Photo

Robot Attack 4000 - Test 1.0 (ultra Retro)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:23 AM

Genre/Category: 2D Puzzle-Shooter.
Download Size: 1.1 MB
Game File-Type: Exe
Resolution: No change
Written In: GM6.1 Registered
Posted Image
You will need to aim accurately and conserve ammo to survive.

I need gametesters to make sure the game isn't too hard,
and that the ranking system works properly and gives scores from A to E.

Since this is a test version, there's no sound yet, and you can save and load the game with F5 and F6.
All suggestions are welcomed.

Download

Edited by JTR, 02 May 2007 - 08:45 AM.

"One man's constant is another man's variable." - Alan Perlis
The Black Tome

#2 JPGMer

JPGMer

GMC Member

• 551 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:35 AM

very retro, pretty neat, the game was a bit hard, you were slower than some robots, and by the time the get close you have no ammo and you get caught.

change the name to something that wont repel viewers

#3 flyslasher

flyslasher

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1064 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:58 AM

I like how its set up but i cant get past lvl 1....Why do i only have 1 shot?Am i suppose to reload??When ever i ge the key,the rest of robots attack me...
Posted Image

#4 Fortimus

Fortimus

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:34 PM

Sorry sent to the wrong topic

Edited by Fortimus, 13 April 2007 - 07:46 PM.

#5 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:07 PM

JPGMer
The guy is a little bit faster than the robots. They can't keep up if you run for a while. You're supposed to aim well enough to get more than one of them with only one shot.
I'm rather satisfied with the name. It sounds like an arcade-machine.

flyslasher
There are no reloads, but theres some extra-shells lying around in some levels.
In the first level, you can use the "bowl" shaped fence in the center to trap the final robot after you first manage to shoot the other two.

Fortimus
PM sent. (Wrong topic.)

Marchal_Mig12
I know what you mean. The ammo amount is usually "just enough." It is a puzzle, after all. But where should the path system be used?

Edited by JTR, 13 April 2007 - 05:23 PM.

The Black Tome

#6 Marchal_Mig12

Marchal_Mig12

The Rhouan

• GMC Member
  • 1182 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:15 PM

Well that was neat but I don't really like the concept of the number of ammo each level, it is not really addictive... Nothing really impressive, Oh and you should use a path system!

Well I give it a 6/10

#7 Coffee

Coffee

Light and Sweet

• GMC Member
  • 2351 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:16 PM

I died at I think the fourth level where you get 2 mines, got 100 points. Kind of boring cause everything is so slow, but pretty good i guess. 5/10

vmh.png Come Play Hungry Hungry Frogs!

#8 Marchal_Mig12

Marchal_Mig12

The Rhouan

• GMC Member
  • 1182 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:25 PM

Marchal_Mig12
I know what you mean. The ammo amount is usually "just enough." It is a puzzle, after all. But where should the path system be used?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The enemies should follow a path...

#9 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:56 PM

Some enemies already use a path system, but I don't know why the other ones should too, because the basic following system does what it was supposed to.

The Black Tome

#10 lizards

lizards

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:43 PM

what are semitransparent robots?
the ones who’re injured?

#11 lizards

lizards

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:57 PM

regarding the game itself, I like it (though I can’t pass the third lev)
hope you’ll make some neat retro sounds+music that’ll make it even neater ( :

#12 D4RK M4R10

D4RK M4R10

GMC Member

• 353 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:59 PM

I like how there are no screenshots for this game.

d/l'ed anyways, too hard for me xD.

Edited by D4RK M4R10, 27 April 2007 - 11:12 PM.

#13 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:44 AM

lizards Yep. Transparent ones have lost some hp. Nice to hear that you like it. Sounds will be added later. In the third level, try to circle around them to form a tighter group, then just blast away.

The Black Tome

#14 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:44 AM

Please leave a comment if you tried the game and liked/didn't like something in it.

The Black Tome

#15 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:05 PM

Nice interlacing effects but the controls were a pain.
Why can't I walk sideways and why are some directions dominant? (e.g. when pressing right and up you walk up)
I think the controls killed me more often than the enemies.

I'm also not sure if mouse aiming fits to this rather arcade-ish style.
Especially since this is more about evading than shooting.

#16 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:16 PM

9_6
I wanted to make the movement diagonal, but I didn't know any nice and simple ways to match the diagonal speed with the general directions speed.
(Character moving NW would move faster than just N, if I use the "x-=3 y-=3")

And I believe the UP and DOWN were dominant by default. (Im using directions. Like 90=Up)

I can make the shooting work with three keys. For example:
J: Turn aim left
K: Shoot
L: Turn aim right
(I think this way would be better than Arrow Keys or Numpad.)

Nice interlacing effects but the controls were a pain.
Why can't I walk sideways and why are some directions dominant? (e.g. when pressing right and up you walk up)
I think the controls killed me more often than the enemies.

I'm also not sure if mouse aiming fits to this rather arcade-ish style.
Especially since this is more about evading than shooting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Black Tome

#17 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:44 PM

Nice graphics. This game looks really hot (a lot more so than Death Worm imo). However the game is way too hard and the fact that you need to fire a shot that moves very slowly, and has to hit more than two or three enemies doesn't feel like a solid concept.

Then, we also have the fact that the controls are pretty impaired. I don't mind eight or four directional movement, but it somehow seems unfair that the enemies can move in 360 degrees, and that they are as fast as you are. This could easily be fixed by not checking the direction they should be moving each step, and dividing and rounding their direction to an appropriate angle.

However, even if you fixed this bit I'd much rather see this having a less arcade-ish approach. I'm a big fan of storylines (both deep and shallow, but especially odd ones), and retro/action/adventure is one of my most favourite genre combos. The missing elements could be blended into this game without too much work if you linked the rooms together and added some smaller puzzles (keys and locked doors seem to already exist, but NPCs and more creative puzzles would be great). And I think many would agree that this could raise the game from the 5-6/10 ratings that people are giving you to at least an 8-9/10.

Either way, I really like the graphics and would love to see more stylized games such as this from you in the future. Good job! :D

#18 Zccc

Zccc

GMC Member

• 392 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:39 PM

This game is good. I made it to the boss, but then I failed...

#19 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 407 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:04 PM

cactus Thanks for the feedback. I'm testing a new version with some changes:

... However the game is way too hard and the fact that you need to fire a shot that moves very slowly, and has to hit more than two or three enemies doesn't feel like a solid concept.

I raised the amount of ammo the guy has at the start of each stage. It was equal to robots/3. Now it's (robots/2)+1. Much easier. The shots now move faster, too.

Then, we also have the fact that the controls are pretty impaired. I don't mind eight or four directional movement, but it somehow seems unfair that the enemies can move in 360 degrees, and that they are as fast as you are. This could easily be fixed by not checking the direction they should be moving each step, and dividing and rounding their direction to an appropriate angle.

The enemies are now 4-directional. Makes them seem more robotic. (As in very clumsy. So I'm still adjusting that...)

However, even if you fixed this bit I'd much rather see this having a less arcade-ish approach. I'm a big fan of storylines ... The missing elements could be blended into this game without too much work if you linked the rooms together and added some smaller puzzles (keys and locked doors seem to already exist, but NPCs and more creative puzzles would be great).

I thought about that, but storylines probably aren't my strongest point as a gamemaker. I'll try to think something up, anyway.

Either way, I really like the graphics and would love to see more stylized games such as this from you in the future. Good job!  :)

Thanks!

The Black Tome