5 replies to this topic

#1 NinjaBril

NinjaBril

Many games, little time

• GMC Member
  • 2339 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:11 AM

I started this game a while ago, just messing around with the crazy gamemaker ideas that I had and then I decided that this could actualy make a decent game, so o finished it. The deal about this game is that your goal is to get past your enemy's defences to score points. The game has a rock paper scissors concept which makes it cooler. I say its worth a try at least.

Yeah I know the screen shots look like crap but I am a way better programmer than I am a spriter so I left the sprites as blocks, please don't critize me on that.

Screenshot1
Screenshot2
Screenshot3

Filesize: 2.2 MB
Posted Image

oh and btw about the name, I made the name up on the top of my head.

and I forgot to add this but for player 1 to move is wasd and to shoot is spacebar. For player 2 to move is arrows, and to shoot is keypad 0.

I plan to make one more Final version for the game to sharpen the edges up.
what I will add is:
-A "how to play" in options(with diagram)
-Edit the sprites to show which is which
-Add a timer so you know when you can shoot
-Im going to try and add a set time
-I am going to also try to add a "which is next" function
and thats about it

Edited by Senar, 23 March 2007 - 04:54 AM.

Formally Senar.

NinjaBril's Showcase:
That Name Game! | Chips World | Cellz | Dataster | Nos | Mazemerized | Ankz Reminisce

#2 NinjaBril

NinjaBril

Many games, little time

• GMC Member
  • 2339 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 01:15 AM

anyone care to try and comment?

Formally Senar.

NinjaBril's Showcase:
That Name Game! | Chips World | Cellz | Dataster | Nos | Mazemerized | Ankz Reminisce

#3 JFarceur

JFarceur

GMC Member

• 460 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:02 AM

Rock... paper... scissors.. eh?

Downloading...

=========================================
Part 1 : Comments while trying the game

wHAT THE... ??? I dont understand anything, where'S the help file ??
F1 !! Never use Enter+backspace+ctrl to navigate into a menu, thats a goddamn labyrinth.

Okay, I'm getting my ass kicked, so hows that game played ?? Oh! Okay, player 2 shoots with Keypad 0, good. I dont even have that key on my laptop, lol.

Whats the strategy? How do we choose the colors ? ... Oh.. we cannot? ... oh... okay, random, I guess.

In fact, that could be a fun game. I just dont understand how to play it. I supposed there would be strategy, but I dont understand at all how to select colors, so its just a big random game without fun for me.

1) If we can choose the colors, or at least know what color come next, SHOW IT.
2) It'd be fun to have an "energy bar" or something that tells us that we need to wait until it's full before shooting a block.
3) It'd be fun to have a diagram somewhere that shows that Blue kicks Red kicks green kicks blue... and so on, or draw rock paper scissors, or ask me to do it (I'm not spriter, but I know how to use paint somehow)

ahah, I just saw that in the menu, there was text indicating to use enter backspace and control. Dammit. Dont ever do that. No serious game ever done that, so dont do it.

Okay, I gave you a chance, so I tried CPU vs CPU, just in case that "I" did not understood something. It was clear for me that I understood everything.

Part 2 : My personnal comment :

You attempt was not a "bad" attempt.

1) Be aware of gaming standards, like how to navigate in a menu (a "go back" option could be nice instead of CTRL)

2) Such a "mathematical" game is not a bad idea. In fact, I like the idea. The real problem is that it's pretty difficult to make real fun games out of theses concepts, believe me. For example, I created a 4 dimensions Tic-tac-toe that was meant to be played by 7 to 10 players. We played once in a party, and we discovered it was not fun at all, since poor players were making some better player wins.

3) Don't ever leave colors like you did, for such simple concepts we all understand. You should have make a red circle (rock), a blue square (paper) and a green X (scissors), and we'd understand it all. More complicated you did, the "walls" are coloured too, and I really thought for a while we needed scissors to destroy the paper walls, and I thought, why are we throwing anything else than scissors then? But I understood after I was mistaken.

4) Options are great. Really great. You're ahead of many people with the "more" possibilities, but beware of your options : example : A "Time : Yes/No" option never existed in any game. We always have the choice of the number of minutes-seconds.

Unless you really have a better idea, I would not work any further on that game, because the concept is not fun in any way, since there seem to be no strategy at all, only luck.

Even the 2 CPU's together looked bored to play. Well, look at them, they dont even seem to play seriously.

I mean, you're creative, but think well. Use your head, and create good concepts.

Edited by JFarceur, 21 March 2007 - 04:06 AM.

#4 NinjaBril

NinjaBril

Many games, little time

• GMC Member
  • 2339 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:30 AM

thanks for telling the truth.

But about the "choose the color" that would kill the game in my eye because everyone would choose the counter and rock paper scissors is 100% random.

(Its just like the actual game. It wouldnt be fair you could see what your oppents make with their hand before you make your, or vis-versa, someone would always win)

but
I plan to make one more Final version for the game to sharpen the edges up.
what I will add is:
-A "how to play" in options(with diagram)
-Edit the sprites to show which is which
-Add a timer so you know when you can shoot
-Im going to try and add a set time
-I am going to also try to add a "which is next" function
and thats about it

once again I thank you for your time :GM028:

Edited by Senar, 23 March 2007 - 04:48 AM.

Formally Senar.

NinjaBril's Showcase:

#5 ScarrEye

ScarrEye

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 149 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:03 AM

If you like Senar, I can do a little bit of spriting for you. I'm no masterpiece maker, but I'm decent. I think. Just tell me what you want specific things to look like and I'll do my best.

#6 NinjaBril

NinjaBril

Many games, little time

• GMC Member
  • 2339 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:12 AM

Hahaha, thanks for the offer man, but this topic is really old, & your post is rather irrelevant to the topic. You should of considered messaging me instead, I hope no one gets in trouble for resurrecting this topic. Next time just message me for a comment like that Scarr!

Formally Senar.

NinjaBril's Showcase: