47 replies to this topic

#1 Adventus

Adventus

GMC Member

• 516 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:52 AM

GMFI: FreeImage Wrapper beta
By Adventus

Just thought this might be useful for those image editting programs i see popping up now and again. This dll wraps 60 odd functions from the awesome opensource FreeImage DLL.... ill probably add more if they're required (who wants meta-data functions?). I havent (yet) managed to statically link the freeimage.dll with my MinGW compiler so you'll have to distribute both the "gmfi.dll" and the "FreeImage.dll" (in the same directory) with your games. Aswell as the large number of supported formats, there's also an equivalent function for almost every operation in the GM paint program. Due to the huge number of function combinations and my over-riding laziness, i havent tested everything.... so give it ago and tell me if you can get it to screw up.

Download Info:
Files in zip: gmfi.gmd, gmfi.dll and FreeImage.dll
Helpfile: FreeImage Helpfile - You'll need it!
Posted Image

Supported Image Formats:
- BMP files [reading, writing]
- DDS files [reading]
- Dr. Halo files [reading]
- GIF files [reading, writing]
- HDR files [reading, writing]
- ICO files [reading, writing]
- IFF files [reading]
- JBIG [reading, writing]
- JNG files [reading]
- JPEG/JIF files [reading, writing]
- KOALA files [reading]
- LBM files [reading]
- Kodak PhotoCD files [reading]
- MNG files [reading]
- PCX files [reading]
- PBM files [reading, writing]
- PGM files [reading, writing]
- PNG files [reading, writing]
- PPM files [reading, writing]
- PhotoShop files [reading]
- Raw Fax G3 files [reading]
- SGI files [reading]
- Sun RAS files [reading]
- TARGA files [reading, writing]
- TIFF files [reading, writing]
- WBMP files [reading, writing]
- XBM files [reading]
- XPM files [reading, writing]

Upcoming Features:
- Save/Load flags: So you can access the numerous options avaliable when loading and saving images.
- Command Interpreter: Allow you to write simple pixel manipulation functions withoutgoing through GM.
- Static Linking: I'll be able to halve the size of the dll by ripping out the meta data functions, and it'll mean you only need to distribute one dll.

Version Log:
+ v0.02:
- Added save/load flags. Check gmfi_flags() script to find what flags to use for a format.
- Added Tonemapping functions. You can now successfully covert HDR files to standard RGB format.

Edited by Adventus, 16 June 2007 - 09:11 AM.

#2 freko

freko

The Professional

• GMC Member
  • 504 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:31 AM

Nice dll.
I'm very much suprised you have made a HDRi image support.The most higest
quality image.
I was seraching this for years.Now I find it here.

This is only your beta,so you can add a support for resizing images too.

Anyway I like this dll a lot.Thankyou for making this :)

#3 Adventus

Adventus

GMC Member

• 516 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:38 AM

This is only your beta,so you can add a support for resizing images too.

You can use gmfi_copy() to just change the size (strange name i know, but thats what freeimage calls it) or gmfi_rescale() to scale it up.

Cheers,

EDIT: Or you could allocate a new image using gmfi_allocate() and draw the other image on top using gmfi_paste().

Edited by Adventus, 14 June 2007 - 07:40 AM.

#4 freko

freko

The Professional

• GMC Member
  • 504 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:44 AM

I'll try that.

#5 cdm319

cdm319

C++ Programmer

• 885 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:48 AM

whoa - nice DLL!!!

Chris Matthews, Co-Leader of Digital X

#6 uuf6429

uuf6429

Covac Software

• 2522 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 14 June 2007 - 02:58 PM

Something all image manipulation dlls seem to lack is the ability to make a change according to code. Of course you can do that by using several gml to dll calls, but it is painfully slow. So put up a sort of mini language of your own, now need for expressions and such, the only might be requirment is variables. Then put this interpreter into the dll. This makes image manipulation 80% faster (100% if compiled but that's unlikely if not impossible to implement).

#7 TGMG

TGMG

G-java creator

• 706 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 03:37 PM

This is very good but the dll is 1mb, which is the same size as gmmagick with much less features, compress your dlls:
http://upload.g-java.....e maker/Dlls

Thats better :)

I used ASPack btw :)

#8 OpticalLiam

OpticalLiam

GMC Member

• 782 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:13 PM

Sweet, this will come in useful for compressing generated light maps.

The quality of a PNG to JPEG conversion I did was pretty bad, but I'm sure that compression/quality is adjustable?

