARN IT! STOP TYPING, GRAB A BOOK, READ!!!! REAAAAD!!!!!

You have contradicted yourself. You just said not even two paragraphs above that a game sold for such a cheap price wasn't high enough. However, when one compares the flexibility and features of GM, one could use the same analogy and conclude, without ever downloading it, that GM was a piece of crap. Even though that we know this is far from the truth.

Please, somebody tell this worthless, illiterate person, HOW TO READ.

21.) I have yet to see a decent commercial game under even $10. So what makes you think you should put a limit on how much a game should be worth? So your saying if someone made Call of Duty 4 (coming soon) with GM (I know this is highly exagerated, not the point however), they should put a $7 limit on it because it was made with GM?

How about we put a limit on the stock market to, make sure stocks cant go above $5.

People would cringe and BRK.A ($107,500 per share) would be homeless.

Just because you cant make good games with GM, doesnt mean other people cant.

I am stopping here. You cant read, you are like thirteen years old. Get a life, learn to read and write, come back to me when your IQ hits room temperature, and maybe then we can hold a conversation. You mis-read about everything I said. In the last paragraph, I simply said that just because a game was made with Game Maker, doesn't mean the game created with it has to have a price ceiling on it. I'm done, I can't take anymore idiot for today. I'm literally about to cry. I cannot believe you. Wow. Whatever, have fun with whatever you do.

Edit: You called me out by being mean and attacking me personally, I just returned the favor.

Edited by Aertcz, 22 September 2008 - 06:05 PM.

Posted Image

#58 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:14 PM

Actually occasionally you do see good commercial games for under $10. I bought Beyond Good and Evil, Geometry Wars, and Audiosurf off of Steam for $5 each. They have sales occasionally.

#59 krackerjax

krackerjax

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:54 PM

OK, I'm not going to do quote posts. It is quite obvious your God complex surpasses any achievement anyone theirself could achieve. I will say though, thank you for your posts. They are very entertaining. You repeatedly stated I flamed attacked, and called you out. No, you were the one that decided to flame, use name calling, and degrade the original poster because you felt his "ideas" were not up to part with you.

I would like to correct a few things do. Firstly, I do know the customs of the U.S. Born and raised in the U.S. Was born to American parents. Secondly, you accuse me of being illiterate. Another assumption you were wrong on. So because someone doesn't agree with you, they are illiterate? The funny thing is in your first post I noticed a TON of spelling and grammatical errors. I highly recommend the FireFox browser. It has a built-in spell checker. It's amazing, the omnipotent one can't spell, but he's accusing others of being illiterate.

Finally, you start to talk about my IQ. Once again, you feel you are more superior than I. Well, go on right ahead. I used to work in the psych ward, therefore, I am used to dealing with disillusioned people. On that note, when you start ranting like this, get your doc to give you some Haldol.

So, go ahead, rant, rave, and project your delusional superiority complex on the forums. I guess that's how you got so many post counts. You simply go around telling everyong that they are wrong and you are right. I guess if I done that I would hit a high post count in no time. However, just because someone may not have near as many posts counts as you does not mean the person is just some vegetable sitting at a computer.

I will not respond to any of your posts because I don't debate with people that are condescending and use profanity. Use of such was not required. We all know you get angry and throw a temper tantrum when you don't get your way. You make letters 10x's their normal size to show your huge emphasis, you call people names, you make fun of what you consider someone an inferior IQ. All of this despite you have no facts to base your illogical assumptions upon.

Have a nice day and enjoy your miserable life.

Edited by krackerjax, 22 September 2008 - 06:57 PM.

#60 desertdweller

desertdweller

Love Truth

• 1255 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:51 PM

Reading this conversation makes me wonder why those who have actually sold games leave the shortest comments.

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . .
our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Working on music off and on. School gets in the way. My site's a mess of non-updatedness.

#61 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:52 PM

Reading this conversation makes me wonder why those who have actually sold games leave the shortest comments.

