• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:53 PM

R-THETA

Download:

Download from Host-A

Here is a mirror:
Download from 4Shared

Here is another mirror; a direct link to my site. R-THETA is the third link on the page:
Theta Games Home Page

Specifications:

Title: R-THETA
Genre: Original, Retrostyled Arcade Game
Download Size: 0.9 MB
Winzip Directory Includes: Stand-alone executable file, plus README.txt
Resolution: Sets to 320 x 240 (In order to minimize interpolation!)
Version: 1.2
Written In: :D Registered

Overview:

R-THETA is an original game concept, made in the style of the old Atari console games of the late 1970's. The gameplay is simple: you must prevent your rotating radar-scope line from hitting enemies. To do this, you control a shooter on the radar-scope that can move toward and from the centre of the radar scope, and shoot the enemies. As you shoot more enemies, your radar-scope line rotates faster, making the game increase in difficulty.

Because this game is based in polar coordinates, (rather than an x-y grid) your shots do not fire in a straight line. Instead, they maintain a constant distance from the centre and circle around. Also, the movement controls do not move the shooter left, right, up or down, but instead control its distance from the centre.

Though this might sound confusing, the game is very easy to get used to, and it becomes almost second nature.

Controls:

<UP ARROW>: Increase shooter's radius amount (move it away from the centre of the radar-scope)
<DOWN ARROW>: Decrease shooter's radius amount (move it toward the centre of the radar-scope)
<SPACE>: Fire a shot
<SHIFT>: Invert controls. (This might be useful for some players when the radar-scope line is 'upside down,' although I do not personally use it)
<ENTER>: Pause the game.

There are a variety of other controls options described in the README, to fit many playing styles. (I personally prefer moving with <W> and <S> and shooting with <CTRL>)

History:

While my XP was incapacitated, I decided to work on Game Maker 6 on my Windows 98. I wanted to make a simple, original, and artistic game that would fit onto a floppy disk. Thus, R-THETA was born.

Screenshot:

Posted Image

Notes:

-Because of the small resolution of the game, it is not recommended that you interpolate pixels.

-There are no set colours for this game. The game generates a random RGB value for drawing the various shapes. There is no saturation, so all the colours are bright and fully visible.

-There is also no set music for the game. I generated sine wave tones to fit scales that would sound good when the individual notes are played at random. This does not generate a "song," but instead a musical idea.

Updates: (7/15/07)

- A major graphics problem with this game was the interpolation (i.e. the 'blurring' of close-together pixels) that many newer machines perform. Ultimately, the game should look exactly like the screenshot, with no blurry pixels, as it does on my Windows 98. To attempt to get close to this, I decided to make it set the resolution to 320 x 240, as it is the smallest I could manage. If anyone knows how to set it smaller than that, please let me know. I couldn't even with code. To all who for some reason hate resolution setting games: I'm sorry, but it looks better now because there is less interpolation.

To all:

Please let me know what you think of this concept. Again, the controls take only a short time to get used to, but this only adds to the unique gaming experience.

Also, please post your high scores, as it helps a lot with setting the game's difficulty and "learning curve." Thanks a lot!

Edited by thetagames, 26 January 2008 - 11:24 PM.

#2 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:25 PM

Not bad, but the gameplay is repetitive and not very challenging. The concept and graphics are pretty cool, though, and I haven't seen any other games that play quite like this. I liked the sound effects, but the "music" was a bit off.

This games could definitely be developed a bit to make it more varied and interesting to play.

#3 pedrosorio

pedrosorio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 971 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:34 PM

This, my friend, is art...

(I'm also a fan of polar coordinates myself... :D)
"Let's leave the classics for your parents." - KC LC

#4 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:08 AM

To cactus:

Not bad, but the gameplay is repetitive and not very challenging. The concept and graphics are pretty cool, though, and I haven't seen any other games that play quite like this. I liked the sound effects, but the "music" was a bit off.

This games could definitely be developed a bit to make it more varied and interesting to play.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for your reply. The game progressively gets faster, so the beginning should be easy. Do you think that it progresses too slowly? Something like that would be easy to adjust; I just need feedback.

About the "music": I wouldn't consider it music, more of just atmospheric background sound effects. I could write a melody with the sine waves, and play it through a timeline, but I didn't really think it was necessary for the type of game (none of the old Atari games had complex music playing in the background). Besides, I think the random whole-tone notes add a sort of Charles Ives-like musical atmosphere in the game.

I am always open to suggestions, though.

To pedrosorio:

This, my friend, is art...

