Blijbol

Happy business

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:54 PM

Blijbol Snake 2
Including Maze Editor

Introduction
This version of the well-known Snake game is very interesting. It features ten mazes, bonus items, one-way streets, multiple difficulty levels, highscore tables, user-friendly menus and joystick support. Of course you can also play without maze and there's a maze editor to create custom mazes with. Music and sound effects are included, but can be turned off via the options menu. Additionally, the game even contains an option to play in black and white.

Screenshots
Posted Image Posted Image

For download links, more screenshots etc. go to:
http://games.blijbol.nl/pc/snake

Other info
System requirements: Pentium PC running Windows 98SE/NT/2000/Me/XP/Vista/7 with DirectX 8.0 or later installed, DirectX 8 (or later) compatible graphics card with at least 16 MB of memory (32 MB on Windows Vista), DirectX 8 compatible sound card, at least 16-bit colour depth, 5.3 MB free disk space
Version: 2.1

Edited by Blijbol, 23 July 2012 - 02:49 PM.

Blijbol OnScore 2 Extend your games with online highscore lists! New version!

Joystick OEM Name DLL Controller name as in Control Panel.
Registry Reader DLL Full read access to the Windows Registry.
Game Appearance Extension Control the game window and taskbar button in detail!
INI Data Structure Extension Much better than GM's INI functions.

Games and software: Slimeball Deluxe (digital arcade volleyball) Blijbol Snake 2 (traditional snake including a Maze Editor) Flood (try to escape from the water) Blijbol Memory (find the pairs) Game Maker Quiz (test your GM knowledge) More at Games.Blijbol.nl and Software.blijbol.nl
My website: Blijbol.nl (English/Dutch) | User of Game Maker 7.0 Pro | Moderator of the Dutch Game Maker Community

#2 Mr. Random Man

Mr. Random Man

The Real Slim Shorty

• 362 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:47 PM

Posted Image

Interesting...The gameplay was pretty cool except for the speed of the snake. The graphics were boring and need improvement. I couldn't even test the Level Editor. It loaded and nothing else happened. The mazes were cool and I liked how you could use the walls to your advantage instead of having them kill you. The game wasn't very addictive. It's more like a game to play when you are bored.

Your GC rating?
Posted Image 7/10

Pretty cool. Definetely worth playing.

#3 Blijbol

Blijbol

Happy business

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:15 PM

I uploaded a new version 2.0a, since the file Snake 2.exe from Snake2_98SE-XP.zip appeared to be outdated. This could throw in an error when reaching a highscore. (thanks to RJB for reporting) In the new version this is fixed, but manually creating a folder called Scores in the game directory also addresses the problem. Additionally I turned on Display error messages in the Vista packages, which was accidentally turned off. If everything works correctly there's no need to update.

I couldn't even test the Level Editor. It loaded and nothing else happened.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could you please tell me which package you downloaded (Installer or Zip) and what operating system you are using (Vista or non-Vista). I didn't receive any other complaints about the editor. Did it just close right after the loading screen, or did you also see a short glimp of the editor window?

About your other points. The graphics are simplistic to give the game a retro look. I also understand this is not a game to play 24/7.

Edited by Blijbol, 10 March 2007 - 11:17 PM.

Games and software: Slimeball Deluxe (digital arcade volleyball) Blijbol Snake 2 (traditional snake including a Maze Editor) Flood (try to escape from the water) Blijbol Memory (find the pairs) Game Maker Quiz (test your GM knowledge) More at Games.Blijbol.nl and Software.blijbol.nl
My website: Blijbol.nl (English/Dutch) | User of Game Maker 7.0 Pro | Moderator of the Dutch Game Maker Community

#4 gurilazs

gurilazs

GMC Member

• 385 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:18 PM

This is nice I liked and Enjoyed it. :)
Instant File Upload: http://upload.shoutsomething.com

#5 Mr. Random Man

Mr. Random Man

The Real Slim Shorty

• 362 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 02:27 AM

I downloaded the zip, I am running on Vista, and it just closed right after the loading screen without letting me get a glimpse of it.

#6 Blijbol

Blijbol

Happy business

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:34 PM

Released version 2.0c. Turning the background music off and back on on Windows 98SE-XP gives no longer an error message. The music now also goes on again after turning it off and back on. The game also doesn't crash anymore if the snake fills up the whole screen. The uninstaller now also deletes custom mazes.

To Mr. Random Man: I seriously don't know what caused this. I asked someone else to test the editor on Vista, and it worked perfectly for him.

#7 Mikkelet

Mikkelet

Moon-Games

• GMC Member
  • 366 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:58 PM

let me say it like this: if I didn't know that it was made in GameMaker then I wouldn't believe it was made in GameMaker, WOW and with editor and all that.
;) :D

#8 Blijbol

Blijbol

Happy business

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:08 PM

New version 2.0d
I fixed a bug in the joystick support: it now not only works in the menu, but also in the game itself. Also the Vista edition and the non-Vista edition are now merged.

#9 Blijbol

Blijbol

Happy business

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

New version 2.1
Version 2.1 includes better graphics at higher resolutions and three challenging new mazes.