It's because we're busy selling games. :D

#62 Aertcz

Aertcz

Aleksander

• GMC Member
  • 1660 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:56 PM

@rinku - good point.

@crackinthebox

Secondly, you accuse me of being illiterate. Another assumption you were wrong on

I posted twice on how I came to believe you are illiterate. Let me refresh your memory:

ME:

YOU:

When did I say GM wasn't powerful, I said it was powerful. I am not going to argue with you anymore. You put words in my mouth and you assume things which I think. I'm done arguing with you. Don't post back, don't post another reply. I just showed you why I called you illiterate, end of story.
Posted Image

#63 Junior Gamer

Junior Gamer

GMC Member

• 30 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:02 PM

Reading this is frustrating. The decent hearted ppl wouldn't sue a 12 year old boy because there was a virus on the disk. Speedy_Egg_Bert just wanted to share his success and tips with us.
Everyone on this board is acting extremely immature.

Edited by Junior Gamer, 22 September 2008 - 08:04 PM.

#64 Aertcz

Aertcz

Aleksander

• GMC Member
  • 1660 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:09 PM

@Junior Games,
Since you seem like a reasonable person, I respect and understand your views. Now there are people out there that aren't always good hearted, or people who really need to be compensated. Lets say for instance that Speedy Eggbert gave his game to a top-notch lawyer (hypothetically). The lawyer eagerly inserted the cool video game into his computer and played Speedy Eggbert's wonderful fun creation. The all of a sudden Mr.TopNotchLawyerDude got a computer virus from the game and lost all his information!!! OH NO!:D What does Mr.TopNotchLawyerDude do? Well now he is out of his business, all of his client's work, and he needs a new computer. Poor Mr.TopNotchLawyerDude! But wait, Mr.TopNotchLawyerDude is an evil old man that drinks the tears of people who he sues in order to become immortal!!! DUN DUN DUN!!!

Mr.TopNotchLawyerDude then sues Speedy Eggbert and his family! OH NOESSS! :) Speedy Eggbert is then resorted to working in China making Nike shoes :) No more happy times for good old Speedy!

Edit: Now I am not saying not to distribute your games physically, all I am saying is to take some caution.
Edit2: Well I am sorry for giving you a little comical story to help explain what I was trying to convey to you. Didn't know you would then later perceive me as immature.

Edited by Aertcz, 22 September 2008 - 08:23 PM.

Posted Image

#65 Junior Gamer

Junior Gamer

GMC Member

• 30 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:17 PM

How should amatuer gamers go about selling their games?

#66 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:22 PM

How about the way other independent developers do it? You know, like e-commerce services and digital delivery? You'd think people who want to sell games would ask the people selling them, instead of inventing crazy ideas like selling them at grocery stores for fifty cents.

#67 Junior Gamer

Junior Gamer

GMC Member

• 30 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:29 PM

How about the way other independent developers do it? You know, like e-commerce services and digital delivery? You'd think people who want to sell games would ask the people selling them, instead of inventing crazy ideas like selling them at grocery stores for fifty cents.

Girl Scouts sell cookies in front of Grocery stores.
A while back me and my friends that lived down street sold lemonade in front of their house.
Sure we didn't get much that time, but if we were to do it in more public area, we would earn more.

#68 desertdweller

desertdweller

Love Truth

• 1255 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:00 PM

A while back me and my friends that lived down street sold lemonade in front of their house.

That's because people are much more likely to buy Girl Scout cookies when a chipper 12-year-old rings a bell outside of a grocery store asking if people would like cookies then video games made by some kid who thinks that his product justifies 50 cents.

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . .
our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Working on music off and on. School gets in the way. My site's a mess of non-updatedness.

#69 Aertcz

Aertcz

Aleksander

• GMC Member
  • 1660 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:03 PM

Well that is because of our culture. It is typical to see some kids with a little lemonade stand with some backwards letters in front of a house with a white-picket fence with clean cut green grass. It is typical to see girl scouts selling their cookies next to a grocery store. Guess what groceries are? Food. Guess what cookies are? Food. Is it a coincidence? Hardly doubt it.
Posted Image

#70 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:05 PM

That's because people are much more likely to buy Girl Scout cookies when a chipper 12-year-old rings a bell outside of a grocery store asking if people would like cookies then video games made by some kid who thinks that his product justifies 50 cents.

