27 replies to this topic

#1 Shaltif

Shaltif

The Audio Master

• Retired Staff
  • 1185 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:29 PM

Extension Creations Forum Rules

Please read over the following rules before posting a topic. Any topic posted in this section that fails to comply with these rules will be deleted.

Posting Guidelines

• Only topics which showcase a Game Maker Extension (GEX) may be posted here. All other topics of discussion will be removed. Extensions must extend GM's capability beyond the standard built-in functions. Extensions that simply duplicate existing GM functions will be removed.
  • All topics require a download link to the creation they are showcasing. Any creation which requires a user to contact the creator via e-mail, Personal Messager or other similar means are not allowed.
  • All extension downloads must include a .gex version. I have seen some extensions in the forms of EXE's, these will not be allowed. You may have the .gex file in a archive, like zip.
  • If an Extension creation requires the use of other Extensions or creations, this must be specified in the starting post of the topic. For example, if you make an Extension that uses Mark's Printer Extension, you must make this clear in your topic. It is also HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you link to this required creation when applicable.
  • Porting or converting discussions are NOT allowed. This includes, but is not limited to, porting GM Games, converting GML, or using GameMaker on platforms it does not natively support.
  • Creations that alter the behavior of GameMaker directly are NOT allowed. This includes tool bars, embedded windows, memory alteration, etc.

STRICTLY Forbidden Areas of Discusion

• Prank programs (harmless or not)
  • Disabling the Start Menu, TaskManager, CTRL+ALT+DELETE, CMD+OPT+ESC, etc.
  • Shells (Sub-OS programs)
  • File management programs
  • Applications that use or access email, chat networks (eg. AIM, MSN, IRC), telephone networks (eg. SMS), or forums
  • Removal tools for spyware / viruses / cookies, or pop-up blockers
  • Preventing or forcing Log Off, Shut Down, or Restart
  • Applications that alter the operating system, system files, or registry settings
  • Programs that install software to automatically start for any reason
  • Programs that hide themselves when they run
  • Key loggers, screen loggers, activity monitors, or any other form of surveillance
  • Applications that automatically refresh web pages
...and any other project or topic the staff considers harmful.

See this linked topic for a full list of projects which are not allowed.

This topic has been left open so that other users can post their "FAQ" about extending GameMaker. When a FAQ is posted, staff will determine if it should be appended to the existing list and the post will be removed.

DO NOT POST QUESTIONS in this topic, as they will NOT be answered. However, any question about the rules/FAQ itself are welcome.

#2 MindWorX

MindWorX

GMC Member

• 155 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:57 PM

When creating an extension, use the search function and see if there's an extension that does what you're trying to do already, and if you think that the extension you found lacks a little something, see if you can contact the author and get him to add it.

Reason i think we should add this, there's already two color exts, after only 3 days.

#3 SquareWheel

SquareWheel

Square Wheel Games

• 851 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:37 AM

I think Rule 5 & 6 are a little harsh. That is shutting down a lot of great looking projects.

#4 Daniel-Dane

Daniel-Dane

GMC Member

• 3581 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:58 PM

Wait a minute? Is embedding windows into Game Maker not allowed any more? Why not?

#5 Shaltif

Shaltif

The Audio Master

• Retired Staff
  • 1185 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:50 PM

I think Rule 5 & 6 are a little harsh.  That is shutting down a lot of great looking projects.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Possibly, but this section of the forum is devoted to 'extending Game Maker', not try to port it or alter the editor's GUI (although that last point could probably be argued).

Rule 5's inclusion is to avoid pointless discussions or half-baked creations which end up going no-where (the ONLY exception to this was G-Java, which actually was getting somewhere). We want to highlight the Extensions, not 'run GML in C' type projects. Mark has also stated that he doesn't want these type of creations to exist, and considering this is the official forum, I think it's best we not allow them to be showcased.

Rule 6 is mainly to avoid discussion about altering Game Maker's editor. This section is devoted to creations that allow GM programmers to enhance their created games. Not so GM can have a google tool bar included in the interface.

Wait a minute? Is embedding windows into Game Maker not allowed any more? Why not?

Embedding windows in Game Maker games are fine. Trying to make plugins or modifications for the Game Maker editor are not.

