545 replies to this topic

#1 snailfox

snailfox

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 634 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:46 AM

Sixty Five Million And One BC is now finished!
Click here for the Game Maker Creations forum topic

Many thanks to everyone who supported this project, it's been a lot of fun ;)

Posted Image

Edited by snailfox, 08 May 2008 - 10:04 AM.

#2 Venomblood

Venomblood

1=2

• 378 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 01:21 AM

Wow, very impressive. Out of the list of things you can do, these are the ones I got.

- run, jump, walk 'n' talk YES
- CLIMB! (or at least cling onto) any vertical surfaces YES
- swim, dive and climb whilst underwater YES
- push the red things around YES
- ground-pound, Yoshi style YES
- drink NO
- pick up, carry around and drop flaming torches YES
- backflip ...... well why not? No
- probably other things I've forgotten - check out the changing in-game HUD for moves.

The graphics and movie graphics are exellent. The controls could use a little work, with running and changing direction, but then again, this is Game Maker we're talking about, so they are great. Sounds, I didn't hear anything, were there supposed to be sounds? Maybe explain the controls in your first post better. And why not remove the first room?

EDIT
Figured out how to drink ;) .
EDIT
Figured out how to backflip, nice...
EDIT
The only way to close is Ctrl Alt Delete, you might want to change that.

Edited by Venomblood, 03 January 2007 - 01:27 AM.

#3 angelofsilence

angelofsilence

Chicken Lord

• Banned Users
  • 781 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 01:31 AM

Omg i remember the first one of these. Its really cool game if its anything like the first one turned out this should be a great game.

#4 Vyzer

Vyzer

GMC Member

• 721 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 01:42 AM

The graphics are pretty cool, and the engine seems to work flawlessly.

It'd be nice if you could jump off of the walls instead of just letting go.

#5 FallenMaster

FallenMaster

GMC Member

• 417 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:22 PM

This first one was really cool, with this engine I would say it could be even better =). You got a great engine there, now you just need to make a game as good or better then the last one :(.

Climbing was fun, although I would also like to jump off walls and maybe even grab onto a new wall on the other side. I don't like the idea of using space though, it tilts so I can't jump when running and it's kinda far away from the ctrl button.

Just my thoughts :) .
Homepage: www.VD-Productions.com
Email: wallin_philip@hotmail.com

Games I've made: Venus Duel, Tower Defence, Tower Defence 2, Penguins Under Siege, Penguin Racers, Painball, Helmy, Final Flight, Animal Invasion, Bounty Hunter, Last Hope of Magic, The Defender, Original Mini Games, Penguins Under Siege II, Red's Journal, Pyrawords, Attack of Xolotl, Blobbz Online, Garbage Galactica, The Defender II... and they keep rolling in =).

Latest Game: The Defender II

#6 snailfox

snailfox

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 634 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:46 PM

Thank you all for your input!

Just to clear one issue up, SPACE and CTRL are only default keys for the demo - the control system was designed from the start to be fully customisable: one global variable controls the real key for each virtual one, and another controls its name string; so the changing the keyboard controls is a simple matter of modifying two variables, and then the HUD changes accordingly.

And jumping off walls is a great idea..... I hadn't thought of it at all, so thanks for that!

#7 Blade Demon

Blade Demon

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:53 PM

I dont know why,but it doesn't work for me.

#8 snailfox

snailfox

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 634 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 01:00 PM

I dont know why,but it doesn't work for me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you hit 'enter' at the grey screen?

#9 grandhighgamer

grandhighgamer

Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 3876 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 January 2007 - 02:33 PM

Flawless
Perfect movement, physics and smooth animation.
The dialog engine worked well and was fairly humourous (very polite and "proper", not the type of manners expected from carnivorous velociraptors).
I loved the splash effect on the water, all you need now for the engine is sounds/music/ambience and a menu and of course enemies.

Edited by grandhighgamer, 03 January 2007 - 02:35 PM.

GHG WUZ ERE

#10 Dan The Man

Dan The Man

Super Smash Master

• GMC Member
  • 534 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 04:29 AM

Wow, very nice! I love how the raptor feels. Very different from most platformers - you have definately captured your own unique movement system, and I like it. Good Luck, this is one of the few WIPs ill be keeping my eye on.

smashland-siggy.gif

#11 Rexhunter99

Rexhunter99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 924 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 07:14 AM

I really liked the first one and after I finished it I went straight back to Trespasser (DREAMWORKS INTERACTIVE's THE LOST WORLD (Jurassic Park 2) game) and realised you used the raptor sounds from Trespasser and did not credit DWI or Trescom this upset me greatly so if you do reuse the sounds yet again please credit the above teams and add the TRESCOM website to the credits.