Yeah, and I'm not saying selling games door to door won't earn you *anything*, but it'll earn you a lot less than you could get by selling them through traditional methods like digital distribution. For instance, Immortal Defense has made around $7000 so far, I doubt I could have made that selling it outside of a grocery shop, and even if I could make that much that way (which I highly doubt), why would I want to waste my time standing there all day when I could be selling them online instead and making new games at the same time?

#71 Junior Gamer

Junior Gamer

GMC Member

• 30 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:27 PM

Yeah, and I'm not saying selling games door to door won't earn you *anything*, but it'll earn you a lot less than you could get by selling them through traditional methods like digital distribution. For instance, Immortal Defense has made around $7000 so far, I doubt I could have made that selling it outside of a grocery shop, and even if I could make that much that way (which I highly doubt), why would I want to waste my time standing there all day when I could be selling them online instead and making new games at the same time?

How do you sell your games online?

#72 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:32 PM

How do you sell your games online?

Through e-commerce services? I myself use BMT-Micro. Just go to my site and see how it works, try to buy the game (you don't have to actually buy it, just see how I sell it): http://studioeres.com/immortal/buy

#73 norman steve

norman steve

GMC Member

• 40 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:40 AM

@rinku:

Thanks for sharing that rinku. Your last post (or rather, the link) is very informative.

Edited by norman steve, 05 October 2008 - 11:58 AM.

#74 Andy

Andy

GMC Veteran

• GMC Member
  • 1988 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:28 PM

I have been selling games around trying to save up for summer camp and I thought this might be a great way.

* Lets say you live in the city and you want to make lots of money. Get a nice CD case and stuff for your game your going to give away for free. Make about 200 copies or so and start putting them in people's mail boxes or mail them to look more professional. Have a note or some kind of paper type catalog or something telling them that they can get more great games if they buy them. The free game is a good bribe to get people interested in your other games as long as the free one is of good quality. The ones you sell should always be in better quality so the people will know that their getting a good deal!

* If you live out in the country and have a way of selling things at stores in front for money it is also a good way and you should beable to get some business.

More great tips(I've found all of these awesome):

* Have a sign that says Garage Sale and at your Garage sale sell stuff including games. It does get some money!

* You can put up some signs about your game on paper printed from your printer and put them in grocery stores on the bulletin boards.

I can come up with more ideas. The ones above are ones I've tried and they work very well. I've made lots and lots of money and now I'm going to pay for camp, get an X-BOX, and buy X-BOX games!

EDIT:
Take a shot at it, it's worth the effort for the money. GETTING THE CA$H ROCK$!

Sincerely,
Speedy_Egg_Bert

First off I love some of your ideas, and your user name. (Speedy Egg Bert rules.) Note though - (in case no one has posted this,) putting things in other people's mailbox is illegal in many areas. :ph34r:

Please visit my website, Andygames.com today!

#75 krackerjax

krackerjax

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:45 PM

When did I say GM wasn't powerful, I said it was powerful. I am not going to argue with you anymore. You put words in my mouth and you assume things which I think. I'm done arguing with you. Don't post back, don't post another reply. I just showed you why I called you illiterate, end of story.

I take it that you eat your Wheaties every morning. First you are condescending towards those that have an opinion which differes from yours. Then, you have the gull to tell me not to post back. I highly suggest you get your facilities straight and realize the Internet, at least the YoYo Games Forums, is not run by some monarchy. If I wish to post then I will. I sure wont tolerate some demands from an incompetent egotistical know-it-all. End of story.

#76 DMEISTER

DMEISTER

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2692 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:53 PM

I take it that you eat your Wheaties every morning. First you are condescending towards those that have an opinion which differes from yours. Then, you have the gull to tell me not to post back. I highly suggest you get your facilities straight and realize the Internet, at least the YoYo Games Forums, is not run by some monarchy. If I wish to post then I will. I sure wont tolerate some demands from an incompetent egotistical know-it-all. End of story.

