npc3232

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 125 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:46 PM

EDIT 1: Most current file location for 1.4a:

http://www.mediafire...gvalyo7agny8ao7

EDIT 2: Fix 1.4b - For those using midi_write_record_begin() there were timing issues with 1.4a, the following replacement DLL was created in 2010 upon request but I no longer have the source code. The DLL was compiled with Visual C++ rather than mingw like 1.4a.

http://www.mediafire...php?zemmh2weijw

This dll allows you to play midi files, individual midi notes, and to write midi files in format 0. It also allows simple recording where all midi note/command output (not file playing however) is written to a file. The midi input is limited and may be buggy, it is completely untested, as I am unable to. It uses the Windows functions rather than allegro functions so midi_init() is not required. I added the digmid capabilities to this dll after I discovered a way for it to work the way I intended; my other dll is therefore decrepit and useless unless you wish to use both at once.

midi_deviceIn_count
midi_deviceIn_name
midi_deviceOut_count
midi_deviceOut_name
midi_input_init
midi_input_exit
midi_input_buffer_length
midi_input_get_buffer
midi_init
midi_init_file
midi_init_ext
midi_init_dig
midi_exit
midi_note_play
midi_note_play_timed
midi_note_stop
midi_command
midi_volume_edit
midi_return_cmd
midi_add
midi_play
midi_stop_all
midi_pos_seek
midi_length_beats
midi_length_seconds
midi_pos_beats
midi_pos_seconds
midi_set_volume_local
midi_set_volume_global
midi_write_begin
midi_write_end
midi_write_MThd
midi_write_MTrk_begin
midi_write_MTrk_tempo
midi_write_MTrk_instrument
midi_write_MTrk_noteON
midi_write_MTrk_noteOFF_all
midi_write_MTrk_noteOFF
midi_write_MTrk_end
midi_write_MTrk_command
midi_write_MTrk_size
midi_write_record_begin
midi_write_record_end

Includes: DLL, GEX, GML scripts, GM6&GMK example.
Download Mirror (~568k)

For information on the function usage, refer to the scripts of the gm6 version, and the game information. For midi and midi_command() information refer to this useful post by dark_master4. Another Useful Link

*Updates V1.4*
-many bug fixes, and minor changes
-added a simple midi record and write mechanism ("midi_write_record_begin" "midi_write_record_end"); after it starts recording, all midi notes/commands played (other then playing midi files) are recorded, and then written to a midi file (This is much easier and completely automatic). The timing is probably 99% accurate.
-added basic midi input functions, they are are untested, and may need to be rewritten. They will definitely be improved after testing.
-MTrk_size was renamed midi_write_MTrk_size, and has an extra parameter, it is no longer written in gml but compiled.
-add more option for initialization
-add midi in/out device functions to get information
-digmid is now mostly supported in this dll, my other dll is decrepit and useless
-updated volume change functions to take 2 parameters each: digital volume, midi volume.
-add midi_return_cmd which returns the last standard (not meta or sysex) midi command executed
-removed non operational midi_note_edit and added midi_volume_edit

The source code is provided and anyone may use as they wish. If you really want to have an update/fix, I may consider it; just send an email to me. Another thing is that this dll will not be useful for all of the platforms that YoYogames "believes" it will port GM, unless gm thereof supports linking to static libraries (this would still need modifciation).

Edited by npc3232, 14 November 2011 - 09:38 AM.

Midi Notes Dll(V1.4a 08/03/29)
Tablet DLL(V1.0 07/10/11)

(Note: I have not used Game Maker or actively participated in the GMC since early 2008 - PM if needed but I cannot guarantee replies)

#2 Ruby

Ruby

Ruby Software

• 203 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:50 PM

Nice!
No longer active on GMC

#3 Uzaki

Uzaki

GMC Member

• 409 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:29 PM

Nice use of Allegro! Now it's possible to make instruments in games, like in a Zelda clone, you could play the Ocarina :wacko: !

#4 the_doominator

the_doominator

Eight Star

• 925 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:45 PM

it says theres an error defining an external function when I run the included example....

