174 replies to this topic

#1 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:28 AM

AHOVI has been accepted into the cagematch! If you liked it, please show your support with a vote here!

You can also show your support by rating the game at the Indie Games Showcase! Click here to check it out!

Greetings everyone! After months of development, I have finally finished Aces High Over Verlor Island! 3D dogfights, online play, & high scores!

For the uninitiated, AHOVI is a 3D top-down arcade shooter where you pilot a biplane, and compete against other people online, or against yourself (and the clock) in the 3 single player modes. You are capable of performing a few special maneuvers, and various power-ups occasionally appear in order to help you stay alive.

Screenshots
Posted Image Posted Image

Each of the 3 single player modes has an online high score board set up so that you can compete against others, and of course, you can also compete directly with people in brawls of up to 8 people at once! For each single player mode, and the multiplayer mode, you can earn Reflect credits, which are basically just a way of showing others your skill level, and how much you've played.

Controls
Using menus:
LEFT MOUSE - Click to activate a button
UP & DOWN ARROWS - Navigate menu options
ENTER - Activate a button
ESC - Close the current menu / exit the game

Playing the game:
LEFT & RIGHT ARROWS - Turn your aircraft left or right
LEFT & RIGHT ARROWS (double tap) - Do a barrel roll
UP ARROW (hold) - Speed skill
DOWN ARROW (hold) - Slow Skill
DOWN ARROW (double tap) - Perform a vertical loop
SPACE BAR - Fire machine gun
ESC - Exit the game

Multiplayer only:
ENTER - Begin chat type mode / send message
SHIFT (hold) - View scoreboard

HOST CHAT COMMANDS:
/players - view a numbered player list
/kick # - replace # with the desired player number from the player list to kick a player

Miscellaneous:
F4 - Toggle windowed / full screen mode

Download
Click here to download (Version 1.02 - 5.56 Mb)

NEW! Click here to download AHOVI Map Maker! (1.57 Mb)

Posted Image

Like a few of my previous games, (Evolites and Linked), in order to submit your high scores, earn credits, and play online, you'll need a Reflect Account. You can find out more about how the system works, and sign up at the Reflect Games website. It's free, fast, and painless!

A special note about playing online
If you want to host games online, you might have to set up your router to use port forwarding. you can find out more about that here. Just make sure TCP port 27782 is open, and you should be good to go.

#2 kovreu01

kovreu01

Gary Z

• 173 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:38 AM

Yay! First to reply! I loved watching this game come together, and now it has!

Interface: 10/10
Sound: 6/10
Graphics: 9/10
Playability: 8/10
Presentation: 10/10
Ease: 8/10
Overall: 9/10
Total: 8.57/10
Hot Feature: Commercial quality; superb presentation.

One of my favourite GM games!

Edited by kovreu01, 18 March 2007 - 01:13 AM.

#3 jls900

jls900

Crazy zebra

• 384 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:54 AM

Awesome. been waiting for this...

I havent gotten a chance to play it online but single player was fun and the graphics were awesome, nice textures and nice detail. Great job.

Edited by jls900, 18 March 2007 - 01:01 AM.

#4 jc84144

jc84144

GMC Member

• 78 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:06 AM

WOW! great game. Best looking and most fun 3d game i seen made with GM.

#5 kovreu01

kovreu01

Gary Z

• 173 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:07 AM

I logged in to play multiplayer, and it said I needed to update my version of the game. The version I have is 1.00, but the only version available is 1.00! Yet in your screenshots, the multiplayer button at the menu isn't disabled!

Oh wait, it's working now.

Bah! Stupid post!

Edited by kovreu01, 18 March 2007 - 01:14 AM.

#6 Armageddon

Armageddon

Earth, Wind & Fire

• 64 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:17 AM

Good job! Not in full 3D, but I like the vertical loop!

#7 ESENESES Games

ESENESES Games

GMC Member

• 117 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:31 AM

10/10!!

#8 Leif-Ericson

Leif-Ericson

GMC Member

• Validating
  • 450 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:50 AM

Finally, this is out.

This will make GM's multiplayer way better, and boost Reflect activity. But there is one Reflect game that will boost activity way more than this, but I bet everyone already knows that.

#9 Dracodragon

Dracodragon

Frogfighter Founder!

