Made with Game Maker 7.0 'Pro' by Ted Lauterbach
--------------------------------

----- Screenshots -----

Posted Image

Posted Image

More Recent Screenshots: [1] [2] [3]
v1.2.0.0 and older Screenshots: [1] [2] [3] [4]

----- Info -----

Enigma is an action puzzle platformer. Simply put, you shoot, jump around, and attempt to solve the mystery of the 'Enigma' (redundant? :unsure: ). It is an adventure style platformer, so all of the areas are interconnected and diverse in there features.

I have majorly changed the control scheme. A,S,W,D and the mouse are your primary tools. This will now support a more user friendly angled aiming system!

I would appreciate some comments on how the game plays, how it looks, and maybe even some enemy suggestions.

----- MAP -----

Current Map:
Posted Image
Note: This is only a small portion of the map. It's final size is 30 rooms x 15 rooms.

----- Features List -----

v1.3.2.0 Features:
-Fixed lack of keymapping...

v1.3.1.0 Features:
-Fixes listed in one of my posts(?)

NEW v1.3.0.0 Features:
-Fully Swimmable Water
-Several water effects
-Air system
-crouching
-horizontal ropes

-locked/unlockable doors
-ammunition display
-first boss fight
-skip option for introduction scene
-MAP SYSTEM
-enhanced lighting effects
-ambient effects added
-right click to use items
-inventory (item) descriptions
-tail rotor fix
-probably a bunch of other stuff I forgot...

v1.2.0.0 Features:
-360 Degree Shooting!!
-11 Playable rooms
-Introduction Sequence
-Full Working Item and Notes Systems!
-A Fancy animated helicopter
-A typerwriter effect message system
-Assault Rifle and Shotgun Added! (Not yet in demo)
-Added a new turret enemy
-Items used as keys (in tablets!)
-Probably a bunch of other stuff i forgot

v1.1.0.0 Features:
-Full working inventory menu
-12 directional shooting (mouse control)
-Room Teleportation
-Stationary Turret Enemies
-Gate Systems
-Forest Tiles (not in demo)

v1.0.2.0 & v1.0.1.0 Features:
-New User Friendly Aiming System
-Shooting (Spacebar) (also added a streak of light and empty casings!)
-Angled Shooting
-Cliff Hanging FIX (press left or right into a cliff to grab it)
-Angled shooting while cliff hanging
-Health System
-Enemies (3: Bat, Slug, and Snow Slug)
-Player damage when touched by enemy
-Destructable Solid Boxes
-Menu Skeleton (Enter and Exit only, no functions)
-Delta Time Framerate (sorta like. runs at a basic 50 fps though)

Older v1.0.0.x Features:
-Cliff hanging
-Slopes (walking up AND down)
-Dark System (using surfaces)
-Climbing
-fully animated player
-overlapping background tiling

features to be added:
-any suggestions you may have

----- Gameplay Controls -----

Default Controls:
Left Click: Shoot gun
A & D: Move
W: Jump, Grab Cliff, Climb Cliff, Climb Rope
S: Move Down on rope
E: Action Key
R: Reload Gun
Q: Open/Close Menu

Menu Controls:
To EQUIP/USE an item: Right click
To MOVE an item: Click the item, and drag it to prefered place

----- System Controls -----

Home Key: Turn on/off Debug Mode
F4 Key: Turn on/off Fullscreen Mode
Escape: End Game
M: Turn on/off MUSIC
N: Turn on/off NOISE (sound)

---------------------------------------------

----- Download -----

File Size: 5.21 mb (EXE)
Screen Resolution: 640x480
Resolution change: None

Download: Enigma v1.3.2.0 (Yo-Yo Games)
"Instant Play": Enigma v1.3.2.0 (Yo-Yo Games)

Older builds:
Download: Enigma v1.3.1.0(Host-A Hosting)

---------------------------------------------

Please report any problems with the links, or even a better host for the exe

Please respond with any comments. I will place your username or name in the credits when this project is completed.
I would also like it if you could tell me if you're getting full FPS on this and if not, what machine you're running.

----- Praise for Enigma -----

"I gotta tell you. When I clicked on the topic and saw the screenshots in my face, I got pumped.

The graphics in the demo are amazing. They in one light, they have relatively simple shape, with awesome shading and pixel work.
The character himself has many animations that are all very fluid, and smooth.
Getting off or onto a platform animation was a very neat little touch that provides that much more realism to the character and his human ability.

Controls and engine so far are very well done, easy, and ultimately very smooth to move around.

To go with the sprite comments, I felt refreshed with the unique graphical style. Very original and amusing.

The test level that you put us in seemed nice and smooth to move about in.
The grass looks great and the sky and such is nice.

The only small hiccup was with moving down the slopes, you kind of bounce down, instead of simply moving down.

This game, indeed, has much potential and I can't wait to see where it goes."
-Alex Muncatchy

----- Support Enigma -----
If you REALLY like this engine/game, and want others to share in it's likability, you can copy this banner code into your signature so others may be able to stumble upon it. You have to REALLY like it. :D
[url=http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=304154][img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a126/cool_manga_boy/Enigma/enigma_01.png[/img][/url]

Edited by cool_manga_boy, 06 August 2008 - 05:06 AM.

!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

[ Visit ] - [ VISIT 2 ] - [ Wave Shock ] - [ Mind Shock ] - [ I.C.E. ] - [ Enigma ] - [ Descent ]

Myspace: Rotten Taters [Ted] | FaceBook: Ted Lauterbach

#2 Billy MetAl

Billy MetAl

GMC Member

• 463 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:36 PM

awesome guy!
congrats!
Posted ImagePosted Image Need help with a game, or just need some music? Contact me :)

#3 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:51 PM

awesome guy!
congrats!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. What was cool about it?

Edited by cool_manga_boy, 08 June 2007 - 09:57 PM.

!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

[ Visit ] - [ VISIT 2 ] - [ Wave Shock ] - [ Mind Shock ] - [ I.C.E. ] - [ Enigma ] - [ Descent ]

#4 llama man

llama man

NOD Logo Artist

• GMC Member
  • 1592 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:58 PM

Nice. I like the engine so far. The graphics are good, did you make them yourself?
Also... How to make it become night?

#5 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:01 AM

Nice. I like the engine so far. The graphics are good, did you make them yourself?
Also... How to make it become night?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, llama man!

Yes, everything in this game has been entirely made by me, including the music.
Night mode should work when you press the N key... if not, I'm not sure why. Maybe someone else could tell you? :unsure:

But if you're wondering HOW I made the night mode work, i made an object that draws a nearly black surface in the game and has a sprite cut out some parts to be visible (in this case, a circle of "light" around the player)

I hope I answered you question right. :D

Thanks again guys!
!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

#6 llama man

llama man

NOD Logo Artist

• GMC Member
  • 1592 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:58 AM

I simply wanted to know what button to press :wacko: I see know that it was displayed in the game... I gotta be blind or something.

I like it even more now. :blink:

#7 Clarkyboy

Clarkyboy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 899 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 09 June 2007 - 08:41 AM

From the screen shot i think you should make the light from around you brighter unless its not supposed to look like a light.
i'm about ot play so i'l edit soon, looks really good though.

Thats great.
the game play is really good, i think you should add a bit of friction just to 'polish' up the game play. great work 9/10 :blink:

Edited by Clarkyboy, 09 June 2007 - 08:45 AM.

Acid  :)

#8 AC-426

AC-426

GMC Member

• 400 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 09:10 AM

Dude, awesome style! The short characters with their big-ass helmet look cute :blink: Keep it up. But please make his body bounce slightly as he runs. It looks too smooth.

I love the animation when he climbs up from a ledge.
The music is also great.

There's a glitch:
Stand on the right side of the platform (about 2 meters from the ledge) where the first dead guy is, then press Down. The player will disappear into the ground as if there's a rope there.

Good job so far, man :wacko:
I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this.

·· FactionWars ·· Subspace Gaming
· ·· Blazezone···· ·· Andy E.H.
··· ·· 3D FPS········· ·· WarriorArtiste
····· ·· DOOM 2D······ ·· Potnop

#9 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 03:40 PM

I simply wanted to know what button to press  :wacko:  I see know that it was displayed in the game... I gotta be blind or something.

I like it even more now.  :wacko:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's alright! :wacko: I'm really glad you enjoyed it!

From the screen shot i think you should make the light from around you brighter unless its not supposed to look like a light.
i'm about ot play so i'l edit soon, looks really good though.

Thats great.
the game play is really good, i think you should add a bit of friction just to 'polish' up the game play. great work 9/10 :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll probably figure out some friction to make it better. That's a pretty good plan! Thanks Clarkyboy!

Dude, awesome style! The short characters with their big-ass helmet look cute :blink:  Keep it up. But please make his body bounce slightly as he runs. It looks too smooth.

I love the animation when he climbs up from a ledge.
The music is also great.

There's a glitch:
Stand on the right side of the platform (about 2 meters from the ledge) where the first dead guy is, then press Down. The player will disappear into the ground as if there's a rope there.

Good job so far, man :wacko:
I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the good comment! I'm glad you like the style!

It shouldn't be too hard to adjust the animation slightly for his walk, so you can bet on seeing that in a later version. And now that you point it out, I just forgot to delete a rope object that was in that spot you mentioned. :wacko:

I'm glad I'm getting such a good response to this! You're helping inspire me to get this bad boy finished!

Edited by cool_manga_boy, 09 June 2007 - 03:41 PM.

!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

#10 [M]edieval

[M]edieval

MediYama Games

• 600 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:34 PM

It's great so far! Now add some enemies and shooting :D .

#11 twentyenginerunner

twentyenginerunner

GMC Member

• 110 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 09:42 PM

Nice engine so far. Reminds be a little bit of my own game. The hanging system was very well done, much smoother then most I've seen (including my own). Very good using original music. Here are a few suggestions from me:

- Program smoother slope movement (so that you don't bounce when move downhill).
- There are a few slight annoyances with collisions. For example, when you hit a block from below you bounce off in kind of a weird way. It's not much of an issue now but could cause problems if you have corridors or other narrow areas.
- The night engine causes a large amount of slowdown on my computer. Specs: AMD Sempron processor (1.75 GHz), around 700 MB RAM.

Posted Image

#12 krayzed896

krayzed896

GMC Member

• 60 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 10:10 PM

Liked it, since it's not even half way done it's looking to head in a really good direction. The thing is you forgot an invisible wall so I could fall out of the level. Other than that keep up the good work.

#13 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 10:32 PM

edieval,Jun 9 2007, 05:23 PM]
It's great so far! Now add some enemies and shooting :D .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am definately going to add enemies. Don't worry about that!