Yes you are of course free to post, no member should try to tell you otherwise. As long as it is relevant to the topic and does not break any rules. But calling a fellow member "an incompetent egotistical know-it-all" is just not cricket. Aertcz is knowledgeable but never egotistical and certainly not incompetent.

#77 Aertcz

Aertcz

Aleksander

• GMC Member
  • 1660 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:49 PM

@crackinthebox

Secondly, you accuse me of being illiterate. Another assumption you were wrong on

I posted twice on how I came to believe you are illiterate. Let me refresh your memory:

ME:

YOU:

This is why I feel you need to read YOUR posts and MY posts carefully. This exact message above. Secondly, you don't have the right to post as of now because you are not keeping your subject related to the topic. If you would like to continue this "argument", please talk to me in a Private Message, I would love to further continue this debate.

Edit: And trust me, I'll admit when I am wrong. NPT got me a few times (pretty good on his end), and I had lots of problems when creating the guide. I took in all the mistakes/complaints and used it to help better it. I'm by far someone who thinks they"know it all".

@Andy
Yeah, but some people don't want to hear about the law; they tell me that I am crazy and I can shove the law up you know where :P Anyways, I just think there are more profitable and more secure means than boxed versions of your freshly brewed games. However, if it really floats your boat and you don't care about the regulations involved, go for it.

But really guys, if you plan on selling your "freshly baked" games, make sure your computer is relatively clean of viruses, make sure you have some sort of EULA agreements, and be safe out there in the cruel world of "Real Life".

Edited by Aertcz, 08 October 2008 - 01:54 PM.

Posted Image

#78 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:25 PM

Yes you are of course free to post, no member should try to tell you otherwise. As long as it is relevant to the topic and does not break any rules. But calling a fellow member "an incompetent egotistical know-it-all" is just not cricket. Aertcz is knowledgeable but never egotistical and certainly not incompetent.

Everyone is egotistical sometimes, I don't think saying someone is "never egotistical" makes sense. For instance, Aertcz wrote a guide with information about selling games even though he's never sold one -- that's kind of egotistical to do, no? Not that it's an entirely incorrect guide, and it's certainly better than this "sell your freshly baked games at the grocery story!" idiocy, but it's still somewhat incomplete and there were (and probably still are) mistakes in it that you wouldn't get if someone with more experience wrote it. But it's better than nothing, I guess. Krackerjax is certainly acting more egotistical than Aertcz, too, with all his constant insults and accusations; it almost sounds like he's the angry father of the original poster, enraged that someone would dare tell his son not to sell freshly baked games outside of the grocery store.

#79 Aertcz

Aertcz

Aleksander

• GMC Member
  • 1660 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:33 PM

And I agree wth you Rinku. Although I would say that the guide is pretty minimal on selling aspects, it does have some information in regards to selling. You did notice that I was wrong in that section of the guide, and I took in your suggestions and help quite generously (and updated the section with some pretty nice information).

Over time the guide has changed a lot. It has moved from lots of legal aspects (which were indeed complete crap and utter garbage) to more on the actual distribution end. I am always more than open to criticism and suggestions to make it better (you can count on it). I'm still working with making the guide a bit cleaner, with more information.

But anyways, back on the topic.
Posted Image

#80 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:54 PM

And I agree wth you Rinku. Although I would say that the guide is pretty minimal on selling aspects, it does have some information in regards to selling. You did notice that I was wrong in that section of the guide, and I took in your suggestions and help quite generously (and updated the section with some pretty nice information).

Over time the guide has changed a lot. It has moved from lots of legal aspects (which were indeed complete crap and utter garbage) to more on the actual distribution end. I am always more than open to criticism and suggestions to make it better (you can count on it). I'm still working with making the guide a bit cleaner, with more information.

But anyways, back on the topic.