• 498 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:22 AM

Great to hear that this game is finally finished! Congratulations yet again on another great game Marty!

I enjoyed all the things in the game and thought everything from sprites, music, to the theme were all harmonized well together. You have outdone yourself yet again.

I cant wait to play people online, hopefully when my internet starts to run faster you will be seeing me on there. :P

10/10

-Draco-
Posted Image
Who says a Draco cant like frogs?

#10 sn0wb0arder381

sn0wb0arder381

GMC Member

• 1153 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:28 AM

I finally tried out the multiplayer with a few people, and it was amazing. It was a bit laggy, which was a little unexpected since I do have a good connection and have 0 lag on every game.(11-44 ping on battlefield 2)

#11 frank34443

frank34443

GMC Member

• 630 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:34 AM

I saw this in the WIP forum fred, and already then it was amazing. I can't download this atm but I will soon. I can barely wait to see what this game has in store.

#12 metalhead1023

metalhead1023

GMC's only emo kid

• 612 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:46 AM

WH00T!

I've been waiting for this day will edit with full review congrats fred on completion.

#13 Pondwater

Pondwater

Lilypad

• 108 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 03:37 AM

Three Cheers! Go you cropdusters!

#14 madlawyer

madlawyer

GMC Member

• 51 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:25 AM

I say five words: Cage Match Hall of Fame.

#15 T-Bird

T-Bird

GMC Member

• 1326 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:44 AM

Im glad this is out not only because its a great game, but also because it puts you that much closer to HT3D2 *drools*

#16 msnacks

msnacks

GMC Member

• 158 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:49 AM

this looks amazing!!! The screenshots are very convincing cant wait to play it!!!

it wasnt quite as good as i thought, i dont like the idea of the "skill level" and it take skill to fire the gun and do tight turns, however the graphics are great it was flawless and addicting, i wish there was more single player missions tho!!!

8.8/10

Edited by msnacks, 18 March 2007 - 05:07 AM.

#17 sid673

sid673

GMC Member

• 536 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:02 AM

Man, best game ever! But the whole trick metre thing really let it down for me.
Satan loves you.
Video games are made to escape reality, not to reflect on it.
Consider this before you make another game with a moral.

#18 Leif-Ericson

Leif-Ericson

GMC Member

• Validating
  • 450 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:08 AM

The music, the graphics, everything is perfect!

If only someone would create a server. Sadly not many people are on.

#19 BBaller

BBaller

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 820 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:51 AM

I've got a server going right now. Hmm, I wonder if it plays a sound effect when another player joins. That way I can have the game running at the spawn screen in the background while I work on other stuff, and the sound will alert me when a player joins.

k1eyl3.jpg

#20 metalhead1023

metalhead1023

GMC's only emo kid

• 612 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:54 AM

Why complain about the trick meter do you want a game with no challenge what so ever?

#21 mitchbbaker

mitchbbaker

GMC Member

• 397 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:25 AM

hey bballer i was about to join and you diaasapeared anyway great game everything is really good (bit laggy on my machine but i've only got 16mb of graphics)

#22 Armageddon

Armageddon

Earth, Wind & Fire

• 64 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:38 AM

Trick meter refills too slowly...

#23 Leif-Ericson

Leif-Ericson

GMC Member

• Validating
  • 450 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:33 AM

I set the top hiscore in Survival and Balloon Pop. It was a great game, however no-one was on.

However, the whole world felt like it was just a background. Though music is good, there needs to be cars and people on the island. Just to make it feel more lifelike.

#24 h3csc

h3csc

GMC Member

• 165 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 11:06 AM

wow, cant wait to download it! From screen shot, i will give it 9/10, will give the final score after i played!

#25 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:49 PM

Yay! First to reply! I loved watching this game come together, and now it has!
Hot Feature: Commercial quality; superb presentation.

One of my favourite GM games!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, I am glad you like it! It's been quite a long time coming, a lot more than I originally expected, but I guess that seems to be the nature of large-ish games for me.

Awesome. been waiting for this...

I havent gotten a chance to play it online but single player was fun and the graphics were awesome, nice textures and nice detail. Great job.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks! I know single player and multiplayer modes are both completely different beasts, but I tried to make the single player a bit more fun / engaging by adding the high score tables... hopefully it makes for continued enjoyment of the game as more people try to take the top spot.