Hmm great so far keep it up
7/10

Posted Image EpicZen, Games, Tutorials and more!

#12 snailfox

snailfox

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 634 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:53 AM

I really liked the first one and after I finished it I went straight back to Trespasser (DREAMWORKS INTERACTIVE's THE LOST WORLD (Jurassic Park 2) game) and realised you used the raptor sounds from Trespasser and did not credit DWI or Trescom this upset me greatly so if you do reuse the sounds yet again please credit the above teams and add the TRESCOM website to the credits.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've never played Trespasser before - most of my sounds for the first raptor game game (including the dinosaur ones) were wav files I found through sound-indexing sites. But thanks for the info; I plan to use the same sounds again, so I'll credit them now I know where they come from :)

Edited by snailfox, 04 January 2007 - 11:54 AM.

#13 Dark Chainsaw

Dark Chainsaw

GMC Member

• 217 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:00 PM

this is best 2D platform game i ever seen... and this is just wip... :)

#14 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:33 PM

I have to say I love this. Great movement engine, and smooth animations to match. I'm still racking my brain to figure out how you go the water animations so well without lowering the FPS... Loved the climbing aspect. The controls took a little getting used to, but once I was used to them, they weren't an issue. And since you say the controls are already set up to be customizable... well, it'll be even better.

So, the things you need to add:

1) Sounds/Music.

2) Enemies and/or something that hurts the raptor.

3) A goal. It was fun playing around, but with nothing to do... it got boring after a while.

4) Not being able to change directions in mid-air is annoying...as is not being able to quickly switch directions without back flipping.

But then, I'm sure you knew about all those things.

And I love the dialogue & dialogue engine. "Hamsters haven't been inventd yet" XD :D .

Keep up the great work on this one. Can't wait until it's done.

-IMP :skull: ;)

Edited by IceMetalPunk, 04 January 2007 - 11:40 PM.

:GM123: Are you an artist who likes creating original creature designs? Maybe you can help out with Elementa here! Give it a look; you might like the idea :)

:bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny:

#15 Self_titled

Self_titled

GMC Member

• 149 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:16 PM

wow the animation of the raptor is awesome a hamster game would be pretty cool too tho could be a little mini game or something

the push things were annoying tho not only did they seem to do nothing but they were solid and blocked my path.

one problem you may find is that raptors were only 2 feet tall and were covered in feathers

love the game so far tho

#16 benfclark

benfclark

GMC Member

• 282 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:45 PM

so your pc crashed, shame, anyway im downloading and will edit this post when done, also i'm always happy to help with spriting and some other stuff.

one problem you may find is that raptors were only 2 feet tall and were covered in feathers

well his raptors could be any size! you can't judge unless a human was put in the picture, and feathers would make it look bad.

benfclark

Edited by benfclark, 05 January 2007 - 12:47 PM.

#17 blub

blub

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:35 PM

WOW!
:D ;) :skull: :ph34r:
that game is real cool!

#18 Jext

Jext

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1002 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 04:04 PM

Sweet, another great master-piece by Snailfox.

Shawn64's Street Bike Fury
Skyfire's Statis

Shawn64's Jetz Rampage 4
Shawn64's Infection

#19 BBaller

BBaller

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 820 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:59 PM

I don't remember the original demo having these backgrounds, they're very nice really. As with the first game, great animations and water effects. I like the dust trail when running, also. There's not much to complain about, yet. Looking forward to some good humor in the storyline, hehe.

k1eyl3.jpg

#20 Rexhunter99

Rexhunter99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 924 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:44 AM

I've never played Trespasser before - most of my sounds for the first raptor game game (including the dinosaur ones) were wav files I found through sound-indexing sites. But thanks for the info; I plan to use the same sounds again, so I'll credit them now I know where they come from :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

TY :(
Hmm let me create a screen for the credits withe the details of the trespasser sounds as I have titles and details to who created them and optimized them.

Snailfox you should try out trespasser its a great game though don't look for a retail copy in a store look on ebay.
The game itself was stripped of many of its grand graphical features like:
Sun effects and lighting, Realtime shadows, blood pools on walls and floors, etc
It would have rivaled Doom3 if it had been finished as it had a large miox of Halo2 Half life and Doom 3 Graphics.
Also they removed the Raptors ability to jump and in place made them a little more hard to kill with guns and rocks than it should be...
(once I dropped a 5 ton girder on it and it limped off into the distance.)
otherwise it maybe a great source of ideas for foliage and effects.

Edited by hpapillon, 09 January 2007 - 05:16 PM.

#21 Christa

Christa

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 267 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:54 PM

Darn gorgeous...