#5 npc3232

npc3232

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:58 PM

Did you extract it properly (Note all programs using external resources need this)? If so then what operating system are you using? If you aren't using 2000, XP or Vista, it might not work.

(Note: I have not used Game Maker or actively participated in the GMC since early 2008 - PM if needed but I cannot guarantee replies)

#6 tdmgames

tdmgames

GMC Member

• 1641 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:19 PM

sweet!
OH Balls!

Domain change: If any of my links do you not, please PM me and I will send you a working link :)

t3mp3st+Me+BMG = t3mp3st's edited avatar with changing colour effect.

#7 valkoinen

valkoinen

GMC Member

• Validating
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:22 PM

This is seriously awesome!! :DD <3<3

#8 the_doominator

the_doominator

Eight Star

• 925 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 04:39 PM

Did you extract it properly (Note all programs using external resources need this)? If so then what operating system are you using? If you aren't using 2000, XP or Vista, it might not work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes I extracted it properly and I use xp...... I'll try it again.

#9 hasser

hasser

GMC Member

• 537 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 04:43 PM

thankyou so much for making this but could you make a better example? i dont know what ht emidi free thing does for example or what all the double things are for.

ty

#10 the_doominator

the_doominator

Eight Star

• 925 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 04:54 PM

no it still doesnt work. I hit save as on the desktop. Extract the folder, open the example and hit play and it says error defining an external function.

#11 npc3232

npc3232

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:57 PM

no it still doesn't work. I hit save as on the desktop. Extract the folder, open the example and hit play and it says error defining an external function.

Make sure you have .net framework 2.0 installed

thankyou so much for making this but could you make a better example? i dont know what ht emidi free thing does for example or what all the double things are for.

Here is a better description, the "double"s are things to do with the data type, ignore this, it is only relevant to c/c++.
midi_dll_init()
//starts the dll; required to begin

midi_init()
//starts the midi; required for the midi functions

midi_note_play(channel,pan,instrument,pitch,volume)
//plays the note according to: channel, pan, instrument, pitch, volume

midi_note_play_timed(channel,pan,instrument,pitch,volume,time)
//plays the note according to: channel, pan, instrument, pitch, volume, timer
//Time is mesured in milliseconds. 
//Warning do not close notes played with this function with "midi_note_stop()", but "midi_stop_all()" is ok. 

midi_note_stop(channel, pitch)
//ends the note (if playing) according to: channel, pitch

midi_stop_all()
//ends all notes and midi files (if they can be played...)

midi_exit()
//stops the midi functions; required before your game's end, and midi_dll_free()

midi_dll_free()
//frees the dll's memory; required before your game's end

//edited

Are there any other functions people would like, digimid maybe?

Edited by npc3232, 29 May 2007 - 08:01 PM.

#12 Marchal_Mig12

Marchal_Mig12

The Rhouan

• GMC Member
  • 1182 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:15 AM

COuld we have more informations... Number in instrument argument is wich instrument for example...?

Well it is awsome

#13 the_doominator

the_doominator

Eight Star

• 925 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:01 AM

oh... I didnt know you had to have .NET. Thats why it wont work.

#14 hasser

hasser

GMC Member

• 537 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:31 AM

ah ok, now i know, and what type of arguments should I put in (number, text) and what are the max and minimum values?

EDIT: what is the channel?

Edited by hasser, 26 May 2007 - 10:33 AM.

#15 npc3232

npc3232

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:30 PM

Here is a better description and a list of the instruments

*Updated, Refer to documentation in example(s)

Edited by npc3232, 31 July 2007 - 03:34 PM.

#16 coolist

coolist

The Coolist

• 913 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:57 PM

holey crap! nice dll :P

#17 hasser

hasser

GMC Member

• 537 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:16 AM

wow thanks, im gonna try and make a game with this!

#18 hasser

hasser

GMC Member

• 537 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:37 AM

ok i tryed to make something, I used midi_dll_ini() then midi_ini(),

i used "midi_note_play(1,127,0,60,255)" in the "anykey" event but nothing played, only a short note at the start, also, i had to put the midi_dll_ini in the create event and the midi_init in the room start, otherwise the game just closed... can you make a really quick example of how to use it?

