#1 NinjaBril

NinjaBril

Many games, little time

• GMC Member
  • 2339 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:14 AM

Posted Image

Cellz is an evolution game where you go generation to generation to make your size adapt to the enviornment, and make the conditions for the future generations better to live for. This game is about survival of the fittest.

For more info, and for the download, go to the website http://www.twistergh...Senar&page=Home

I will have to say that this game is a slow start, so if you only plan on playing this game for a couple minutes, I wouldn't bother. After you get after the first 10 generations, the game starts to pick up.

forgot to list these:

-qmusicoff: will turn off the music
-qsoundoff: will turn off the sound
-qmusicon: will turn on the music
-qsoundon: will turn on the sound

you type this in the game room and you should hear a whip to confirm it.

----------------------------------
if you think that this game starts off too slow, dl this file. It starts you off at generation 20, and 200 and something Development Points.

http://www.box.net/shared/5l4ch6f9gm

If you Download the game why not comment?

UPDATE [7.9.07]

TUTORIAL V2 RELEASED!!! check on the website under downloads.

Edited by Senar, 10 July 2007 - 10:35 AM.

Formally Senar.

NinjaBril's Showcase:
That Name Game! | Chips World | Cellz | Dataster | Nos | Mazemerized | Ankz Reminisce

#2 Games

Games

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 2968 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:54 AM

Review of Cellz

GamePlay: 6/10

The Gameplay in this game is far, far too basic. It needs something else... all you seem to do is swim around. Give some direction, because although we say we like being thrown into a game with no explanation.. it has its exceptions. This is one of them. Give us more of a direction, and that will improve this grade.

Looks: 7/10

This is difficult. It looks good, and albeit, the graphics are custom, but its just so.. bland. Use some smoother graphics, or just.. improve them all with a bit make over. The background effects were nice.

Proffessionalism: 4/10

It wasnt the best, but it was there. Not enough signalling, that was the problem. I didn't know how to access the Stat menu until restarting the game. I know it is in the main menu, but I didnt know how to get there! Pressing esc didn't work for most of the times I pressed it. Other than that, polish it up a bit more.. thats all.

Sounds: 2/10

I did hear some sounds, but its hard to rate fair in a cells game. Cells are silent.. generally. Using the fact that they are known for being tiny in size, add some squeaky sounds.. of them squeaking around like rats. Oh, and the silence fact doesnt excuse the lack of signal beeps and background music.

Replayability: 4/10

Didnt do to well. I liked it once, but it was just too boring! Add some.. quests, or direction, or something! There may be more to it that I missed, but the player will only discover that if they aren't forced to quit by boredom.

Final Marks:23/50
+1 for custom sprites and such.
-1 for lack of introduction.

Overall mark and Final Notes:
23/50
46%

This game needs some sort of.. direction. Honestly, that alone, and the rating would shoot up! If you were do add a beginning quest, and some visible upgrades you can experience early on, it would keep people playing. Sounds are definitely needed, and I'm not sure, but make sure to use the draw event alot.. especially in your GUI. It was very jumpy.. and as a matter of fact, not much Global User Interface going on there.

Verdict: 46% Below Average

Review by -Innimmaculate-

Edited by Innimmaculate, 10 June 2007 - 12:05 AM.

Click to visit Toydaker.com
For Sale: 3 Editables, 40 dollars (demo on site above). Click to purchase.

#3 metalhead1023

metalhead1023

GMC's only emo kid

• 612 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:27 AM

review guy has no time

#4 Xenomorph

Xenomorph

GMC Member

• 222 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:32 AM

Well, It had good gameplay, but it had somethings that bugged me:
The background shouldn't move faster than the player
The movement was a little fishy, hard to get the food
No real challenge. Add some evil things
I have an extreme dislike over games that force fullscreen and change resolution

Its a good start, though. Keep up the good work!

