Photo

Falcon Squad - Top-down Shooting Done Right!

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#1 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9210 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:19 AM

Greetings everyone, and welcome to Falcon Squad (soon to be subtitled... maybe), a little project I've been working on for about a month now.

Falcon Squad is a top down shooter which, when finished, will hopefully include a pretty fulfilling, story-driven campaign mode, a training area, and statistics tracking via Reflect. Right now though, it's only got multiplayer modes, which I am very happy with so far.

Screenshots
Posted Image Posted Image

Screenshot 3
Screenshot 4
...and two more screenshot links, since I can't post more than 3 images! :lol:

Though it isn't without it's occasional problems, I'd really like to see what everyone thinks of this at this point... so please check it out, play some people online (you'll need a Reflect Account), and let me know!

Features
· Fully working menu / Reflect login system
· Online multiplayer for up to 16 players, with deathmatch team dm, and capture the flag
· Adjustable settings for the host
· 5 large maps to choose from
· 5 weapons, plus grenades
· Engine is almost 100% complete
· Saves / loads player color information
· Dynamic sound system, with lots of great ambiance and sound effects

Fixes / additions in the most recent version (May 20, 2007):
· Added two new maps (Four Corners, Upper Plaza)
· Added tree transparency when your player is underneath them (sorry campers!)
· Added double clicking a server (now connects you to it)
· Added a version checker, so players will know if they need to update
· Changed client-side motion prediction to be more aggressive
· Changed team indicator in player lists to be a colored bar
· Changed errors to log to file
· Changed team scores to be colored white on the scoreboard
· Fixed (hopefully all) errors with object id's not being found
· Fixed a big bug in the chat system involving # characters
· Fixed chat problem allowing players to type more than the limit
· Fixed the blend mode weirdness when firing the railgun directly into a wall
· Fixed the hole in Bottleneck
· Optimized various draw events, including bullets and player objects
· Optimized particle creation
· Reduced EXE file size to 7.15 Mb
· Various other things I cannot remember! :wacko:

Controls
WASD - Movement for player / spectator camera
Left mouse - Fire, spawn, etc.
Right mouse - Throw Grenade
Middle mouse (click) - Melee attack
Middle mouse (wheel) - Change weapon
Enter - Initiate / send chat message
F4 - Toggle windowed / full screen
Esc - Exit

Game Info
Made with GM7 - NT / XP/ Vista
Runs at 800x600 windowed, start full screen, no resolution change

Download
Click here to download! (9 Mb)

Note - If you want to host a game, you'll have to make sure your router is set up correctly - this may mean that you have to forward TCP port 27782 to your computer! See http://www.portforward.com for more details on how to do this!

Support
Want to support the game and help people find others to play with? Check out this nifty user bar!

Posted Image

You can use the following code to put it in your sig, nice and easy!
[url=http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=297664] [img]http://64digits.com/users/FredFredrickson/fs_userbar.gif[/img] [/url]

Known Bugs / Problems
· Have seen some oddness with CTF flags sometimes
· Some tiles don't fit together 100% perfect
· Lag can sometimes prevent you from hitting your target (even though to you, it looks like you did)

Edited by FredFredrickson, 20 May 2007 - 09:43 PM.

#2 jedi_man

jedi_man

GMC Member

• 398 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:31 AM

...I'm not even gonna comment on the hypocriticalness of that...

#3 Panithadrum

Panithadrum

GMC Member

• 91 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:35 AM

Wanna download now!!!

#4 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9210 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:36 AM

Alright, done fixing the post... I accidentally hit Submit instead of Preview halfway through. That's what I get for checking my post before actually submitting it, eh? :wacko:

#5 Panithadrum

Panithadrum

GMC Member

• 91 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:45 AM

that was...awesome..!! nice menu, sound effects, and nice graphics.. the gameplay was smooth...
you take care in little details :wacko: 10/10

now i wanna play with anyone ^^

(awesome water :lol:)

(maybe needs some tweening between the player animations. if you press and release the mouse button, the player gets ugly)

Edited by Panithadrum, 13 May 2007 - 01:49 AM.

#6 Ds

Ds

DrumStick

• 138 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:49 AM

Wow man , amzing game.

Needs some tunes though.

#7 JaketheSnake3636

JaketheSnake3636

GMC Member

• 1905 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:56 AM

That was amazing. The graphics and fast action gameplay were stunning. It seems we stumbled upon a small networking glitch but you'll be able to fix that easily. After a while it came up with this error

Step event for obj_mplay_controller
in Script multi_steptask
Line 119
tact=tobs.actor_id

That might be a little off, but I'm positive that I got the line and script number correct.

Ok, I got one more error. I didn't copy it down because I know exactly why it's happening. Pretty much, someone in the game wasn't able to send their name to me. When they left the game, it tried to tell me they left the game but their was no name assigned to it, causing the game to glitch.

