5 replies to this topic

#1 Ablach Blackrat

Ablach Blackrat

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 1215 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:47 PM

Cheese swingers is a one switch arcade game, that is, a game played entirely through the use of only one. It's specifically made for people with disability issues who can't use the regular formats of controls when playing games and rely on a single switch but it's playable by everyone.

In the game the rats (yes another game about rats) have just finished collecting the pots of nectar when the bees decide to fly by and steal them. Control a single rat who fends off the bees with a piece of cheese on a string. Using your single key will move the cheese towards and away from you and knock the bees out of the air (my personal best is 15 combos...what can you do?).

Also included in the zip file is a source template (I hesitate to call it an engine) that will show you how to set up your own one switch game. Accessibility gaming is a genre that is almost entirely overlooked here on the GMC and I hope this helps more people produce one switch games of their own. It doesn't have to take very long and it's fun. Plus you'll be including a large section of the population that can't play normal games.

#2 Fatfatcheeks

Fatfatcheeks

GMC Member

• 71 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:52 PM

This is really fun!(yay first post)

8/10

Edited by Fatfatcheeks, 22 June 2007 - 08:53 PM.

#3 Vyzer

Vyzer

GMC Member

• 721 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:20 PM

Short, fun, original. A bit too simple for my tastes, but simplicity and ease of use is what you were going for. More variation of enemies wouldn't hurt, though.

I got 180450 on my first try.

Edited by Vyzer, 22 June 2007 - 09:22 PM.

#4 oddbob0

oddbob0

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 114 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:57 AM

Fantastic stuff, cheers for this Ablach.

Hopefully it might help us see some more one switch stuff out there. Cheers.
Albert Einstein was a ladies man, whilst he was working on his universal plan...

#5 Burning Sheep Productions

Burning Sheep Productions

GMC Member

• 320 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:47 AM

That was a nice simple play. Got 426650 on the first try but by level 11 it lost its appeal and I let the bees have the nectar. When the only buckets left are right next to you its very hard to lose.

I like how you put in shadows, also the front art was very nice (do you have DA or FA?).
I didn't like how the cheese went off screen. It would've been better if the buckets were limited to within a circle onscreen.

With the one button thing I don't think you should've bothered with setting it to one button. Just let them press any key on the keyboard, they may have trouble pressing a particular button if they're concentrating on the game.

Also the menu had two problems. The timing of the double click needed to be better defined, like have the cursor enlarge when the next click will make it a double click. The uncertainty was uncomfortable.

I rekkon it's a good effort but it has its problems.

Edited by Burning Sheep Productions, 16 July 2007 - 04:47 AM.

Posted Image
Burning Sheep Productions

#6 cheeserules

cheeserules

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 570 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:28 AM

Yay! A game about cheese! Sweet!
Seriously though, that was really fun. :whistle:
SOMETHING WITTY!