24 replies to this topic

#1 darthlupi

darthlupi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:02 AM

Welcome to the world of Battle Battle.
This is a game that has been forming in the back of my mind for some time, and I just never got around to making a working demo. Well, here is a working demo of my little brain child in action.

The Basic Idea:

You control the action of the game using the mouse to select and command 1-6 soldiers.

Each soldier uses either a melee attack, an arrow attack, or a wand attack (straight line). They also have the to option to use 1 of 4 skills that they may find scattered through out the game.

You select the soldiers by left clicking on them or dragging selection box over them by holding the left mouse down. Alternately, you can press the 1-6 keys to select the different soldier.

Right clicking will direct your soldiers to either move, attack or heal.
Holding the control key down with a ranged weapon will allow you to fire your weapon toward the mouse point on the screen.

You can pause the game at any time by pressing the space bar, and from there you can decide your soldiers next actions.

There are three menus that you can select from:
Skill - this is where you select you special abilities (soldiers only get to take 4 into combat at a time)
Level - This is where you assign EXP gained in combat. Click the little plus sign to start leveling up
Stats - displays the soldier's stats

------Screen Shot-----

Posted Image

-----Download----

Link to download

Presently this is only a temporary soldier creation screen and randomized level that loops to play through until all of you soldiers are dead.

Edited by darthlupi, 20 April 2007 - 03:07 AM.

#2 Coffee

Coffee

Light and Sweet

• GMC Member
  • 2351 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:09 AM

Looks very fun, downloading now.

Edit: Hehe pretty nice so far, awesome graphics and style, nice powers and cards and stuff, the only bug I saw so far was the swordmen would never go up to the enemies and attack, just stop with everyone else, and therefore always die. 9/10

Edited by Coffee, 20 April 2007 - 03:14 AM.

vmh.png Come Play Hungry Hungry Frogs!

#3 darthlupi

darthlupi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:34 PM

Thanks Coffee. I appreciate the comments.

Where you targeting an enemy when the Sword Soldier's stopped? By targeting I mean selecting the Sword Soldiers and then right clicking the enemy?

This is perfect feedback, though. I need to know how intuative the movement/combat system is.

#4 Coffee

Coffee

Light and Sweet

• GMC Member
  • 2351 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:01 PM

Thanks Coffee.  I appreciate the comments.

Where you targeting an enemy when the Sword Soldier's stopped?  By targeting I mean selecting the Sword Soldiers and then right clicking the enemy?

This is perfect feedback, though.  I need to know how intuative the movement/combat system is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, like lets say I have archers and swordsmen selected, and I right-click an enemy, the swordsmen will stop where the archers stop.

#5 dimitri

dimitri

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:16 PM

It was ok, didnt like it that much. I understand its a demo, but its a bit shallow in comparison to your other games, and linear. I mean, theres no where else the player can tell the units to go other than across the screen can they? unless they can fly/burrow underground, which would be pretty cool =) i didnt get how to use the units' skills either, do you click them and then click somewhere else for them to attack or something? I also got the same problem as coffee, the units dont really like to attack the enemy units. I dont know if its me, but it seems a bit too much like a skill-less MMORPG.

#6 Excalibur333

Excalibur333

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 462 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:34 PM

Very cool. I like the idea. There just aren't very many goals yet. I also wish you could get potions to heal guys and save, maybe after every level. Awesome graphics, good music.
Excalibur
8.0/10

OsRsy9m.png pqe3LGj.png

#7 darthlupi

darthlupi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:14 PM

Ah, distressing.
The toughest part of making a game is realising if it is fun or not.

I'm sorry it felt like a soulless MMORPG. What do you think coule spice it up some more? I do plan to have the option to select where you go in your adventures in between a few battles. The battles themsevles are supposed to be what is nonlinear.

Also, if you haven't noticed all of the terrains are proceedurely generated. I don't have many variants in right now, but what is there should give you an idea of what is to come.

Excalibur333

Thank you for your comments. Instead of potions and typical methods, I will be basing all armor, spells, and extra feats off of the SKILLS cards. Anyone class can use them, but it is up to you to decide how to benefit from them the most. Only 4 per character!

Edited by darthlupi, 20 April 2007 - 08:48 PM.

#8 Absolute Zer0

Absolute Zer0

GMC Member

• 339 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:35 PM

A darthlupi game? Yeah! I'll download for sure!
<---- Big fan of Raging Skies

That... Was... So... Cool...

9.8/10

#9 darthlupi

darthlupi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:48 PM

Absolute Zer0

So happy to hear someone else enjoyed the experience. It will hopefully become even cooler soon! Let me know if you can think of anything else you would like added.

#10 Excalibur333

Excalibur333

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 462 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:57 AM

I think it is fun I just felt like I was forced through the game. I like games where you can go through at your own pace... Like Mage craft, you can sit and raise on the easier levels... With the cleaner you have to move on and can't sit back and train.. Both very awesome games but I like Mage craft a little bit more just for that one reason...

