58 replies to this topic

#1 d41

d41

GMC Member

• 526 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:41 AM

GM Lighting Effects

:GM065: Information :GM045:
GM Lighting Effects is an extension that lets you use complicated lighting effects easily with simple functions. You can make lighting effects of any size, rotation, width, height, color and brightness. It includes a help file and an example gmk file to show you how to use it.

:mellow: Screenshot :lol:
Posted Image

:skull: Download Links :skull:

Download GM Lighting Effects 3.0
Download size: 300KB

:skull: License information :skull:
Free to use, also for commercial games, but give credit.

Please post comments, suggestions, bugs, and anything else about this extension. Thanks for looking!

Edited by d41, 29 August 2007 - 05:42 PM.

#2 ActionDragon

ActionDragon

GMC Member

• 31 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:01 PM

Very good extension. I think I'm going to use this in my game as it saves me a lot of work. I already tested this in my game and it works great. I'll give you credit. :blink:

Few things I noticed about the placement of light sources, here's an example:

I want to have a light height 128 and width 128 in the coordinates x and y.
le_add_light(x, y, 128, 128, 0)
But after testing it didn't center to the x and y coordinates. I think it's centered like this:
le_add_light(x - 64, y - 64, 128, 128, 0)
So you need to minus half the width and height values from x and y. The help didn't tell this.

Another thing. Could it be possible for the lights to have different colors? Currently I'm doing different colors by drawing transparent circles to the light positions.

#3 d41

d41

GMC Member

• 526 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 12:35 AM

Very good extension. I think I'm going to use this in my game as it saves me a lot of work. I already tested this in my game and it works great. I'll give you credit. :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:skull:

Few things I noticed about the placement of light sources, here's an example:

I want to have a light height 128 and width 128 in the coordinates x and y.
le_add_light(x, y, 128, 128, 0)
But after testing it didn't center to the x and y coordinates. I think it's centered like this:
le_add_light(x - 64, y - 64, 128, 128, 0)
So you need to minus half the width and height values from x and y. The help didn't tell this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, x and y is the top left corner. It wasn't meant to be centered. I may change it to x1,y1,x2,y2 instead though. Or maybe make the sprite centered.

Another thing. Could it be possible for the lights to have different colors? Currently I'm doing different colors by drawing transparent circles to the light positions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, I tried making colored lights on this extension, but couldn't really get it to work... I'll try again, drawing transparent circles could work.

#4 gmdud

gmdud

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 650 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:07 AM

Does this use surfaces to draw the light? because it is a bit laggy.

Edited by gmdud, 07 April 2007 - 07:07 AM.

Check out my guitar videos on youtube!
Guitar Videos
As i lay dying is sick!

Sector X - Online zombie action!

#5 NewDuck

NewDuck

GMC Member

• 54 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:21 AM

Works good & smooth here, pretty good job, it makes lightning easy.

Edited by NewDuck, 07 April 2007 - 10:21 AM.

#6 d41

d41

GMC Member

• 526 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:09 PM

Does this use surfaces to draw the light? because it is a bit laggy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it does. Please post your computer specs. (RAM, Proccessor Speed, VideoMemory etc.) so that I can see if I need to make the speed any better.

NewDuck: Thanks!

EDIT: I just noticed a bug that will make it run slow if you have lots of lights, and also a bug with rotation not working correctly. I will fix these and upload a new version soon.

EDIT: New version uploaded. 2.0. Rotation and Speed errors fixed. And now it has colored lights!

Edited by d41, 08 April 2007 - 12:57 AM.

#7 d41

d41

GMC Member

• 526 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 05:09 PM

I uploaded a new version, 2.1. It has colored lights, and you can adjust the brightness of the lights. Hope you like it.

#8 IceWind91

IceWind91

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:31 AM

This is great! It's easy to use, and it has many uses. I'm using this in my game. I'll give credit.

#9 gamemakeriv

gamemakeriv

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 262 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:11 PM

Does it caste shadows like the pheonex light engine.

#10 d41

d41

GMC Member

• 526 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:18 PM

No, not currently. But that's a good idea, I'll look into that.

Edited by d41, 12 April 2007 - 06:18 PM.

#11 gamemakeriv

gamemakeriv

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 262 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:05 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Better do that soon.

#12 d41

d41

GMC Member

• 526 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:07 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Better do that soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tried getting shadows to work, but I couldn't. :lol:
Oh well, does anyone have more ideas to improve this extension? :lol:

#13 IceWind91

IceWind91

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:41 AM

I seem to have run into a little problem with this. Sometimes, upon entering a room that uses lighting effects, you get this error:

for object __newobject70:

Trying to use non-existing surface.

