• 346 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:12 AM

Posted Image

Go here for more screen shots.

Get Version 1.4:
Download 1
Download 2
YoYo Games page

(I removed the previous versions. Let me know if there's a reason to put them back.)

Here's my first complete game. Press F1 in the game to read about the controls and other information (or push the Help button ^_^). Feel free to post comments/suggestions/high scores/bugs/whatever here. Have fun! :)

For those that want a quick description of game play, the idea is to swing along the cave, using the mouse, and avoid the mines. The further you go, the higher your score. Let me know if you collect everything in the extras menu.

I have ideas for a Grapnel II, but it's going to be a while before I'll be able to work on it.

Update: Since it doesn't seem like I'll get around to Grapnel II anytime soon, I've released the source code. Read more about it in its open source thread.

Version 1.4:
Minor bug fixes
Change background unlockable added

Version 1.3:
Minor bug fixes

Version 1.2:
Number of coins collected increases by the multiplier now (This doesn't count towards Coin Ace though)
Restart with 'r' added
Line speed increased slightly
Line speed unlockable added
Help button added to Main Menu
Minor graphical changes

Version 1.1:
Added sounds and credits

Version 1.0:
Initial release

Edited by ArchMageOmega, 10 September 2007 - 08:13 PM.

#2 ArchMageOmega

ArchMageOmega

GMC Member

• 346 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:30 PM

Three days and no replies. That's a little disappointing. Does anyone have any suggestions (for the game or the thread)?

I do still intend to update the game with sound (probably no music though) but for now, I'm too busy with other things.

#3 Kapser

Kapser

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1645 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:40 PM

That was actually pretty cool! Lacks of sounds tho. I like the moves like close calls.

#4 Kapser

Kapser

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1645 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 03:52 PM

I think people should try this game, this is the most replayable game I've seen in a while around here.

#5 fuse

fuse

GMC Member

• 254 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:04 PM

Well the actual engine for this game is alright, but I wish it was actually a level based game more than just repeating the same thing trying to beat your old highscores. Now I love beating highscores and ****, especially when it is against other people with an online highscore board *hint hint*. I also liked the "close call" and stuff like that when you are about to hit the red bomb things. I'll give this game a 7/10.

Edit: Well I've played this game a little more. It is really addicting! Haha! Yeah but I would love it if you made this into an actual game other than a mini game! See yah and good luck!

Edited by fuse, 05 April 2007 - 04:13 PM.

#6 M-Cat

M-Cat

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:22 PM

Hmm site's currently closed. I'd play it if you got it back up.

#7 ArchMageOmega

ArchMageOmega

GMC Member

• 346 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:30 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback and sorry about the website. Geocities has an hourly bandwidth limit. I removed the local download so it shouldn't happen again any time soon. In the mean time, I'll add the other download links to the first post. (I didn't want to do that since my page has a hit counter, but oh well.)

Edit: They'll be back up in about an hour, but any suggestions on what else I could do about the screenshots?

Edited by ArchMageOmega, 05 April 2007 - 04:39 PM.

#8 ArchMageOmega

ArchMageOmega

GMC Member

• 346 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:07 AM

Update: Version 1.1 released. Added sounds. Let me know what you think.

fuse: How would you implement levels in a game like this? (I'm not going to change this game, but I can add it to the list of ideas for Grapnel II.)

#9 Noir

Noir

GMC Member

• 590 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:57 PM

One of the more enjoyable games that I've seen. It's pretty cool, and I like how in the mine gravity it can detect whether it's a cheat or not with '-' or '+'. The moves are pretty sweet as well.

I give it a 9/10 ::lmao::

Jolly good fun!

#10 Thull

Thull

ACP Webdesigner

• 340 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 02:37 PM

I have to admit, the menu made me really NOT want to play this...But once I did...man it was amazing. It was very fun, very replayable, and extremely well done. I'm going to download any later versions of this, and this is going on my desktop!

A couple suggestions:

Work on the menu and buttons a little more
On the menu add a button for instructions that links to the game info
That's about it!

I really enjoyed this game!

10/10

#11 gamshobny

gamshobny

GMC Member

• 410 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 06:11 PM

This is sweet! The only thing I miss is a restart button, so I don't have to wait for the black out and click the 'restart' button, but I can just hit the 'r' and start again.
I also miss explenation of the stunts. for example, I don't know what 'barn storm' is.

in version 2, maybe you should add more stuff. I thought some things up:
- timed mine: collision won't kill you, but you better get out of there fast.
- sweet spot: in the roof, there are certain spots wich give a little bonus when you hit it with you graplin hook.
- knife: players have to pass this from above, since else their rope will be cut.
- using formations: instead of random things, add the occurence of certain formations. Have it so that once in a while, a formation comes along and you see the name, so people in time will recocnize them.
- instead of using the straight roof and floor of the room, use a cave-like enviroment.
- ability to lengthen/shorten rope in expence of points.
- bonusses like skateboards or parachutes.

#12 jelleisgoed

jelleisgoed

GMC Member

• 419 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:47 PM

Wow, this is a really original game. Good graphix! It's very very good 9/10!

#13 ArchMageOmega

ArchMageOmega

GMC Member

• 346 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:28 PM

Thanks again for the positive feedback. I'm glad people are enjoying my game. <_<

gamshobny: I'll try and add something to restart the game in the next update (which might be a couple of days since my computer is AWOL ATM) but I've been trying really hard to not use the keyboard. I suppose for something extra like a restart button it wouldn't be a big deal though. (Plus, the high score table uses it regardless.)

Also, some of those other ideas are pretty good. I'll probably use some of them (like the knives) as a special effect of specific levels. (I could put the knives in a circus level, for example.) BTW, do you have any ideas for levels?

I considered allowing you to lengthen or shorten the rope, but I didn't want to use the keyboard for anything (gameplay wise at least). I may use the mouse wheel for that, but that might exclude players without a mouse wheel. In the end, I may just use both. (This'll be for version 2 though.)

Thull: Do you have any suggestions on how I can improve the menus? I'll try to add a help button on the next update, but like I said, that might be a few days.

Edited by ArchMageOmega, 09 April 2007 - 07:29 PM.

#14 hotshotscott

hotshotscott

GMC Member

• 3483 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:13 AM

Sorry i thought i already had replied but obviously not...GREAT game really i do love it! It's addicting which is great, and you have awesome grapnel effects, which i want in my game but yer..lol seriously graphics are great, sounds are good! Gameplay is good and effects! 9/10 for like minigame thing! Love it!

scotty

TEAM ODDBOX

Did I try your game or help you out with yours?? Please return the favour and try out my game! NOT just another Halo Clone!!

Posted Image

#15 -Ghost-

-Ghost-

GMC Member

• 15 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:31 AM

Thats a pretty fun game, quite addicting. Heres my higscore table.
Posted Image

#16 Thull

Thull

ACP Webdesigner

• 340 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:50 AM

As for the menu, the general idea is cool, try to improve the buttons, and make the background more appealing to the eye. Then it would be amazing!

#17 jmpearson2001

jmpearson2001

GMC Member

• 482 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:12 AM

there has been games out like this... and i hated them...
i just don't like this style game.. atleast thats what i THOUGHT...
you perfected this... you took a concept and completed it...
the mines with 'close call' and the funny noises and fading tail behind the ball put the icing on the cake...

9.9/10
sorry, nothings perfect :skull:

#18 hughman

hughman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 568 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:41 AM

very nice game!
I'm not sure why you don't want to use the keyboard...
I think that if all the main controls are on the mouse it shouldn't be a problem if it's only used for things such as 'r' for restart(which would indeed be nice) shortening/lengthing rope would be appreciated I think mouse wheel plus keyboard controls for those who don't have one would be good
very addicting though, I love it!

#19 Kapser

Kapser

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1645 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:20 AM

fuse: How would you implement levels in a game like this? (I'm not going to change this game, but I can add it to the list of ideas for Grapnel II.)

What I'd like to see in Grapnel II is you keep it random, not level based, but the background changes at every 10000 points and maybe some different moving or bigger ennemies.

Keep it up, I still play this game.

#20 ArchMageOmega

ArchMageOmega

GMC Member

• 346 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:26 AM

Well, I was going to wait until the weekend to post (with an update), but there've been a lot of replies.

First, I'm going to add a help button to the main menu (same as F1) and I'll add 'r' for quick restart. I'm debating whether or not to add rope-length controls. It's nothing difficult (and having both mouse-wheel and up/down would work fine) but I'm not sure I want to make that change to gameplay. Of course, it's possible to just ignore it, but I'm wondering if it'd make the game easier. (It's somewhat of a question of balance.) Anyway, I'll think about it. (Any thoughts?)

Thull: The background is the same one that's used during the game (minus the second layer). I'm not all that great with these kind of artistic questions. Can you give me some more specific suggestions? I'll try and play with it a bit, but I don't think I'm going to be able to improve it significantly on my own.