Hope it helps.

Excalibur.

OsRsy9m.png pqe3LGj.png

#11 Absolute Zer0

Absolute Zer0

GMC Member

• 339 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:21 AM

Absolute Zer0

So happy to hear someone else enjoyed the experience.  It will hopefully become even cooler soon!  Let me know if you can think of anything else you would like added.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

More weapons would be nice, and make missions, online multiplayer would be cool too. :)

#12 Excalibur333

Excalibur333

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 462 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:36 AM

I ran into a glitch... I killed all the bad guys in one room then I tried to go to the next room and it dind't work... thought you might like to know.

edit: Oh yeah I had an idea you might like: you could give units on hills or (higher than the unit they are fighting) an advantage.

Excalibur

Edited by Excalibur333, 21 April 2007 - 01:38 AM.

OsRsy9m.png pqe3LGj.png

#13 darthlupi

darthlupi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:43 AM

Excalibur333 -

The game pacing is a bit weak now. There will be bosses and set missions that you will have to accomplish in order to move on. There will also be a story to drive the gameplay forward a bit. I understand you concern, and the comparisons between prior games that I have made has shed some light on what I can do.

One thing I want to add is lot more enemies on screen, and a bit more of a sense of urgency to the missions and power to the players.

Absolute Zer0 -

Presently I have 13 different spells programed and 6 different upgrade cards made that will be available throughout the game. I plan to make a few more spells and a some will be Ultimate Cards, which will be HUGE spells.

Mission selection come at the end of each "campaign". Once you finish a series of battle battles, you will be forced to select your next destination. There will be many forks in the road before you reach victory.

Hopefully you will be more than pleased with the variety of selections, landscapes (all proceedurely generated), and challenges.

I plan to add obsticals that your troup will have to time in order to win as well.

Thanks for your suggestions and bugs both of you! I will continue to polish this joker. Thanks for the interest.

#14 MBPikamon

MBPikamon

GMC Member

• 97 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:51 AM

Pretty good. Think you should make them more custimaxable, and the stats/colors more well, easier to raise exactly. Also, it is pretty good. however, i suggest making a bigger differance... all that changes is the attack and what stats affect what. It also took me awhile to figure out how to cast spells. So here are some suggestions:

Simple Story-Atleast, maybe they are raiding the area or something and you 6 are the only ones who know enough to do anything about it?

More Differance-It took me awhile to figure out which stat part was for which character.

More Choices-I want some actuall diferance between the 'classes' then a differant range and differant stats affect differant things.

Slower Increases/Decreases in stuff-PLEASE! I AM BEGGING YOU! Seriously, maybe just type in or something. And for stats, make a place where you can type in how much you want to increase.

And that is all for now.

Edit: Oh yeah, i think the enemies set up for a steep learning sloop, i lost 2 people in my first play, and that was in the first level....

Edited by MBPikamon, 21 April 2007 - 01:53 AM.

#15 darthlupi

darthlupi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:02 AM

Hey MBPikamon,

I've been having a seriously difficult time trying to come up with a mechanism for leveling SLOWER. If you mean that too many points get injected into a stat. I think typing it in is a bit too manual considering that the game is designed to be played with nothing but the mouse.

Maybe just make it so if you click on the stat it ups it to the next level if you have the points? I suppose a warning could pop up that you have to check before it allows you to level? Would that be adequate?

Enemies will surely be less stat heavy. I did this with the intention of forcing the player to make more strategic decision when playing the demo. I wanted people to see that the outcome could be better if played differently. Personally, I like to send a sword soldier in and have him retreat until he is in front of a line of archers blasting away! Or, cover a soldier in healing mortars and let him slash away!

There will be a whimsical story to go along with the action. Bosses, and villages to attack. This was just my little WIP demo. I usually release a few in different stages to get an idea of user acceptance.

Welp, thanks for your time bud.

#16 TomatoeWorm

TomatoeWorm

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 03:42 AM

I had a stroke when I saw darthlupi is creating yet another game.

I really like the fact that you made the only controls using the mouse, it makes the gameplay much easier than having to press multiple buttons at a time.

The only thing I advise is a variety of enemies, although I know you havn't added that only because its a demo. And maybe a couple curse type attacks, such as things that temporarily affect enemies.

Great Job so far!

Edited by TomatoeWorm, 25 April 2007 - 12:27 AM.

#17 Excalibur333

Excalibur333

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 462 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:56 PM

The game pacing is a bit weak now. There will be bosses and set missions that you will have to accomplish in order to move on. There will also be a story to drive the gameplay forward a bit. I understand you concern, and the comparisons between prior games that I have made has shed some light on what I can do.

One thing I want to add is lot more enemies on screen, and a bit more of a sense of urgency to the missions and power to the players.