I'll be adding a full high score list to the Reflect website sometime in the future, so if you didn't get one of the top 10 spots, you'll still be able to see where you fall.

WOW! great game. Best looking and most fun 3d game i seen made with GM.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks... I try. :)

Good job! Not in full 3D, but I like the vertical loop!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The game-play is technically not 3D, unless you count the vertical loop. But I think it makes it more fun and easy to pick up for people to play, so it's fine with me.

Finally, this is out.

This will make GM's multiplayer way better, and boost Reflect activity. But there is one Reflect game that will boost activity way more than this, but I bet everyone already knows that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I played a few matches with people yesterday, and though with 4+ players, the game is complete mayhem, it was alot of fun. you never knew who might swoop in and take your kill right at the last moment, or if you'd be able to escape to grab a power-up amidst a gigantic firefight. Good fun!

Reflect activity has already gone up somewhat, and Aces High is gaining ground on Evolites and Linked as more people play it. I was happy to see 4 people playing and one server created when I got up this morning!

Great to hear that this game is finally finished! Congratulations yet again on another great game Marty!

I enjoyed all the things in the game and thought everything from sprites, music, to the theme were all harmonized well together. You have outdone yourself yet again.

I cant wait to play people online, hopefully when my internet starts to run faster you will be seeing me on there.  :(

10/10

-Draco-

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well hope to see you online in the game sometime soon, Draco. Thanks!

I finally tried out the multiplayer with a few people, and it was amazing. It was a bit laggy, which was a little unexpected since I do have a good connection and have 0 lag on every game.(11-44 ping on battlefield 2)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are a few reasons for the lag, one being that the game uses TCP for everything, and no UDP. The other is that it sometimes seems like people are lagging, but the problem is that their computer is having a hard time running the game, so their plane moves slowly.

If your computer doesn't run the game well, and you want to have a fun experience online, I recommend that you turn frameskip on and terrain off in the options menu.

#26 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:51 PM

Sorry for double post, couldn't make one post with so many quotes!

I saw this in the WIP forum fred, and already then it was amazing. I can't download this atm but I will soon. I can barely wait to see what this game has in store.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WH00T!

I've been waiting for this day will edit with full review congrats fred on completion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Three Cheers! Go you cropdusters!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks guys, hope you like it, and I am glad if you did!

this looks amazing!!! The screenshots are very convincing cant wait to play it!!!

it wasnt quite as good as i thought, i dont like the idea of the "skill level" and it take skill to fire the gun and do tight turns, however the graphics are great it was flawless and addicting, i wish there was more single player missions tho!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Man, best game ever! But the whole trick metre thing really let it down for me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Trick meter refills too slowly...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Throughout the game's development, this has been an issue of controversy for me. Before, when the bullet firing didn't use the skill points, it wouldn't matter how well you could out-maneuver your opponent, he could always just counter your move and continue to shoot you. In fact, there seemed to be no reason to stop shooting when it was not tied to the skill points!

I think that this balances the play well. Should you keep firing? Should you conserve skill points in case you go on the defensive? Can you waste them and try to get a power-up? I know that often you will find yourself without points, and waiting for it to fill, but after you p[lay the game a while you get used to this and work around it. If it were not for this, people would constantly be doing loops, rolls, etc, and you could never hit them.

That said, I may add a new option for multiplayer games in the future that allows you to play with either infinite skill, or very quickly regenerating skill. For those of you who want to play this way, it might make the game more frantic than ever. :(

However, the whole world felt like it was just a background. Though music is good, there needs to be cars and people on the island. Just to make it feel more lifelike.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought about this as well, but there are a few issues involved in adding little things like this to the background. First, you have to make sure that they don't distract the player, since the real game is flying around shooting other planes, and doesn't really have much to do with the island below. Second, there are speed issues to consider. With a game like this, it's important to keep the number of objects as low as possible, or else you'll have problems keeping the game running at 60 FPS. Adding moving cars would require me to either make a path for streets for cars to know where to go, or to write some sort of car AI... something that really isn't necessary, and would just slow the game down.