Kasper: The only thing about that is that I don't really like that style of play. For one thing, I'd have to guess how many levels I'd need, and then half the people playing would never see half the levels. What I intend to do (so far) is to make it somewhat level based, but each level is unending (like the current game). Getting far enough in a level would unlock things (like skins and new levels). Also, each level would have it's own unique touches (knives in the circus level, flying fish in the Mario level, etc.).

Everyone: Thanks again. :skull:

#21 death-droid

death-droid

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2600 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:51 AM

can you please host using www.filefactory.com(good host no reg required)

Posted Image

#22 hughman

hughman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 568 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:41 AM

well it would be interesting to try a version that allowed changing rope length, probably wouldn't change the game play much I don't think, except when someone gets themselves stuck(or at least that's how I'd use it)
Also if you do add in sound please make sure it's possible to turn it off. Any music could get annoying if repeated, especially with a game as addicting as this.

#23 death-droid

death-droid

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2600 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:35 AM

Very nice game liked it from the menu can get har but still fun and addictive

Your GC rating?
Posted Image7/10

I recemend adding in music but still its fun and addictive.

Posted Image

#24 -master-

-master-

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:55 AM

wow, been playing for an hour now. best score: 12334
needs optional music. less coins for unlockables. maybe multiple grapples? i suggest having a look at the spiderman flash games that are like this. i could give you a link via pm but im nt advertising it in a thread

#25 AKH

AKH

AKH GAMEZ Owner

• GMC Member
  • 661 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:38 PM

This is a good game.

Sound effects: very nice. 9/10.
Music: None, nothing to rate. No rating.
Graphics: Good background, but the sprites look like they've had less effort. 8/10.
Gameplay: Addicting, with a good replay value. 9/10.

Overall Rating: 8.6/10.

#26 Kapser

Kapser

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1645 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:20 PM

Multiple levels sounds great, but will you have only 1 highscore table for every levels? Also, for that rope lengh I personnaly think that's not necessary (except maybe if unlockable), but I'd like to have a bit faster rope throwing speed (i mean the time the rope take to reach the roof). That would make the game a little easier but better manoeuverablty.

ps: my highscore is 23850 :)

#27 gamshobny

gamshobny

GMC Member

• 410 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:11 PM

what is all this stuff with levels? I'd say you use (as I said erlier) formations.

Imagine you're just swinging around and sudenly, the text 'tunnel formation' appears. You then know that within a few seconds, a tunnel of mines will appear wich can boost your score, if you do it right.

It's a bit like a boss fight, I guess. but without the shooting enemies and such, that would not fit the gameplay.

#28 VicNeapol

VicNeapol

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:15 PM

I love this :)

#29 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:36 PM

Pretty nice game.
"This is Miller, he's fifteen years old. Miller is uh, probably the most rock and roll member of our crew.
He has seven wives and fiftythree children, and uh, he takes cocaine for breakfast, crack for lunch, and heroin for dinner."

-Chris Martin

#30 Fredvdp

Fredvdp

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:21 PM

It's a very fun game. Perhaps you could make it more extreme by giving the character a (temporary) gun after you've collected a certain amount of points. Or you could add planes and when your character falls in one, he can fly it for ten seconds. :) The game is very good, but some powerups might make it even better.

"Space Rocks in Space" - A free sidescrolling space shooter in space with asteroids Space Rocks! (Available for Android)

Google Play

#31 BlaXun

BlaXun

Slime Online Creator

• GMC Member
  • 2750 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 14 April 2007 - 02:38 AM

a very very very nice game ^^

palyed it for some time now, here is the result:

Posted Image

^-^ do I win anything now? x)

btw, care to give us a basic engine example? :3
It seems to be very well made ^-^

iBNKRoX.png

#32 ArchMageOmega

ArchMageOmega

GMC Member

• 346 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 06:25 AM

Alright. The update is ready. I'm in the process of uploading it, so the download links will be in the first post shortly (along with the list of changes). I'll update the screen shots afterwards.

death-droid: I'm not going to use filefactory since it'll delete my files after only 7 days of inactivity. There are plenty of other places that will leave my files alone.

Kasper: With multiple levels, I'd most likely keep only 1 highscore table, but that depends. I should add online highscores for Grapnel 2 (and possibly for a later version of Grapnel I). Depending on how I pull that off, I'll either have to balance the difficulty of each level, or add multiple tables.

gamshobny: The big problem with having formations is that I'd need several of them, and I'm just too lazy for that. :( That, and I'm not too sure how easy it'd be to add that to my engine.

-master-: Instead of reducing the price of the unlockables, I made it slightly easier to collect coins. See the list of changes in v1.2.

Fredvdp: A gun is completely out of character for this game. A skateboard, plane or other mode of transportation might be usable in Grapnel II though.