#22 hpapillon

hpapillon

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 3020 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 05:20 PM

More to the point, even if *some* dinosaurs have *some* feathers or feather-like things *somewhere*, which is what seems likely from the evidence, we have no idea which ones do, or where, or what color, or anything like that. Nitpicking depictions for not being 'right' is silly when nobody has a clue what 'right' is. Especially since this is a game, not a science lesson.

Much more sensible to use a depiction that everyone can at least recognise and understand that it's meant to be a dinosaur. :)
Yes, making games is my day job.
Anime Games
Gaming blog

#23 Rexhunter99

Rexhunter99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 924 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:26 AM

SnailFox I have extracted all the Dinosaur sounds from Trespassers specail sound format and I can upload the main special ones if you want.
Thier quality is excellent and I have these species:
Tyrannosaurus Rex, Velociraptor, Albertosaurus, Spinosaurus (these were added courtosy of me), Brachiosaurus, Parasaurolophus, Triceratops and Stegosaurus also I have many others on my hardrive if you want em, including High quality ambient sounds (birds, bugs, winds etc)

#24 IamCalle

IamCalle

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 444 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:26 PM

I like the feel and the quality this game has. :)
Good work!

#25 spikeesam

spikeesam

GMC Member

• 677 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 08:42 AM

On SpikeeSam news tonight: All across the globe, an incredible phenomena has occured. Computer game nerds everywhere have collapsed in near org***ic fits today. Some died of pure happiness. The epidemic is believed to have been caused by a certain freeware computer game about a green dinosaur that is so good, that I have to leave now and keep playing it. This was Spike Smith for Spikeesam News.

HeHe XD

#26 Tyrannosaurus rex

Tyrannosaurus rex

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 498 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:06 AM

Yo nice update Snail fox. The sprites of the raptor look updated and the game plays smooth and nice. Keep up the good work, and remember, if you need my help, then ask.

#27 spikeesam

spikeesam

GMC Member

• 677 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:22 PM

What enemies will there be in this game?

#28 snailfox

snailfox

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 634 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:35 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably those spiky bear things and the T-Rex will be back, but I haven't started work on the enemies yet, so I guess I'm open to suggestions...

#29 Rexhunter99

Rexhunter99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 924 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:57 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably those spiky bear things and the T-Rex will be back, but I haven't started work on the enemies yet, so I guess I'm open to suggestions...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well lets see lots of prehistoric creatures not just Dinosaurs but maybe some herbivores wouldn't hurt eh? (Stegs, Parasaurs, Apatosaurus(Christ maybe not Apatosaurs as their knees would be pretty much be as high as you could see em on view)) you know just open up any old Prehistoric creatures book and pick out some interesting ones.

#30 TheZro

TheZro

Leader Of TST

• 594 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:50 PM

Great start with this .. very smooth animations and great gameplay .. the graphics are great .. but are u planning to have a battle system or something ? also maybe u could add missions and stuff .. this is a great game .. keep working on it .. ( i'll watch the progress of it )
A new story is in the making...
\ Angels: legend of Arron / \ Assistant Programmer /

#31 Mark Daniel

Mark Daniel

GMC Member

• 68 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:06 AM

Raptor 2 would be a great success when it is done. A nice sequel to the first game.

Here is what I think of the engine so far...
- The raptor moves like the real thing, amazing.
- The conversation made me laugh.
- Dialog box was a great addition too.
- Backflip, picking up the stick and swimming, that was fun.
- The running part was kinda hard to execute.
- The background... A masterpiece.
- The jump was high... which was good.

Though I did find a bug:

Posted Image

My raptor got stuck and can't move further. Oh well, that's his tail in the white rectangular box.

Maybe you could make a story about the day when dinosaurs would soon get extinct and they try to survive by their own. Soon to follow is that you would survive by fighting other dinosaurs for food.

Or maybe the raptors' homeland was destroyed due to natural calamities and they soon want to find another place to stay... Fighting other dinosaur species for their turf!

Edited by Mark Daniel, 03 February 2007 - 06:14 AM.

#32 spikeesam

spikeesam

GMC Member

• 677 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:03 AM

Therzinosaurus gonna make an appaerence?

#33 AdilFaQah

AdilFaQah

Whiz Kid

• GMC Member
  • 2747 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:43 AM

Sweet. I don't know why but it reminds me of The Lion King game I used to play...ah, those were the days.

Anyways, keep up the good work.

-AdilFaQah

#34 dmitko

dmitko

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1013 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 05:05 PM

Nice graphics, man!
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Currently working on Project Funky 3D

#35 professir

professir

GMC Member

• 32 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:14 PM

Wow wow wow. Really incredible engine you got there. Flawless, even!

I love all the context sensitive actions you can perform. Wonderfully done! Keep up the good work, cant wait for the final release!

