• Please log in to reply
912 replies to this topic

#1 gamez93

gamez93

GMC Member

• 892 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:18 PM

Posted Image

It is the moment of truth once again, following a fantastically well received issue 16 we are now pleased to present to you issue 17. This issue has taken a couple of weeks longer than originally planned, however we are glad that it has all been put together featuring some top content like an exclusive insight into ArcMagi, a feature on the Game Maker Community Game, our regular feature of GMTech Hidden Gems and information on the development of Innoquous 3. Here is what you can find in Issue Seventeen…

FEATURES
Community News / Team GMTech
Less Scherzinger, More Scheherazade
Sequels
The Conscientious Objective
A Quick Look At Game Writing

GAMES & REVIEWS
Coilfighter
VirusXvirus
Xplode
GMTech Hidden Gems

EXTRAS
Development Of: Innoquous 3
Game Maker 8 Beta
ArcMagi [EXCLUSIVE]
A Sense Of Community
Worth A Look – Lithium Particle Designer
Closing

Issue Seventeen - September 2009
Mirror One (5.6mb): Box.net
Mirror Two (5.6mb): Fileden.com
Mirror Three: Scribd.com
Direct Link: GameMakerTech.info

GMTech Download Archive

Issue Seventeen - September 2009
Mirror One (5.6mb): Box.net
Mirror Two (5.6mb): Fileden.com
------------------------------------------
Issue Sixteen - June 2009
Mirror One (5.1mb): Box.net
Mirror Two (5.1mb): Fileden.com
Issue Fifteen - March 2009
Mirror One (4.6mb): Box.net
Mirror Two (4.6mb): Fileden.com
Issue Fourteen - November 2008
Mirror One (3.9mb): Box.net
Mirror Two (4.1mb): Savefile.com
Issue Thirteen - September 2008
Mirror One (5.5mb): Box.net
Mirror Two (5.5mb): Savefile.com

Click Here To View All Previous Issues

Edited by gamez93, 01 September 2009 - 02:58 PM.

#2 toenail

toenail

Mindtrick Forefront

• 851 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:33 PM

Wow this is a really good idea and I love it!! I rate it a 9/10! (couple spelling errors) I was wondering if it would be possible to get my game previed/reviewed? Take a look at it in my sig (Hang on to your Ghoulies!!) I would like that a lot!!

~Toenail
Rob Westwood

I am currently working on a 3D toon/cell shading engine in GM!

#3 gamez93

gamez93

GMC Member

• 892 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:36 PM

drop me a pm, with more info - thanks for your comments

#4 Finland Games

Finland Games

Finland Games

• 1034 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:47 PM

Wow, this is pretty good!

#5 -0NL1N3-

-0NL1N3-

Network Programmer

• 650 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:53 PM

Very nice, but that's only because my comic's in it :) Jokes aside, the magazine looks well and has a lot of interesting content.

Thanks,
-0NL1N3-

#6 vicious1988

vicious1988

GMC Member

• 97 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:57 PM

I like the idea of bringing back the GM webzine. Personally, I thought the features could have been a little more well organized. Other than that it was good.

#7 RhysAndrews

RhysAndrews

Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2013 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:07 PM

Very nice to see another magazine off the ground and providing us with more material to read. I wish you very well with upcoming issues. I do however, have some suggestions to point out...

1) Your cover-page is very sturdy and looks well-designed; however it has been stretched a little bit to fit the page. That really downgrades it's look (as well as the JPG compression spread all over the image... but I assume that was to reduce file size); I recommend you try and make the cover fit nicely in upcoming issues.

2) When I saw the cover-page, I thought I was in for a really nicely designed magazine. And... well, I did. But it wasn't a design that matched the cover. The design you have currently is really good, so I'm not sure whether you should change the cover to fit the in-page design, or vice versa. Play around with it.

3) As magazine editors, you really need to clean out all the typos. Read it over and over when you've finished, get others to read it over and over. Make sure that there are no grammar issues either.

4) The word-search was a very nice idea; But I can only assume nobody would actually take part in it, with how that simple it is... If you do it again, I recommend you make it much harder and possibly allow for a prize.