(I'm also a fan of polar coordinates myself... )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm glad you like it, and I thank you for the compliment. I always had thought that incorporating polar coordinates into a 2D game would add a new facet to it.

Thanks for your replies!
~ thetagames

EDIT:
P.S. (to all testers) Be sure to post your high scores!

Edited by thetagames, 22 May 2007 - 01:38 AM.

#5 10nitro

10nitro

GMC Member

• 67 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 02:22 AM

ohh... fun. A ability to get out of fullscreen would be nice, no matter what you tell it, my screen interpolates, so it looks bad. I like the beeps, but not the sound it makes when you shoot, it sounds "scratchy" and the rest sounds "shiny metallic" Also, I don't like it that your shot go faster the farther out you are, I get that you just add a constant number to the theta value, but that value should change to make it go a constant speed.

#6 Kapser

Kapser

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1645 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 02:39 AM

I cannot say this is art or that fun, but the gameplay mechanics are pretty original and the bullets were kinda fun to throw. Graphics and sounds are bit annoying but suits well.

Cool little game.

#7 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 02:11 PM

to 10nitro:

ohh... fun.  A ability to get out of fullscreen would be nice, no matter what you tell it, my screen interpolates, so it looks bad.  I like the beeps, but not the sound it makes when you shoot, it sounds "scratchy" and the rest sounds "shiny metallic"  Also, I don't like it that your shot go faster the farther out you are, I get that you just add a constant number to the theta value, but that value should change to make it go a constant speed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for your suggestions. This was somewhat of a side-project; as soon as I get my XP fixed, I'll work on Flatland again. About the windowed mode: The game is in 120 x 120 resolution, so the window would be about an inch wide. I might make a set ratio, so that the computer does not interpolate too much. However, I think it is inavoidable on machines that do it.

As for the beeps and other sound effects: all were generated through Audacity, so I was limited to sine, saw, and square waveforms, and white noise. The square waveforms make it sound "metallic," and the "scratchy" sounds are the white noise. What would you suggest doing to make the sound effects better?

In order to preserve the "rotational velocity" nature of the game, I think it is necessary to keep the varying speeds. It kind of makes it look like you're playing it on an LP record.

to Kapser:

I cannot say this is art or that fun, but the gameplay mechanics are pretty original and the bullets were kinda fun to throw. Graphics and sounds are bit annoying but suits well.

Cool little game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for your reply. The graphics of this game are intentionally retrostyled. However, what would you suggest that I do to change the sounds?

Thanks for all your replies!

~thetagames

#8 RPGillespie

RPGillespie

GMC Member

• 58 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:23 PM

Ha, another connoisseur of mathematics on the forum! Very innovative concept, and very smooth gameplay. It might be neat to see a version of that game in smooth non-retro graphics with particles and the like, but what you have certainly blends nicely with the theme.

Well Done, I look forward to trying out some of your other games,
RPGillespie

#9 Shade_Games

Shade_Games

GMC Member

• 162 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:51 AM

This is actually really fun! The game forces you to think in a different way, which is a good thing. It's an innovative concept, to be sure.

The may problem is that it's pretty repetitive (which makes sense, I guess, since it's based on a circle). But the project was clearly just intended as a minigame, so that's okay.

#10 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 12:38 AM

to RP Gillespie:

Ha, another connoisseur of mathematics on the forum!  Very innovative concept, and very smooth gameplay. It might be neat to see a version of that game in smooth non-retro graphics with particles and the like, but what you have certainly blends nicely with the theme.

Well Done, I look forward to trying out some of your other games,
RPGillespie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I liked your Mathroid' game. Thank you for your suggestions. Perhaps I'll make a different "skin" for the game, including particles and whatnot. I'll keep the retro graphics, but the player could switch between "skins." Do you think that would fit well?

to Shade_Games:

This is actually really fun! The game forces you to think in a different way, which is a good thing. It's an innovative concept, to be sure.

The may problem is that it's pretty repetitive (which makes sense, I guess, since it's based on a circle). But the project was clearly just intended as a minigame, so that's okay.

Thanks for your reply. This is what I intended to do: to make an innovative arcade-style minigame that forces you to think differently. I'm glad you liked it, and I thank you for the compliments.

Thanks to everyone!

~ thetagames

#11 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:12 AM

NEW UPDATE!!!!!!

Many reviewers noted the slow-paced nature of this game during the first couple minutes of gameplay. I decided to speed up the "learning curve," thus making the game more fast-paced in the beginning. Please let me know what you all think.

Any other suggestions are certainly welcome!

Thanks a lot!

