How To Make Mod Music...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Uzaki

Uzaki

GMC Member

• 409 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:56 PM

Hello, I would like to compose MODs (or at least know how) but I don't how to, neither do I know which program(s) I should use. Please help me.

#2 Uzaki

Uzaki

GMC Member

• 409 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:33 PM

Hello? 7 day bump.

#3 mattpk

mattpk

GMC Member

• 821 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:36 PM

argh... Another person who doesn't read pinned topics before posting...

TOOLS
CutterMusic
Fruityloops
Anvil Studio
GoldWave
Myriad
Noteworthy Software
EJay
Audacity
Blaze Audio
JAZZ++
Quartz Audio Master
Reason
XCC: C&C Extraction Tool
Game Audio Player
Finale
Nerd Tracker II
Sound Club - DOS Version
Sound Club - Windows Version
vanBasco's Karaoke Player
Polymike
Orangator
ConcreteFX

the above are copied and pasted from a pinned topic in the Sound&Music section. Google one and you'll have answers. Some edit music, some create music.

Most of the above come with manuals and tutorials, but here is the only one on the list:

TUTORIALS
Making MIDI Music (Using Anvil Studio)
link: http://www.geocities...dies/index.html

to go to topic,

http://gmc.yoyogames...showtopic=22863

Edited by mattpk, 03 May 2007 - 06:38 PM.

#4 IceWind91

IceWind91

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:49 PM

He was asking how to create MOD music, not MIDI. As far as I know, none of those programs can write or edit MOD music (although, there are many that I've never heard of, so I may be wrong).

I've heard of two called ProTracker and FastTracker, although I have no idea how they work.

#5 mattpk

mattpk

GMC Member

• 821 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:52 PM

He was asking how to create MOD music, not MIDI. As far as I know, none of those programs can write or edit MOD music (although, there are many that I've never heard of, so I may be wrong).

I've heard of two called ProTracker and FastTracker, although I have no idea how they work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damn, i severly embarresed myself.
Well i don't know of alot of the music tool i posted up there, so maybe one may be able to make MODs.

#6 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:18 PM

Mod Plug Tracker or Madtracker are usually good PC choices for mod making. Theres nothing to it really. Bunch of strips usually 64 steps long, and you put the notes in with the selected instrument (you'll usually have to obtain samples yourselves, the sites those programs are on should have links to good sample sites). Learning the different codes takes some time but allow you to do plenty of effects in real time. Like most music programs writing an actual good tune is the hardest bit.

#7 Uzaki

Uzaki

GMC Member

• 409 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:13 PM

Thanks guys! When there was 0 replies, I first thought that it was impossible to make MODs...oh and mattpk, it's alright :D .

#8 IceWind91

IceWind91

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:25 AM

Also, another interesting program is FamiTracker, which allows you to compose NSF music, the format used by the NES. It doesn't create MODs, but MODs and NSFs (and various other formats) are composed about the same way. The program's surprisingly easy to use.

#9 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:14 AM

Also, another interesting program is FamiTracker, which allows you to compose NSF music, the format used by the NES. It doesn't create MODs, but MODs and NSFs (and various other formats) are composed about the same way. The program's surprisingly easy to use.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Got a friend of mine here using that program to make the soundtrack for a sorta NES style game I'm doing (on right of my sig pic). Using Shaltif's S-Winamp you can play NSF format tunes inside a GM game using a Winamp plugin and it works darn nicely.

#10 Uzaki

Uzaki

GMC Member

• 409 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 12:40 PM

Awesome...Is it possible to make snes music style with it?

EDIT: Then again it probably can't because it has Fami in its name, and Fami is part of the old nes' name Famicon...

Edited by Uzaki, 05 May 2007 - 12:43 PM.

#11 IceWind91

IceWind91

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 05:02 PM

It doesn't do SNES music, but I'm sure there's another program out there that can. The file format for SNES music is SPC, and I think someone on the VGmusic forums posted an original SPC one time.

I'm sure a few Google searches will find something. Remember, the file format is SPC, and the type of program is called a tracker.

#12 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 11:31 PM

'SNES style' music isn't that different to regular tracker mods in that it generally uses samples rather than the more electronic chiptune sound of the NES.

#13 Uzaki

Uzaki

GMC Member

• 409 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:36 PM

'SNES style' music isn't that different to regular tracker mods in that it generally uses samples rather than the more electronic chiptune sound of the NES.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're probably right...Anyways I'm making .nsf music now. Thanks a lot people!

Note: I find that making .nsfs are a lot more easier than making .mods because with .nsfs you don't need samples.
EDIT: Also because I'm making a metroid game that is based after the retro one's in the series. (look at sig)

Edited by Uzaki, 06 May 2007 - 03:40 PM.

#14 Nucleus

Nucleus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:23 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SNES music is tracker music. made using in-house trackers.

Edited by Nucleus, 23 October 2007 - 05:57 PM.

#15 Nucleus

Nucleus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:27 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're probably right...Anyways I'm making .nsf music now. Thanks a lot people!

Note: I find that making .nsfs are a lot more easier than making .mods because with .nsfs you don't need samples.
EDIT: Also because I'm making a metroid game that is based after the retro one's in the series. (look at sig)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://famitracker.shoodot.net/ thats what you want if going for NSF tunes.

#16 Elijah Lucian

Elijah Lucian

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:02 PM

MADTRACKER.ORG