#9 Adventus

Adventus

GMC Member

• 516 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 02:07 AM

Something all image manipulation dlls seem to lack is the ability to make a change according to code. Of course you can do that by using several gml to dll calls, but it is painfully slow. So put up a sort of mini language of your own, now need for expressions and such, the only might be requirment is variables. Then put this interpreter into the dll. This makes image manipulation 80% faster (100% if compiled but that's unlikely if not impossible to implement).

Thats definitely a posibility, should be fun to implement as well. Also FreeImage is Plugin driven, so in the future ill probably add the option to make it call an external dll.... so you wouldnt need the GM interface at all.

This is very good but the dll is 1mb, which is the same size as gmmagick with much less features, compress your dlls:
http://upload.g-java.....e maker/Dlls

Thats better

I used ASPack btw

Yea thats a good idea, except the change isnt quite as much as you would expect due to the zip compression. My zip is 520kb yours is 460kb but the difference in dll size is about half. Once i manage to statically link it, ill be able to dig around and probably tear out plenty of the uneeded functions, I've heard i can halve the dll size pretty easily. Yea GMmagick was good, but it does require lugging around a 1.2mb exe which has serious problems with compression.

Sweet, this will come in useful for compressing generated light maps.

The quality of a PNG to JPEG conversion I did was pretty bad, but I'm sure that compression/quality is adjustable?

Yea, i havent yet added flags on the load/save functions (which adds an expotential amount of options), although it should be easy. Ill definitely do this soon. I mainly released it this early so i can get an idea if any of the functions are misbehaving. Yea that was my idea with making it aswell, compressing lightmaps & bumpmaps.

Cheers,

Edited by Adventus, 15 June 2007 - 02:10 AM.

#10 A.R.T.games

A.R.T.games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 396 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 15 June 2007 - 05:35 AM

thx u so much Adventus. i cam to this site for just this and i fond this just like that!
I don't see the glass as half full or empty. Just equal.

#11 uuf6429

uuf6429

Covac Software

• 2522 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:18 AM

Glad you liked my idea!

Edit: BTW I could help in making the 'mini language'. What is your dll made in? PB i thought right? Well it would be difficult coz I never used PB only basic. Still I could put up a prototype in GMl so you would just need to translate it into PB.
And another thing, I got the idea from GIMP :P so it ain't exactly mine.

Edited by uuf6429, 15 June 2007 - 09:42 AM.

#12 Adventus

Adventus

GMC Member

• 516 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:51 AM

I've already done a fair bit of the base work for making an interpretter, but i would still be interested in seeing your gml prototype. My dlls written in c++....

#13 Hockeyflyers

Hockeyflyers

Hockeyplayer Games

• 1108 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 11:34 AM

How can I move the freeimage dll to a folder and load it from it. I got the gmfi dll in the folder a loaded it, but It doesn't work for freeimage.

#14 freko

freko

The Professional

• GMC Member
  • 504 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:05 PM

Adventus,will you make a dds conversion.

The hdr format is not working stable.Has anyone else tried testing this.

I have other hdr textures working fine, but the one I made with Gmfi does not work properly.

Edited by freko, 15 June 2007 - 01:07 PM.

#15 Adventus

Adventus

GMC Member

• 516 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:14 AM

How can I move the freeimage dll to a folder and load it from it. I got the gmfi dll in the folder a loaded it, but It doesn't work for freeimage.

Sigh, from 1st post:

I havent (yet) managed to statically link the freeimage.dll with my MinGW compiler so you'll have to distribute both the "gmfi.dll" and the "FreeImage.dll" (in the same directory) with your games.

Adventus,will you make a dds conversion.

The hdr format is not working stable.Has anyone else tried testing this.

I have other hdr textures working fine, but the one I made with Gmfi does not work properly.

Are you sure they're .hdr files? Not one of the other hdr formats. What program/s are you reading them with? I havent been able to test, due to the fact i have no hdr images.

I managed to create what appeared to be a .hdr image by loading an RGB image(gif, png, bmp, etc) with gmfi_load() the converting it to the hdr format with gmfi_convert_RGBF() and saving with gmfi_save(). Not sure if this is what your trying to achieve....

Cheers,

#16 freko

freko

The Professional

• GMC Member
  • 504 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 06:59 AM

Are you sure they're .hdr files? Not one of the other hdr formats. What program/s are you reading them with? I havent been able to test, due to the fact i have no hdr images.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ofcourse they were hdr formats.I use 3ds max to read hrd images.
I have some hdr images which came along with 3ds max..

Edited by freko, 16 June 2007 - 07:00 AM.