#5 NinjaBril

NinjaBril

Many games, little time

• GMC Member
  • 2339 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:36 AM

Review of Cellz

GamePlay: 6/10

The Gameplay in this game is far, far too basic. It needs something else... all you seem to do is swim around. Give some direction, because although we say we like being thrown into a game with no explanation.. it has its exceptions. This is one of them. Give us more of a direction, and that will improve this grade.

Looks: 7/10

This is difficult. It looks good, and albeit, the graphics are custom, but its just so.. bland. Use some smoother graphics, or just.. improve them all with a bit make over. The background effects were nice.

Proffessionalism: 4/10

It wasnt the best, but it was there. Not enough signalling, that was the problem. I didn't know how to access the Stat menu until restarting the game. I know it is in the main menu, but I didnt know how to get there! Pressing esc didn't work for most of the times I pressed it. Other than that, polish it up a bit more.. thats all.

Sounds: 2/10

I did hear some sounds, but its hard to rate fair in a cells game. Cells are silent.. generally. Using the fact that they are known for being tiny in size, add some squeaky sounds.. of them squeaking around like rats. Oh, and the silence fact doesnt excuse the lack of signal beeps and background music.

Replayability: 4/10

Didnt do to well. I liked it once, but it was just too boring! Add some.. quests, or direction, or something! There may be more to it that I missed, but the player will only discover that if they aren't forced to quit by boredom.

Final Marks:23/50
+1 for custom sprites and such.
-1 for lack of introduction.

Overall mark and Final Notes:
23/50
46%

This game needs some sort of.. direction. Honestly, that alone, and the rating would shoot up! If you were do add a beginning quest, and some visible upgrades you can experience early on, it would keep people playing. Sounds are definitely needed, and I'm not sure, but make sure to use the draw event alot.. especially in your GUI. It was very jumpy.. and as a matter of fact, not much Global User Interface going on there.

Verdict: 46% Below Average

Review by -Innimmaculate-

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hehe youd have to be a fan.

review guy has no time

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha

Well, It had good gameplay, but it had somethings that bugged me:
The background shouldn't move faster than the player
The movement was a little fishy, hard to get the food
No real challenge. Add some evil things
I have an extreme dislike over games that force fullscreen and change resolution

Its a good start, though. Keep up the good work!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

xeno, the enemys spawn every 3 minutes, and the revolution...that could be in order

Formally Senar.

NinjaBril's Showcase:
That Name Game! | Chips World | Cellz | Dataster | Nos | Mazemerized | Ankz Reminisce

#6 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 12:35 PM

What is a '.clz' file? I can download, but I cannot open. I'd definitely like to try this.

#7 Games

Games

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 2968 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:19 PM

The .clz file is the custom save file used for the game. Very clever if you ask me.

Oh, and what is mean by "the review guy has no time". I hope that isnt offensive.

#8 NinjaBril

NinjaBril

Many games, little time

• GMC Member
  • 2339 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:32 PM

What is a '.clz' file?  I can download, but I cannot open.  I'd definitely like to try this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well in order to use it, you have to dl the game, and dl the .clz, then load the .clz in the game and you can play as my file :D

The .clz file is the custom save file used for the game. Very clever if you ask me.

Oh, and what is mean by "the review guy has no time". I hope that isnt offensive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

innim, that is only his opinion

and do you guys think the start is too slow?

Edited by Senar, 09 June 2007 - 05:37 PM.

Formally Senar.

NinjaBril's Showcase:

#9 Games

Games

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 2968 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 06:44 PM

Yes, extremely. Change it into a tutorial of some kind, and that would be great! For example, have a textbox.. that tells you what to do, and awards you with points. Then it tells you how you can spend them.

#10 xX-ALTAIR-Xx

xX-ALTAIR-Xx

GMC Member

• 16 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 11:14 PM

review guy has no time

dont you mean too much free time XP

Edited by xX-ALTAIR-Xx, 09 June 2007 - 11:16 PM.