Nice engine so far. Reminds be a little bit of my own game. The hanging system was very well done, much smoother then most I've seen (including my own). Very good using original music. Here are a few suggestions from me:

- Program smoother slope movement (so that you don't bounce when move downhill).
- There are a few slight annoyances with collisions. For example, when you hit a block from below you bounce off in kind of a weird way. It's not much of an issue now but could cause problems if you have corridors or other narrow areas.
- The night engine causes a large amount of slowdown on my computer. Specs: AMD Sempron processor (1.75 GHz), around 700 MB RAM.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Downhill slope movement has never agreed with me. I'll probably have to figure something out with that...

And the slowdown problem sucks. Is there any way you could tell me what FPS you were getting, so I can set an option that lowers the frames?

Liked it, since it's not even half way done it's looking to head in a really good direction. The thing is you forgot an invisible wall so I could fall out of the level. Other than that keep up the good work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks krayzed896!

I'm glad so many people have taken a look at this! Any comments are good!
!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

#14 Torak

Torak

GMC Member

• 494 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 10:51 PM

Wow that was cool, It needs something to do now and it will be awsome!

#15 twentyenginerunner

twentyenginerunner

GMC Member

• 110 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:14 AM

Is there any way you could tell me what FPS you were getting, so I can set an option that lowers the frames?

Can't say exactly. Draw the fps in the next version and I'll be able to tell you for sure.

Posted Image

#16 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 01:10 AM

Is there any way you could tell me what FPS you were getting, so I can set an option that lowers the frames?

Can't say exactly. Draw the fps in the next version and I'll be able to tell you for sure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the fps menu doesn't come up, hit the Home button and it should come up in the top left corner. If you don't have a home button or something, sorry 'bout that, i'll the fps up for sure next time then :D

---EDIT---

I fixed some of the problems you guys pointed out like down-slope movement and the player hitting his head on a wall. They will be in the next version when i release it.

Edited by cool_manga_boy, 10 June 2007 - 01:18 AM.

!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

#17 Tahnok

Tahnok

Friendly Madman

• GMC Member
  • 1854 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 10 June 2007 - 01:47 AM

Definitely has potential. Is this going to be a linear platform game, or adventure?

The FPS settings are kind of odd. Most monitors can't even refresh at 150 frames per second, so there's no reason to have that setting. Better settings would be something like the more standard 30 and 60 frames per second.

The player animations are very smooth, but need a little bit of work. He looks like he's shuffling, not walking. Also, the speed increase when walking up slope looks a little unnatural (I think it's because the horizontal speed is kept constant while the vspeed increases, adding to a higher speed).

Nice touch making animations for the pulling up from the ledge; that's something I could never be bothered with in my own game (kind of similar, link in signature). One thing though, it gets kind of annoying when you're falling past a ledge and the player automatically grabs it. I think there needs to be a control for when the player grabs onto the ledge and when it falls past. Personally, I made it in my game so that you have to be holding the direction of the ledge to grab, otherwise you fall past it.

Also, vary your dead bodies a bit. The impact of seeing your entire team dead around you is lost when they all look exactly the same. Make them laying in different positions, with different wounds (again, I'm working on something similar, and have found it looks much better when they're all different).

gmc_signature.png

#18 Alex Muncatchy

Alex Muncatchy

GMC Member

• 1168 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 02:11 AM

I gotta tell you. When I clicked on the topic and saw the screenshots in my face, I got pumped.

The graphics in the demo are amazing. They in one light, they have relatively simple shape, with awesome shading and pixel work.
Getting off or onto a platform animation was a very neat little touch that provides that much more realism to the character and his human ability.

Controls and engine so far are very well done, easy, and ultimately very smooth to move around.

To go with the sprite comments, I felt refreshed with the unique graphical style. Very original and amusing.

The only small hiccup was with moving down the slopes, you kind of bounce down, instead of simply moving down.

This game, indeed, has much potential and I can't wait to see where it goes. :D
I'm not dead.
Releasing demo soon-ish.
game 4 years in the making.

#19 Clarkyboy

Clarkyboy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 899 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 10 June 2007 - 02:24 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Works fine for me
pc:
p4 1.5 ghz
796mb ram
128mb nvidia gforce ti 4200
now thats a slower comp
you must of had something running in the background or you got somthing wrong with your comp because it ran perfect for me.
i had gm7 msn, Firefox and inter video windvd 5 playing a dvd and it worked fine, the dvd lagged though lol

Edited by Clarkyboy, 10 June 2007 - 02:25 AM.

Acid  :)

#20 AC-426

AC-426

GMC Member

• 400 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:21 AM

Also, vary your dead bodies a bit. The impact of seeing your entire team dead around you is lost when they all look exactly the same. Make them laying in different positions, with different wounds (again, I'm working on something similar, and have found it looks much better when they're all different).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He wrote in the first post that it's just a demo level so you can test the engine.
Why worry about where and how the bodies are placed?

#21 hasser

hasser

GMC Member

• 537 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 11:02 AM

This is REALLY good!

my comments:

animation was good, but make so when going up a rope, if at the top you are holding right he gets up on the right side or if holding left on the left side...
also when he starts going down a rope it looks a bit bad so just make him start a bit higher or add an animation for that.

wall hanging was good but make if you are pressing away from the wall and press up then you jump off the wall. looking foward to seeing shooting from the wallhang position.