Very nice Magazine, though
Regards
Rhys Andrews

banner4.jpg

#8 gmjab

gmjab

GMC Member

• 784 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:22 PM

Thanks RhysAndrews, when I designed the cover it was wider, but it had to be compressed to fit the design, but we'll take a look into different ways we can make it display better. The magazine cover will be changed every issue, so I guess the colours of the design can be changed to suite the cover, but we'll take a look into that. Thanks for the suggestions, the GM Tech team will take them into careful consideration.

#9 Jeggi

Jeggi

GMC Member

• 258 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:23 PM

Nice magazine !
It's good to have a quality GM magizine, that I problably will read every issue of. ( That has only happend to robs newletter, and morphoses magazine :) )
Anyways.. keep it up !

#10 Indecom4000

Indecom4000

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1636 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:55 PM

hmm, not bad. the inner design was bland in comparison to the cover, maybe less yellow and more light gray gradients.

i could spell check and fix grammar if you like.

LD-Logo-sml.png

#11 Mordi

Mordi

Maker of Menus

• 3635 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:20 AM

You should really get a better host. 64Digits is very nice, and has a counter.

I like the mag. It had long articles and interviews, wich, if i remember correctly, was a niggle in the previous mags. I think it had a good design; not too flashy and messy, and not too boring. The front page was nice, except it was a bit blurry.

The ad's were a bit unsettling. You cant really tell they are ads (at first) , since there is no box around them, and no "advertisement" text over or under.

Looking forward to issue 2.

#12 Takagi

Takagi

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 4284 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:53 AM

The layout was a bit poor, but you're changing that. The content didn't appeal much to me as much as it did to others though. I did like the work you put into it, but as mentioned, the ads are a bit awkward. I liked the comic, but I was hoping for more, it had potential, but the funny bit didn't come in.

The interview was interesting, I liked Simon's but to be completely honest, I didn't care much for benoitroleau's interview, no offense intended towards him.

#13 Alex

Alex

3lite Member

• 3098 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:55 AM

It was okay. The design and content definately needs to be improved though.

I personally would make a magazine, only, I would have trouble finding enough 'good' games to put in it.

#14 ChipChamp

ChipChamp

ChipChamp Games

• 145 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:06 AM

It was a quite good magazine, and I definately look forward to reading upcoming ones. Also, all of my ideas for it have been said already... oh well... Lol.

#15 benoit.rouleau

benoit.rouleau

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1637 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:15 AM

The interview was interesting, I liked Simon's but to be completely honest, I didn't care much for benoitroleau's interview, no offense intended towards him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha, it's ok. :) (oh and my name is Benoit Rouleau :( )

Edited by benetonmovie, 01 December 2006 - 03:15 AM.

#16 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:03 AM

There were errors here and there in the grammar, there was one very large portion of text that I felt could have been broken up into paragraphs, and there needs to be a little bit of work done on the layout, but by and large this was a pretty decent effort. What I really liked about it was that, despite how basic the layout was, it was consistent from page to page - a feat most GM magazines I've seen so far could not reproduce.

Spend a little more time on the details and hammer out something with a little more substance, and you'll have a pretty nice virtual GM rag.

#17 -0NL1N3-

-0NL1N3-

Network Programmer

• 650 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:02 AM

Did anyone like the comic?

Thanks,
-0NL1N3-

#18 toenail

toenail

Mindtrick Forefront

• 851 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:06 AM

Hehe, I liked the comic! "ZOMG I'm going to make my own Runescape!" very amusing and would be cool to see that like a series were the story continues in each issue!

~Toenail
Rob Westwood

I am currently working on a 3D toon/cell shading engine in GM!

#19 -0NL1N3-

-0NL1N3-

Network Programmer

• 650 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:15 AM

Hehe, I liked the comic! "ZOMG I'm going to make my own Runescape!" very amusing and would be cool to see that like a series were the story continues in each issue!

~Toenail

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, the funniest part will come in the next issue though. I plan on making more comics too.