#11 Games

Games

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 2968 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 11:26 PM

haha, the only reason I write such big reviews it to test my review writer =D

#12 NinjaBril

NinjaBril

Many games, little time

• GMC Member
  • 2339 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 02:23 AM

alright, its nice that he wrote a review, but can we get back on topic?

any comments? has anyone tried it?

Formally Senar.

NinjaBril's Showcase:

#13 NinjaBril

NinjaBril

Many games, little time

• GMC Member
  • 2339 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 06:06 PM

sorry for the early bump but I added a tutorial on the website, it for those who get lost

Formally Senar.

NinjaBril's Showcase:

#14 GamerXA

GamerXA

GMC Member

• 46 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:48 AM

Pretty good game, 6.5/10. suggestion would be to put in a speed version that takes less time to play and more addaptions like more than one cells in a line or a complex multi celled organsism with muscle cells and nerve cells.

#15 NinjaBril

NinjaBril

Many games, little time

• GMC Member
  • 2339 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:30 AM

Pretty good game, 6.5/10. suggestion would be to put in a speed version that takes less time to play and more addaptions like more than one cells in a line or a complex multi celled organsism with muscle cells and nerve cells.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, well there is a speed version if you download the youCHEAT.clz file in the first post, and can you define multi celled organisms?

Formally Senar.

NinjaBril's Showcase:

#16 GamerXA

GamerXA

GMC Member

• 46 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:39 AM

Oh, well there is a speed version if you download the youCHEAT.clz file in the first post, and can you define multi celled organisms?

By speed version i mean that you start from generation 1 and it takes less time to lay an egg. Multi cellular creatures would be a string of cells or a string of cells with a nervous system running through them and muscles every so often but it would only have, mabye, 32 cells. That would give a giant amount of flexibility for the player to experiment with.

Posted Image

Posted Image

the Red Cells are Muscles
the Purple Cells are Nerves
the Blue Cells are Normal

EDIT: The YouCHEAT!.clz Doesn't work it says:
for object objDibree:

Error in code at line 1:
if spin=0

at position 4: Unknown variable spin

and my Cells Health Doesn't refill

EDIT2: When you die you should go back to the last evolution screen, you should also start off with 1000 development points in the evolution screen.

It should also have minigames and take less time to lay a egg.

Edited by GamerXA, 14 June 2007 - 10:42 AM.

#17 PhiniusMAster

PhiniusMAster

GMC Member

• 311 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:14 PM

I played the Tutorial after having a somewhat rancid experience with trying the game...so confusing...but all it told me was stuff I already knew, nothing about hoe to advance, when I would lay an egg...nothing. I have no idea how long I'll need to sit arorund eating anlgae until I'll be able to evolve, I played for 5 minutes but still nothing happened, everything was fine, just FAR too slow. I don't think that I'd want the cheat save file, just to be ABLE to play it through myself.

#18 NinjaBril

NinjaBril

Many games, little time

• GMC Member
  • 2339 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:21 AM

By speed version i mean that you start from generation 1 and it takes less time to lay an egg. Multi cellular creatures would be a string of cells or a string of cells with a nervous system running through them and muscles every so often but it would only have, mabye, 32 cells. That would give a giant amount of flexibility for the player to experiment with.

Posted Image

Posted Image

the Red Cells are Muscles
the Purple Cells are Nerves
the Blue Cells are Normal

EDIT: The YouCHEAT!.clz Doesn't work it says:
for object objDibree:

Error in code at line 1:
if spin=0

at position 4: Unknown variable spin

and my Cells Health Doesn't refill

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you have the weirdest error I have ever seen, because in order to create objdebree, you have to set spin so thats real weird. and I cant test to see your health because the spin error pops up. Did you extract the exe? it is real important to do that

I played the Tutorial after having a somewhat rancid experience with trying the game...so confusing...but all it told me was stuff I already knew, nothing about hoe to advance, when I would lay an egg...nothing. I have no idea how long I'll need to sit arorund eating anlgae until I'll be able to evolve, I played for 5 minutes but still nothing happened, everything was fine, just FAR too slow. I don't think that I'd want the cheat save file, just to be ABLE to play it through myself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmm i see what you mean. and I am sorry about the tutorial, it was sort of rushed, I will make a V2 for you.