Edited by JaketheSnake3636, 13 May 2007 - 02:03 AM.

#8 Jext

Jext

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1002 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:56 AM

Hmm, in spectator mode, this suddenly popped up:

for object obj_mplay_controller:

In script multi_steptask:
Error in code at line 119:
   tact = tobj.actor_id;

at position 14: Unknown variable actor_id

#9 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9210 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:10 AM

Alrighty, aparently after testing it about 40-50 times, I somehow missed a large bug that messes up the entire game when a player joins during the multiplay... so get your friends in your game, set the player limit to the number of people in the game, and have at it for now!

I'll be working on fixing this... :wacko:

#10 hotshotscott

hotshotscott

GMC Member

• 3483 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:14 AM

Well mate, every game that i've played that you've made, i've loved with a passion, and have still kept in my game maker games folder. Most games i delete after a week, yours have stayed! I havn't downloaded this yet, but i can't wait because if it's as good as your other games, im sure it will be great! I wish it was 3D fps though, but still i can't wait! I'll edit when done, or if there's more replies under this one, i'll just reply again :wacko:

Scotty

#11 the9thdude

the9thdude

GMC Member

• 61 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:31 AM

I haven't even finished downloading and am beginning to giddy with excitement.

#12 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9210 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:11 AM

Hehe, thanks... I think I fixed the error as well, so hopefully we can get another game going! If anyone wants to re-download the file and try again, I would appreciate it!

#13 NinjaBril

NinjaBril

Many games, little time

• GMC Member
  • 2336 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:16 AM

wow, i thought this would come out later but i guess not.

yeah fred, your doing it again, your genuis is showing >=D

#14 felpman

felpman

FelpManFilms

• GMC Member
  • 962 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:42 AM

Fred, you've done it again!
since AHOVI, you have blown us away with your presentation.

beautiful game, with AMAZING graphics and gameplay.

9.5/10

~FelpMan

#15 Conman

Conman

GMC Member

• 36 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:51 AM

I really like it, but it's impossible for me to play. I get about 1-5 fps on average, so when I play against everyone I go really slow. Also I get an error after I die or when I am a spectator and sometimes I cannot just ignore it:

ERROR in
action number 1
of  Step Event

Error in code at line 119:
  tact = tobj.actor_id;

at position 14: Unknown variable actor_id

I really would like to play it, it looks fun!

#16 Tahnok

Tahnok

Friendly Madman

• GMC Member
  • 1827 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 04:30 AM

I got the same problem Conman did, but the update seems to have fixed it.

I've only glanced at it, but it looks like another fantastic game. The polish sets a new standard for GM games. I'm sure it will be a ton of fun once I can get into an online game.

Edit: NM, the bug is still there. I just hadn't gotten it yet because I hadn't tried to join an online match with this version. Exact same error as Conman. It shows up when I try to join an online match. The game briefly shows the menu and then flashes to the actual game before throwing the error.

Edited by tahnok100, 13 May 2007 - 04:34 AM.

#17 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9210 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:09 AM

I'll try to hammer out these errors, but the major show-stopping bug was fixed... these errors you guys are getting can be ignored, and the game will continue (I think). Thanks for the reports though, I'll work on making sure they don't happen in the first place! :wacko:

Edit: I'll also be working on getting in some "accessibility" options, since it seems I've created something that people have a hard time running full speed (AGAIN, hehe).

Edited by FredFredrickson, 13 May 2007 - 05:27 AM.

#18 Leif-Ericson

Leif-Ericson

GMC Member

• Validating
  • 450 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:31 AM

Is this what Gunner McJack P.A.K was meant to be like?

#19 T-Bird

T-Bird

GMC Member

• 1326 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:36 AM

When oh When will you do HT3d2? *crys*.

Yet another solid game though, but I dont like wargames, especially with gore and especially if they are people fighting rather than robots,aliens,etc. I'll probably mostly be sitting this one out. (although I already played a little bit...)

#20 Bright_Eyes_Rocks

Bright_Eyes_Rocks

GMC Member

• 181 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:51 AM

I got an error as well and it took me 1:30mins to download, and im kinda mad error is with the loading part

for object obj_load:

Error defining an external function.

#21 Leif-Ericson

Leif-Ericson

GMC Member

• Validating
  • 450 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:20 AM

I was kicking Kindred's Ass, but it errored out on me.

