49 replies to this topic

#1 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:02 PM

Fractal Fighter

Fractal Fighter it's called, and I made it in a bit over 24 hours (not spending all that time in front of the computer obviously). This might not be the final version, but it's a complete game as it is.

Posted Image

The game's your average stylish bossfight bullet hell shmup, with a scoring system that puts focus on combos. It's a fairly gentle one, with a rather friendly start for the beginners, although it gets a bit difficult at the last few bosses (there are ten in total, as well as the optional randomly generated bosses). The player is allowed to choose how many lives he'll have, but the scoring will drop the more lives you select.

The controls are generally pretty simple. Use Z to fire your machine guns, and X to shoot a laser that goes through anything, but has a lower damage/fire rate. You can also use C to find nearest hostile unit of the enemy's current active weapon layer. There is a trick to this though, if you align with the crosshair that shows up and press C again when you hear a little beep, you'll shoot out a few homing missiles. Enter and arrow keys to navigate the menu and to move the ship.

Hope you all will like it! :)

Download (RAR <2 meg and should work on Vista)
Download (ZIP <2 meg and should work on Vista)

Edited by cactus, 02 July 2007 - 11:41 AM.

#2 Nealge

Nealge

Rush and Pink Floyd fan

• GMC Member
  • 229 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:38 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! It's a .rar! and I was going to be first poster, oh well, I am anyway...
I'll see if I can find a .rar reader on the internet...

OK, I got WinRAR evaluation version, so now I can do my review!
Your right, it is extremely simialar to clean asia except it's a bit more of amini-game than a full game. Same gameplay, controls, and look, no sprites (I think), dance music, yep, it's pretty much asia in a nutshell.

I killed the first two bosses pretty easily, and didn't die once, then I closed out to do this review.

There's not much to say, since it's, well, clean asia...

Edited by nealge2112, 19 June 2007 - 10:51 PM.

#3 daz

daz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 804 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:50 PM

Winrar :) Guess I'll try it even though it only took you a day..it better be good :D

Edit: Funner than it seems I got 23500 score.. Kinda annoying imo because all it does is build on itself mostly. Really funny I think the parts where it shoots giant lasers got me the most. Highscores don't update until you quit and reopen the game ;)
Flipping awesome graphics..dunno how you did all the cool fade and move around menus etc in one day..impressive.

Edited by daz, 19 June 2007 - 10:58 PM.

#4 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1879 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 19 June 2007 - 11:23 PM

I like games like these. It has a Warning Forever feel. For one day, definitely impressive.

Edited by rinkuhero, 20 June 2007 - 12:37 AM.

#5 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:31 AM

There's not much to say, since it's, well, clean asia...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, by shmup standards the game isn't as similar to Clean Asia! as you may think. Besides, if you go by the "these games work kinda the same, and graphics are kinda similar too" you could say that both Clean Asia! and Fractal Fighter are Warning Forever clones.

Fractal Fighter has a number of differencies from Clean Asia. Some are really obvious, such as the lack of colour. The style is a lot more mechanic and concrete as opposed to "whacky" and abstract. The bosses are immobile, and you can touch them without being killed. Each enemy must be methodically shot to pieces, where as in Clean Asia! you can target stuff pretty indiscriminately. There's also a higher feel of precision to the game mechanics (especially with the lasers). And the game focuses more on scoring (and especially combos) and lacks any trace of a storyline which gives it a distinct arcade feel. Then we have the randomly generated enemies.

I do get your drift, though. I just think you're being a bit ignorant and narrow in your view of the game. Two games sharing many ingredients doesn't necessarily make them the same.

#6 -One-

-One-

GMC Member

• 208 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:03 AM

Definitely dling. I can tell I'm gonna love this even though I haven't seen it yet. :)

#7 fuchuzz

fuchuzz

GMC Member

• 83 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:32 AM

i liked this game alot beter than clean asia. the thing i liked best about it was how you use vector and joints to make rotating fractals, personaly i would be interested in how you did that, like if you made a script for it.

btw to any one using winrar, you should relly use winace instead, it archives many more types of files than winrar.

#8 Aertcz

Aertcz

Aleksander

• GMC Member
  • 1660 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:03 AM

I have to agree with cactus. They are both shooters, but hey, Blackhawk Striker is a shooter? Asteroids is a shooter?

Anyways, great game, and once again you blow me away with your games. Very impressive for 24 hours. I loved the mechanics of the game and it kept that same signature aspect which you always hold of "wierd" and "abstract" games.

Keep up the great work. I am actually keeping this game on my computer (along with battlefield, Swat 4, Halo, Call of Duty, Rainbow Six, well.. you get my drift) :D

#9 megaleon

megaleon

GMC Member

• 91 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:36 AM

hell1 This is nice! think it's someway than clean asia. It's not the same! I loved the graphics style, man. Keep up the good work

#10 Kapser

Kapser

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1640 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:03 PM

Awsome game you got there. The concept is pretty cool, as well as the gameplay/graphics. I wish there was online highscores. :D

Nice job, again for a similar but different game.

#11 Olliegames,inc

Olliegames,inc

GMC Member

• 10 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:48 PM

I think very good gam but can you write me at the credits? :D

plzz

im yor bestest fen.!!

:medieval: :D

#12 darksoft.co.uk

darksoft.co.uk

GMC Member

• 379 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 07:02 PM

I think very good gam  but can you write me at the credits?  :D

plzz

im yor bestest fen.!!

:medieval:  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you please improve your spelling and grammar? This is why people get very annoyed! Your post should be:

I think its a very good game but can you write me in the credits?