~ thetagames

#12 Aertcz

Aertcz

Aleksander

• GMC Member
  • 1660 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:23 AM

Nice fun little game. It was quite innovative and I loved the originality. Great work and keep it up :)
Posted Image

#13 Fungames

Fungames

GMC Member

• 549 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:36 AM

Very creative.The game reminds so much of Intellivision.The resolution is so small that the pixals are blured.

4/5

#14 Mrpete

Mrpete

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:22 PM

This type of game is meant to be this way. All games of this genre even arcade had few levels if not just one and relied on the players skill to progress(same screen different color = new level). Wasn't until the later hardware in the consoles and arcades that these type of games opened up in levels and detail.

Good going... It's definetly classic gamming. :)

-Mrpete

#15 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:05 PM

Thank you all for your replies!

Nice fun little game. It was quite innovative and I loved the originality. Great work and keep it up :D

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it!

Very creative.The game reminds so much of Intellivision.The resolution is so small that the pixals are blured.

Yes, the resolution is 120 x 120. I'm not sure what Intellivision's was, but it probably was around that. The pixels are blurred because your machine interpolates. I personally hate interpolation, and try to shut it off whenever I can. It's fine for larger resolution games, but when you are going for the old Atari look, interpolation just doesn't work.

This type of game is meant to be this way. All games of this genre even arcade had few levels if not just one and relied on the players skill to progress(same screen different color = new level). Wasn't until the later hardware in the consoles and arcades that these type of games opened up in levels and detail. 

Good going... It's definetly classic gamming. :P

-Mrpete

This is exactly what I was going for: A completely new game idea built in the style of classic games of old. Thanks!

To all: Please post your high scores. I'm still trying to gauge the game's difficulty.

Thanks again!

~ thetagames

Edited by thetagames, 30 May 2007 - 09:07 PM.

#16 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:05 AM

Though this game looks cool, it extremely easy. Make it spin faster a lot... faster.

Score=I don't know. I got bored so I quit... Sorry :D

Posted Image
Check out my website (above) for finished and upcoming games.
Solar Blue-The Mansion-God's Watch
Note: My name has changed. My old name was STARFOXROX.

#17 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:39 AM

to STARFOXROX:

Though this game looks cool, it extremely easy. Make it spin faster a lot... faster.

Do you think that I should make the original speed faster, or perhaps change the speed at which the speed of the radar-scope line increases? Because as you shoot more and more enemies, the game gets continually faster. The difficulty of the game increases with time, as any good game should.

Thanks for your reply,

~ thetagames

#18 10nitro

10nitro

GMC Member

• 67 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:01 AM

so the window would be about an inch wide

That'd be nice, I sometimes like having a little game running in the corner while whatever loads.

What would you suggest doing to make the sound effects better?

I don't know, it just doesn't fit...

Yes, the resolution is 120 x 120. I'm not sure what Intellivision's was, but it probably was around that

160x196...multiples of 32, I would have guessed 128x128 (exponents of 2).

I for one thought it was hard... I'm not so good at playing games.

#19 erthgy

erthgy

GMC Member

• 1718 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:41 PM

i myself liked this game, perhaps you should add another twist to the gameplay to make it mroe challenging.
"I'M BAAAACK WHATCHA GONNA DO NOW?"

#20 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 01:16 PM

That'd be nice, I sometimes like having a little game running in the corner while whatever loads.

I can make it switch between full-screen and windowed modes with F4. The default, though, will still be full-screen.

160x196...multiples of 32, I would have guessed 128x128 (exponents of 2).

Oops, that was a typo. The game is not 120 by 120, neither is it 128 by 128. (120 by 120 is the resolution of another game I've been working on) It's actually (and this explains a lot of the interpolation) 48 by 48, because the radius of the radar-scope line is always 24.

i myself liked this game, perhaps you should add another twist to the gameplay to make it mroe challenging.

Although I would consider this to be a minigame, I am always open to gameplay suggestions that would fit the style.

Thanks for the replies,

~ thetagames

Edited by thetagames, 04 June 2007 - 01:17 PM.

#21 cheeserules

cheeserules

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 570 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 05:03 AM

fun little game! :D it got boring a bit, as i only played 1 time before i stopped, but graphics were fun (I didn't turn on the sound for reasons listed in previous posts, plus i hate arcade music... :P anyway, fun little game i can't wait to see it progress :D

EDIT:
I scored 955 i think i just suck @ it :)

Edited by cheeserules, 10 June 2007 - 05:04 AM.

SOMETHING WITTY!

#22 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:10 PM

Can get around interpolation by using view ports. I use it to run 320x240 graphics on 640x480 resolution (for PC's that can't manage 320x240).