~Brandon

#6 Daniel-Dane

Daniel-Dane

GMC Member

• 3581 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:16 PM

Alright, thanks for clearing that up. Makes more sense now.

#7 bendodge

bendodge

File Host

• GMC Member
  • 1237 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:50 PM

Why are email projects banned? I can see good reasons for the others, but not for banning email extensions.

#8 Shaltif

Shaltif

The Audio Master

• Retired Staff
  • 1185 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:41 AM

Why are email projects banned? I can see good reasons for the others, but not for banning email extensions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Originally it wasn't on the list, but a few users found methods of using the e-mail support in manners other than for game development (mass spam, phishing, etc). If you really want to e-mail someone, use one of the many e-mail clients already available.

There was only one case where e-mailing in Game Maker would have been useful, and that was so when a game had an error, it could send the related error back to the developer (along with any other personal information...). Unfortunately, the cons outweigh the pros. If you really want that support, code it yourself, but don't distribute it here.

~Brandon

#9 dhuyd

dhuyd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 263 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 17 March 2007 - 04:04 AM

would adding the lib maker and extension maker be allowed since it's not changing the characteristics of game maker it's just providing quick access to those programs just like you can access the forum directly from game maker as a quick access? (maby not directly from the toolbar but you get the point)

Edited by dhuyd, 17 March 2007 - 04:17 PM.

#10 edh649

edh649

GMC Member

• 59 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:53 AM

i have found that lots of the gex. extension files don't have any action buttons at all in them-all the gm examples are just coding not any action buttons!!!

because of this i am wondering if you could make a rule that illustrates that all gex. files have to have action buttons in?

#11 Yourself

Yourself

The Ultimate Pronoun

• Retired Staff
  • 7352 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:54 AM

because of this i am wondering if you could make a rule that illustrates that all gex. files have to have action buttons in?

No they don't.

#12 X-tra Fear

X-tra Fear

Behemoth Creator

• GMC Member
  • 430 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:52 PM

i have found that lots of the gex. extension files don't have any action buttons at all in them-all the gm examples are just coding not any action buttons!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok... i thought it was just in my topic... but actually, ur just showing ur IQ to the mods now...

SOME OF US DONT WANT TO MAKE ACTION LIBRARYS FOR OUR EXTENSIONS!!!
SOME OF THEM ARE TO HARD TO MAKE LIBRARYS FOR!

#13 Relinquished

Relinquished

GMC Member

• 265 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:04 PM

What are action buttons? I thought there were action libraries.

#14 Daniel-Dane

Daniel-Dane

GMC Member

• 3581 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:21 PM

Another way to say D&D/DnD/Drag and Drop.

#15 Uzaki

Uzaki

GMC Member

• 409 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:44 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I'm definitely not surprised, do they have to have an action library? Why would you want to force all extensions to have an action library just to please n00bs? Extensions are primarily made for scripts and what not, not action libraries... Action libraries take arduous time to make, just so that newbs who probably don't even know what they are doing can use their advanced functions? I saw you pointlessly rant in the Ultima 3D Reloaded topic, you probably wouldn't understand how to use it even with an action library...

I suggest that you:
1) quit complaining and don't rant,
2) learn GML,
3) don't use more than 1 punctuation mark for reasons that are well...,
4) do all of the above...

Edited by Uzaki, 02 June 2007 - 09:50 PM.

#16 mrsmes

mrsmes

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1320 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:16 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I'm definitely not surprised, do they have to have an action library? Why would you want to force all extensions to have an action library just to please n00bs? Extensions are primarily made for scripts and what not, not action libraries... Action libraries take arduous time to make, just so that newbs who probably don't even know what they are doing can use their advanced functions? I saw you pointlessly rant in the Ultima 3D Reloaded topic, you probably wouldn't understand how to use it even with an action library...

I suggest that you:
1) quit complaining and don't rant,
2) learn GML,
3) don't use more than 1 punctuation mark for reasons that are well...,
4) do all of the above...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

rule 5 is to harsh because then you can't make a console and make it so you can play it on your console wich would be great i think and any way that was my idea or atleast make a maker maker so i can make a maker to make console games with and tycoon games with.