#19 npc3232

npc3232

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:38 PM

Here is a quick example. When you click, or hold the left mouse button, it calculates the pitch according to the mouse_x.

Download

Here are some pieces of code.
//create event
midi_dll_init();
midi_init();

//any event
midi_note_play(0,128,4,60,128);

//to stop the note add the following
sleep(400); //an example of what could be used to time the note length
midi_note_stop(0,60);

//game end event
midi_exit();
midi_dll_free();

#20 hasser

hasser

GMC Member

• 537 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:36 PM

ok i made a much better example that shows visually, what note you are playing and what pich it is,

Posted Image

oh and heres a screenie:
Posted Image

all I ask is that you make so there can be higher volumes, please!

#21 molloyboy08

molloyboy08

pyr0t3chnic

• 473 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 06:28 PM

is it just me or from the initiation to the closing there is another program running allongside the program. If its what happens do you think you can hide it. otherwise if its not supposed to happen then i have to find out why.
Returning after a break from gamemaker.
Gamemaker experience: 6,7 both paid. 8 soon to be pro
Programming knowledge: (May be missing a few currently)
C, C#, C++, java, HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, ASP.NET, SQL, Visual Basic, Perl, assembly, batch

Temporary sig while I figure out if I have anything worthwhile to put.

#22 hasser

hasser

GMC Member

• 537 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:21 PM

yea i noticed that too, he'll probably fix that,...

#23 npc3232

npc3232

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:42 PM

It is fixed now. Allegro by default created another window. I embedded the dll's window into the GM window to fix it. I changed both the dll and the gm files (changed the "midi_dll_init", and "midi_init" functions)

all I ask is that you make so there can be higher volumes, please!

Just change the ",40+" to a higher number. I suggest rewriting the pitch calculating if you are making an actual game.
//global mouse press event
midi_note_play(0,128,4,40+round(mouse_x/40),128);

Edited by npc3232, 27 May 2007 - 08:46 PM.

#24 molloyboy08

molloyboy08

pyr0t3chnic

• 473 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:04 PM

sweet, nice job
Returning after a break from gamemaker.
Gamemaker experience: 6,7 both paid. 8 soon to be pro
Programming knowledge: (May be missing a few currently)
C, C#, C++, java, HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, ASP.NET, SQL, Visual Basic, Perl, assembly, batch

Temporary sig while I figure out if I have anything worthwhile to put.

#25 hasser

hasser

GMC Member

• 537 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:31 PM

i said volume, not pitch, currently it only goes to 255 i think :huh:

also if you are adding to this make so you can play a note for different legths of time, that would be great!

#26 npc3232

npc3232

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 10:30 PM

Sorry, that was stupid... The volume is a scale 0-255, it is just more accurate than a scale of 0-100. The longer lengths of time is not possible with the method I'm doing it, shorter is possible with the method in the first example (with "midi_note_stop" and a timer), some instruments have longer or infinite lengths compared to others.

I'll add functions later to change the hardware volume, and play midi files if that would be of any use.

#27 hasser

hasser

GMC Member

• 537 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:10 AM

great! ^_^

#28 hasser

hasser

GMC Member

• 537 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:52 AM

actually i cant port my game to the better version of the dll.. the one without the window in the background, I tried merging the game but nothing works, will this have a file that you can import scripts into gamemaker with?

#29 the_doominator

the_doominator

Eight Star

• 925 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 04:08 PM

ok I installed net framework 2 and it still doesnt work. I didnt change the editable either.... it still says there is an error defining an external function.

Edited by the_doominator, 29 May 2007 - 04:09 PM.

#30 dark_master4

dark_master4

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1232 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 04:54 PM

I have a suggestion. Because MIDI is supposed to be fast, there should be a way that when you play a note, you specify the number of miliseconds the note should play. There are 2 reasons for this:
- GM's time innaccuracy
- Can't use "wait()" function in a action fast paced game.

I'd like this because I could create a custom MIDI file with a loop point so I can have an intro and a loop just like SPCs (Super NES).

You should see Yourself's high resolution timer.