Perhaps it'd be better to rename it then -- "the complete guide to distribution" implies that it has everything anyone would ever need to know, whereas there are a lot of things people would want to know about distribution that that faq (or any faq) couldn't answer.

Also, I kind of feel that this forum is superfluous, because there's so few people who know anything about the subject, and there's no real reason to post here because you probably won't get much good information. For instance, if I myself wanted to know something about distribution, I wouldn't ask here, I'd ask on the indiegamer.com forums or the tigsource.com forums or something, places where a lot of people have experience distributing games. I mainly come to this forum for humor value, because the topics (like this one about the grocery store, or the one guy who wrote a guide on getting games in stores who has never got a game in a store) are always so funny.

#81 eon31

eon31

GMC Member

• 20 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 06:45 AM

hmmmmm....... Would Ebay work. Make the game real nice and everything then make lots of copies then sell on ebay. Idk if it would work but heres a start.

#82 Authentic GameWarez

Authentic GameWarez

GMC Member

• Validating
  • 233 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:13 PM

Read the above 4 games that were made with GM. Just because theres a million amatuers that use GM and make noob games doesn't mean that GM stinks. Remember that GM is affordable and POWERFUL.

I just read through all of these posts, and found that YOU had originally said this. Exactly. krackerjax had not said that second part. He was merely quoting you.

Now, this guide in itself isn't the best but all the replys are very entertaining. :D
QUOTE (Oh noes! I have been bad :'( )
Horrible signature violation removed by moderator [KC LC].
A (nearly) 1 Mb signature is just annoying and stupid.
EDIT: According to my records, this is your second signature violation. Your account has been closed.

Thankfully I'm past that now. Never again shall I make fun of SC using a huge image. Or use any huge images, for that matter. KC LC is so nice

#83 Rybo5000

Rybo5000

GMC Member

• 423 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:28 PM

* Lets say you live in the city and you want to make lots of money. Get a nice CD case and stuff for your game your going to give away for free. Make about 200 copies or so and start putting them in people's mail boxes or mail them to look more professional. Have a note or some kind of paper type catalog or something telling them that they can get more great games if they buy them. The free game is a good bribe to get people interested in your other games as long as the free one is of good quality. The ones you sell should always be in better quality so the people will know that their getting a good deal!

If someone put a CD through my door, I'd burn it.

God knows what it is! It could be viruses, porn or anything disguised as a game. And its not like I was given it by a smily salesman - it was just dumped through the door.

I MIGHT reconsider, if the packaging looked like it had been mailed not just dumped it. E.g "Hello there, this a free complimentry game from My Company inc."

* If you live out in the country and have a way of selling things at stores in front for money it is also a good way and you should beable to get some business.

Not many shops will allow you to sell stuff outside of them.

* Have a sign that says Garage Sale and at your Garage sale sell stuff including games. It does get some money!

This is a reasonably good idea. But its not much different from saying "Games for Sale" and putting a stack of discs on a table outside your house.
And unless you tell them specifically, people are unlikely to know you made it.

* You can put up some signs about your game on paper printed from your printer and put them in grocery stores on the bulletin boards.

This is probably the best idea, its free, simple and might catch someone's eye who's interested.

#84 Aertcz

Aertcz

Aleksander

• GMC Member
  • 1660 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:34 PM

Well i'm glad you are amused :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#85 Polar Productions

Polar Productions

extremly cool games

• 1429 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:53 AM

I can't understand why anyone has a problem with this. It isn't like he is claiming to be an expert game developer. I mean, there are some people in my town in the country (High school of 35 people including staff!) who sell baked goods all the time, yet they don't have a license. I'm in Canada though, but I'm pretty sure our laws on this subject are relatively similar. However, I don't see the problem with making a few extra bucks off of a hobby.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who can read binary, and those who cannot.

It seems that half of the members on this forum have something regarding religion in their signature, and now I do too!

