The Puppeteer

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Time Wraith

Time Wraith

GMC Member

• 46 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:46 PM

Please note that The Puppeteer was originally intended to constitute an illustration of a philosophical concept, not a source of entertainment.

In this allegorical puzzle and action game, you assume the role of a mysterious being endowed with psychic abilities. Your sole objective is to escape from the prison in which you are being held captive. Use the W, A, S and D keys to navigate the various menus, and press Enter or Space to confirm your selections. All other controls are explained in the game's help section.

Enjoy! <_<

NB: Version 1.5 is available as of the 11th of May.

Link to .zip file (2.7 MB)

Screenshot #1
Screenshot #2

Edited by Time Wraith, 01 October 2007 - 05:54 PM.

#2 Noir

Noir

GMC Member

• 590 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:10 PM

This is a nice game, the controls are not annoying, the music fits, and the game plays well. And, as far as I've seen, it's bug free. It also has an interesting concept of psychic powers. I give it 8.5/10.

Edited by Infiltration Gaming, 30 January 2007 - 05:25 PM.

#3 cheese_snaps

cheese_snaps

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:47 PM

this is a really solid game. gameplay is good although it could get repetitive if you dont add more stuff later on(I only made it past the second boss so far)
the music is nice, it fits. Like i said everything seems really solid, its a well made enjoyable game. as for a rating, I give it a

30 out of 37.8

#4 gameguider

gameguider

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:54 PM

A really enjoyable game. I played it a few days ago, the graphics are fantastic, and the smooth gameplay is great as well. Great work!

#5 jls900

jls900

Crazy zebra

• 384 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 02:50 PM

I just beat the game and i couldnt figure out why this isnt getting more attention.

It was a very smooth engine, very interesting story and concept, the graphics all fit, it had online play which i wasnt able to try out, i liked the music alot too. its main downside was it was short.

even though it was short, i still give it a 9/10. Original, everything fit together, and it was just plain fun.

#6 DMEISTER

DMEISTER

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2692 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 02:59 PM

I just beat the game and i couldnt figure out why this isnt getting more attention.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Er .... does this make it any clearer? :

'Please note that The Puppeteer was originally intended to constitute an illustration of a philosophical concept, not a source of entertainment.'

#7 Kapser

Kapser

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1645 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:48 PM

Very nice game. I like the concept pretty much. I couldnt get passed the flying guy that is shielded tho.

'Please note that The Puppeteer was originally intended to constitute an illustration of a philosophical concept, not a source of entertainment.'

Yes, but it's a game and it's entertaining. The storytelling only adds to the gameplay.

#8 edmunn

edmunn

GMC Member

• 1298 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:18 PM

Very nice concept, and a well developed game, this does deserve more attention.
graphics:8/10
sound:8/10
sameplay:10/10
originality:10/10

be proud,
~edmunn

Posted Image
Please PM / Email your suggestions!

15.4" Apple MacBook Pro Late 08', 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, SSD
Mac OS X Lion

:)

#9 P4r4digm

P4r4digm

GMC Member

• 111 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:50 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps because these are the GM forums and this game isn't a pokemon clone or topdown shooter?

<_<

Actually, this game is very well done. Surprisingly I can't really find much of anything to haggle you about. Excellent work. The graphics are alright but the true brilliance behind the game is the fact that the very unique gameplay aspects were flawlessly implented. This game is akin to GM greats such as Seiklus and Jumper. Perhaps it could use a bit of finetuning to ensure perfection, but it is an excellent achievement either way.

There you have it folks, I gave a completely positive review..miracles can happen

Edited by P4r4digm, 31 January 2007 - 10:58 PM.

#10 BlaXun

BlaXun

Slime Online Creator

• GMC Member
  • 2750 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:02 PM

A pretty cool game.
The gameplay is really nice aswell as the music and soundeffects, but the graphics get boring after a time.
Hope to see levels in the outside where you could take the mind of small animals to get through holes to activate a switch for example ^-^

iBNKRoX.png

#11 Mrpete

Mrpete

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:15 PM

This is a fun game, for this type of play. I too, don't understand WHY this-and other games aren't getting objective replies. I see thousands of views on puzzle games and the like, but not on these or others(Heck, lately i've been having great luck at 64digits with my last release "The Great Train Robbery"). You did good with this one Wraith. This reminds me of the classic platforms I played on the c64.