I don't know what causes it. It usually happens when the fourth room you visit has lighting, but not always.

#14 d41

d41

GMC Member

• 526 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:45 AM

I seem to have run into a little problem with this. Sometimes, upon entering a room that uses lighting effects, you get this error:

I don't know what causes it. It usually happens when the fourth room you visit has lighting, but not always.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How much video memory does your video card have?

#15 IceWind91

IceWind91

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:06 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How much video memory does your video card have?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

96 megabytes, I think, but I don't think that would affect it. The game has no trouble drawing the lights, but it just gives that error if the fourth room you go to (or the sixth, occasionally) has lighting. I did remember to destroy the lighting system after the room ends, and sometimes, the error occurs even when that was the first room to use lighting, so I don't think it's due to overloading the memory.

#16 d41

d41

GMC Member

• 526 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:16 AM

Please upload a gmk file with the error in it and I will look at it.

EDIT: You are only calling "le_init();" ONCE, right? You do not need to re-call it if you go to another room (unless you have "le_delete()"ed it first.)

EDIT2: I found a small bug in the le_delete() function. It forgot to delete a small sprite. That bug shouldn't do anything bad, but I recommend downloading 2.2 anyway.

IceWind91: Try 2.2. Does it fix your problem?

Edited by d41, 22 April 2007 - 04:32 AM.

#17 IceWind91

IceWind91

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:44 AM

EDIT: You are only calling "le_init();" ONCE, right? You do not need to re-call it if you go to another room (unless you have "le_delete()"ed it first.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. I call it when the room starts, and delete it when the room ends.

IceWind91: Try 2.2. Does it fix your problem?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. Actually, it might have solved one of the problems, in which the game crashes after several rooms that had lighting, but it still crashes after three rooms of no lighting. I start on the menu, go to a room with no lighting effects, return to the menu, and go to a room with lighting effects, and I get that error, forcing me to end the game.

I tried to recreate the error in a separate file that follows that same flow, but it didn't happen. Maybe I should just try redoing the lights. If that doesn't work, I'll try removing everything from my game (that won't break the flow of the game), and if the error still happens, I'll PM you the GMK.

Are there any known problems with using this extension along with other effects (particles, etc)?

#18 d41

d41

GMC Member

• 526 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:17 AM

Odd........ The error message says "Trying to use non-existing surface," right? Surfaces usually will only fail if the video memory is low.

please go to Start Menu -> Run -> Type "dxdiag" -> Go to the "Display" tab and tell me what it says your video memory is.

Also, try never using le_delete at the room end (or whenever) unless you need to. You don't have to le_delete unless in the next room you do not want lighting. It makes it faster as it does not have to re-load the sprites when it doesn't need to.

If you don't mind letting someone see your game, you could PM the whole thing to me and I will check if it works on my computer and/or check your code. (I won't steal anything, don't worry.)

#19 IceWind91

IceWind91

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:27 AM

Odd........ The error message says "Trying to use non-existing surface," right? Surfaces usually will only fail if the video memory is low.

please go to Start Menu -> Run -> Type "dxdiag" -> Go to the "Display" tab and tell me what it says your video memory is.

Also, try never using le_delete at the room end (or whenever) unless you need to. You don't have to le_delete unless in the next room you do not want lighting. It makes it faster as it does not have to re-load the sprites when it doesn't need to.

If you don't mind letting someone see your game, you could PM the whole thing to me and I will check if it works on my computer and/or check your code. (I won't steal anything, don't worry.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It says I've got 96 megabytes. Is that low?

I'll PM the GMK to you if I can't figure this out soon.

#20 d41

d41

GMC Member

• 526 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:37 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It says I've got 96 megabytes. Is that low?

I'll PM the GMK to you if I can't figure this out soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

96MB is plenty. It should work fine.
Try removing everything from your game except the lighting effects (save it before doing that). Does it still give the error message?

#21 IceWind91

IceWind91

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:03 AM

I took everything out, and it didn't crash! Now I just have to figure out what it was that made it crash...

#22 d41

d41

GMC Member

• 526 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:11 AM

I took everything out, and it didn't crash! Now I just have to figure out what it was that made it crash...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That sounds more like a problem with your game than my extension. Try this:

Remove everything, one by one, but after you remove each thing, run the game. Keep doing that until the error disappears. What did you remove that made it work?

Also, I am planning on releasing a new version soon that will have a lot more functions, like the le_init() function lets you set the darkness, you can turn on/off automatic drawing, there will be new functions to change things like the depth and darkness of the lighting system without having to "le_delete(); le_init()" (which is a lot slower).