#86 jomo24

jomo24

GMC Member

• 252 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 04:27 AM

Garage sales and going to stores is a good way to get the word out there. Put your website, and your company name, sure, it's a garage sale, but if your game is quality, they'll look at your website, maybe you could get their e-mails so you can tell them that you'll keep them updated with what's new. Overall, a lot of games with game maker aren't professional games, and aren't made to be commercially sold. Using garage sale methods and other ways to sell your game is just making something out of nothing. In my opinion, cash is cash, and a game is a game.

Should kids not sell their lemonade out on the street just because ohh, it's not in a bottle, etc.
No.
No matter what the product is, it's just a way to get it out there, and overall to earn some side cash, not to make sure that everyone thinks your professional, when your just a 14-16 year old trying to earn a couple extra bucks off something that you spent a day making.

#87 Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:03 AM

I can't understand why anyone has a problem with this. It isn't like he is claiming to be an expert game developer. I mean, there are some people in my town in the country (High school of 35 people including staff!) who sell baked goods all the time, yet they don't have a license. I'm in Canada though, but I'm pretty sure our laws on this subject are relatively similar. However, I don't see the problem with making a few extra bucks off of a hobby.

Why do you kids/teens actually think you will make money off your games this way. It's like a lemonade stand. I don't think they exist in real life, only in 80's kids movies like Problem Child and in economics classrooms. How much are you going to sell your 5 minute 1954 knock off for? $5 - I can get Seiklus for free. And while your target audience won't know what Seiklus is, do you really feel it is the right moral thing to do, to charge children well earned money for rubbish? Or even worse, what if a struggling parent buys one of your games for their kid. You will ruin someones Christmas.

Actually, that is a good idea! Why don't you download 20 good GameMakerGames, put them on a CD and give them to someone for Christmas. Some kid you know whose family might not be the most well off. Throw some awesome free GameMakerGames on a CD and give them away. Don't charge for them. I am sure the developers of the games wouldn't mind if you actually did something with their game that made someone happy.

#88 LongeBane

LongeBane

GMC Member

• 77 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:01 PM

If I saw my game on your disk I will come after you and sue you and make sure you suffer to the fullest extent of the law. After that I will deal with you myself, waiting for you and then coming after you so that I could dropkick you while I enjoy a nice dinner that I paid for with the kid you gave my game to.

http://www.studiodao.com Music | Artwork | Games

#89 Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:17 PM

But I wouldn't put your "Hentai Quest" on a cd to give to some poor kid now would I.

#90 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:16 PM

But I wouldn't put your "Hentai Quest" on a cd to give to some poor kid now would I.

You should play that game first before saying that! It actually has no adult content.

#91 Ethelon

Ethelon

GM Artist

• 1094 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:54 PM

haha, thanks for the laughs, Aertcz, you totally pwned that dude... crackerjax or something...

The whole time after you pointed out his mistake, of not being able to read well, he kept avoiding it...
Well anyways, you shouldn't think he's a 13 year old because he can't read clearly.. (If he still reads this I'll probably get flamed, sigh), because I am 13, and I can read better than him....

As for selling games in front of stores... in the US, people will laugh at your attempt, probably to themselves though. I have never seen a kid outside any store, trying to sell their homemade game.

Wanderlust: Rebirth Beta Tester

#92 AquariusUSA

AquariusUSA

GMC Member

• 221 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 06:17 AM

Well I have been a bit more nice over time and I grew up a wee bit over the year.

THAT IS RIGHT, WHOEVER IS READING THIS. STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING! LETS ALL MAKE A GAME FOR CRACKINTHEBOX BECAUSE HE DOESNT LIKE POPULAR GAMES. LETS ALL MAKE A GAME WHICH HE LIKES SO HE CAN BUY IT!!!! POWNZ0RZ!!!!! W000000T!!

Contradiction mich?

And when was the last time I saw someone asking permission from the government to have a garage sale?

#93 LongeBane

LongeBane

GMC Member

• 77 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:40 AM

And when was the last time I saw someone asking permission from the government to have a garage sale?

I have no idea, if you wanted to know maybe you should ask your parents. I think they would know better than I can. But thanks for asking, assuming I had the wisdom to answer it.