KEEP IT UP!:)

#12 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:11 PM

This is a fun game, for this type of play.  I too, don't understand WHY this-and other games aren't getting objective replies.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I completely agree. Bad games get more replies than the good games.

Also, this game is really good! While you thought you were doing the puppeting, you were the puppet all along.

Edited by STARFOXROX, 03 February 2007 - 10:12 PM.

Posted Image
Check out my website (above) for finished and upcoming games.
Solar Blue-The Mansion-God's Watch
Note: My name has changed. My old name was STARFOXROX.

#13 huh?

huh?

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 430 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:45 AM

well from what ive played this is a great game id say 10/10 =]

Edited by huh?, 04 February 2007 - 09:46 AM.

#14 Xplosion72

Xplosion72

The Xplosion

• 146 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:37 AM

This is awesome I hope it wins cagematch it has my vote,I couldnt understand how to get past the flying shield robot -.-

#15 mitchbbaker

mitchbbaker

GMC Member

• 397 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:57 AM

really good though a few things are unobvious its fun figuing them out good job

#16 SenakuJin

SenakuJin

GMC Member

• 2765 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 12:30 PM

Couldn't get past the guy w/ the sheild, but i like the game.. some clues would be helpful though.

EDIT: Beat it, not bad.. not bad.. though i was able to go through the bared door on one level.. is that a glitch?

Edited by SenakuJin, 04 February 2007 - 12:45 PM.

#17 Mr.Kio

Mr.Kio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 520 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:50 PM

I love the game, but pleas, I beg you add:
Fullscreen
I can't get past the shielded flying guy becous of the lack of info. Otherwise then that, the game goes along really well, and the spelling is superb.
Help me with the shield guy and I'll rate!

EDIT: STARFOX, thank you for spoiling the end you jerk.

Edited by Mr.Kio, 04 February 2007 - 01:54 PM.

#18 Balthazar

Balthazar

GMC Member

• 170 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 04:38 PM

Hm...i got stuck on the second boss, cos it stuck there!
He (the puppeteer) said __ _______ _____ _ ____ ________ ___ (i wont write it down, it could ruin it for others).
and then it didn't froze or something what there happened was...nothing happened, just nothing, i kept pressing space but. no.
wth is that?

#19 Time Wraith

Time Wraith

GMC Member

• 46 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 05:16 PM

I would like to thank all of you for your positive and encouraging feedback.

SenakuJin and Balthazar, I have eliminated the two glitches that you discovered and modified the contents of the .zip file. Balthazar, do bear in mind, however, that one can also advance through dialogue by pressing Enter.

Many of you seem to have been unable to proceed past the room containing the shielded sentry and the holographic barrier. Here is the solution to the puzzle:

Trick the sentry into firing lasers through the holographic barrier and into the generator. He must be flying close to the ground in order for this strategy to take effect.

NB: Complete the game on the high difficulty setting to earn a little reward.

Edited by Time Wraith, 04 February 2007 - 05:19 PM.

#20 Balthazar

Balthazar

GMC Member

• 170 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 05:25 PM

ok... many thanks

#21 Doctor che

Doctor che

GMC Member

• 57 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:31 PM

Very nice game. Gfx is good, sound is great and gameplay is orginal.
9/10

#22 syth184

syth184

GMC Member

• 1313 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:58 AM

sweet i lvoe this game. too bad it was too short though. i didnt completly understand the ending but i supose if we talk about it here it will be ruined for all the peopel who didnt already read starfoxroxes message
There is nothing wrong with being arrogant as long as it's true.

hello i make tyops becasue im lazy and i hate you anyways.

#23 Evan Sawyer

Evan Sawyer

GMC Member

• 84 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 04:12 AM

i finished it!!!

read STARFOXROX's post first though

it was short
but gameplay has always done it for me so 9/10

#24 kingofnopants

kingofnopants

GMC Member

• 203 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 04:44 AM

Simply amazing. The dialogue isn't about to win any Shakespeare awards, but the gameplay, concept, and difficulty are weel realized. I understand this wasn't meant to be entertainment, but it works well as it.

#25 Alex Muncatchy

Alex Muncatchy

GMC Member

• 1168 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:26 AM

9.5/10
I'm not dead.
Releasing demo soon-ish.
game 4 years in the making.

#26 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:22 PM

As I remembered from playing the demo, this game is really pretty good. The engine is pretty much flawless, with pretty good AI, and the story is quite interesting.

