25 replies to this topic

#1 hotshotscott

hotshotscott

GMC Member

• 3483 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:00 AM

STEWIE GRIFFIN - ATTACK OF THE BROCCOLI

Basic Run Down:
Hello all and welcome to one of my latest games. I havn't made a platformer in a while so i thought i would just for a change. I am obsessed with Family guy a great lot and so i decided to make a game about Stewie Griffin (my favourtie character). In an episode of Family guy called 'I never met the dead man', Lois (Stewie's mother) tries to feed Stewie Broccoli, which is Stewie's most evil enemy in the world (after lois). After getting sick of having to eat the awesome stuff, Stewie finds himself building a weather controlling machine which could change the temperature to destroy all broccoli. In 'Stewie Griffin - Attack of the Broccoli' you are to find all the pieces of the weather machine, build the machine and then destroy the evil Broccoli.

Details:
File - .ZIP File with .exe inside
File Size - 1.4 Mb
Made With - Gm6
Downloads - 39

Screenshots:

Posted Image
Main Menu

Posted Image
Pause menu

Host-a.net
Stewie Griffin - Attack of the Broccoli at Host-a.net

Direct Download
Stewie Griffin - Attack of the Broccoli Direct Download

So far there's just the tutorial (which isn't finished yet) and the first level (which was only made to test things..)
So please try them out, and DEFINETLY reply! I need to know if there's any spelling mistakes, any errors or problems, and bugs or just things that are real enoying!

Known Bugs
* Grappling device is a bit glitchy and doesn't always work. This will be fixed in the next version!

* If you press resume from the pause menu and you are hanging from your grappling hook, it acts as normal and shoots another grapel canceling out your other one which normally leads to you falling and dieing. This also happens with the plasma gun, except it shoots.

* When you charge the plasma gun then let go, if you shoot a quick bullet before the first one hits the enemy, the first one only does the same amount of damage as the 2nd (which is normally lower)

* Stewie doesn't have a mouth in some of his animations

Things fixed for next update:
* Stewie has a mouth always
* Weapons hud moves faster
* Skip tutorial if you want
* Grapple hook fixed (not done yet, but hopefully will be soon)
* More levels, better tutorial

Thanks Guys! - Scotty

Edited by hotshotscott, 25 April 2007 - 08:41 AM.

#2 msnacks

msnacks

GMC Member

• 158 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:22 AM

i like it so far. the grappling hook is a bit glitchy and does not always connect to the platforms but nothing serious. i thought the graphics were fine, but the movment should be worked on. You should be able to swing when on the grappling hooks, but just my opinon.

msnacks

#3 hotshotscott

hotshotscott

GMC Member

• 3483 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:25 AM

Yer the grapeling bit needs some work..I PM'd that guy who made the game 'Grapnel' and asked if he could help me but he wouldn't lol so yer that's what i need to fix..Thankyou for your comment! What would you rate it out of 10?

scotty

#4 BleachFan

BleachFan

Not the clothing kind!

• 854 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:47 AM

This was a very fun game. I'm a big fan of Family Guy and Stewie is my favorite character :blink: . One thing though, in the tutorial, you focus way too much on the grappling hook. you should spread it out, maybe add some Lois-bots or something like that, lol. 8/10, extra points for originality :D

#5 hotshotscott

hotshotscott

GMC Member

• 3483 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:05 AM

WoW thankyou and yer im trying to make it very original! Yes that is so true the grapeling bit in the tutorial is kinda repetative..BUT that's why it's a WIP, i can go back and change stuff and make it better! Thanks for the reply, and don't worry i have some idea's for bots and enemies and everything. Thankyou!

scotty

#6 hotshotscott

hotshotscott

GMC Member

• 3483 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:31 AM

Another screenshot added, come on guys, i've put a lot of effort into this. Not really the programming, but the sprites i had to put together, and even edit some. Noone has helped me at all with this game, and i just would like to know how im going..So yer there is a 2nd Screenshot added!

scotty

#7 hotshotscott

hotshotscott

GMC Member

• 3483 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:23 AM

BUMP! I do not get it! I get some replies, which are great! But then no one replies...If you don't reply because you don't like it, at least reply and tell me why you don't like it and also how i could improve it! I can tell you now, more then 2 people (that's all that replied) have downloaded this and havn't replied! Either download and reply! or dont download PLEASE!! This will be my last bump (until another 3 days)! Come on guys, do you like it or not?

scotty

#8 sid673

sid673

GMC Member

• 536 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:35 AM

Remember bump once every three days. It was all right i suppose. The grappling hook wasn't very good.

#9 Dinsdale

Dinsdale

GMC Member

• 1389 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:56 PM

Same happens to me. Im gonna have to bump my topic tommorrow. :) :D thought Family guy was way more popular than games like naruto because family guy is funny as f***. Anyway I'll play, I hate seeing someone in the same situation as me. Not many people look on page2/3 I only o to find my topic.

Edit:

It was very smooth. Yhe only problems were, couldnt here any sound and sometimes that grapple gun didnt work correctly. Nice Ideas a lot better than my game, heh.

Keep going with it its good so far. The graphics will need updating and maybe when stewie has a weapon out you could give him his mouth back?. Anyway I'll watch this project.

Further Edit:
If you havent noticed in my topic half of my replies are my own. ;)

Edited by Dinsdale, 21 April 2007 - 03:38 AM.

#10 hotshotscott

hotshotscott

GMC Member

• 3483 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:13 PM

Oh i never even noticed that he doesn't have a mouth when he has his gun out lol Um you didn't hear any sounds? That's weird...No im only joking there arn'y any sounds at all yet lol And the grappel hook is the main one that i need to do! Thankyou for playing my game im very glad. Keep those replies coming :)

scotty

Edited by hotshotscott, 25 April 2007 - 07:54 AM.

#11 Dinsdale

Dinsdale

GMC Member

• 1389 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:54 PM

Check out this game. I can't believe its had next to no replies and its on page 3 after a day.

Edited by Dinsdale, 21 April 2007 - 11:54 PM.

#12 hotshotscott

hotshotscott

GMC Member

• 3483 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:36 AM

*Bump*
Sorry guys, but i need to know if i should continue or not..

Edited by hotshotscott, 25 April 2007 - 07:52 AM.

#13 AC-426

AC-426

GMC Member

• 400 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:40 PM

Oh i never even noticed that he doesn't have a mouth when he has his gun out lol Um you didn't hear any sounds? That's weird...No im only joking there arn'y any sounds at all yet lol And the grappel hook is the main one that i need to do! Thankyou for playing my game im glad there are some nice people on the forums. I always have to search through page after page until i get to this game (on page 3-4 most times) and i don't know how bad games stay on page one...Weird! Come on guys, the only replies i've had are good ones! Don't you want to check out the game?? Please do!

scotty

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OMG i am sad  :P  and pissed  ^_^ !
This game was released a while ago, and since then it has been on the 3rd and 2nd page like all the time!!! I've had only few replies, all that said they've liked it! Well if they like it, don't you want to download it to see if you'll like it? COME ON! I've seen worse games then this stay on page one for ages! And i can hardly get any replies with this..Thankyou Dinsdale for your support! Please guys, have a go, and please reply. Over 20 people have downloaded, but not replied so come on!

scotty

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hate to sound rude, but you really need to stop whining, Scott.
You have no right to be pissed at people. They don't owe you anything. Ask nicely and if they still don't respond, too bad. There's not much you can do about it.

And who are you to say that the games on the first page are worse than yours?
People are so obsessed with the first page! It's disgusting.
Impress a couple of people and they'll pass it on to others, forget the first page.

I'll edit this post after I've downloaded your game, that is if you're still interested in my opinion after what I just wrote.

EDIT:

Ok, here's what I got so far:

* The weapon HUD moves too slowly. Why not just leave it on screen?

* I know you've only finished the Tutorial so far, but here's a reminder when you do finish more levels:
Don't force people to play the Tutorial, in case it's an experienced player who just wants to start over, etc.

* Stewie's animation sequence leading up to the Level Selection Menu takes too long.

[Bugs]

* When you start on a new level, you can move offscreen (left) and either get stuck (if you move far enough) or be sent back to the Main Menu. Put a wall there or something?

* If you hold down the button and charge your Plasma Gun all the way you'll waste all that energy. It doesn't fire. Maybe you did that on purpose?

* I know you're aware of the glitches when using the Grapple Hook, but you haven't mentioned exactly what's wrong with it.

I experienced 2 problems with the Grapple Hook:

1) It will sometimes shoot right through the platform (even when the rings are present), as msnacks mentioned.

2) When hanging from the Grapple Hook and touching a wall you can't move up or down.

Don't give up on this project, Scott. Everybody loves Stewie!
I like the animations so far.
Btw, you also asked if there were any typos.
Here's one: "Grapel" should be "Grapple".

Keep up the good work.

Edited by AC-426, 22 April 2007 - 06:08 PM.

#14 Phlum MKII

Phlum MKII

Captain Slow is on patrol!

• GMC Member
  • 921 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:05 PM

Hmm....this game sounds good.
But it's fullscreen. My PC is stubborn, and doesn't like full screeners.

#15 AKH

AKH

AKH GAMEZ Owner

• GMC Member
  • 661 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 05:47 PM

This is going well, but the Grappling Hook is very glitchy. So far, I rate this 6/10.

#16 msnacks

msnacks

GMC Member

• 158 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:08 AM

i agree with AKH 6/10 sounds good, the grappling hook doesnt always hook the target, make it have a bigger mask or watever

#17 hotshotscott

hotshotscott

GMC Member

• 3483 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:51 AM

WOW i thought this topic was done because no1 liked it but im glad it's not, because that means i should continue and make the game better!!

AC-426 - Im sorry i agree totally i sounded like the biggest sook, all i was doing was winging. I have no reason to do so and im sorry. I will edit those posts because it wasn't right.

I did have the weapon hud stay on the screen originally but after i while i got very enoyed with it being in the road. And i couldn't see anything up the top left of the screen. It was just in the road basically. BUT i agree with you, it should either stay there or at least speed up so i will make it faster ok!

Also a great idea to skip the tutorial! People don't want to have to do it if they're just starting again! Thankyou!

* Stewie's animation sequence leading up to the Level Selection Menu takes too long.

Oh really? I thought it was rather..nice...If anyone else doesn't like it i shall change it, but i really don't want to.

I will fix that bug of being able to walk off the screen, i should've known to do that.

And yes i know the grapple hook needs a lot of attention!! I will mainly work on it!

With the plasma gun, when you hold down the left mouse button it charges right? Well it also gets hot. The heat bar is the bar at the left of the weapons inventory, and when it gets too hot it stops working because it's too hot. so basically you can't let it get too hot!

Don't give up on this project, Scott. Everybody loves Stewie!
I like the animations so far.
Btw, you also asked if there were any typos.
Here's one: "Grapel" should be "Grapple".

Keep up the good work.

Thankyou very much for your comments! I am pleased that you brought this topic back to life. It must of been on what..the 5th page?? THANKYOU!!

Phlum -

Hmm....this game sounds good.
But it's fullscreen. My PC is stubborn, and doesn't like full screeners.

It doesn't have to be in fullscreen! When you're playing, press esc and the pause menu will come up. Then just click 'fullscreen' and it will go into windowed mode! Easy!

AKH - Thankyou im glad you like it! Like i've said, i will definetly be working on that grappleing hook!

msnacks - Thanks,

i will definetly be working on that grappleing hook!

Guys thankyou very much for replying, im sorry for winging before in my posts before, i shall edit them! That's to you guys, i am not going to stop working on this! I was almost about to just give up, i actually had started on another game lol But i will continue with this one, and also do the other one because it is a multiplayer game and it's my first one! I thankyou very much guys!

scotty

#18 AC-426

AC-426

GMC Member

• 400 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 02:01 AM

Hey Scotty

I did have the weapon hud stay on the screen originally but after i while i got very enoyed with it being in the road. And i couldn't see anything up the top left of the screen. It was just in the road basically. BUT i agree with you, it should either stay there or at least speed up so i will make it faster ok!

You could also place the HUD at the bottom of the screen.
Unless there will be stuff to shoot down there too?

Here's an example:
Posted Image

Oh really? I thought it was rather..nice...If anyone else doesn't like it i shall change it, but i really don't want to.

No no, it IS nice. But when you've already seen it 10 times (while testing your game for example), it starts to feel as if it's taking forever ::lmao::
You don't have to change it if you don't want to. Just maybe make it so that you can skip it? At least until the game is almost done.

I found 2 new bugs. Don't worry, they're not so severe.
They're kind of fun actually :D

First Bug: Sliding

1) Stand at a distance from a platform.
2) Use the Grapple Gun and shoot diagonally at the platform.
3) Press and hold the Jump key.
4) Press Mouse Button 2 to release the hook.
If you're still holding the Jump key when Stewie hits the ground, he will slide.
He will keep going until you press Left, Right or Jump.

Second Bug: Sleepy Stewie

You can make Stewie fall asleep while standing up ;)
There are 2 ways to do it:

1) Take out a gun then press Space until he is no longer holding any guns.

or

2) Jump and let go of the keys. Don't move Left or Right when Stewie hits the ground.

Now, combine those 2 bugs and you get a sliding, sleepy Stewie lol. Pretty cool.

I hope this helps.
I'm looking forward to seeing more of your game.

#19 hotshotscott

hotshotscott

GMC Member

• 3483 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 02:57 AM

Thanks those bugs aren't too bad and can easily be fixed. I will make it so you can skip the stewie animation thingy, and also I LOVE YOUR HUD! Do you think you could PM me because i would like maybe some help with it, just the sprites because you made it look great!

Thankyou so much, i appreciate it very much!

scotty

#20 AC-426

AC-426

GMC Member

• 400 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:47 PM

Sorry Scotty, I'm no good when it comes to the graphics style used in Family Guy.

I make this kind of graphics:
Posted Image

If you still want the sprite I can give you a clean version.

#21 Dizzy_Pinoy

Dizzy_Pinoy

2D smoke

• GMC Member
  • 121 posts
  • Version:GM5

Posted 29 April 2007 - 02:33 PM

It's pretty good for a start, the Stewie sprites themselves are very good. You should try to make the arms fit the body sprite a lot better, his arm looks a bit dis-jointed when holding the gun and pointing behind him. However I can see the other graphics aren't as good, the backgrounds are all from the resource packs. And differentiate the grappling hook from the plasma gun a bit more, the fact it has an arrow on it doesn't really make it that different to a plasma gun.

The grappling hook itself is pretty poor, make it a bit more realistic, have Stewie actually swinging, not just dead straight in the air. The plasma gun itself is pretty good, the effects are really nice.

There are quite a lot of collision issues though, although the main Stewie object is fine, the arms seem to collide a lot more with the ground. For example, when walking down a slope, the Stewie is fine, but his arm is shaking quite a lot. Also, if the player falls Stewie's large head catches onto the side of the platform, allowing the player to hang there. Doesn't really look good.

So my main suggestions are: sort out the collision issues, improve the grapple hook and improve the overall graphics. Get some sounds in as well.

Overall: 6/10

#22 hotshotscott

hotshotscott

GMC Member

• 3483 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:54 AM

It's pretty good for a start, the Stewie sprites themselves are very good. You should try to make the arms fit the body sprite a lot better, his arm looks a bit dis-jointed when holding the gun and pointing behind him. However I can see the other graphics aren't as good, the backgrounds are all from the resource packs. And differentiate the grappling hook from the plasma gun a bit more, the fact it has an arrow on it doesn't really make it that different to a plasma gun.

Sure I will definately try get some original backgrounds, and redo the plasma and grapple gun. I will also try and fix the fact that Stewies arm comes off when walking.

The grappling hook itself is pretty poor, make it a bit more realistic, have Stewie actually swinging, not just dead straight in the air. The plasma gun itself is pretty good, the effects are really nice.

Yes the grapple gun is not good at the moment. And thanks, the plasma gun does look nice..

There are quite a lot of collision issues though, although the main Stewie object is fine, the arms seem to collide a lot more with the ground. For example, when walking down a slope, the Stewie is fine, but his arm is shaking quite a lot. Also, if the player falls Stewie's large head catches onto the side of the platform, allowing the player to hang there. Doesn't really look good.

Stewies arm only comes off all the time because it's x and y positions are only in the step event, in the next update, his arms will be drawn on, still facing the mouse. I will fix the head issue, all i have to do is make the mask as wide as his body. It should still look alright. Thanks though!!!

So my main suggestions are: sort out the collision issues, improve the grapple hook and improve the overall graphics. Get some sounds in as well.

And my response is I Sure will do these things. I arn't working on this game at the moment..Sadly, when i thought no1 was replying, i started on a multiplayer game and am now obsessed with makeing it good. I will though eventually do all these things and release it again! The graphics will be original (except the characters, and some objects out of the show). And yep there'll be sounds!! I don't know about the grapple hook, but im sure i'll get it :GM046:

Thankyou very much, i like the way you wrote that comment!! Thanks!

scotty
Overall: 6/10

#23 Dinsdale

Dinsdale

GMC Member

• 1389 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:57 AM

Glad to see this is getting more attention scott.

#24 hotshotscott

hotshotscott

GMC Member

• 3483 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:00 AM

yes thankyou i am too. Unfortuantly, as i just mentioned..i havn't been working on this game for a while :GM046: which is very enoying, because i've started creating an online and networked multiplayer game..and it's going well, and im afraid this game will have to wait a while. BUt i promise this will be finished! Thanks dinsdale, you were the one who got the people posting, thankyou soo much for that and your support!

scotty

P.S Are you good at programming? or graphics? Or even level design?

#25 Tater Tot

Tater Tot

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:36 PM

It was ok... i almost quit because there was no sound... and the grapple hook was a bit gay... not to bad...

#26 hotshotscott

hotshotscott

GMC Member

• 3483 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:40 AM

thanks, sorry bout the no sound...im sure it'll be in the next version..and yer AGAIN i know the grapple hook needs a lot of help. If anyone wanted to help me with that, please feel free to PM me. You will definetly be in the credits!

scotty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users