#17 Adventus

Adventus

GMC Member

• 516 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:06 AM

Im really just taking stabs in the dark here, but are you trying to save them as something other than the hdr (or equivalent) format? This will not work because you must tonemap a hdr image down before saving in the 24bit range.... ill add tonemapping functions to the wrapper now and probably make a small update sometime in the next 3 hours.

Edit: Updated -> look at first post.

Edited by Adventus, 16 June 2007 - 09:07 AM.

#18 uuf6429

uuf6429

Covac Software

• 2522 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 11:03 AM

My dlls written in c++....

Perfect I know good c++ so I could try at doing the code in c++

#19 freko

freko

The Professional

• GMC Member
  • 504 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 11:05 AM

The new version does not work.
Shows an error at startup loading:-

Posted Image

#20 uuf6429

uuf6429

Covac Software

• 2522 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 11:15 AM

Find that piece of code and replace "room_height-2)" to "room_height-2,0)"

#21 freko

freko

The Professional

• GMC Member
  • 504 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:51 PM

Ok.That worked properly,everything fine but still the conversion(.hdr) does not work.

I didn't notice one thing that happed with the previous one too.
The images converted to hdr are 0kb in size.

edit:-
Another check->the same problem with saving to .dds files

Edited by freko, 17 June 2007 - 02:55 PM.

#22 uuf6429

uuf6429

Covac Software

• 2522 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 03:33 PM

Well thats a problem then, the files are simply empty shells!!

#23 freko

freko

The Professional

• GMC Member
  • 504 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:41 PM

Empty shells ??

#24 uuf6429

uuf6429

Covac Software

• 2522 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:52 PM

Well yeah the file exists, but its empty. 0 bytes means its just a file name with no data in it.

#25 Adventus

Adventus

GMC Member

• 516 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:50 PM

Ok.That worked properly,everything fine but still the conversion(.hdr) does not work.

I didn't notice one thing that happed with the previous one too.
The images converted to hdr are 0kb in size.

Please tell me the exact procedure you took in converting them. I downloaded a .hdr from the net, tonemapped it and saved it as a .bmp without any hitches. The example is also set up to automatically tonemap hdr's when your saving as a RGB image, try loading one and saving it as a bmp through the example.... the exact procedure should be:

img = gmfi_load(26,"image.hdr");
gmfi_tmo_drago03(img,2,0);
gmfi_save(img,0,"save.bmp");

If that doesnt work send me a your .hdr and ill see if i can find a problem.

The new version does not work.Shows an error at startup loading:-

PS: This is not an error, the example is written in GM5.3A and your trying to load it in GM6/7, there are a few code inconsistencies between versions.

Perfect I know good c++ so I could try at doing the code in c++

I've got a basic version up and running (basic expressions working: =, *, -, +, / and ^), now i just need to find some bugs and test it fully. Still if you want, send me your source, and ill see how you approached the problem....maybe get a few ideas.

Cheers,

#26 Hockeyflyers

Hockeyflyers

Hockeyplayer Games

• 1108 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:31 PM

What does index mean? Like it says 'argument 0: index'

#27 eltantillo

eltantillo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 416 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:54 PM

does this works with gm7? is just i tried it and it do changes the image extension, but i cant edit it, watch it, or load it in a game, it returns a corrupted image :S

#28 Adventus

Adventus

GMC Member

• 516 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:46 AM

What does index mean? Like it says 'argument 0: index'

An index is just how the wrapper identifies what image your refering to. Functions like gmfi_load() or gmfi_allocate() return an index which can then be passed to other functions with the dll.

does this works with gm7? is just i tried it and it do changes the image extension, but i cant edit it, watch it, or load it in a game, it returns a corrupted image :S

It should work exactly the same under Gm7. What conversion/s did you try? Often to properly convert you need to tonemap or apply another function before it'll work properly. Read the FreeImage help for more information.

#29 eltantillo

eltantillo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 416 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:47 PM

allright, thanks for the tip, i just converted the functions that where needed to run in gm7, ill read it thought.

#30 GMDM

GMDM

GMC Member

• 57 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:55 PM

I tried to use gmfi_get_pixelcolor, and all I get is a -1. What does that mean? The image is properly loaded. Any other functions I have to use to get it to work? How am I supposed to get the pixel's color value properly?

If you're gonna refer to the FI help, please don't... unless you have a copy of the PDF to send, as the one available on the site is broken.

This thing needs more documentation, at the very least what the different functions spit out.

Edited by GMDM, 09 October 2007 - 12:55 PM.

#31 darkelfv

darkelfv

GMC Member

• 28 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:39 AM

Thanks, I really needed this!!

