Game Maker In Nintendo Power Magazine

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 SirMixAlot

SirMixAlot

Punkster

• 216 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:04 AM

A pretty big magazine (Nintendo Power Magazine), just featured Game Maker on one of the back pages of their May 2007, Issue 215. A pic follows.

PIC

Pretty much anyone who bought a Wii in North America (600000 in the first week, which was over 4-5 months ago. Sales only flew from there.) has the chance to get the magazine for free, or any one who bought the mag in a shop, (Which is how I got it.). It's a pretty big number of people going to be seeing this.

Incase you can't read the text...

The Game Maker's Apprentice
Geared toward the novice game developer with access to a PC, The Game Maker's Apprentice offers practical basic programming techniques peppered with design philosophy. The book's CD includes Game Maker software (a drag-and-drop development tool) and art assets for nine starter games.-GEORGE S.

Could have expanded, but it's still some nice stuff.

Edited by SirMixAlot, 22 March 2007 - 12:06 AM.

#2 JPGMer

JPGMer

GMC Member

• 551 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:16 AM

hmm its not a pretty big deal seeing it on a magazine, but whats big is that a lot of other people get that magazine, nice.

could of had a better description though...

#3 Joerdgs

Joerdgs

Clavus Studios

• 393 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:09 PM

could of had a better description though...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, 'drag-and-drop developement tool' sounds a bit unproffesional...
They should've said something about the capability to create about ANY 2d game with it, that it has a large community, and that it just rocks!

#4 darkuranium

darkuranium

GMC Member

• 229 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:33 PM

True, it does sound unproffesional... But then again, it is a drag-and-drop development tool - even for GML, you have to drag and drop in the "Execute a piece of code".

#5 Shaltif

Shaltif

The Audio Master

• Retired Staff
  • 1185 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:50 PM

even for GML, you have to drag and drop in the "Execute a piece of code".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is technically incorrect. You can work with GML without having to use a single Drag and Drop icon. Grant it, most people don't go to the extreme of using scripts and the resource functions for creating everything by code, but it is fully possible to use GML without using GM's D&D interface. (Right now, the only downside to using pure GML is the requirement to have a room created in the editor and that rooms can't be deleted once created...something I would like to see changed sometime in the future.) SVC has even allowed me to go a step further and not use GM's editor at all...but that's a separate discussion.

Although this was more of a snip, rather than a full blown article devoted to Game Maker, it does go to show that this software is slowly gaining a public foothold. With the move to YoYo Games and the features that plan to bring, this will only add more public interest (and hopefully more popularity/use of the tool). To a little animation/drag and drop tool that once only had a yellow text with blue background website for showcasing it, to the company that is being developed today, I'm glad to see how far Game Maker has come from it's humble beginnings, and hope the future is just as sweet.

~Brandon

#6 Noir

Noir

GMC Member

• 590 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:05 PM

Although this was more of a snip, rather than a full blown article devoted to Game Maker, it does go to show that this software is slowly gaining a public foothold.  With the move to YoYo Games and the features that plan to bring, this will only add more public interest (and hopefully more popularity/use of the tool).  To a little animation/drag and drop tool that once only had a yellow text with blue background website for showcasing it, to the company that is being developed today, I'm glad to see how far Game Maker has come from it's humble beginnings, and hope the future is just as sweet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Much agreed.

#7 pyrotek7x7

pyrotek7x7

GMC Member

• 961 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:07 AM

I never read that part of the magazine. :GM028:

#8 Mailas

Mailas

Send in the Mail

• GMC Member
  • 5680 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:09 AM

I think it is a big deal since its on Nintendo power lol.

#9 SephLagu

SephLagu

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:46 AM

Oh, yeah.

Yay for nintendo power... NOT!!!

I still don't trust it after those FFIV pictures, all those years ago...

#10 Vyzer

Vyzer

GMC Member

• 721 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:49 AM

It'd be interesting to see the site page hits this month relative to other months.

#11 Saga

Saga

Graphics Professional

• 231 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:22 AM

I saw Gamemaker mentioned in an article within PC Gamer before which explained a contest several novice programmers were partaking that required them to design a game in a very short period of time.

Pretty neat stuff...

~Saga~

#12 Shaltif

Shaltif

The Audio Master

• Retired Staff
  • 1185 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:59 AM

It'd be interesting to see the site page hits this month relative to other months.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://gamemaker.nl/facts.html

Read the history:

Entire month in 1999

Since then I quickly created public versions 1.2, 1.2a, 1.3. It was not very much know or downloaded. For example in the whole of december 1999 Game Maker was downloaded a total of 366 times.

2006 for a single day.

Downloads stay constant at around 4,000 per day.

~Brandon

#13 Abyssal_Nuclei

Abyssal_Nuclei

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1695 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:35 AM

I think he means the specific hits this month, to see the number of people that the mention brought to GM.

I still haven't gotten my Nintendo Power for May... but I'll look for it in there.

~Abyss

#14 King Bobby

King Bobby

GMC Member

• 127 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 02:23 AM

i just got my NP, I'll have to search for that. Cool though, I thought they were all nintendo :) :D

#15 aparoid_x

aparoid_x

Nintendork

• 228 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 02:39 AM

I didn't get that issue... >.>

On the topic of Nintendo... ...it pwns!

POKEMON DIAMOND AND PEARL FTW

#16 buji_ryu

buji_ryu

GMC Member

• 324 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 04:13 AM

I don't think it's a big deal, Game Maker has been featured in bigger Magazines before. It's good for the book though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users