• 41 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:23 AM

File Size: 4mbs [latest version]
GM Version: GM6
Screen Resolution: 1024 x 480 - Fullscreen - no exceptions -
Changes Screen Resolution: No.

Posted Image

About
Killer Worm II, A sequel to a game I created in April 2006.
The game became very popular within certain communities, and they all thought that it was a solid concept which could go far.

Eventually, I no longer liked the original Killer Worm, it felt bland, uninteresting, but I did like the concept, so I decided to go a few steps further.
That is where Killer Worm II comes in.

Killer Worm 1's achievements are:

- 1st place in a gaming magazine's Game.dev competition..
- Held a top 21 spot at Experimental Gameplay Project for 2+ months.

Notes

I'll try to write an in-depth read me as soon as possible, but for now I'll go over the basics in this thread:

Movement
This is quite easy to grasp, but also takes awhile to get used to.
A technical explination:
There are 2 cursors, a cursor which is always on the ground, this cursor defines where the worm jumps from. Right click changes direction, from left to right.

The other cursor, which is always in the air, and I consider to be the main cursor, is what the worm jumps towards when it is created, so there is quite alot of freedom in this regard. It allows you to change the height which your worm attempts to jump.

Gameplay
The goal of the game, is to cause as much chaos and mayhem as possible, to destroy and kill as many humans and vehicles as possible.
This is a very basic concept, but it can be very rewarding to see the chaos you have created. :)

As time passes, more units will appear, technology will advance, basically, it gets harder as time passes from new technology and units.

Technical Features
This is currently the best part of the game. It has many awesome effects.
This includes:

- Full day/night cycle, with all of the 4 main seasons cycling too.

- Dynamic Weather

Including many more interesting effects which cannot really be described.

Posted Image

Edited by Unc1354m, 10 May 2007 - 07:07 PM.

#2 professir

professir

GMC Member

• 32 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:30 AM

First of all- put some screenshots up and youll get plenty more downloads. A lot of people do not download without.

I, on the other hand, had a little go at the game and I must say that it was pretty good. Definately a great start.

Great things:
-Music was very fitting
-Seasons were a nice addition
-Very original gameplay

All of the above items were very tight. Polished.

Some things that can be improved:
-Hud. It was a bit too cluttered. While I understand this is still WIP and you had debug stuff up there too, try to put together a tight looking hud. There is a lot of information to be displayed, so try to organize it better. Seasons and year could fit together, score and combo could be in the same area, age and hunger could be in another section, etc etc.
-Worm sprite. Its too bland... your main character should be interesting, and (if it doesnt already) it should change aesthetically as well as in size. When we 'grow up' the worm should reflect that change in more than just size.
-Maybe involve us more in the game by giving us important information faster... for instance, have a combo multiplier pop up on screen in the event of a combo. For instance, as soon as I eat 2 humans, have it say "x2" then x3 then x4, and have each multiplier increase in size. So when we get that 16x combo, its more rewarding. As it is now, I didnt even know that I was getting combo's untill I played for a while.
-Also, the view seems pulled back too far. While Im not sure how big the worm can actually get, the action seems too far away. Maybe the tanks/humans were too small. Regardless, Im sure this would be hard to change now. Maybe have it start up close when your a hatchling, then as you grow, you can pull the view back.

Keep it up! Its looking great so far!

#3 Indecom4000

Indecom4000

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1478 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:02 AM

this will be compared to another of the same name, which will probably not help ur ratings. it is okay but the graphics and controls need work to be comfortable.

Edited by Indecom4000, 09 February 2007 - 04:06 AM.

#4 Games

Games

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 2968 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:39 AM

I'd love to play, but the download link is broken. Sorry :)

#5 Sektor_Z

Sektor_Z

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1671 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:08 PM

Just saying "I had success with the previous game" wouldnt really get many people to download without a screenie. But I remember the first one.

The first one was much better, you've removed the fun in this one - which was, taking full control over the worm and jumping around in any way possible. Now it's more complicated and yet not really fun. Do whatever you want but the one thing that was mint and original in the first game, is not in this one.

#6 Unc1354m

Unc1354m

GMC Member

• 41 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:40 PM

New version up
While this new release does not improve upon the gameplay(Which is planned), sadly, I went a bit crazy with aesthetics and effects again. :wacko:

So now, there is a day/night cycle, with dynamic[ish] weather.
Basically there are several weather types, which is heavily affected by the current season.

Along with this, I improved the combo system heavily, it is alot simpler now, yet works alot better. :)

Watch out for future releases.

Download

[original thread updated aswell]

#7 Unc1354m

Unc1354m

GMC Member

• 41 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:47 PM

Made many new improvements since the earlier release, so if you downloaded awhile ago, get the latest version. :P

#8 Black-Hawk

Black-Hawk

GMC Member

• 505 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:25 AM

very very nice game

it was very well polished and the graphics fit perefectly

#9 Unc1354m

Unc1354m

GMC Member

• 41 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:17 AM

very very nice game

it was very well polished and the graphics fit perefectly

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the reply. :P

The graphics are something I have been placing all of my effort into recently, I have always been obsessed with creating pretty effects which suit the game. :(
ALthough I am running out of ideas for graphical effects...
ANy suggestions would be a great help.

#10 Unc1354m

Unc1354m

GMC Member

• 41 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:07 PM

Large update uploaded.

Please download and give me some feedback.
Would be highly appreciated. ;)

[Download from original link for the new version, sorry for the size inflation]

#11 Unc1354m

Unc1354m

GMC Member

• 41 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:14 PM

Uploaded another update.
This one adds alot more polish, and a few new things. :D

Give it a try.

#12 Unc1354m

Unc1354m

GMC Member

• 41 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:49 PM

Posted Image

So what is this image, you ask?

Somebody suggested a new mode today, and I quicly drew some concept art. :(

I was wondering how enthusiastic people would be to have this added as a game mode?

I really do like the idea of defending yourself in such a way, I may begin to implement it as soon as the current map won't need any more editing/

#13 Unc1354m

Unc1354m

GMC Member

• 41 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:05 PM

New version up

#14 Unc1354m

Unc1354m

GMC Member

• 41 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 04:12 PM

Bug fix update released

#15 Igl00

Igl00

GMC Member

• 327 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:54 PM

Is this a edit of the GM6-file for "Death Worm" made by JTR, or did you actually made whole this game yourself?

#16 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:00 PM

Is this a edit of the GM6-file for "Death Worm" made by JTR, or did you actually made whole this game yourself?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Baka.
JTR didn't release the gm6 for his game.
This game also has entirely different gameplay compared to deathworm.
Did you actually try both?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users