#32 Adventus

Adventus

GMC Member

• 516 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:32 AM

I tried to use gmfi_get_pixelcolor, and all I get is a -1. What does that mean? The image is properly loaded. Any other functions I have to use to get it to work? How am I supposed to get the pixel's color value properly?

It works for me. What format is the file? GIF or PNG by chance.... Chances are its palletised which FI is unable to determine. Convert to a 16/24/32bit bitmap.

If you're gonna refer to the FI help, please don't... unless you have a copy of the PDF to send, as the one available on the site is broken.

Its not for me: http://optusnet.dl.s...reeImage393.pdf

This thing needs more documentation, at the very least what the different functions spit out.

-1 == failure. Most the returns are self descriptive.

#33 FantiX

FantiX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 175 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:47 PM

delete: draw event obj control draw rectangle
delete: draw event obj control font_style=fs_bold

why the hell you put that nonsense in the script?
test it before you post it.

Edited by FantiX, 26 December 2007 - 01:50 PM.

#34 Adventus

Adventus

GMC Member

• 516 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:37 AM

delete: draw event obj control draw rectangle
delete: draw event obj control font_style=fs_bold

why the hell you put that nonsense in the script?
test it before you post it.

Haha, thats gotta be one of the funniest yet.

Its called Gamemaker 5.3A.

#35 ykrsdn

ykrsdn

GMC Member

• 74 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:50 PM

it would be very nice if it worked, but with the basic example converted to gm7 I only manage to convert to bitmap and some corrupted form of png. Jpeg is also possible, but he is very picky, 70% of all images did not work.

#36 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

RIP current GMC

• Global Moderators
  • 1453 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:23 PM

sorry for like - a whole months bump, but i need to know what the file extension number is for .png (i know there's a list somewhere, but i cant find it)

EDIT - Also, i need to check if this will work with the screenshot thingy:

var img,png_default;

img = gmfi_load(0,savename + '.bmp');
gmfi_save(img,2,savename + '.png',png_default);
gmfi_unload(img);

OR

var img,jpeg_quality;

jpeg_quality = 50;
img = gmfi_load(0,working_directory+"\screenshot.bmp");
gmfi_save(img,2,working_directory+"\screenshot.jpg",jpeg_quality);
gmfi_unload(img);

I've tried the png and jpeg one and they both return Empty shells (0 Bytes filesize) does anyone know how to use this dll properly, if so, can you help me?

Edited by wormintheworks, 17 April 2008 - 10:41 PM.

See you all on the other side.

Back & share :)

#37 digitalwar

digitalwar

GMC Member

• 321 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:05 AM

Hello, this dll is one of the best dll's on the GMC.
I have a basic problem, and I don't know if it's a bug, or if I am using the DLL wrong .

ww_1=100
hh_1=200
img = gmfi_load(type,fl);
gmfi_rescale(img,ww_1,hh_1,0)
gmfi_save(img,0,temp_directory+"\spr1.bmp");
gmfi_unload(img)

This works, it rescales the image to 100x200 pixels and saves the image in the temp directory. The problem is that it does not unload the image from memory. I use task manager, and if I use this process for 5-6 times on different images( that can be up to 2000x2000 pixels), my memory goes from 20mb to 110mb.
What is the problem with unload, can this be fixed? Thank you
... ... ...

#38 Xantier

Xantier

GMC Member

• 362 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:19 AM

really good. Will you release the source ? I've been looking for an example which can load all image files like that. You'll make me happy , if you release.

#39 Adventus

Adventus

GMC Member

• 516 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:42 AM

it would be very nice if it worked, but with the basic example converted to gm7 I only manage to convert to bitmap and some corrupted form of png. Jpeg is also possible, but he is very picky, 70% of all images did not work.

It would be better if people knew what they were doing. Saving most image formats requires some sort of conversion beforehand, like palletising, pixels depths, etc. Know you source and destination formats.

Does the example work for most image types?

This works, it rescales the image to 100x200 pixels and saves the image in the temp directory. The problem is that it does not unload the image from memory. I use task manager, and if I use this process for 5-6 times on different images( that can be up to 2000x2000 pixels), my memory goes from 20mb to 110mb.
What is the problem with unload, can this be fixed? Thank you

Hmm, I'm not sure (i dont have gmfi's source anymore) but does gmfi_rescale() allocate another image?.... try:

ww_1=100
hh_1=200
img0 = gmfi_load(type,fl);
img1 = gmfi_rescale(img0, ww_1,hh_1,0)
gmfi_save(img1,0,temp_directory+"\spr1.bmp");
gmfi_unload(img0)
gmfi_unload(img1)

really good. Will you release the source ? I've been looking for an example which can load all image files like that. You'll make me happy , if you release.