Any ideas for new functions?

Edited by d41, 25 April 2007 - 01:14 AM.

#23 Spl Cell

Spl Cell

GMC Member

• 32 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:39 PM

could you tell me the name of the sprite you use in this extension? I need it for my radar
good extension, very useful

#24 edh649

edh649

GMC Member

• 59 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:45 PM

one problem...

when i downloaded it i realised it is all code and there aren't any action buttons, so there is no point in downloading this!

i am going to try using your code in some action buttons for a better extension of this,i will give credit!

Edited by edh649, 27 May 2007 - 04:06 PM.

#25 d41

d41

GMC Member

• 526 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:05 PM

wow I completely forgot about this topic... Anyway I'll add an action library in the next version ok?

could you tell me the name of the sprite you use in this extension? I need it for my radar
good extension, very useful

huh? what sprite? you mean the sprites used for the lights? those are just gradients.

EDIT: sorry i can't make an action library - the limit for arguments is 6 and one of my functions has 7 arguments....

Edited by d41, 28 May 2007 - 04:35 PM.

#26 Spl Cell

Spl Cell

GMC Member

• 32 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 05:35 PM

so is it a sprite or not?

#27 d41

d41

GMC Member

• 526 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:43 PM

Posted Image

#28 d41

d41

GMC Member

• 526 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:45 PM

I completed and uploaded a new version - 3.0. It has lots of new functions. You can turn on/off auto drawing, you can manually draw, you can set the darkness, etc. You can download it from the first post.

EDIT Argh I meant to edit my last post sorry for bump :(
(it wasn't really a bump, though, this topic was already at the top anyway)

Edited by d41, 28 May 2007 - 11:48 PM.

#29 jack1993jack

jack1993jack

GMC Member

• 231 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:53 AM

Shadows would be cool...
But it's still great!
Testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence

#30 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:11 AM

for object __newobject5:

Trying to draw non-existing sprite.

Windows Vista dual core processor NVIDEA 7600

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#31 edh649

edh649

GMC Member

• 59 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:48 AM

for object __newobject5:

Trying to draw non-existing sprite.

Windows Vista dual core processor NVIDEA 7600

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D !!!i got the same problem!!! :P

although i dont have windows vista

Edited by edh649, 29 May 2007 - 11:49 AM.

#32 d41

d41

GMC Member

• 526 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 05:01 PM

For now, use the old 2.2 version --I removed the link-- I'm not on my computer, so I can't find the problem now, but I will later today.

EDIT: oh, I know my problem. Forgot to set up the loading of sprites. I'll fix it as soon as I can ok? (When I get on my computer)

EDIT: This error has been fixed. Download from the first post. I can't believe I made the same error again in 3.0.... I already made this error in versions 1.0 and 2.0...

Edited by d41, 30 May 2007 - 12:23 AM.

#33 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:26 AM

Works now.

I had to reinstall the gex in GM. The old reference was still in there. Even though I unzipped at the same spot, It was still using the old version.

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#34 d41

d41

GMC Member

• 526 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:32 AM

Works now.

I had to reinstall the gex in GM. The old reference was still in there. Even though I unzipped at the same spot, It was still using the old version.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I'm pretty sure when you install a .gex it copies it to the game maker program files. Because I can delete a .gex after I install it and it stays in game maker. So if there are new versions of a .gex you need to reinstall it.

#35 graham

graham

Artist and Programmer

• 523 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:54 AM

I see from your signature you won't be back 'till the 24th, but I'll post anyway.

I have had some trouble going switching from 2 lighted rooms. Also, the .zip I downloaded contains no help file. I downloaded the newest one available at time of post.

When I switch from two identical (just for the sake of testing error) lighted rooms, I get the error message:
for object __newobject22 (or 23):

I have four objects with lighting (but there are duplicates in each room eg. multiple lights) and when switching I get the message.

Correct me if I am coding incorrectly:

Control Object: (Create)
le_init(-100000,1) //lights

Individual Lights: (End Step) (Lights vary in color and size)
le_add_light(x,y,300,300,0,c_white,1);

Everything runs smoothly until I switch rooms.

Any ideas?

If you would PM me with a response that you have answered my post I would appreciate it. If you want my .gmk to help determine the problem include it in the PM.

By the way, great gex!

Edited by graham, 22 August 2007 - 02:57 AM.

KBDJ - Mix without the expensive stuff
GameJolt . GLPRODUCTIONS.co.cc

#36 Flashback

Flashback

Lord of the Ferrets

• 489 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:35 PM

graham, how much video memory do you have?

#37 graham

graham

Artist and Programmer

• 523 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:56 PM

Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset, running 128.0 MB of memory.

#38 Flashback

Flashback

Lord of the Ferrets

• 489 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:27 AM

Then, simply, you are running out of VRAM for the surface: apparently, it isn't being destroyed on room exit (something of an oversight), and the current surface takes up over half of your (rather limited) VRAM.

Also, that card is rather poor to begin with.

#39 d41

d41

GMC Member

• 526 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:28 PM

128mb should be plenty. Make sure that you never use "le_init" more than once unless you use "le_delete" first. I suspect that you are calling "le_init" in every room. Either you can call "le_delete" at the end of every room, or only call "le_init" once at the beginning of the game.

Also, there is a help file. After installing the gex, click the "Help" button in the extension manager in GM.

Edited by d41, 29 August 2007 - 04:33 PM.

#40 graham

graham

Artist and Programmer

• 523 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:31 PM

Ah, that is exactly what my problem was. I had it in the control event. Thanks for your explanation, d41.

#41 Flashback

Flashback

Lord of the Ferrets

• 489 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 01:47 AM

That's what I SAID, graham: you were running out of VRAM, because you weren't calling le_delete.

#42 graham

graham

Artist and Programmer

• 523 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:24 PM

Then, simply, you are running out of VRAM for the surface: apparently, it isn't being destroyed on room exit (something of an oversight), and the current surface takes up over half of your (rather limited) VRAM.

Also, that card is rather poor to begin with.

Ahh, I just didn't see how

it isn't being destroyed on room exit

relates to the le_delete function.

I guess I actually made a mistake.

Regardless of that, I got it working.

Thanks to everyone.

#43 necro

necro

GMC Member

• 104 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:58 PM

a gm6 compatible example as well would be nice, or a command list
I do not fear your feeble gods because I doubt they exist.
"Meus deus est machina, nex ad vestri deus."

development blog- http://cypherphage.spaces.live.com/

#44 thegreatgaveno@mac.com

thegreatgaveno@mac.com

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:29 PM

I was looking for something just like this. If I end up using your extension I'll add you to my credits list. Good work!

Edit: Works wonderfully in my game. I'm adding you to the credits now. Thank you very much!
-Gavin

P.S. There is also a link to this topic in my games post.

Edited by thegreatgaveno@mac.com, 07 November 2007 - 08:38 PM.

#45 cambesa

cambesa

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 868 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:43 PM

it should be awsome if you have dynamic soft shadows, but i still cant make them.
i dont use colors for lighting.
i use a black alpha texture and when it is black it will show the black color and when its white it will show the real color.

and then for colored ligthing i draw a colored same alpha values image over it with bm_add so black isnt showed but the color is showed... kinda dificult to explain but yeah...

take a look at this:
http://www.gamedev.n...article2032.asp

im working on that kind of lighting but its crazy work!

Insanely large signature removed by a moderator.

(I've had that signature for decades but okay...)

#46 DJ Motion

DJ Motion

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 229 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:44 PM

I gt an error while importing the extension. Maybe it's becouse i have vista.

#47 LRG

LRG

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 687 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:06 PM

I gt an error while importing the extension. Maybe it's becouse i have vista.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Vista has nothing to do with it, I'm using Vista and it works with other extensions.

one suggestion,
it would be awesome if you could make the lighting more flexible.
Also, the ambient light should be changeable. it should have other colors than black.

could you also provide the id of the data structure you used in the script?
I need it to save my game while applying the lighting.

...Coming to you May 1, 2012 or later...
Posted Image

#48 d41

d41

GMC Member

• 526 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:20 AM

You don't need to save it. The data structure gets cleared every step anyway, so it would be pointless.

#49 LRG

LRG

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 687 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:37 PM

quoted from manual

* For reasons of speed, the surface is maintained in videomemory only. As a result, you might loose the surface when e.g. the screen resolution changes or the screensaver pops up.
* Surfaces will not be saved when saving a game.

Can you give us the ID of the surface you used? or does the below function return the id?
surface=le_init() ?

could you maybe add another argument for color?
like: le_init(depth,darkness,color)

...Coming to you May 1, 2012 or later...
Posted Image

#50 d41

d41

GMC Member

• 526 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 04:55 PM

Also quoted from the manual directly below that:

And if you save then load, you will have to redo the "le_init()" function after loading.

All you have to do to save/load games is call le_init() after loading.
Edit: Yeah I could probably add a color argument.

Edited by d41, 22 March 2008 - 04:57 PM.