I know theyre just there for demonstration but the "bodies" looked like they were in crouching positions, not dead.

I liked the nighttime mode too.

#22 twentyenginerunner

twentyenginerunner

GMC Member

• 110 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 02:50 PM

If the fps menu doesn't come up, hit the Home button and it should come up in the top left corner. If you don't have a home button or something, sorry 'bout that, i'll the fps up for sure next time then

Got it. Without the night engine I get around 80 fps, with it about 50.

Works fine for me
pc:
p4 1.5 ghz
796mb ram
now thats a slower comp

The difference here is the video card. Mine is really nothing special, definitely not nvidia caliber.

Posted Image

#23 mazdaplz

mazdaplz

GMC Member

• 314 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 02:54 PM

this is awesome, im working on something similar to this, take a look at my beat em up engine :) i give you 8/10 until you add more stuff :P

#24 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:09 PM

Definitely has potential. Is this going to be a linear platform game, or adventure?

The FPS settings are kind of odd. Most monitors can't even refresh at 150 frames per second, so there's no reason to have that setting. Better settings would be something like the more standard 30 and 60 frames per second.

To answer your first question, it will be an adventure style. The 'Enigma' is what the player seeks. Kinda cool.

And yes, with the system I'm currently setting up, 30 or 60 frames will be just as easy to implement as 150. I'm probably going to drop the 150 anyway because it would cause some collision problems.

... Also, the speed increase when walking up slope looks a little unnatural (I think it's because the horizontal speed is kept constant while the vspeed increases, adding to a higher speed).

Good point. I'll fiddle around/fix that quick.

...One thing though, it gets kind of annoying when you're falling past a ledge and the player automatically grabs it. I think there needs to be a control for when the player grabs onto the ledge and when it falls past. Personally, I made it in my game so that you have to be holding the direction of the ledge to grab, otherwise you fall past it.

I have fixed the wall grabbing now. I changed the wall cling object's mask to be one pixel, so the only way to get to it would be by pressing back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The dead bodies were, in fact, a mistake i forgot to take out. In the story, the character gets knocked down, and I was going to use that sprite in a cutscene or something, and neglected to take it out of the test room.

Thanks for your big reply, Tahnok!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Works fine for me
pc:
p4 1.5 ghz
796mb ram
now thats a slower comp
you must of had something running in the background or you got somthing wrong with your comp because it ran perfect for me.
i had gm7 msn, Firefox and inter video windvd 5 playing a dvd and it worked fine, the dvd lagged though lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice!

I gotta tell you. When I clicked on the topic and saw the screenshots in my face, I got pumped.

This game, indeed, has much potential and I can't wait to see where it goes. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you so much! I...I don't have too many words to say how awesome it was to hear something like that!

I'm glad you guys are giving this such a nice response!

Edited by cool_manga_boy, 10 June 2007 - 03:12 PM.

!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

#25 TechnoSuperguy

TechnoSuperguy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 526 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:28 PM

Holy crap, this is awesome, and it's not even a full game yet! :( The graphics are perfect and wonderfully animated, the music rocks, the cliff-hanging and rope-climbing are flawless, the overall movement engine is nearly bug-free..... but the slope movement isn't quite right. As already mentioned, the character seems to "bounce" down slopes, which looks somewhat silly (but hey, it happens to lots of other programmers, too, including myself :P ).
The night vision worked fine for me, even though my FPS continually wobbled around the 70 mark. Speaking of which, night mode looks really awesome, and very professional.

I can't wait to see the next update for this awesome game!!!

#26 Billy MetAl

Billy MetAl

GMC Member

• 463 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 06:18 PM

hey cool manga boy if you need songs just ask
Posted ImagePosted Image Need help with a game, or just need some music? Contact me :)

#27 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:39 PM

v101 out, read first post for more details...

I do appriciate your comments as well! It makes me want to get this done even faster!

Holy crap, this is awesome, and it's not even a full game yet!  The graphics are perfect and wonderfully animated, the music rocks, the cliff-hanging and rope-climbing are flawless, the overall movement engine is nearly bug-free..... but the slope movement isn't quite right. As already mentioned, the character seems to "bounce" down slopes, which looks somewhat silly (but hey, it happens to lots of other programmers, too, including myself  ).
The night vision worked fine for me, even though my FPS continually wobbled around the 70 mark. Speaking of which, night mode looks really awesome, and very professional.

I can't wait to see the next update for this awesome game!!!

The slopes are now completely ironed out for up and down movement!

Also, Billy MetAl, I currently don't need any music for Enigma, but I do appreciate the offer!

Edited by cool_manga_boy, 27 June 2007 - 06:17 AM.

!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

#28 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:41 AM

I found some minor errors withing v101 that needed fixing.

I also totally revamped the control setup for v1.0.2.0 : you use the ASWD keys to move about and aim and shoot with the mouse.

Any comments about new features and tweaks would be very helpful! Thanks guys!
!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

#29 AC-426

AC-426

GMC Member

• 400 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:49 PM

Hey cool_manga_boy

Wow, someone's been a busy bee. Big update :(

(When I say Up, Down, Left, Right key, I of course mean W, S, A, D)

Mouse aim: You're definitely moving in the right direction if you ask me :D The only problem is that it's not 360 degrees. He can only shoot in 6 directions. If this is just a temporary limitation (due to the sprites), then disregard this note.
But if you intend to keep the limit at 6 directions then you might need to find another way to use the mouse for it. It feels a bit weird that he doesn't shoot where you aim.