BlaXun: I don't want to brag, so I'll just say that you haven't beaten my highscore just yet. :GM128: As for the engine, it's very unlikely that I'll post any examples. I'll say that I used Verlet integration instead of the built-in physics system. Also, I've been thinking about starting a 'Math in games' thread and using examples from this game, but I haven't felt up to it yet. (It'd be a big write-up.)

Everyone: Thanks again. The best thing for someone who enjoys creating things is for other to enjoy his creations. :GM049:

Edit: Oh yeah, some notes.

I didn't include changing rope lengths, because after testing it a bit, it either changed gameplay too much or was too slow to be useful. The thing is, using Verlet integration means that any change in position affects velocity. So by reeling yourself in, you are increasing your speed (which is roughly how it should be, really). That lets you do things like get a x12 Ballistic bonus in one or two swings. Making it slow enough to stop that makes it too slow to be useful. That, and the mouse wheel is way too jerky and somewhat hard to use. I will try and play around with it some more though and see if I can't find some way to make it work. If not, I'll save it for the next game.

Also, for anyone suggesting I need to add music or better graphics, can you suggest where I can get some? I can't write music myself (I can make it, just not write it) and the graphics in the game are already pretty good by my standards, so either one would require some assistance.

Another Edit: Oh yeah. This is made in GM7, so it should be Vista compatible, even if I'm not. :angry:

Edited by ArchMageOmega, 15 April 2007 - 07:36 AM.

#33 jmpearson2001

jmpearson2001

GMC Member

• 482 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:03 PM

Posted Image

hahaha, don't you just love it when you get a funny glitch? its easy to do, mind you, and doesn't happen during normal gameplay, unless, you switch windows using a button from your keyboard and... well... its very complicated... more of an easter egg, i guess

#34 ArchMageOmega

ArchMageOmega

GMC Member

• 346 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:15 PM

I"ve seen that once before. What happens is that it somehow fails to detect the mouse release event (which deletes the line) then when you click again, it creates a new line. I think my code will probably just ignore the second line (it's kind of hard to test), but both will go away as soon as you let go of the mouse button. I don't consider this worth fixing. Let me know if you disagree.

#35 jmpearson2001

jmpearson2001

GMC Member

• 482 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:45 PM

no, no fixing needed... not much you can do about it... i just thought it would be cool to share... anyway, i need a sig of this... make it as big as you want... just not as big as the forum regulation.. don't want it deleted :)

#36 Splayer

Splayer

GMC Member

• 130 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:56 AM

Definetly one of the better games I've played in a while.

Gameplay- Solid, original, great physics and very addicting. I think that if in a sequel, you had this essentially as an arcade mode with an added adventure/quest too, it would be amazing!

Audio- No music, but sound effects were used really well. The Sound effetc that created a"whoosing" sound of the wind blow past the ball was great.

Graphics- Very good overall. Has some room for improvement though.

Fun/ Value- Really fun for a while, but eventually, with a lack of levels, it does get a little boring. While the bonuses and cheats provide incentive to keep playing, a little varience in the levels would have done wonders.

Overall: A-

You have a really great game here, and I'm very glad that you have plans for a sequel. You have a lot of potential and I'd love to see what you come up with next ;)

#37 ArchMageOmega

ArchMageOmega

GMC Member

• 346 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:36 AM

jmpearson2001: A banner's a good idea. How's this look:

Posted Image

[url=http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=287586][img]http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/4184/grapnelbanner1sy5.png[/img][/url]

Edited by ArchMageOmega, 17 April 2007 - 05:36 AM.

#38 Ptolemy

Ptolemy

ACDC Fan

• GMC Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:01 PM

First of all, great job on the physics in this game. They work exactly as i would expect them to and i've not been able to make physics myself (lazy :)).
This game has insanely addicted me from the first time i played it. My entire highscore list is 20,000s.
Thanks for the effort in making a great game.
The gameplay is rather solid and i didnt notice any glitches that affected gameplay.
Overall you rated Giraffe on the "Ptolemy insanely retarded why would i rate games im not even a professional" scale.
Please enjoy the rest of your day.

~Ptolemy
GM User since '02

#39 ArchMageOmega

ArchMageOmega

GMC Member

• 346 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:34 PM

I'd hate to have the thread die at this point, but there doesn't seem to be much else to do. If there are no other suggestions for Grapnel I, it probably won't get updated again (meaning, I can't think of anything else). One exception is if I can work out a way to add an online highscore board (for free anyway).

Thanks for the reviews! I'll likely start working on Grapnel II sometime around the beginning of summer. (No telling when I'll finish it though.)