Edit:
OH! And a midi_note_stop_all() function! MIDI PANIC!! Would be 197019 times faster than GM going through a 128 notes loop calling your DLL 128 times.

Edit2:
MIDI bend? Allowing users to bend MIDI notes because lots of MIDIs have bends and sound awful if they are not played.

Edited by dark_master4, 29 May 2007 - 04:57 PM.

My YoYoGames Marketplace (Has scripts, shaders and poker chips)

GM:Studio
Desktop Intel i5-4440 3.1ghz, 8gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2gb
Laptop AMD Athlon x64 2.1ghz, 4gb RAM, 256mb shared VRAM

#31 npc3232

npc3232

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:28 PM

I added 2 functions:

midi_note_play_timed()
Same as "midi_note_play()" but with another argument for timing by milliseconds.
midi_stop_all()
It stops all playing notes and also midi files for when I add the capability

actually i cant port my game to the better version of the dll.. the one without the window in the background, I tried merging the game but nothing works, will this have a file that you can import scripts into gamemaker with?

I added a .gml file to both download links, delete the old scripts and import the newer ones.

ok I installed net framework 2 and it still doesnt work. I didnt change the editable either.... it still says there is an error defining an external function.

You tried .net framework, it is extracted properly (See that the dll is in the folder with .gm6/.gmk). What version of game maker are you using 6/7? Try it on a different computer if possible. The most common problems are not extracting and no .net.

Edit2:
MIDI bend? Allowing users to bend MIDI notes because lots of MIDIs have bends and sound awful if they are not played.

I don't think midi blending is possible (at least not with allegro), many times I found that it was the way they were written.

Edited by npc3232, 29 May 2007 - 08:36 PM.

#32 dark_master4

dark_master4

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1232 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:52 PM

Wow that was fast work, I actually see a way of using it now! Impressive work speed! :P

I don't think midi blending is possible

It's "bending" but anyway :GM6: I'm not sure how it's written or computed when you play a song so I can't really help...
With the other 2 functions I can finally start working with it! Thanks to you!

One last thing... Is it possible to accept MIDI input? You know... With a MIDI controller keyboard or something like this? :)

#33 hasser

hasser

GMC Member

• 537 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:24 AM

ok i tried importing the scripts but I still got the error defining external function...
Ill just PM you the source.

Also could you put a version tag on the folders? confusing having mini_notes1, 2 3 (ex)...

I didnt see any new scripts in the new version.... are you sure you uploaded the right one?

EDIT:also I think your pitch is a bit off... I started writing a song on it and later found out that they are 2 bits too high and in an impossible scale... here are the real frequencies.

Edited by hasser, 30 May 2007 - 08:38 AM.

#34 npc3232

npc3232

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:41 AM

I didnt see any new scripts in the new version.... are you sure you uploaded the right one?

The example one didn't have the updated scripts, fixed it.

One last thing... Is it possible to accept MIDI input? You know... With a MIDI controller keyboard or something like this?

This is possible but I couldn't test it because i do not have the correct cables... I'll get back to you.

EDIT:also I think your pitch is a bit off... I started writing a song on it and later found out that they are 2 bits too high and in an impossible scale... here are the real frequencies.

I'll look into this. Maybe the number 60 is not C like normal midi... I'll do some testing.

EDIT: I have done testing, it seems that middle C in this is 60 when middle C really is supposed to be 40. I will correct this error and it should be fine.

EDIT 2: The dll is fixed. I also improved the first example so that it plays a C scale. The pitches are: 40, 42, 44, 45, 47, 49, 51, 52. Hasser, please tell me if the pitch is still inaccurate, and I have sent you your file.

EDIT 3: Here is a GM 7.0 extension. You still have to run "midi_init" and "midi_exit" before anyone has any problems; "midi_init" needs the window handle.

EDIT 4: middle C is 60 in midi and 40 on piano keyboards.

Edited by npc3232, 31 July 2007 - 03:36 PM.

#35 the_doominator

the_doominator

Eight Star

• 925 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:05 PM

I use the program that windows xp comes with to extract ZIP folders, I installed the newest version and like I said I didnt move or change anything. :D

Well I'll try your extension although it shouldnt change anything....