#17 Uzaki

Uzaki

GMC Member

• 409 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 12:27 PM

^That post^
Why did you quote my post? Also, I didn't understand what you're trying to say, please:
1) don't write run-on sentences (sentences that are just TOO long),
2) write in proper English.

#18 jobro

jobro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1265 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:47 AM

The email subject is fully understandable, and utterly useless at the same time. Using GM to send email is a good way but not spaming users with sh*t.

JoBro Media has in it's policy whether it is a program, a game, a music instrument or a different binary to allways request that the user fills in it's emailadress and send a confirmation email from the customer who tries it so I can help the end users out if they're discovering a fatal bug in my binaries. But since there is an issue with email extensions then I'm not gonna create this extension and hand it out, but I will create the extension for my own needs. JoBro Media's credibility depends on this. Period.

#19 Daniel-Dane

Daniel-Dane

GMC Member

• 3581 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:31 PM

Well, just use the PHP function mail(). Not hard.

#20 jack1993jack

jack1993jack

GMC Member

• 231 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:13 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not all have to have action buttons!!!!

He came and ranted in my topic too... :whistle:

#21 Briana83

Briana83

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:48 PM

Rule 5 RUINED a great project! I liked being able to have game applets without needing to know a complicated language like java!

GJava was great and the new independent versions of things have me lost.

I discovered it, realized how great it was for the purposes of freely sharing my games, and soon after Mark gave the project up to this company,

and ...

CRASH!

BANG!

This program became next to useless for me.

WAIT!

I see something thsat was not on this site when I gave up...

You can embed your games?

Does this mean only Windows users can play them though? I have Windows but have considered casually using Linux.

No Mac. Bad Mac.

Edited by Briana83, 27 January 2009 - 03:30 AM.

#22 booming

booming

GMC Member

• 129 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:05 AM

This is probably an unecessary suggestion, sorry if it is.
i had a virus once that for some reason made it so that i couldnt hibernate my computer anymore.
it was really annoying.
in rule #3 i think you should add hibernate to the list of things to not prevent or force.

#23 Thaudal

Thaudal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 359 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:44 AM

This may come off as a stupid question, but I have to ask. I've seen a lot of topics with great extentions, but no information about copyrights. Is there a general rule for .gex files, even the usermade ones, that automatically makes them "freeware" when published? Or can the creators of them at any time take back that they allowed other people to use their extensions?

I know that this may seem a bit irrelevant, but before I begin to rely too much on great usermade extensions, I'd like to know how the copyright stuff in this area works. If it's individually up to the creator, or if there is another standard.

Any info would be appreciated.

#24 1dinglenuts1

1dinglenuts1

GMC Member

• 99 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:15 AM

in accordance with rule 5, is that something that should be followed thoughout the whole GMC?
if so, mark broke da rulez. u should ban him 4 life, he did something good for macs, thats bad, very bad.
also however, i think rule 5 sux butt

#25 charchilp

charchilp

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:29 AM

I discovered it, realized how great it was for the purposes of freely sharing my games, and soon after Mark gave the project up to this company,

SEO Blog

Edited by charchilp, 04 April 2010 - 09:29 AM.

#26 Fat Kid In Your Fridge

Fat Kid In Your Fridge

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:50 PM

5. All porting or converting discussions, be it software or hardware, are NOT allowed. This includes, but not limited to, trying to port any Game Maker Games, converting the GML language, or using Game Maker on another platform.

Does this also mean extensions that convert image files (like bmp) to other image files (like jpg)? I was just wondering, cuz I want to make some sort of image converter or drawing + converting program.

#27 jobro

jobro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1265 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:45 AM

When it comes to action buttons I can understand if people don't care to provide a library for their extensions, some extensions doesn't even need an action library. But all extensions needs a proper written help file. Some has, but many doesn't even have a decent text file explaining the basics. That's a rule that needs to be added. That each expansion must be completed with a guide complete with examples how to use it.

#28 Master Xilo

Master Xilo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 388 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

Extensions that simply duplicate existing GM functions will be removed.

Why? Would you remove an extension that does the same as some game maker functionality but like 100 times faster? I'd remove that statement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users