#94 DMEISTER

DMEISTER

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2692 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:54 AM

I have no idea, if you wanted to know maybe you should ask your parents. I think they would know better than I can. But thanks for asking, assuming I had the wisdom to answer it.

Well he wasn't asking you, he appears to have been asking himself (?!) :(

#95 AquariusUSA

AquariusUSA

GMC Member

• 221 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:21 PM

I was asking Aertcz.

#96 mrperson

mrperson

GMC Member

• 513 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:46 PM

Just out of curiousity, how much HAVE you made?

I have made $350 in about 2 days and the money keeps rolling in. It's really hard to make more games so people will see more to buy! I would suggest having at least 4 very good fun games made before you try my idea.

Wow! Thats amazing!

If I was able to help you, please click the green (+) icon in the lower-right of my post. Thank you!

I am known as Jacic on yoyogames.com and a lot of other places
Born-again christian and loving it!

#97 Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 06:36 PM

It's also a lie.

You know why? Because the actual commercial game developers on here don't make that much in two months sometimes. Remember when you were fourteen and had to have that one up on everyone?

Normal Kid:"My dad and I are hiring some jetskis on the weekend"
Liar:"My dad and I OWN Jetskis!"

Normal Kid:"MY dad just bought a new car. It's a Holden"
Liar:"MY dad owns a porsche, but it's a limited edition, so he can never show anyone"

Normal Kid:"My dad is buying me a playstation for my birthday!"
Liar:"My dad works for sony and he got a prototype playstation 2 but I can't show anyone, but trust me guys, it's the best"

It's the same thing here. Kids want to seem like they are adults, and want respect off people. If you want to know how to sell games, search for Rinkuhero's posts in this forum (game distrubution) and read them. His anti-advice is really good. Basically, he has told everyone what not to do. hpapilon also knows what she is talking about. They actually sell games (and I think the latter makes a living off it, not sure).

#98 LongeBane

LongeBane

GMC Member

• 77 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:08 PM

It's also a lie.

You know why? Because the actual commercial game developers on here don't make that much in two months sometimes. Remember when you were fourteen and had to have that one up on everyone?

Normal Kid:"My dad and I are hiring some jetskis on the weekend"
Liar:"My dad and I OWN Jetskis!"

Normal Kid:"MY dad just bought a new car. It's a Holden"
Liar:"MY dad owns a porsche, but it's a limited edition, so he can never show anyone"

Normal Kid:"My dad is buying me a playstation for my birthday!"
Liar:"My dad works for sony and he got a prototype playstation 2 but I can't show anyone, but trust me guys, it's the best"

It's the same thing here. Kids want to seem like they are adults, and want respect off people. If you want to know how to sell games, search for Rinkuhero's posts in this forum (game distrubution) and read them. His anti-advice is really good. Basically, he has told everyone what not to do. hpapilon also knows what she is talking about. They actually sell games (and I think the latter makes a living off it, not sure).

True words my friends

#99 Kalex91

Kalex91

GMC Member

• 355 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:46 PM

LOL 200 copies: its gonna cost a bomb to do that aspecialy if your just putting them through peoples doors "Yourl never get to summer camp doing that"

Think you can improve my graphics? Then send me a PM with the image you have made and you might be added to the graphics team and claim your place in the credits.

#100 cgwalls

cgwalls

GMC Member

• 138 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:18 AM

i think the guy who started the topic might be exsadurating a bit. but i do think that you could probably make a game with game maker and burn maybe 50 copies of it onto a c.d. then you could put an add in the paper that you were having a garage sale with a game that you created. maybe you could give them a url to a page with a playable demo and some screenshots. then you could sell your game for like 5 to 10 dollars. think about it. if you sell all 50 copies of your game for 5 dollars that's 250 bucks. hey it might not be much but it's pretty good for just some side cash. you could even make more copies, sell it for a higher price. i don't see what's wrong with doing this. There are good games that are only 5 dollars aertcz.
Cop Evasion