Please

I'm your best friend!!

Even if you can't spell, anyone can use a spell checker.

In answer to your question, I VERY highly doubt he will put you in the credits. People in the credits are for people who HELP with the game, not for people who want to look good. /offtopic

This is a really nice game! Yeah, it is very similar to Clean Asia. I'd give it 8.5/10!

You may want to read my signature ;)

#13 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 07:16 PM

I are your graetest fan and luv your gaemes but could you put me in the credits???
PUHREEEZE??

What the hell?
I've seen you doing this in the clean asia topic too.
It's stupid, cut it out unless you actually helped with something concerning the game creation -which you didn't.
Sheesh.

As for the game, you once again did a great job.
The only thing I don't really like is how that homing attack works.
It sucks that way since you are required to move into potentialy hazardous areas just to shoot that damn thing which makes it pretty much useless.
Well it's not like you need the homing stuff ayway =P
Nothing else to crit -excet maybe that the enemies could posess a greater variety of weapons-.
Great job.

Edited by 9_6, 20 June 2007 - 07:18 PM.

#14 Nealge

Nealge

Rush and Pink Floyd fan

• GMC Member
  • 229 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:03 PM

Fractal Fighter has a number of differencies from Clean Asia. Some are really obvious, such as the lack of colour. The style is a lot more mechanic and concrete as opposed to "whacky" and abstract. The bosses are immobile, and you can touch them without being killed. Each enemy must be methodically shot to pieces, where as in Clean Asia! you can target stuff pretty indiscriminately. There's also a higher feel of precision to the game mechanics (especially with the lasers). And the game focuses more on scoring (and especially combos) and lacks any trace of a storyline which gives it a distinct arcade feel. Then we have the randomly generated enemies.

Sorry Cactus, I just had to say that it is very simialar to Clean Asia!, you said that yourself. It definetly (ga! I can't spell!) has its differances, but its similarities are there too.
Don't get me wrong, it's awesome! So's Clean Asia! Oh, and could you just answer me this one question, in your style of scrolling shooters (I think it's your style, or is it based on something else) do you really use that many sprites? It looks like complete draw functions to me...which isn't bad! It's extremely cool!

And cood u plz pt ma in the credits? :medieval:

Edited by nealge2112, 20 June 2007 - 09:04 PM.

#15 Kapser

Kapser

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1640 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:01 PM

Nothing else to crit -excet maybe that the enemies could posess a greater variety of weapons-.

I agree, would be especially fun in the random mode. However, the game was made in one day; unbelievable work there.

#16 WarriorArtiste

WarriorArtiste

3d Creator

• 1032 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:10 PM

The screenshot makes a cool illusion of 3d when I scroll down the scrollbar (online).

#17 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:01 PM

Excellent game Cactus! You always make the best side scrolling shooters!

#18 Vephor

Vephor

GMC Member

• 34 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:18 AM

Edited by Vephor, 07 July 2013 - 08:56 AM.

#19 mathiusman

mathiusman

GMC Member

• 179 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:06 AM

O M G!!!
Thats a fun game, 10/10. If it was on my forum it would get in the staff approved right away!

#20 kilroy1501

kilroy1501

GMC Member

• 285 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:47 AM

two words: Warning Forever

thats a game that is basically the same as this just more stylish. the idea is still pretty original but seeing it done so much better than this makes it hard to like this game. the style was boring and slow paced.

#21 Necromian

Necromian

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 999 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:36 PM

Extremely fun! nothing i could do in 24 hours :(
10/10

highscore: 305380 =D

Proof
http://img69.imagesh...29/scorett0.png

#22 Deri

Deri

GMC Member

• 70 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:24 AM

That game was verry fun! I'm amazed it only took you 24 a day, I like the simple black and white graphics, I just wish that there was a more obvious hp bar for the player. All in all, it is a fun game.

#23 Deadheat

Deadheat

Retro Maniac

• 659 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:31 AM

The player doesn't even have a hp bar does he....?

#24 sircusa

sircusa

GMC Member

• 58 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:43 AM

Yeah, the ship doesn't actually have a health bar because it always dies in 1 shot.

#25 esposch

esposch

Tapir Lover

• 178 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:29 AM

I hosted a ZIP Version. Plz add to first post cactusy-wactusy.

Download Fracwar_v2.zip

Now you ppl don't have to download winRAR (which is evil)

P.S. Great Game, i am a fan of your work, except f*** space, when mum found it on my desktop. ;) ;)

Esposch

Edited by esposch, 02 July 2007 - 10:40 AM.

#26 ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

Pwner of barcodes

• GMC Member
  • 2410 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:19 AM

the style was boring and slow paced.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree.

#27 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:43 AM

the style was boring and slow paced.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you make it to the later enemies? Those can get pretty hectic and stressing. The game has a slow start so that people who aren't too good at bullet dodging also can enjoy the game a bit.

Thanks for the hosting, by the way ;)

Edited by cactus, 02 July 2007 - 11:43 AM.

#28 -One-

-One-

GMC Member

• 208 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:45 AM

Um...I think our friend cactus here has forgotten that the space bar brings you forward one level? ;)

Anyway, great game as always. 9/10.

#29 -One-

-One-

GMC Member

• 208 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:46 AM

Sorry, double post. ;)

Edited by -One-, 07 July 2007 - 03:12 AM.

#30 jelleisgoed

jelleisgoed

GMC Member

• 419 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:00 PM

very very good. The gameplay is nice and the grahpix are good enough. 9/10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users