BTW, has anyone managed to get all 9 super stunts? I haven't myself. Also, a friend of mine managed to get a little over 58,000 points. My highscore is only around 42,000. Has anyone else gotten higher?

#40 AKH

AKH

AKH GAMEZ Owner

• GMC Member
  • 661 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:45 PM

There are loads of things you could do to add to this game!
  • Music
  • Online Highscores, like you said, could be done with PHP and/or a DLL (don't know how though)
  • different types of mines, for example, mines you bounce off, or mines that slow you down.
  • more stunts & unlockables
  • enemies, that swing around with the character
  • more types of coins, with different values
  • powerups, as Fredvdp said a few posts up
Don't give up on this now, it has so much potential, and it's really addicting.

#41 ArchMageOmega

ArchMageOmega

GMC Member

• 346 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:43 PM

Well, like I said before, the main reason I don't have music is because I don't have anywhere to get music. (I'm not going to spend any money on this.)

As for the online highscores, I actually know how to do it, but it requires some where online to put it, and again, I'm not going to spend money for that. (Especially since it'd likely by a monthly thing.)

The different mines/enemies, more stunts and powerups are all on the list for Grapnel II. More unlockables is a possibility for Grapnel I, but I don't have many ideas for that. The coins, I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. I'll think about it.

Anyway, thanks for the interest. I'll post back here if I do update it, or if not, watch for Grapnel II. :blink:

#42 gamshobny

gamshobny

GMC Member

• 410 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:37 PM

you might want to restart the score when the player presses the restartbutton :) . If you press the restartbutton in version 1.2, the score does not reset, so you can get an infinete score, depending on how much time you want to spend on it.

#43 hasser

hasser

GMC Member

• 537 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:45 PM

what gamshobby said, also i couldnt figure out what the super stunts even were! how ot get 3 air hangs at the same time?

#44 pyrotek7x7

pyrotek7x7

GMC Member

• 961 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:54 PM

Yeah, Super Stunts don't make sense!

AND they're nearly impossible! I've got Eight X about 3 times, that's it. (You should be able to get it multiple times)
Registered user of . GM user since early '04.

#45 ArchMageOmega

ArchMageOmega

GMC Member

• 346 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:16 PM

Doh! XP I'll get that fixed. Watch for version 1.3 later today then. :P

Also, the help describes the Super Stunts. For example, to get Triple Hang Time, you have to get three Hang Time bonuses in one fall (in between two swings). For Eight X, you have to get a x8 bonus. (I don't know what you mean, you got it three times. You should only be able to get each Super Stunt once.) And yes, I know they're very difficult, but they're not impossible. (Actually, I'm not sure if Speed Ace isn't practically impossible though.)

If you're careful, you should be able to get Triple Hang Time by flinging yourself off the top of the screen on your third big swing. You'll have to fall all the way to the ground, but you'll still get it.

Edit: :P Ugh. Such a simple bug. One line of code... Oh well. It's fixed now. It's good this was found before I worked out the online highscores. ^_^

Edited by ArchMageOmega, 22 April 2007 - 10:50 PM.

#46 death-droid

death-droid

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2600 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:15 AM

oh yeah for music check out flashkit.com

Posted Image

#47 cyber_cam

cyber_cam

GMC Member

• 68 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:56 AM

9/10
One of the best games I have seen

Go Grapnel!

#48 ArchMageOmega

ArchMageOmega

GMC Member

• 346 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:41 PM

Version 1.4 is out with a new unlockable! Let me know if it doesn't make sense (or doesn't work). Also, hopefully, I fixed the last infinite score bug. It'd be really bad if I added an online high score table and someone posted a 17000000 score (the score one of my friends got after discovering another bug)... ;)

Edited by ArchMageOmega, 25 April 2007 - 04:43 PM.

#49 AKH

AKH

AKH GAMEZ Owner

• GMC Member
  • 661 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:15 PM

I'm going to re-rate this.

Sound effects: 8.5/10.
Music: No Rating.
Graphics: The previous rating was 8/10, with a new background it is now a 9/10.
Gameplay: Extremely addicting, but there's no music and some of the unlockables are a bit pointless. 9/10.

New Rating: 8.8/10.

#50 cabyz

cabyz

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 02:53 AM

This game is just amazing... Lol it's so addicting and is one of my fav. Gamemaker games... My highest score is 24226... that is with the accelerator cheat on... All I could think of doing is adding more obstacles... like moving mines... you know stuff like that... otherwise keep up the good work.
Score: 9.5/10... that earns you a chicken and a ninja :D :blink: !!! Yay!