Its almost a direct translation of the FreeImage DLL, i did not write any of the core functions myself. I suggest you look it up, its quite powerful (as you can see).... if you need something lighter use DevIL or SDL_image.

Edited by Adventus, 21 May 2008 - 09:50 AM.

#40 digitalwar

digitalwar

GMC Member

• 321 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:12 PM

hi, unforunatly

ww_1=100
hh_1=200
img0 = gmfi_load(type,fl);
img1 = gmfi_rescale(img0, ww_1,hh_1,0)
gmfi_save(img1,0,temp_directory+"\spr1.bmp");
gmfi_unload(img0)
gmfi_unload(img1)

does not free the memory :( . Even if I use your example, the memory is not released ... To bad you don't have the source anymore, it's really a great DLL, but I think the unload feature is very important.

EDIT !!!
I noticed that the unload works if you only convert between formats (load and save). If you apply effects or try to resize the image, the unload function does not work anymore :o.
Can you fix this ? This dll is perfect ,but without the unload function, you can't do anything with it :(
Thank you

Edited by digitalwar, 21 May 2008 - 09:34 PM.

... ... ...

#41 szepi1991

szepi1991

GMC Member

• 177 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:49 AM

I've tried the png and jpeg one and they both return Empty shells (0 Bytes filesize) does anyone know how to use this dll properly, if so, can you help me?

similar here, but in my case png works, jpeg doesn't..
I don't change anything other than the format so I don't get why it does that.. any ideas?

#42 Mister_M

Mister_M

GMC Member

• 499 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:41 AM

Sorry for the bump but I cant have the DLL save a sprite with multiple subimages as an animated GIF file.
Any tips?

#43 Un_t0uch

Un_t0uch

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 868 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:58 PM

You're my hero.

Used it in my program, I credited this.

Edited by Un_t0uch, 31 July 2008 - 03:18 AM.

thx for the avantar t3mpets

hey guys im in a quote lol

THIS AVATAR IS FOR NEXT YEAR THEREFORE I AM THE FURTHEST IN THE FAD

#44 cswenson1

cswenson1

CS Games

• 725 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:08 PM

I converted it so that myn converts a specific image to a jpeg to a specific place. So there is no buttons, its all in the control object. So the game starts and ends quickly converting the image. But when i make the code do a alarm event, the jpeg is all black:
Create event > alarm[0] = 1; [the other code i have, including the needed create event code for this dll];
alarm 0 > [the code i need to convert the image, all variables filled that the buttons were suppose to fill]; alarm[0] = 1

so the alarm keeps repeating every 1 sec. But like said, it just makes the jpeg black..
Please help! I will post the gmk if needed!

My DLL's:
MWin DLL - Message Box DLL - Battery Life DLL

How to: Make a DLL for Game Maker - Part1 | Part2

#45 brett14

brett14

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1151 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:06 AM

Thank you!! I needed support for jpegs!

P3DC V6.00 | Editor14 | Large 3D Terrain

GML programmer since 2005, C/C++ programmer since 2009, Java programmer since 2012

#46 FireCaller

FireCaller

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:59 AM

I converted it so that myn converts a specific image to a jpeg to a specific place. So there is no buttons, its all in the control object. So the game starts and ends quickly converting the image. But when i make the code do a alarm event, the jpeg is all black:
Create event > alarm[0] = 1; [the other code i have, including the needed create event code for this dll];
alarm 0 > [the code i need to convert the image, all variables filled that the buttons were suppose to fill]; alarm[0] = 1

so the alarm keeps repeating every 1 sec. But like said, it just makes the jpeg black..
Please help! I will post the gmk if needed!

Yes, post the gmk. I might be able to help you, I have a bit of experience with this dll.

BTW- Has anyone used gmfi_get_height() and gmfi_get_width()? I load a jpg into memory and call one of these scripts using its index, and it exits out of the event I'm running it in. Totally weird, it doesn't give an error message, just skips the rest of the code in the left released event and acts like nothing happened.

Could it be a bug in the dll *shrugs* :D

#47 gm toadstool

gm toadstool

GMC Member

• 56 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:14 PM

I would LOVE if you could add JPEG Meta-data read functions :D

But it doesn't seems like the example works with GM8 on W7 :)

#48 freko

freko

The Professional

• GMC Member
  • 504 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:25 PM

I can't believe it, this is still alive!!!