#36 Roman

Roman

GMC Member

• 114 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:09 PM

The game is good so is the Graphics 10\10 :(

#37 snailfox

snailfox

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 634 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:14 PM

There's been an update, adding frogs to catch and geysers to be exploded out of!

Download Raptor 2 Beta 3

Check out the first post for more details.

#38 Pyntix

Pyntix

GMC Member

• 340 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:53 PM

Sure beats Raptor 1, and it has the smoothest engine I've ever seen. Really great job! :D

#39 wilyumi

wilyumi

GMC Member

• 129 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:19 PM

I like it, one thing.. how do you push the red push thingys?

#40 grandhighgamer

grandhighgamer

Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 3876 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:37 PM

Its... all... so.. great.
The graphics are great and consistant, fluid animation.
The engine is incredibly solid. The dialog system works well and the dialog is very nice. I did notice an error with the push blocks though, if you push one over a geyser the screen just shakes as if its about to explode but it never does.
wilyumi: You can push the blocks about by going up to it and pressing space when the appropriate indicator says "SPC: Push", you might need to crouch.

GHG WUZ ERE

#41 wilyumi

wilyumi

GMC Member

• 129 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:18 PM

"grandhighgamer"
Thanx

#42 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:41 AM

I like the new beta as much as or better than the first, I can't tell right now :D . Still love the dialogue: "I'm not programmed to get up yet" XD

Keep working on this. Now that you have health, you'll need something to take away health.... and a goal to the game :GM6:

-IMP :GM6: :D

:GM123: Are you an artist who likes creating original creature designs? Maybe you can help out with Elementa here! Give it a look; you might like the idea :)

:bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny:

#43 rapanto

rapanto

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:09 AM

I like the new beta as much as or better than the first, I can't tell right now :P . Still love the dialogue: "I'm not programmed to get up yet" XD

Keep working on this. Now that you have health, you'll need something to take away health.... and a goal to the game :D

-IMP ;) :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

;) and sound tooooooooo

#44 rapanto

rapanto

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:20 AM

9th Feb 2007
The latest update includes frogs to catch, geysers to be exploded out of and lots of graphical improvements.

Raptor 2 Beta 3

File Size: 2.6MB
Screen Resolution: 640 x 480
windowed display - no screen resizing

Posted Image
The raptor can:
- run, jump, walk 'n' talk
- CLIMB! (or at least cling onto) any vertical surfaces
- swim, dive and climb whilst underwater
- push the red things around
- ground-pound, Yoshi style
- drink
- pick up, carry around and drop flaming torches
- backflip
- catch and eat frogs
- get exploded out of geysers

see HUD for most actions, except:

backflip - whilst holding a direction key, tap the opposite direction
ground-pound - hold 'down' key whilst in mid-jump
bite (space) torches to grab them

enter - talk and advance speech
esc - stop talking

-to exit, 'esc' must sometimes be pressed twice (I'm working on that one)

Screenshot 2
Screenshot 3
Screenshot 4
Screenshot 5

There are currently no sounds and no enemies in the demo - this focuses on the main character actions and graphic elements.

Download Raptor 2 Beta 3

Please give feedback on any elements you see that would be better another way. I particularly need to know how the controls handle on other computers.

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

gooooooooooo make enemies and goals.finnish making its going to another month or year ;)

#45 snailfox

snailfox

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 634 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:32 PM

Beta 4 released!

Download Raptor 2 Beta 4

New features in demo 4:
- vertical and horizontal moving platforms
- weight-driven elevators
- switches and enigmatic moving blocks
- lame crate walls that are fun to smash
- ground-pound smashes things
- tailwhipable frogs
- it SHOULD be impossible for sticky collisions to occur

Check the first post for more details: redirect to first post

#46 rapanto

rapanto

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:41 AM

Beta 4 released!

Download Raptor 2 Beta 4

New features in demo 4:
- vertical and horizontal moving platforms
- weight-driven elevators
- switches and enigmatic moving blocks
- lame crate walls that are fun to smash
- ground-pound smashes things
- tailwhipable frogs
- it SHOULD be impossible for sticky collisions to occur

Check the first post for more details: redirect to first post

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

u rock what about enemies and levels

#47 snailfox

snailfox

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 634 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:12 PM

Enemies are the next step, levels are the last step :)

#48 jonny5522

jonny5522

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:35 PM

I found a bug,that u guys might not have noticed,when a platform is going down and you bump it to it,lets say when its halfway down it will start going up.

BTW keep up the good work :)

#49 rapanto

rapanto

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 04:16 AM

Enemies are the next step, levels are the last step :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D plz finnished it in april my sisters exam finnishing in april .

#50 benfclark

benfclark

GMC Member

• 282 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:00 PM

i love the update!, but could you make the raptors more like the ones from the first game? and also is the main character the same as the last one?

benfclark