I appreciate the criticism however... Maybe I could throw a boat or something here and there in the water in the future. :D

Anyway, thanks to everyone who has been playing and replying so far! I am grateful for the support, and I hope that you and everyone else who might try the game gets some fun out of it. :)

#27 cdm319

cdm319

C++ Programmer

• 885 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:39 PM

No joke, you should make a version with more skills and missions and sell it

Chris Matthews, Co-Leader of Digital X

#28 jobt

jobt

GMC Member

• 307 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:39 PM

I played the WIP version too, and this has become a great game! But I found this error:
Posted Image

I unzipped the game already but it still gives an error :(

Edited by jobt, 18 March 2007 - 07:39 PM.

#29 lum taylor

lum taylor

GMC Member

• 421 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:09 PM

Just played it, and I have to say, I was impressed. The graphics were stunning, the multiplayer was seamless, and overall, this is an awesome game! Keep up the great work! (oh, and I love the new reflect account idea, just found out about it)
Gamemaker 7.0 PRO

#30 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:15 PM

I played the WIP version too, and this has become a great game! But I found this error:
Posted Image

I unzipped the game already but it still gives an error :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You need to unzip the game and all of the files in the same directory structure as they are zipped in. If you don't do this, you will get errors where assets cannot be found.

I don't think there's any other reason why that could happen, but then, you never know.

#31 kovreu01

kovreu01

Gary Z

• 173 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:29 PM

I sort of agree with Lief. More island activity in future releases would improve the game beyond anything created with Game Maker yet.

#32 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:32 PM

The graphics in this game are very nice, but the game itself is... Lacking. It only has 3 game modes, all of which are quite boring.

I like how you added online, but online in for gm games make no since. We see them for a while, several people play online, then it stops. Also, I can never seem to get online to work. It always says I fail to connect.

You should have spent more time on single player. Maybe given it a campain. Right now it's a very small game...

Edited by STARFOXROX, 18 March 2007 - 09:33 PM.

Posted Image
Check out my website (above) for finished and upcoming games.
Solar Blue-The Mansion-God's Watch
Note: My name has changed. My old name was STARFOXROX.

#33 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:44 PM

The graphics in this game are very nice, but the game itself is... Lacking. It only has 3 game modes, all of which are quite boring.

Well, I find them fun, and challenging... as do many others who have been submitting high scores all yesterday and today for them. I cannot make any guarantees that you personally will not find the game boring.

I like how you added online, but online in for gm games make no since. We see them for a while, several people play online, then it stops. Also, I can never seem to get online to work. It always says I fail to connect.

I think adding online to GM games makes perfect sense. It's an advanced feature that many people enjoy, and games can be a lot more fun when you play them with other people. If people stop playing the game online, that's not my problem, because sooner or later, it happens to every game, GM or not. Just because people eventually stop using it does not mean that it's not worth adding.

Also, you probably fail to connect to people because they have not set up their router properly to host, or they have a firewall installed that prevents the necessary traffic from going through to their machine.

You should have spent more time on single player. Maybe given it a campain. Right now it's a very small game...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hehe, well, I make no guarantees on the size of my games. Sure, it's not a huge game, but aside from the music in the game, and the occasional help from friends, I am a one-man team. I don't have a huge budget to produce these games... I don't have any budget for them, actually. Not to mention the fact that I spend a good deal of my free time working on them, and then release them for free!

I think there is enough game here to satisfy people... it certainly isn't Half-Life 2 or Oblivion, but it gets the job done, and has a good time doing it. :)

#34 static

static

Gamecave Coder

• 691 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:48 PM

Oh freddy. Im going have to learn how to play this well and kick your butt. Great game. Your are the pioneer of gamemaker 3d

#35 Absolute Zer0

Absolute Zer0

GMC Member

• 339 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:26 AM

10/10!

#36 Freelancer Studios

Freelancer Studios

GMC Member

• 462 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:53 AM

Anyone wanna play an online death match with me? Oh, and AWSEOME game Freddy!

#37 kovreu01

kovreu01

Gary Z

• 173 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:21 AM

I\'ve got two ideas for additions to the game.

Map Editor
A place to edit and create your own maps.

Style Mode
A place where the user must complete as many tricks as possible within a time limit for points.

What do you guys think?

#38 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:28 AM

I\'ve got two ideas for additions to the game.

Map Editor
A place to edit and create your own maps.

Style Mode
A place where the user must complete as many tricks as possible within a time limit for points.