--EDIT--

I tried your extension and it didnt do anything. No error or sound...... I'll keep working with it.

Edited by the_doominator, 30 May 2007 - 09:09 PM.

#36 dark_master4

dark_master4

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1232 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:32 AM

Aaaw... With the last version I get "Error defining external function" :)

#37 hasser

hasser

GMC Member

• 537 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 12:39 PM

the sound is quite low so turn the volume up to hear it.

EDIT : n, he's right there is no sound using the .gex one... O_o

Edited by hasser, 01 June 2007 - 12:43 PM.

#38 cronus616

cronus616

Cronus Games, co.

• 394 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:03 PM

amazing!
i love it :D :)

#39 Dragonos

Dragonos

Multimedia Pro

• 357 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:25 PM

I too get an error and I have .net 3.0.
Thats too that bad looks good and fails to run.

#40 npc3232

npc3232

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 12:14 AM

People are having problems with both the dll and the .gex. To start the process of finding the problems would people try the following things and post their results if they have problems.

1. For the midi extension, try this modified example ("midi_init" is different in the extension, it require "window_handle()" as an argument) Download

2. Try a different dll/extension using allegro and visual c++ 2005. Topic (gm_allegro). Please don't post there as the topic is dead.

3. PM me your system specs if you have problems with gm_allegro, or the midi still doesn't work with my new example.

#41 the_doominator

the_doominator

Eight Star

• 925 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:25 PM

I withdraw my statement.

Edited by the_doominator, 11 June 2007 - 02:49 AM.

#42 Chaos In a Can

Chaos In a Can

GMC Member

• 70 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 11:45 PM

Wait, "sound good enough"?
Nothing sounds incredibly good through Microsoft's midi synth.

#43 the_doominator

the_doominator

Eight Star

• 925 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 12:45 AM

I meant that the DLL doesnt do enough to go to all that trouble tp get it to work.

#44 dark_master4

dark_master4

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1232 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:34 PM

Could you (or someone else) post the new example in a GM6 format?

#45 npc3232

npc3232

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:02 PM

The "new" example is only for gm 7 because it is only for the extension, it won't work with the dll alone. The others are .gm6.

sorry but this just doesnt sound good enough to go to all of that trouble

What functions would you like added?

#46 the_doominator

the_doominator

Eight Star

• 925 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:29 PM

well none but this is a lot of trouble to get something like this to work. Im sure if it worked properly it would be awesome but alas it does not work for me ::lmao:: Anyway it sounds awesome but it just doesnt work for me. Good job though.

#47 Robot Freak

Robot Freak

GMC Member

• 271 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:08 PM

Make sure you have .net framework 2.0 installed

I've got the 2.0 framework and get errors.

#48 royboyjoytoy2

royboyjoytoy2

GMC Member

• 308 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 01:35 AM

Cool you could make a midi into a script! B)

I might make a midi to script converter...
"The world will soon see the most successful game ever."

#49 hasser

hasser

GMC Member

• 537 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 01:59 PM

Its good, but hard to upgrade. Im still using the first version.

I'll release the game soon, ive done loading from a text file, 3d piano, playing with the keyboard, just need to make the composer.

#50 npc3232

npc3232

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:39 AM

I have fixed the extension and the dll. I'll declare the current version 1.0a.
1. No longer requires .net framework, it was recompiled with mingw/dev-c++
2. Now requires an allegro dll (I did not statically compile it), which is included with the extension and the midi.dll
3. It will work because of a different fix (This fix will make it work for people who had trouble with all versions after the function "midi_stop_all()" was added.) The problem was with "midi_stop_all()" where the dll requested values it didn't need and game maker didn't give them.

If it still doesn't work please pm me.
Re-download all files in the first post.

How to update dll
1. Copy the dlls ("midi.dll" and "alleg42.dll") to the gm6/gm7 project folder
2. Open the project
3. Delete the old scripts in the "midi" folder
4. Import the new scripts from the included ".gml"

otherwise
(Just install the newer extension. For the extension use the different example too.)