#23 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:32 PM

100+ Downloads!!!! Yay!

fun little game! wink1.gif it got boring a bit, as i only played 1 time before i stopped, but graphics were fun (I didn't turn on the sound for reasons listed in previous posts, plus i hate arcade music... wacko.gif anyway, fun little game i can't wait to see it progress smile.gif

EDIT:
I scored 955 i think i just suck @ it medieval.gif

Thanks! This was intended to be just a minigame, so I'm not going to go 'all out' with hundreds of enemies or anything - it was more of a concept game than anything else. However, if you have any ideas to improve the gameplay, please post!

955 isn't bad for your first try. The game gets really intense as your score gets higher.

Can get around interpolation by using view ports.  I use it to run 320x240 graphics on 640x480 resolution (for PC's that can't manage 320x240).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really? Could you tell me how?

Thanks for your interest!

~ thetagames

#24 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:53 PM

Ok example, if you want to scale a low res 320x240 screen to fit double to 640x480 without blurry crap go to In View tab of a room put something like W: 320, H: 240 in the View In Room bit and W: 640, H: 480 in the Port On Screen bit. Should do the trick. Does for me anyways.

Mess about with those settings for what ya need.

PS: yer sig is looking a tad big. Should shrink the fonts.

Edited by Wolverine, 11 June 2007 - 01:54 PM.

#25 cheeserules

cheeserules

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 570 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:33 PM

PS: yer sig is looking a tad big.  Should shrink the fonts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that's the point he wants his sig to be noticed so people will play his game :whistle:
SOMETHING WITTY!

#26 cheeserules

cheeserules

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 570 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:41 PM

HIGHSCORE: 2247 ^_^
BAM!
Also I didnt give u a rating last time so 8.5/10 :whistle:
And that's really not bad I'm a hard rater ::lmao::
SOMETHING WITTY!

#27 yomomma

yomomma

GMC Member

• 367 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:06 PM

WTF? :)

Excuse me, is this a joke?

#28 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:40 PM

HIGHSCORE: 2247 :P
BAM!
Also I didnt give u a rating last time so 8.5/10 :)
And that's really not bad I'm a hard rater :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks! I'm thinking of expanding this game; I already have ideas for powerups and new enemies that would fit the style of the game. I also will adjust the viewport settings so that there is no more interpolation.

~ thetagames

Edited by thetagames, 18 June 2007 - 06:07 PM.

#29 Ecstatic

Ecstatic

GMC Member

• 232 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:52 PM

Neat game. Can you please explain (in a nutshell if it's a long explanation) what polar coordinates are and how to use them?

#30 pedrosorio

pedrosorio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 971 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:06 PM

In this case we're talking about 2-dimensional polar coordinates. If you have the basics of trigonometry it's easy to understand. Instead of representing a point by its (x,y) coordinates, it is represented by its distance ® to the center and the angle (theta) it makes with the x-axis, that way, you can convert from polar coordinates to (x,y) like this:

x = r * cos(theta)
y= r * sin(theta)
"Let's leave the classics for your parents." - KC LC

#31 Nealge

Nealge

Rush and Pink Floyd fan

• GMC Member
  • 229 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:28 AM

aw crap, bandwith is exceded so I can't download :D

#32 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:57 PM

aw crap, bandwith is exceded so I can't download ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, that was relatively quick. Do I have to give Host-A money now to get more bandwidth?

Regardless, I put up a mirror, which will link you to my site:

Theta Games Home Page

to Ecstatic:

pedrosorio's description of polar coordinates is accurate. In this game, each object has too position variables: radius, and theta. Using those two formulas, I was able to convert everything to x-y coordinates.

Edited by thetagames, 22 June 2007 - 12:57 PM.

#33 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:52 AM

I've put up another mirror, with 4Shared, because my bandwidth with Host-A has been exceeded.

All should work well now.

#34 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:06 PM

UPDATE!!!!!

This isn't a major update, as it contains no new game material. Instead, I played around with resolution settings, as well as view ports and display scaling, all to try to minimize the hated interpolation.

I think I've gotten it as best as it is going to get. Now the game sets the resolution to 320 x 240. (please live with it) If anyone knows how to (with code) make the resolution set smaller, please let me know. I tried the function display_set_size, but it still wouldn't let me set the resolution lower than 320 x 240. If I could set it to 160 x 120, then there would be no interpolation at all.

Thanks to all who commented. I think the game looks a lot better now with less interpolation.

~ thetagames

Edited by thetagames, 15 July 2007 - 08:07 PM.