Sounds like a good Idea. I didn't mean to compare a WIP with finished games I was just trying to tell you what I liked about those games to help with this one. Bosses will be awesome in this game. I haven't ever heard of a sidscrolling RTS game and I think that bosses would be really fun in it. Are you going to have different Creatures or just do all humans. It would be cool if you could have different creatures in your party and creatures that were enemies. I don't know what you have in mind for the stroyline though so I don't know if this will fit in.

Excalibur

Edited by Excalibur333, 21 April 2007 - 08:57 PM.

OsRsy9m.png pqe3LGj.png

#18 TomatoeWorm

TomatoeWorm

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:37 PM

I am still wondering how you made the arrows accurate as they are. I am guessing you used one of two methods, either using trigonometry, or calculating the distance using the maximum length the arrow can go, and from there making an equation.

Would you mind sharing with me how you did that? I dont mind if you dont feel like telling your secrets, but I am very curious on your method.

#19 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:14 AM

I really like this game! It has an original idea, simple-yet-effective gameplay, and excellent atmosphere.

I particularly like the music, it is some of the craziest music I've ever heard in a GM game!

Your graphics are effective; they kind of remind one of old DOS games.

I have a few suggestions:

- Make the enemy AI smarter. It seems like they just wait to be hit, and then they don't help each other out.

-Rather then a stats bar at the top of the screen, you should allow a keyboard key pause the game, and take you to a somewhat larger stats bar. The font was annoyingly small, and it kind of detracts from the main gameplay. Perhaps only the skills should be on this bar at the top of the screen, and you can adjust your stats with this keyboard button. I don't know; it's just another idea.

Keep it up! I thoroughly enjoyed this, and look forward to future demos.

~ thetagames

#20 fuchuzz

fuchuzz

GMC Member

• 83 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:42 AM

i havent tried the game out for one reason, ive been cursed by vista
think you could uplopad a copy created in gm7???
looks good though.

edit-
nvm iplayed it on my other computer
it was good in all, but way to complicated.
usually your games a very simple and esay to play and get into, but this one seemed to have to many options while on the battle feild.
the character custimazation was really cool. idint at all like the way you did stats though, they seem like meaning less numbers. also the battle animations werent to my liking but thats probably me being critical. the text was way to small for me to read. and the icons were way to small. ithink youshould make it full screen or use views in some sort of way to make every thing look a bit bigger.
idont have any comments on the sounds because i forgot to turn on my speakers while playing, but im shure there fine.

in the character custmizing menu there was a tree on the right side that is floating in the middle of nowhere, i would reccomend moving it unless it has some significant value to the game that i dont seem to grasp.

the classes were fine, more would be beter or maybe a create your own class.

really good start though, istill think the custimazation is coolest part.

Edited by fuchuzz, 15 May 2007 - 03:03 AM.

#21 Coffee

Coffee

Light and Sweet

• GMC Member
  • 2351 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:30 AM

I am still wondering how you made the arrows accurate as they are.  I am guessing you used one of two methods, either using trigonometry, or calculating the distance using the maximum length the arrow can go, and from there making an equation.

Would you mind sharing with me how you did that?  I dont mind if you dont feel like telling your secrets, but I am very curious on your method.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Look up "trajectory" :(

#22 Andy0_0black

Andy0_0black

GMC Member

• 31 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:49 PM

nice game. one thing i would suggest for the stat increasing would be to have a pop-up menu-ish thing which had a sliding tab, where you drag an icon along a line to tell the game how many points to spend, because i agree the point increasing is both too slow and to inaccurate.

as always, amazing graphics and style (but a little on the small side)

Fuchuzz: your resolution is way too high

#23 Lcldlstheway

Lcldlstheway

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 266 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:39 AM

i felt like "huh?" when i first started the game, because there was no banner or anything in the character customizer screen. Anyway good gameplay. For some reason, my soldier's hp bar was way over the end after healing.

I was a little confused by the skills.

Is there a way to regain ep?

Also:
Posted Image
This happened when I tried to walk out of the screen, as in going to the next room.
Another time, i got stuck in a room because the arrow was too far down. O_o

As more rooms are passed, make enemies get like perhaps 1 hp or something. Otherwise, WAY TOO EASY! Just make a whole bunch of archers and snipe them!

Edited by Lcldlstheway, 17 May 2007 - 01:03 AM.

#24 fuchuzz

fuchuzz

GMC Member

• 83 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:06 PM

my reselution isnt to high the game should be able to go into full screen so people with overly huge monitors can play it with out having to go up close to the screen and starring at the tiny font.

#25 erthgy

erthgy

GMC Member

• 1718 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:27 PM

Thanks Coffee.  I appreciate the comments.

Where you targeting an enemy when the Sword Soldier's stopped?  By targeting I mean selecting the Sword Soldiers and then right clicking the enemy?

This is perfect feedback, though.  I need to know how intuative the movement/combat system is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

pretty good i liked it:

so and so/10

jk

10/10 , i didn't get the bug but you could try putting in an early boss or sometihng...
"I'M BAAAACK WHATCHA GONNA DO NOW?"