#22 hotshotscott

hotshotscott

GMC Member

• 3483 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:22 AM

Worked fine on my computer (after i had to get another password sent to my e-mail address because i couldn't remember it lol). I didn't try hosting a game, but there was a game on there so i clicked join and then it worked great! I clicked, was created and then i just had the most fun ever! I liked the throwing grenades! They Rock! I would love it if you made an online FSP! I think you would actually finish it, or get it close to finished, unlike most of the other FPS projects that get made around here. But yes i love this game, i only played for a minute, and i loved it. I will definetly keep it, and go back and play it! Man you are a genius!!! Keep up the AWESOME WORK!!

scotty

#23 Kindred

Kindred

Pixel Artist

• GMC Member
  • 1199 posts
  • Version:GM5

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:41 AM

The graphics are amazing (albeit a little bit laggy occasionally), as well as the use of sound. I usually use my ears in games more than my eyes and not too many games from around here incorporate this.

The game play seems rather lacking though. The most interesting fight I had was when bballer was hiding behind two walls, and when I tried knocking people out with my gun. Most of the fighting is running around in circles, zig-zags, running/chasing. Not having to reload is quite a drawback ironically, I really hope you add that in.

I still had quite a lot of fun playing, I'll be looking forward to updates.

Oh and one last thing, I saw someone's automatic firing two bullets at once. Which shredded me to pieces. Is there weapon upgrades or was it a bug?

#24 agj32mrgibbits

agj32mrgibbits

GMC Member

• 139 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:48 AM

You have way too much health, it would be more competitive if you had less health.

#25 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9210 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:06 AM

I got an error as well and it took me 1:30mins to download, and im kinda mad error is with the loading part

for object obj_load:

Error defining an external function.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Extract everything from the zip file, and then try running that.

The graphics are amazing (albeit a little bit laggy occasionally), as well as the use of sound. I usually use my ears in games more than my eyes and not too many games from around here incorporate this.

I put a lot of effort into the audio experience of this game, so I am glad you are using it to your advantage (and overall, enjoying it).

The game play seems rather lacking though. The most interesting fight I had was when bballer was hiding behind two walls, and when I tried knocking people out with my gun. Most of the fighting is running around in circles, zig-zags, running/chasing. Not having to reload is quite a drawback ironically, I really hope you add that in.

I still had quite a lot of fun playing, I'll be looking forward to updates.

The more people are palying the more fun it seemed to be for me, since I enjoyed the chaos of one firefight turning into three or four, using multiple weapons, and then having to retreat at the end, to avoid dying.

I considered adding reload, but to be honest, I enjoyed the pureness of just being able to switch weapons and fire at will. I'll admit, halfway through many of the longer fights, I kept thinking to myself, man I gotta reload! Just a bad habit from other games, I guess, hehe.

Oh and one last thing, I saw someone's automatic firing two bullets at once. Which shredded me to pieces. Is there weapon upgrades or was it a bug?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seems to be a lag issue, where some people's connections fire off a couple packets at a time (as opposed to the normal, constant flow that is should be), and you wind up getting bursts of bullets.

You have way too much health, it would be more competitive if you had less health.

If you're lagging while playing, it might seem like the other players have a LOT of health, because for you, you're hitting them, but for them, you're not. Try leading your targets more. :D

#26 Tahnok

Tahnok

Friendly Madman

• GMC Member
  • 1827 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:17 AM

Finally got into an online match without it immediately throwing an error. Though, I still get a strange generic GM message saying something along the lines of "nothing has been sent". Also, last match, I got the following out of nowhere:

ERROR in
action number 1
of  Step Event

Error in code at line 308:
               if (tobj.type == 1){

at position 23: Unknown variable type

I only got it once though.

#27 Armageddon

Armageddon

Earth, Wind & Fire

• 64 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:24 AM

Another great game in progress...

1. Could the opening logos be put into the next beta (the ones from AHOVI)? They look great.

2. Final release date?

#28 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9210 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:26 AM

The show_message() you see is just a stupid thing I left in there while trying to fix the first "big problem." The unknown object errors you are getting *should* be able to be skipped, though.

It might comfort you to know that I know what the problem behind those errors is, and have already fixed the GMK... I will upload a new version of the game when I have a few more problems fixed, though.

I greatly appreciate the bug reports however - despite testing the game so much over the last month, this is easily the most complex multiplayer game I have ever put together, and there will be errors at this point, so any help I can get from the community is fabulous.

Another great game in progress...

1. Could the opening logos be put into the next beta (the ones from AHOVI)? They look great.

2. Final release date?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I like to keep opening logos out of my games when they are under development, since I have to skip through the title screen to get to the game to test it, and the fewer buttons I have to press to get there, the better.

Not sure when the final release will be... hopefully sometime this year, huh? :D

Edited by FredFredrickson, 13 May 2007 - 07:28 AM.

#29 Leif-Ericson

Leif-Ericson

GMC Member

• Validating
  • 450 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:33 AM

Fred, your server gives me a grey screen of death.

#30 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9210 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:43 AM

Sorry, I was trying to tell you while you were in, I was testing a new map, and if you tried to connect to it, you'd probably have... problems, hehe, since this map wasn't included int he build you're using. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users