Formally Senar.

NinjaBril's Showcase:

#19 spikeesam

spikeesam

GMC Member

• 677 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:25 AM

Its...OK.

#20 PhiniusMAster

PhiniusMAster

GMC Member

• 311 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:34 AM

Thanks, the game seems awesome, and I'm abig fan of Spore, and with the V2 Tutorial I think it'll be just about perfect. :)

#21 NinjaBril

NinjaBril

Many games, little time

• GMC Member
  • 2339 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 02:49 PM

@PhiniusMAster: Today I will have free time, and I will release Tutorial V2 for you today. or early tomarrow

Formally Senar.

NinjaBril's Showcase:

#22 GamerXA

GamerXA

GMC Member

• 46 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 10:33 PM

On the game, Quests would be a good idea and a god mode. playing god on a microscopic level makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside. ;)

V2 Tutorial.

Edited by GamerXA, 15 June 2007 - 10:34 PM.

#23 stinkoman_sd2007

stinkoman_sd2007

Storywriter

• 387 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:32 PM

I'm gonna play this game while waiting for Spore!

#24 picc84

picc84

GMC Member

• 438 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:01 PM

A) I cannot find a tutorial on your homepage

B) good game, but when do you "level up"!?!?! i have 2000 exp. or w/e and i have yet to level up.

#25 NinjaBril

NinjaBril

Many games, little time

• GMC Member
  • 2339 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:05 AM

On the game, Quests would be a good idea and a god mode. playing god on a microscopic level makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside. :)

V2 Tutorial.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

god mode is a very good idea, IF i decide to make Cellz 2, I will add it, but quest?? maybe missions, or task.

but im sorry for the delay of Tutorial V2, ive been working on my latest wip which will own Cellz (same concept)

I'm gonna play this game while waiting for Spore!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks man, but be on the look out for my latest wip, it will be way better than Cellz, but the concept isnt as close to Spore as Cellz is.

A) I cannot find a tutorial on your homepage

B) good game, but when do you "level up"!?!?! i have 2000 exp. or w/e and i have yet to level up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A) it is on the download page, right below the game download

B) well, every 5 minutes(i believe) you get an egg, so press space bar to lay it, and look under your hunger bar to see if you have any. And click on family Cellz to see if it says Egg: yes, if so, keep them highlighted and colide with them.

Edited by Senar, 18 June 2007 - 04:06 AM.

Formally Senar.

NinjaBril's Showcase:

#26 spikeesam

spikeesam

GMC Member

• 677 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:30 AM

Whoops forgot my official SPIKEEREVIEW!

Cellz

Why download Cellz?
- It makes you God
- You're going to give it to somone you hate

Why not download Cellz?
- Uninspired
- Ideas not fully developed
- Very boring

RATING: 4/10 Cellz attempts to be nothing great, is unoriginal and uninspired. However there is always fun to be had when your God of little critters!

Edited by spikeesam, 18 June 2007 - 04:30 AM.

#27 Paulus2

Paulus2

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:53 PM

Ok, I played for around ten minutes and didn't get it. There are no help screen at all, you seem to think that people will automatically know what's going on. The tutorial didn't explain anything, it just said that you go from yellow to green. This would be all well and good but I can't even work out how to go to green.

The only other fault I can point out is the background colours. They change after a period of time and sometimes they change to the same colour as the food you are hunting. This makes it all but impossible to play.

Other than that not too bad. Some explanation would be nice though. I even had trouble working out how to use the tutorial...

#28 NinjaBril

NinjaBril

Many games, little time

• GMC Member
  • 2339 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:52 AM

Thanks for playing the game Paul, but I release Tutorial V2, hopefully it explains much much more. :)

Formally Senar.

NinjaBril's Showcase: