• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Kairos

Kairos

Abstract Artist

• 175 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 05:22 PM

Posted Image

Kairuga is my first released game. A mini-game, as well. Last summer I threw it in the GMG; seeing that it is dead at the moment and that GM7 has come out, I've decided to release the final version here with Vista compatibility.

The game is a tribute to Ikaruga, a legendary shmup. It mimics the polarity and chaining system, while the gameplay is slightly altered. The game only has 1 level because of lack of interest to make a full fledged 5 level tribute to the original; however,
I think it's fine the way it is, and I have other projects to work on. If you have played Ikaruga before, then you won't be too alienated from the concept. If you haven't, I suggest you read the README_FIRST file included in the download.
The controls were originally the japanese standard ZXC but due to problems for foreign keyboards the default was changed to ASD and custom controls are in place.

Name: Kairuga
Features: 1 level, 85 max chains, small ship hitbox
Category: Shmup, mini-game
Size: 8.04 mb (zipped)
Version: 1.4 Final
Resolution: 640X480
Changes Resolution: no
Mulitplayer: no
System Requirements (general requirements; better specs for performance)

* Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Vista
* DirectX 8 or later
* DirectX 8 compatible graphics card with at least 32MB of video memory, or
integrated card with at least 64 MB of shared memory
* at least 2.0 Ghz Processor Speed
* 512 MB+ of memory reccomended (have not tested on lower ones)

Download Links:

64 Digits Main Download Site

Other Mirrors:
Download Here.
Mirror 2: DivShare
Mirror 3: Mega Upload

Screenshots:

Title Screen.

Posted Image

In-game Shot.

Posted Image

A video of the boss is available here: Kairuga Videos
Someone else had also made a video showing Kairuga in hard mode. You could check that out as well. Both are on that page. My video is Kairuga in normal mode running on a 64 MB shared memory integrated card. As you could see, performance was pretty bad.

Quick controls:

Menu: Enter = select, Navigate with arrow keys

Game:
A = Shoot
S = Change Polarity
D = Homing Lasers (if at least 1/12 of charge bar is filled)

I still reccomend reading the README_FIRST.

Enjoy the game as much as I did making it. Remember, the README_FIRST file is your best friend in case you do not understand how to do certain things.
Please comment on how I did with a first-release game. I think that the graphics was the best part, second are the chains and... yeah, the chains were horrible to code.

Screenshot your scores/ chains!
Please don't cheat your way to getting a max score with the speed customs :huh:
Obviously higher difficulty = higher score.

EDIT:

See if you can top my lowly score:

Kairuga Run - Hard, 85 Chains.

User High Scores:

1. Nova: 2952080
2. rbelmont000: 760620

Edited by Kairos, 20 April 2007 - 12:22 AM.

#2 RPGillespie

RPGillespie

GMC Member

• 58 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 05:39 PM

Wow. Simply, wow.

I in fact own Ikaruga for gamecube, and have beaten it on easy and normal.

This, my friend, is a very well made game that not only retains the same difficulty factor in Ikaruga that we have all grown to know and love, but also retains the same fluid visuals that made Ikaruga one of the best vertical shooters ever created. The collision detection is forgiving (as in the original), the music is, well, the same, and the graphics are superb.

This is one of the best Gamemaker games I've seen in a while, and I've lurked around the forums for about a year now.

Suggestions for further development:
#1: Add co-op mode (You could always program P2 to use the numpad)
#2: Add sideways screen support (like in the original). I have a pivoting monitor, so this feature would be especially cool. All it would take is view_angle changing and some resizing I suppose
#3: Tune the suicide-shots difficult. (Easy mode releases suicide shots of both polarities which may be hard for newbies)

Graphics: 9/10
Special Effects (particles and whatnot): 10/10
Music: 8/10
Gameplay: 10/10

Overall: 9.5/10

--RPGillespie

Edited by RPGillespie, 14 April 2007 - 05:48 PM.

#3 Kairos

Kairos

Abstract Artist

• 175 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 05:47 PM

Thanks for comment. However, this is a mini-game only and I may not put thought on 2 player co-op. Perhaps for another game, or unless in the future if I ever want to expand upon Kairuga (I don't know about the chance.) As for now, enjoy it, it actually has been out for a long time and I never really remembered to post it here. Final version. At least for now until I ever decide to do something similar.

Edited by Kairos, 14 April 2007 - 05:49 PM.