What do you guys think?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those are nice ideas, and though I don't plan on making any HUGE additions to the game at this point, I think it's funny that you mention a map editor, because I actually have made one, and put out a limited release on the Reflect Forum.

Maybe if I can clean up the tool a little bit and make sure there are not any huge problems with it, I'll put it out as a little extra for everyone to play around with. It only affects your local map, and not everyone who plays your games, but it can still be fun to play around with, and share your maps if you like. :)

EDIT: I'm also going to host a server for a while for anyone who's having trouble finding a game to play. I probably won't be playing in it (a guy's gotta eat), but all other 7 slots will be open for people to play. :)

Edited by FredFredrickson, 19 March 2007 - 02:34 AM.

#39 quicklearner

quicklearner

GMC Member

• 120 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:13 AM

So that's why your score slways showed as zeroand you never replied to messages! I was wondering about that.

I have a glitch, and two suggestions:

Here's the glitch: In the middle of the game, a powerup appeared on the radar. I went toward it, but I ran into the edge of the map.

Suggestion 1: Add a team battle mode. It would be an excellent addition to the game.

Suggestion 2: Add custom colors for the planes. Maybe like you did in HT3D.

None of these are nescessary, but just consider them.

This is a great game. My all time favorite. If I had to rate it, I would give it 20/10.
Add the Mutiplayer and custom colors, and it gets 30/10.
Some people think that making games takes zero disposition,
But they are wrong, as you will find, It's quite a challenging mission.
To make a game takes weeks and weeks, unless if it is bad,
glitchy, unappealing, with no fun to be had.
When working with Game Maker, Always persevere.
If you neglect to do so, You won't last long round here.
Don't throw in the towel, Even while resolve grows thinner,
And if you work just hard enough,
Your game will be a winner.

#40 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:06 AM

Super d00per sweet game. Now I can be all like "*Bang* *Bang* Yay! I shot down the Death Star!" Just joking anyway very fun game. I was thinking you could add levels to do or something.
"This is Miller, he's fifteen years old. Miller is uh, probably the most rock and roll member of our crew.
He has seven wives and fiftythree children, and uh, he takes cocaine for breakfast, crack for lunch, and heroin for dinner."

-Chris Martin

#41 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:51 AM

Saw this up on the Eo site yesterday and gave it go. It's certainly well presented and I'm sure it'll have an ever growing legion of fans but I can't say it sustained my interest for long. It's just not got enough action for my tastes and I spent most of the time circling around waiting to be able to shoot again. Didn't feel any tension or excitement which is what I generally want from a shooting game. Found a couple of minor things annoying like having to press up and down keys on the mode select screen when the buttons are clearly on a horizontal plane and I had a few weird sound issues but I noticed them last night when playing a non-GM game so that might just be my sound device playing up. Also a couple of points during the tutorial levels when flying through hoops (something I've always hated in flying games personally) a couple of times my loop or barrel roll didn't seem to register and the hoop needed to be flown through again which was a bit annoying as I had to then fly back and try again, wasting time.

Anyways it does show an impressive use of 3D in GM from someone who actually knows what they're doing and has the design capabilites to make something with a relatively low poly count look attractive and appealing. It reminded me of a couple of N64 games such as Pilotwings (but with less headache inducing blurryness than that old Nintendo). The barrel rolls reminded me greatly of StarFox 64 (best game on the N64 as far as I'm concerned), as did the loop-the-loop which, with the biplane object, also brought back memories of the old Capcom shoot 'em ups from the 1941 series which is a good thing.

I'm not a big fan of online gaming, far preferring games that allow multiple players on one machine, but if I have a future project needing such gameplay modes I may want to check out that whole Reflect account thing some more.

A quality, well presented game just not something I would play much myself.

#42 ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

Pwner of barcodes

• GMC Member
  • 2410 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:05 PM

The game doesn't feel real since there is a fixed altitude...

It's really great graphic wise, anyways.
I've moved away from GM. If you want to contact me, feel free to email ryanwebdev@gmail.com.

Thanks,
Ryan.

#43 Daniel-Dane

Daniel-Dane

GMC Member

• 3581 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:09 PM

By the time I've downloaded this I will have to shave again. I felt I had a 14.4!

Just one question, why does it say 4 2 online and 1 server.