The only thing I can complain about is the presentation being a bit unpolished. And by that, I don't mean by GM standards, because it's way above average if you take it to that level. However, compared to more spectacular games, this one fails to impress visually. The player has a walking animation of two or three frames, which is pretty low. The sprites have some personallity, but the style is rather plain and uninteresting. I'd also prefered to have seen the game play in fullscreen, or at least not in a window.

Very good job though, Timey! Congratulations on completing the game, as well as getting into the cage match. I hope you've started on another project already. Too bad The Eternal Void isn't upto it's old high standards, it'd been good to hear from you more regularly :(

#27 gamereality

gamereality

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 577 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:20 AM

Yow... Slow server. Getting 1KB Per sec here...

#28 Pondwater

Pondwater

Lilypad

• 108 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:06 PM

I loved this game. Well done! And I completed it. Do I get a cookie?

Simple story, but it has depth and maturity in it. I loved that. And particularly the ending. How... stark.

It is an interesting idea, with the flying movement, and "possessing" others. Interesting puzzles too, and it has bosses.

Great stuff. Keep working, as always!

The only frustration I had was not knowing what keys to press at the menu. I used the Arrow keys, at first, because it's a common-knowledge thing. I only realised the WASD after I played around a bit. WASD might be a good choice for a game, because a lot of players are familiar with it, but just for the sake of the menu part -- maybe you should have allowed the arrow keys too?

#29 Necromian

Necromian

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1000 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:43 PM

NOTE: THIS MAY CONTAIN A SPOLIER, DO NOT HIGHLIGHT IT IF YOU DO NOT WANT THE GAME ENDING POSSIBLY RUINED FOR YOU.

I loved this game. It was deep, fitted perfectly, and I loved the theory. I think I've seen it in another game though, where you were playing as a mindless slave being controlled by an evil overlord that you were trying to kill so you could break free of the curse, but at the end you discover that you are the evil overlord. It was a confusing plot, but it reminds me of this game :D
10/10

Edited by Necromian, 14 February 2007 - 03:46 PM.

Some Completed Games and Programs:

Grid Defender 2 Sequel to the staff picked game at yoyogames!

Sig Maker V.5 "10/10","Products match Photoshop CS3, take less time and effort"

Perfection "This really surprised me. I can't think of a single negative thing to say" - Kmetamorphosis

Super Big Gun Adventure! The self-proclaimed cult classic!

Cult Symbol Maker "9.5/10","9/10","I like it! Good work!" - JTR

You can find all 30+ programs at www.nfyre.com

#30 tdmgames

tdmgames

GMC Member

• 1641 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:07 PM

i foudn 1 bug n that was an unexecpted error wen i tried nline play i tried agen n it worked
OH Balls!

Domain change: If any of my links do you not, please PM me and I will send you a working link :)

t3mp3st+Me+BMG = t3mp3st's edited avatar with changing colour effect.

#31 fanderson2

fanderson2

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:55 PM

WOW this is an excellent game! :D How do you make a game like that!? I now the basics of game maker but i want to extend further. plz help! Can u give me a few tips on makin 2D games? Or at least show me some useful tutorials! Thanks Alot! Luv the game!

#32 Skaterboy991

Skaterboy991

GMC Member

• 243 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:16 AM

I give this game a 10/10

Edited by Skaterboy991, 15 February 2007 - 01:17 AM.

#33 Time Wraith

Time Wraith

GMC Member

• 46 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:44 AM

I am pleased to announce that The Puppeteer has undergone some significant modifications. The game's presentation and aesthetical polish have been somewhat refined, and the second and third bosses have been granted new special abilities. I have also implemented a basic experience system: the main character's power doubles if the player manages to fill his resistance meter. Please download the game once more if you are interested; comments would be much appreciated.

Secret: Complete The Puppeteer on the high difficulty setting. After the credits roll, you will be able to read a synopsis of the game's plot and philosophical value.

#34 Aryogaton

Aryogaton

GMC Member

• 292 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:03 PM

How do you get past the room with the barred door and switches that you can turn on and off? I don't want a spoiler, just a hint on how to do it.

#35 Time Wraith

Time Wraith

GMC Member

• 46 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:49 PM

Once you have activated the laser beam originating from the first switch, turn the remaining switches on or off in such a manner as to guide the beam through the circuit and into the shielded switch next to the barred door.

#36 quackery

quackery

GMC Member

• 67 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:31 AM

This is a really cool game the only thing i dont like is how its not full screen i keep clicking outside the window and messing up.