#4 mirator

mirator

GMC Member

• 9 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 05:54 PM

server don't goes.(sorry i can't speak english)
change hosting please

#5 Kairos

Kairos

Abstract Artist

• 175 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:10 PM

Added a second mirror, server should be ok by now.

#6 Nova

Nova

GMC Member

• 405 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:22 PM

This is a bit weird... Earlier today I played some Ikaruga for the first time in months, and then I came here to the GMC to look for my old Ikaruga project (I can't find it though). Then I found this.

The game is very well done and it's pretty similar to the original, except for a few changes. I would love to see more stages even though it probably won't happen.

Good luck with your other projects.
Game Maker user since 2000 - Nova HTML Converter v3 released.

#7 Kairos

Kairos

Abstract Artist

• 175 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:31 PM

This is a bit weird... Earlier today I played some Ikaruga for the first time in months, and then I came here to the GMC to look for my old Ikaruga project (I can't find it though). Then I found this.

What a coincidence ;P
Thanks for the comment, and it probably won't happen, mainly because of lack of time to create such a huge project. The boss for the first stage was already killer; I can't possibly imagine making 4 more, which all are rather complex as well.
(Lol @ 3rd, 4th and 5th boss)

Edited by Kairos, 14 April 2007 - 06:32 PM.

#8 fuse

fuse

GMC Member

• 254 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:39 PM

I found this game on a website (the demo of course) around the time I bought Ikaruga. Nice to see the final version is finished.

#9 Nova

Nova

GMC Member

• 405 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:52 PM

I finally beat the stage without dying (on hard, with suicide bullets on), but my score wasn't very good though... Not enough chains :huh:

By the way, I didn't realize how well you copied the game until now, the enemy waves are almost identical to the original, and you did an awesome job on the boss as well.

#10 goodman84

goodman84

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:02 PM

Interesting

#11 Kairos

Kairos

Abstract Artist

• 175 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:32 PM

I finally beat the stage without dying (on hard, with suicide bullets on), but my score wasn't very good though... Not enough chains tongue.gif

By the way, I didn't realize how well you copied the game until now, the enemy waves are almost identical to the original, and you did an awesome job on the boss as well.

Yea, the boss was real killer, I'm not of fan of coding separate pieces of a boss. Takes forever. The chain system was pretty confusing too (to me.)
Screenshot your highest score if you wish ;P

Bullet eating also gives a good boost to score.

Edited by Kairos, 14 April 2007 - 07:35 PM.

#12 rbelmont000

rbelmont000

GMC Member

• 113 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:05 PM

Wow, that game was incredible. I love Ikaruga, so this is staying on my computer. I couldn't find anything wrong with the game at all. Oh and my score was 760620.

#13 Kairos

Kairos

Abstract Artist

• 175 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:21 PM

Added videos for viewing pleasure and for geeks who want a video of game play before downloading anything.

EDIT: Also added a video of a Kairuga run on Hard mode, beat the score please, it's crappy :huh:

Edited by Kairos, 15 April 2007 - 09:35 PM.

#14 Nova

Nova

GMC Member

• 405 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:28 PM

Well, here's my best score so far: <IMAGE>
(2952080 on hard mode)

Edited by Nova, 17 April 2007 - 05:29 PM.

#15 Kairos

Kairos

Abstract Artist

• 175 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:36 PM

Nice job! Highest I've seen so far from players.

Btw, some computers below the system specs requirement still work with it;
Although I'm too lazy to change it, and it won't be too much of a big deal.

I'd like it if more people commented instead of just viewing and downloading too, you can never have enough feedback.

#16 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:26 PM

Heya this is an awesome game.
Couldn't find anything to criticize -except maybe the lack of levels.

The music comes out a bit distorted after restarting the game numerous times (I think we had that before eh?), the only way to fix this is to close and start the game again.
I still suspect that you initialize sxms multiple times.
Do you by chance use game_restart() to restart the game?
If so know the initialisation-scripts are also being called at each restart.
If not... well then my computer doesn't seem to like sxms :P

Anyway nice job!
I suspect you don't plan on adding any more levels or content to it?

Edited by 9_6, 28 April 2007 - 11:27 PM.

#17 JugemDWK

JugemDWK

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:54 AM

Hi, remember me? :unsure: I think when I played this earlier, I commented on adding controller support. Did you add that at all?

#18 fuse

fuse

GMC Member

• 254 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 02:26 PM

I reviewed your game on the YoYoGames website. I'm a big fan of Ikaruga! I guess the review may have been kind of bias. But anyway. Are you one of those really good Ikaruga players who can get like infinite chains and beat all the levels on Hard? If so you should upload some videos on youtube of it.

Oh and my highest score on Hard so far is 1706960. I have an image but ImageShack is working for me right now. I did bad on the boss because I only had one life left and I didn't want to get game over so I took him the easy way. I also did kinda bad because I wasn't used to the controls. Peace!

Edited by fuse, 29 April 2007 - 02:46 PM.

#19 JugemDWK

JugemDWK

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:15 AM

I reviewed your game on the YoYoGames website. I'm a big fan of Ikaruga! I guess the review may have been kind of bias. But anyway. Are you one of those really good Ikaruga players who can get like infinite chains and beat all the levels on Hard? If so you should upload some videos on youtube of it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've achieved 30 million in Ikaruga. I have videos of that run, but there are some better ones out there. You should check out ikaruga.co.uk (if it's still up that is!).

About my earlier comment for controller support... I downloaded it and tried it again, and I would settle for being able to use spacebar to shoot. But currently, that key pauses it. Can that be changed?

#20 fuse

fuse

GMC Member

• 254 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:56 PM

Yeah I have been there actually and seen some of those players. And damn 30 million is a good score I can barely pass medium.

#21 Kairos

Kairos

Abstract Artist

• 175 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:00 PM

I just didn't have enough time to add any controller support, sorry Jugem. I'm finished with the game currently. I don't know if I'll add any more levels in the future, and add other support, but who knows. As of now I'm extremely busy with school with barely any time to go back to my projects.

#22 JugemDWK

JugemDWK

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:44 PM

No chance of adding the ability to use Space as the fire button? That wouldn't be too difficult to do, would it? :GM130: Well, I understand if you're too busy to do anything more with it though (or if you just can't stand working on it anymore!).

#23 Yani

Yani

GMC Member

• 48 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:50 PM

Found the game on mbnet.fi ( finnish computer magazine) as the game of the day.
Great work :)

#24 Kapser

Kapser

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1645 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:03 PM

I'm a big fan of Ikaruga and this represent very much the original. Incredible game there, and it doesn't even lag. Extremely professionally made.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice job!

#25 EliteBeatAgent

EliteBeatAgent

GMC Member

• 115 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:33 AM

Excellent game. 10/10 for the effects alone :lol: Game play is brilliant without suicide bullets (I'm an Ikaruga n00b)

#26 stump_corey

stump_corey

GMC Member

• 303 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:34 PM

this is an awesome remake ikaruga is awesome and this mirrors it well

#27 Linkert

Linkert

GMC Member

• 76 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:00 PM

for object obj_ship:

Error reading real.

I went to settings then after i fixed controls i pressed start and i got that error witch i just pressed ignore on, and i worked. Smooth game!

#28 David Dark

David Dark

GMC Member

• 154 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:45 PM

MMMoooOOOoOOAAAAaaAaaaRRRRRrrRRRrrrrRr !!!!!!!!!! <_< ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao:: ::lmao::

#29 esposch

esposch

Tapir Lover

• 178 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:40 AM

Posted Image
This game was so great that it made me want to get Ikaruga itself! But i don't own an X360, and the gamecube version is impossible to find, so i risked my computer by getting an emulator, ISO and a torrent. And i'm scared of those things destroying my comp. Great job at converting me. I might try Varia Soon.

10/10.

#30 Mysteria9

Mysteria9

Lord of Fishes

• GMC Member
  • 524 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:24 AM

This is by far the best game I have ever seen on this forum. Excellent work! I love everything - the design, the sound effects, the graphics, the music, 100% awesome game!
I got a score on 1205740, not awesome but fun as hell! :P
10/10 from me, best regards from Sweden!

edit: Found this when looking for an ikaruga port to pc:
http://indygamer.blo...uga-clones.html

Edited by Mysteria9, 01 August 2008 - 12:24 AM.

#31 RyuReshin12

RyuReshin12

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 04:21 AM

:lol: hah hah... VERY NICE.. Cool Graphics.. extraordinary Sound FX..

Hai.. The day is nice!

#32 ninjutsu63

ninjutsu63

GMC Member

• 1128 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:26 PM

Wow, I am a big fan of Ikaruga on the gamecube. This is just amazing. 9.75/10.
The Entropy Movement

Agent-Third Person Shooter -"Wow! That was the best 3d TPS I've ever played on GM!"