When you run in one direction, you can't aim and shoot in the opposite direction. I assume you did that on purpose? Personally, I'd like to be able to shoot while moving backwards. I'm curious as to how others feel about it.

Blue Box: How do you interact with the blue, flashing box on the 2nd level?

Cliffhanging: As someone mentioned in the previous version, it can get a bit frustrating that he automatically grabs the ledge if you jump toward it. Maybe you could make it so that the player has to hold the Up key in order to grab the ledge? And to climb up he would release the key and press it again.

If it's not too complicated, I think it would be cool if the player could hang on to the ledge of a moving platform as well.

When you climb up from a ledge while holding either the Left or Right key, he doesn't move in that direction.
You have to release the key then press it again.

Ropes: Maybe make it so that the player can shoot while on a rope? Not while climbing the rope, of course. Only if he stays still.

Reflectors: On the snow level, I noticed 2 triangles at the top that can reflect bullets. This will be interesting ;)

Menu: Looking gooood.

Effects: Very nice particles.
And I love the shell casings ejected from the gun. They will even fall down hills! And the direction they're ejected also depends on whether you're aiming up or down. Very well done, man.

Graphics: The 2 new areas look very good. Cool snow (haha, get it? Cool snow?... never mind, I'm retarded :P)

Music: You got talent there too. My favorite tune is the one you hear on the 2nd level (grassland).

Hmm... Sorry if I forgot anything.
Awesome work so far!

#30 Inspire Media

Inspire Media

GMC Member

• 20 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:58 PM

Wow, this is looking pretty sick.

Grr. I made a game called Enigma also a couple months ago. It's available on my site. Grr again. I'm sorry, but it bugs me when someone has the same game name as me.

#31 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 05:48 PM

Mouse aim: You're definitely moving in the right direction if you ask me  The only problem is that it's not 360 degrees. He can only shoot in 6 directions. If this is just a temporary limitation (due to the sprites), then disregard this note

Well, I was thinking of making the aiming 360 degrees, but then the arms and head sprite would start looking unatural at some point. If there were a minimum set of directions you'd want, what would it be?

When you run in one direction, you can't aim and shoot in the opposite direction. I assume you did that on purpose? Personally, I'd like to be able to shoot while moving backwards. I'm curious as to how others feel about it.

Blue Box: How do you interact with the blue, flashing box on the 2nd level?

Again, this was a look issue. If his legs were one way and his body the other, I thought it would look silly. I don't know, I'll have to try that out. ;)
Unfortunately, I again left a test object that does nothing in the demo. Sorry for the confusion. But the action key in the future will be the E key.

Cliffhanging: As someone mentioned in the previous version, it can get a bit frustrating that he automatically grabs the ledge if you jump toward it. Maybe you could make it so that the player has to hold the Up key in order to grab the ledge? And to climb up he would release the key and press it again.
If it's not too complicated, I think it would be cool if the player could hang on to the ledge of a moving platform as well.

I may take you up on that suggestion. I never considered it frustrating to 'semi automatically' grab ledges though.
I don't forsee that grabbing moving platforms ever happening, but it would definately be sweet! Unfortunately there are enough problems with the moving platform as it is, and I'm considering taking it out of the game.

When you climb up from a ledge while holding either the Left or Right key, he doesn't move in that direction.
You have to release the key then press it again.

Nice catch! I never really even noticed that, but it is annoying! Thanks!

Ropes: Maybe make it so that the player can shoot while on a rope? Not while climbing the rope, of course. Only if he stays still.

I like it. I considered it before, I never planed on him shooting while climbing, but I never thought of him just shooting when he stood still on the rope either. That should be a nice little touch. :D

Reflectors: On the snow level, I noticed 2 triangles at the top that can reflect bullets. This will be interesting :)

Oh yes!

Menu: Looking gooood.
Effects: Very nice particles.
And I love the shell casings ejected from the gun. They will even fall down hills! And the direction they're ejected also depends on whether you're aiming up or down. Very well done, man.

Thanks! I wasn't sure how the setup and everything looked, but I guess it's fine!

Graphics: The 2 new areas look very good. Cool snow (haha, get it? Cool snow?... never mind, I'm retarded :GM069:)
Music: You got talent there too. My favorite tune is the one you hear on the 2nd level (grassland).

Yeah. I have the main melody of that one in every other song at least once, so you may be able to hear it too! A silly thing or other I guess. :GM069:

Wow, this is looking pretty sick.

Grr. I made a game called Enigma also a couple months ago. It's available on my site. Grr again. I'm sorry, but it bugs me when someone has the same game name as me.

:( Sorry that the names are the same. I hope you'll understand that I'm probably not really going to change the name that much. I checked out your game, and ours are different enough that no one will get them mixed up I think. (I couldn't even DREAM of making a game in 3D at this point :P ) But if it is a MAJOR problem I can and will change the name, since you technically have a game named "Enigma" first.
I think that naming issues like this are almost imossible to avoid... so I hope you understand...

Edited by cool_manga_boy, 01 July 2007 - 06:04 PM.

!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

#32 grandhighgamer

grandhighgamer

Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 3876 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 06:24 PM

Nice! I got a solid 50/50 FPS the whole way through.

