Rock... paper... scissors.. eh?
Part 1 : Comments while trying the game
wHAT THE... ??? I dont understand anything, where'S the help file ??
F1 !! Never use Enter+backspace+ctrl to navigate into a menu, thats a goddamn labyrinth.
Okay, I'm getting my ass kicked, so hows that game played ?? Oh! Okay, player 2 shoots with Keypad 0, good. I dont even have that key on my laptop, lol.
Whats the strategy? How do we choose the colors ? ... Oh.. we cannot? ... oh... okay, random, I guess.
In fact, that could be a fun game. I just dont understand how to play it. I supposed there would be strategy, but I dont understand at all how to select colors, so its just a big random game without fun for me.
1) If we can choose the colors, or at least know what color come next, SHOW IT.
2) It'd be fun to have an "energy bar" or something that tells us that we need to wait until it's full before shooting a block.
3) It'd be fun to have a diagram somewhere that shows that Blue kicks Red kicks green kicks blue... and so on, or draw rock paper scissors, or ask me to do it (I'm not spriter, but I know how to use paint somehow)
ahah, I just saw that in the menu, there was text indicating to use enter backspace and control. Dammit. Dont ever do that. No serious game ever done that, so dont do it.
Okay, I gave you a chance, so I tried CPU vs CPU, just in case that "I" did not understood something. It was clear for me that I understood everything.
Part 2 : My personnal comment :
You attempt was not a "bad" attempt.
1) Be aware of gaming standards, like how to navigate in a menu (a "go back" option could be nice instead of CTRL)
2) Such a "mathematical" game is not a bad idea. In fact, I like the idea. The real problem is that it's pretty difficult to make real fun games out of theses concepts, believe me. For example, I created a 4 dimensions Tic-tac-toe that was meant to be played by 7 to 10 players. We played once in a party, and we discovered it was not fun at all, since poor players were making some better player wins.
3) Don't ever leave colors like you did, for such simple concepts we all understand. You should have make a red circle (rock), a blue square (paper) and a green X (scissors), and we'd understand it all. More complicated you did, the "walls" are coloured too, and I really thought for a while we needed scissors to destroy the paper walls, and I thought, why are we throwing anything else than scissors then? But I understood after I was mistaken.
4) Options are great. Really great. You're ahead of many people with the "more" possibilities, but beware of your options : example : A "Time : Yes/No" option never existed in any game. We always have the choice of the number of minutes-seconds.
Unless you really have a better idea, I would not work any further on that game, because the concept is not fun in any way, since there seem to be no strategy at all, only luck.
Even the 2 CPU's together looked bored to play. Well, look at them, they dont even seem to play seriously.
I mean, you're creative, but think well. Use your head, and create good concepts.
Edited by JFarceur, 21 March 2007 - 04:06 AM.