Players Logged Into Games

CAtor9 (Aces High Over Verlor Island) 12:51 PM, Mar 19th
snow (Aces High Over Verlor Island) 12:51 PM, Mar 19th

Server List

Aces High Over Verlor Island hosted by snow [ 4 / 8 ]12:51 PM, Mar 19th

What does the 4/8 part mean?

EDIT:
By the time I've posted this I realize you might have some weird updating system.

Edited by Daniel-Dane, 19 March 2007 - 08:10 PM.

#44 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:25 PM

I'm not a big fan of online gaming, far preferring games that allow multiple players on one machine, but if I have a future project needing such gameplay modes I may want to check out that whole Reflect account thing some more.

A quality, well presented game just not something I would play much myself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for trying, and for the compliments, Wolverine. I understand that the game isn't for everyone, but I do appreciate the fair review. Let me know when you're ready to learn more about how the system works, and what you'll need! :)

The game doesn't feel real since there is a fixed altitude...

It's really great graphic wise, anyways.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I assure you, the game is real. It's there, man... it exists.

In order to make the game more appealing to people (and more appealing to me to code), I decided not to include shifts in altitude. It was never meant to be an accurate flight-sim. It is what it is.

By the time I've downloaded this I will have to shave again. I felt I had a 14.4!

Just one question, why does it say 4 2 online and 1 server.

Players Logged Into Games

CAtor9 (Aces High Over Verlor Island) 12:51 PM, Mar 19th
snow (Aces High Over Verlor Island) 12:51 PM, Mar 19th

Server List

Aces High Over Verlor Island hosted by snow [ 4 / 8 ]12:51 PM, Mar 19th

What does the 4/8 part mean?

EDIT:
By the time I've posted this I realize you might have some weird updating system.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The [4/8] is the number of players in the game and number of max players in the game. Sometimes this number can get a little "off" because people's internet connections won't allow the game to accurately report their server or player status.

The server isn't so slow that you should have to shave twice during one download though... it's usually nice and quick! :P

#45 Daniel-Dane

Daniel-Dane

GMC Member

• 3581 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:31 PM

You should maybe consider a mirror or two (so can one can get a max shave xD).
Yeah, well, this version (in opposite to the WIP) never prompted my firewall.
When I was validated it wanted me to download an update, all that happened was the game closed.

Nice game so far :).

#46 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:37 PM

Nobody else has had a problem with it, but you may need to open up your firewall for the game for it to function correctly, as it does access the internet to check for updates, and obviously to validate and use your account.

#47 Daniel-Dane

Daniel-Dane

GMC Member

• 3581 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:48 PM

It did validate correctly, but then afterwards it wanted me to update.
Gotta check again though.

EDIT:
Works now, just had to close/open it. I like the clouds :).

Edited by Daniel-Dane, 19 March 2007 - 08:50 PM.

#48 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:50 PM

Thanks for trying, and for the compliments, Wolverine.  I understand that the game isn't for everyone, but I do appreciate the fair review.  Let me know when you're ready to learn more about how the system works, and what you'll need!  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, by the way nice work adding it to the Eo site. Had hoped to have seen ya put up Hovertank on there ages ago when you first joined, so glad to see you put something up even if it wasn't HT3D. Adds more to the diversity of that Eo library. Even just going through the first page (one with most recent additions) ya got sorta puzzly game, an action rpg, an arcade shoot 'em up, an action rts and now a 3D multiplayer arena shooter. Variety is good :P

Oh yeah looking forward to HT3D 2. Even though 3D and online games ain't my thing like I already said I really did enjoy the first game and the screens of the new one do look great. Even though I'm more a 2D guy I do wish I had some of your 3D GM skill even just to do a remake of an old Amiga favorite of mine that seemingly few people have ever heard of...

Edited by Wolverine, 19 March 2007 - 08:50 PM.

#49 Armageddon

Armageddon

Earth, Wind & Fire

• 64 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:51 PM

Don't we all wish that?

#50 Daniel-Dane

Daniel-Dane

GMC Member

• 3581 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:30 PM

Well, one of the rings in the backroll part of the tutorial bugged.
The game slows noticeably down when there are two enemies.
I killed them all five in less than 2 minutes = 1 Reflect coin or something for me -- whatever that is...