GHG WUZ ERE

#33 kamakazee

kamakazee

GMC Member

• 82 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:56 AM

WOW! I love the new controls! The graphics and animations are awsome, keep up the good work.

P.S. Cant wait for the finished version!

#34 Inspire Media

Inspire Media

GMC Member

• 20 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:52 AM

But if it is a MAJOR problem I can and will change the name, since you technically have a game named "Enigma" first.
I think that naming issues like this are almost imossible to avoid... so I hope you understand...

Oh, of course. I was just checking in so that you don't claim ownership over the name or something...or go on and have it copyrighted. No need to change it, and thanks for the compliment. ;)

#35 Tahnok

Tahnok

Friendly Madman

• GMC Member
  • 1854 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:53 AM

Solid 50 FPS for the entire demo.

I'm a big fan of 6 direction shooting, but the system you've come up with now seems pretty odd. It seems like you're trying to combine 360 degree shooting with 6 direction, with limited success. If I'm using the mouse, I expect to have the full precision of the mouse (meaning 360 degrees). If you're going to keep it 6 direction, I highly recommend you rethink using the mouse, or atleast allow a setting for 6 direction purists like myself.

Also, if you do keep the mouse control, you need to make it so the mouse point direction has priority over the movement direction. It's very unnatural to be pointing the mouse to the right of the character and be moving the character left, and have the character shoot to the left. I think a better solution would be to allow the player to move backwards while shooting (which may require the introduction of walking backwards animations).

The ledge grabbing still needs a little work, but I don't think you should give up on it. Ledge grabbing adds a lot of depth to the player controls and gives a much more natural flow to things. However, that's no good if the flow is interrupted by false triggered ledge grabs. You definitely need to make it a little stricter.

If you want an example of when the ledge grab gets in the way, go to the second room. In the lower right corner there's a slope. If you go to the top of that slope (to the right), and then walk down it to the left, the character will grab a ledge on the way down. It seems wrong, as the character is expected to keep moving down the slope. Maybe it's just a matter of more careful level design.

Looking forward to future releases.

gmc_signature.png

#36 AC-426

AC-426

GMC Member

• 400 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:14 PM

Well, I was thinking of making the aiming 360 degrees, but then the arms and head sprite would start looking unatural at some point. If there were a minimum set of directions you'd want, what would it be?

The platformers I enjoy the most are the ones that let you aim 360 degrees.
But if you don't want that, then I would have to say at least 7 directions:
The 6 directions you currently have plus "straight up".
Maybe even "straight down" while he's on the rope.

I was just checking in so that you don't claim ownership over the name or something...or go on and have it copyrighted.  No need to change it, and thanks for the compliment.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't be silly. There is a world outside the GM community, you know.
"Enigma" is already taken.
It's almost impossible to come up with original titles these days (without making up totally ridiculous ones). One solution would be to add your name in front of the title like: "Tom Clansy's Splinter Cell" and "Clive Barker's Undying".
So you could have "CMB's Enigma" and "Inspire's Enigma" for example ;)

After all, the gameplay is what really matters.

If you want an example of when the ledge grab gets in the way, go to the second room. In the lower right corner there's a slope. If you go to the top of that slope (to the right), and then walk down it to the left, the character will grab a ledge on the way down. It seems wrong, as the character is expected to keep moving down the slope. Maybe it's just a matter of more careful level design.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't start redesigning the levels if I were him. Why not just assign a "ledge grab" key instead?

Which reminds me: cool_manga_boy, in my last post I suggested you use the Up key for that, but on second thought that might not be such a good idea if you decide later to add variable jumping (the player would be holding the Up key to achieve maximum height and accidentally grab on to the ledge).

Sorry that we're making such a big deal out of it, but it really could have a big impact on the gameplay.

#37 Inspire Media

Inspire Media

GMC Member

• 20 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:23 PM

Don't be silly. There is a world outside the GM community, you know.
"Enigma" is already taken.
It's almost impossible to come up with original titles these days (without making up totally ridiculous ones). One solution would be to add your name in front of the title like: "Tom Clansy's Splinter Cell" and "Clive Barker's Undying".
So you could have "CMB's Enigma" and "Inspire's Enigma" for example

Just googled it, and you're right. Enigma is already taken. Still not changing the name though. ;)

#38 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:12 PM

Solid 50 FPS for the entire demo.

I'm a big fan of 6 direction shooting, but the system you've come up with now seems pretty odd. It seems like you're trying to combine 360 degree shooting with 6 direction, with limited success. If I'm using the mouse, I expect to have the full precision of the mouse (meaning 360 degrees). If you're going to keep it 6 direction, I highly recommend you rethink using the mouse, or atleast allow a setting for 6 direction purists like myself.

Also, if you do keep the mouse control, you need to make it so the mouse point direction has priority over the movement direction. It's very unnatural to be pointing the mouse to the right of the character and be moving the character left, and have the character shoot to the left. I think a better solution would be to allow the player to move backwards while shooting (which may require the introduction of walking backwards animations).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I felt that mouse control would be easier for anyone just to pickup and use, so I'm definately going to keep it in. 360 degree shooting would be nice, so I should just get off my lazy streak and make a compound system-a-bobber that'll make it work. (I'll be tweaking this guy for centuries it seems <_< )

And yes, I will give the mouse direction priority over movement direction. I do agree that it starts off pretty awkward.

I'm also glad that people are getting solid framerates! Couldn't have hoped for something better!

The ledge grabbing still needs a little work, but I don't think you should give up on it. Ledge grabbing adds a lot of depth to the player controls and gives a much more natural flow to things. However, that's no good if the flow is interrupted by false triggered ledge grabs. You definitely need to make it a little stricter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have already implemented a cliff grabbing key (up key as a matter of fact) and I don't think I'll add variable jumping anyway, since the guy doesn't even jump that high in the first place. (To comment AC-426 anyway)

Yes, I never did bother about that little place in the second map, but it isn't the fault of level design, just "unstrict" cliff grabbing. Nice catch, and a VERY legimate reason.

The platformers I enjoy the most are the ones that let you aim 360 degrees.
But if you don't want that, then I would have to say at least 7 directions:
The 6 directions you currently have plus "straight up".
Maybe even "straight down" while he's on the rope.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks big time. Between you two, I've pretty much decided that 360 is the way to go.

Which reminds me: cool_manga_boy, in my last post I suggested you use the Up key for that, but on second thought that might not be such a good idea if you decide later to add variable jumping (the player would be holding the Up key to achieve maximum height and accidentally grab on to the ledge).

Sorry that we're making such a big deal out of it, but it really could have a big impact on the gameplay.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I commented above, I don't think i'll have variable jumping, but I WILL remember that if I do end up putting it in there somewhere.

And no way! That's a very good thing to make a big deal out of! As a game maker, you get used to what's strange and awkward, and these things require testing for playability. Just another reason to post here I guess.

I'm really appriciating your guys' feedback too. It's truly inspiring!
!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

#39 AC-426

AC-426

GMC Member

• 400 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:05 PM

And no way! That's a very good thing to make a big deal out of! As a game maker, you get used to what's strange and awkward, and these things require testing for playability. Just another reason to post here I guess.

I'm really appriciating your guys' feedback too. It's truly inspiring!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great attitude, Ted ::lmao::

Btw, I'm curious about the story. Have you given it much thought yet? Or are you going to wait till the engine is closer to completion?

#40 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:40 PM

Great attitude, Ted ;)

Btw, I'm curious about the story. Have you given it much thought yet? Or are you going to wait till the engine is closer to completion?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks!

And, yes, I have started work on some story bits, like how it begins and ends. Even though I have nothing worked out for the middle, I don't think I want to have much story there anyway. Kind of like an old S/NES game.

Development is still early too, so who knows? :(
!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

#41 00zach000

00zach000

GMC Member

• 106 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:26 PM

wow this looks amazing, however theres is a small problem. you "POW" variable is messed up so i cant play it ='( but gratz on graphics

#42 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:44 AM

wow this looks amazing, however theres is a small problem. you "POW" variable is messed up so i cant play it ='(   but gratz on graphics

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, but i'm not sure where or how that's happening. Could you tell me where in the demo that it comes up with the "pow" variable error?

I do believe that i will post a demo within a few days to show these new features, since a lot of the systems have been completed.

Edited by cool_manga_boy, 24 July 2007 - 09:34 PM.

!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

#43 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:34 PM

New version 1.1.0.0 is out!

I may also like to add that I've currently added this stuff:
12 directional shooting (Locked, non 360 degree)
8 directional cliff shooting (as above, same)
teleportation between rooms system
a stationary "turret" enemy
FULLY working item recieving and use

I just thought i might throw that stuff out into the open, in case anyone saw somthing not very cool.

I also apoligize for what I previously stated. I unfortunately WILL NOT be adding in 360 deg shooting because I have found that 12 directions greatly enhances the mobility as opposed to the old 6 direction.
!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

#44 IsickPuke

IsickPuke

GMC Member

• 433 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:30 PM

Not sure if this was previously said or not - too much reading and my eyes hurt - but there is a problem with the Night Mode thing.
I don't which one the problem is, but I will tell you my findings.

If you are in the cave and press 'N' then all the darkness disappears and the lighting is similar to the other three rooms.
However, if you are NOT in the cave and you press 'N' then the lighting turns into the cave lighting - dark except for a circle of light around you.

I thought maybe 'N' was only there to toggle the different lighting modes and that it would be removed in full version, but I thought I would let you know just in case this wasn't so.

Nice game overall. I am not a big fan of the bullets not going exactly where the cursor is (you have only X number of sprites which means only X number of aiming directions), but I guess that just comes with the style. Can't wait till full version.

#45 Alex Muncatchy

Alex Muncatchy

GMC Member

• 1168 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:56 PM

amazing new demo. I love it. Everything I wanted to see and more. :D
I'm not dead.
Releasing demo soon-ish.
game 4 years in the making.

#46 TechnoSuperguy

TechnoSuperguy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 526 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:19 PM

Fantastic update! It's even better than I expected. The new 12-directional locked shooting is cool, and looks a lot more professional than free-moving 360. The teleporting between rooms effect is perfect, and the fade transition is a nice touch. The inventory system is extremely well-done, and doesn't seem to have any problems. Oh, and the new title screen rocks. :ph34r:

The only thing that needs to be fixed in this game is the outdated help file. I couldn't figure out how to use the inventory weapons, since the help file didn't explain the left + right click technique, so I had to check your first post for instructions. No big deal, really, but it should be updated.

Keep it up! I can't wait to see the swamp-like level completed!

#47 AC-426

AC-426

GMC Member

• 400 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:49 AM

Dude, awesome menu, 12 direction gfx and new levels! I like the forest level in particular. And the things that TechnoSuperguy mentioned.

Here are a few things I noticed:

* When you disable the music the sound effects are disabled as well (except the sound of a box hitting the floor).
* When a turret hits the player he is thrown to the right regardless of where the shot came from.
* Touching a turret hurts the player.
* I know these sounds might be temporary, but I just want to remind you that the turrets are machines. They shouldn't make a pop sound when they explode ;)
* When I switch rooms a couple of times using the 1 key the game messes up, so I didn't get to play the cave levels.
I end up controlling several characters at the same time.
Here's a screenshot. Sorry I couldn't resist editing it a bit :P (I had just watched a couple of YouTube clips of Quagmire from Family Guy)
I did NOT manually add these guys.

Posted Image

Great update, Ted.
Keep up the good work :ph34r:

Edited by AC-426, 26 July 2007 - 01:34 PM.

#48 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:21 PM

Not sure if this was previously said or not - too much reading and my eyes hurt - but there is a problem with the Night Mode thing.
I don't which one the problem is, but I will tell you my findings.

If you are in the cave and press 'N' then all the darkness disappears and the lighting is similar to the other three rooms.
However, if you are NOT in the cave and you press 'N' then the lighting turns into the cave lighting - dark except for a circle of light around you.

I thought maybe 'N' was only there to toggle the different lighting modes and that it would be removed in full version, but I thought I would let you know just in case this wasn't so.

Nice game overall. I am not a big fan of the bullets not going exactly where the cursor is (you have only X number of sprites which means only X number of aiming directions), but I guess that just comes with the style. Can't wait till full version.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Originally, the 'N' key was for toggling 'night/dark mode', and was merely for testing purposes. I wasn't sure if the framerates were going to be workable for lower end computers with the night mode, so I had people test it out.

And you were right, that won't be in the final version, and I even forgot to take it out of this version. Thanks for the catch!

amazing new demo. I love it. Everything I wanted to see and more.  :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks very much! I'm really glad to hear that! I can't wait to finish this awesome piece of work either!

Fantastic update! It's even better than I expected. The new 12-directional locked shooting is cool, and looks a lot more professional than free-moving 360. The teleporting between rooms effect is perfect, and the fade transition is a nice touch. The inventory system is extremely well-done, and doesn't seem to have any problems. Oh, and the new title screen rocks. :(

The only thing that needs to be fixed in this game is the outdated help file. I couldn't figure out how to use the inventory weapons, since the help file didn't explain the left + right click technique, so I had to check your first post for instructions. No big deal, really, but it should be updated.

Keep it up! I can't wait to see the swamp-like level completed!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow! I was kind of worried about the non-360 degree shooting, but it seems that most of you don't think its that big of a problem.

And, yes, I'm sorry about the outdated help file. I must have been in a hurry!
Thanks for catching that as well, and sorry for the inconvienence!

Dude, awesome menu, 12 direction gfx and new levels! I like the forest level in particular. And the things that TechnoSuperguy mentioned.

Here are a few things I noticed:

* When you disable the music the sound effects are disabled as well (except the sound of a box hitting the floor).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, yes. I see what you mean. I will definately be able to do a quick fix for those problems. I outfitted a script that only plays a sound when the global.sound variable is true, and that included music too!

* When a turret hits the player he is thrown to the right regardless of where the shot came from.
* Touching a turret hurts the player.
* I know these sounds might be temporary, but I just want to remind you that the turrets are machines. They shouldn't make a pop sound when they explode :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm. I never noticed the locked throwing. Thanks, that's a really nice catch!
I thought that touching the turret should cause damage, just to add some sort of element. But yeah, that is kind of silly! I should definately fix that too.
The sound. That was just laziness speaking from me :P . I've made all the sounds, and I haven't really figured out a good way of making an explosion sound yet, but now that someone noticed, I better get on that :( .

* When I switch rooms a couple of times using the 1 key the game messes up, so I didn't get to play the cave levels.
I end up controlling several characters at the same time.
Here's a screenshot. Sorry I couldn't resist editing it a bit :( (I had just watched a couple of YouTube clips of Quagmire from Family Guy)
I did NOT manually add these guys.

Posted Image

Great update, Ted.
Keep up the good work :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Once again, I forgot to take out that debug key. You're not going to be able to transport through rooms like that in the next version. The compounding characters were caused by the old format of the game. The player was orignally non-persistant, and I had to create a character every time there was a new room. But now that he's persistant, well, I guess you figured it out! ::lmao::

You would never believe how hard I laughed at that screenshot. Simply histerical! Giggity, giggity! :)
I'm extremely flattered that someone would take the time to make that, especially with a game I made. :P

I really look forward to more replies from you guys! All the little errors you find will just make this game even better!
!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

#49 pivotman

pivotman

GMC Member

• 379 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:47 AM

how do i pick up items? :blink:
also room restart didn't work for me
-pivotman

#50 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:24 AM

how do i pick up items? :blink:
also room restart didn't work for me

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am VERY sorry. I forgot to update the controls in both the help file and on the forums!

To open chests is the E key. (Action Key). And, room restart doesn't work. That was a debug function I neglected to remove from the game controls.

All the controls you need should be in the first post now.

I am very sorry for the inconviences in control information, guys!

Edited by cool_manga_boy, 27 July 2007 - 04:26 AM.

!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]