Thanks,
-0NL1N3-

#20 OpticalLiam

OpticalLiam

GMC Member

• 782 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:11 PM

This isn't bad, quite a lot of content that didn't really interest me much but I enjoyed reading the interviews.

It's quite nicely presented, but I suggest you work on the layout. Things need to split up into columns, that way it makes it much more comfortable to read, the same way professional news and magazine publications do.

I think there also needs to be more graphics and colour, as at the moment it's very bland staring at text on white background.

Anyway, good luck with it.

Edited by OpticalLiam, 01 December 2006 - 12:12 PM.

#21 crash2108

crash2108

GMC Member

• 148 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:23 PM

I can easily hook you up with a website and a mass mailing list.

#22 Alex

Alex

3lite Member

• 3098 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:36 PM

Here's a comic you can use.

Posted Image

#23 benoit.rouleau

benoit.rouleau

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1637 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:51 PM

:D LOL /\lex, very funny!

#24 rup13

rup13

GMC Member

• 604 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:14 PM

It is nice to see that most people who have read it so far have enjoyed our work. We hope to have another issue out sometime soon so we'll try and put all your suggestions into the next issue to make it much better. Personally I think it was good for a first attempt at us all making a magazine on the team. We had some problems with checking spelling/grammar as I was due to do this, but we had problems with the files not opening on each other's computers due to different versions of the program. However I will try my best to make sure that the next issue is checked throughout next time. If you have any comments or suggestions please post them hear as we are glad to hear them. Also I will probably need ideas about articles I could write as these were all I could think of to write at the time.

Many thanks for reading
rup13

Edit: I have supplied a mirror on my paid webhost for people to use if they wish:

GM Tech Issue 1 [right click - save target as]

Edited by rup13, 01 December 2006 - 05:22 PM.

Old Creations: Game Maker Tycoon | The Complete Guide to Creating RPG's in GM6.x (Part 1 only) | Textbox Tutorial V3

I am the proud owner of a First-Class Honours Degree in Computer Science :)

Java is my speciality programming language.

#25 gamez93

gamez93

GMC Member

• 892 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:38 PM

I like the idea of bringing back the GM webzine. Personally, I thought the features could have been a little more well organized. Other than that it was good.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do you suggest, how we set it out then.

Very nice to see another magazine off the ground and providing us with more material to read. I wish you very well with upcoming issues. I do however, have some suggestions to point out...

1) Your cover-page is very sturdy and looks well-designed; however it has been stretched a little bit to fit the page. That really downgrades it's look (as well as the JPG compression spread all over the image... but I assume that was to reduce file size); I recommend you try and make the cover fit nicely in upcoming issues.

2) When I saw the cover-page, I thought I was in for a really nicely designed magazine. And... well, I did. But it wasn't a design that matched the cover. The design you have currently is really good, so I'm not sure whether you should change the cover to fit the in-page design, or vice versa. Play around with it.

3) As magazine editors, you really need to clean out all the typos. Read it over and over when you've finished, get others to read it over and over. Make sure that there are no grammar issues either.

4) The word-search was a very nice idea; But I can only assume nobody would actually take part in it, with how that simple it is... If you do it again, I recommend you make it much harder and possibly allow for a prize.

Very nice Magazine, though
Regards
Rhys Andrews

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. Yea in future issues we will make the front cover to size
2. Yea we will play around with different layouts - but then again the front cover will be different every issue so sometimes things will work, other times not but thats life - also gmjab is the maker of the front cover so send all your praise to him for the professional look.
3. Ok, well the first issue will never be perfect - however we are in search for two spell checkers so that they can check future issues - so if you want to
4. It's called quick word search for a reason, so you could just take a look at it and finish it quickly - I don't think it is worth doing a competiton over since its not really GM.

Thanks for your comments Rhys Andrews, and is what we spoke about still ok.

Nice magazine !
It's good to have a quality GM magizine, that I problably will read every issue of. ( That has only happend to robs newletter, and morphoses magazine :D )
Anyways.. keep it up !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quality? Well thanks for that comment and hopefull you will read it every issue - and hopefully we will make more and more issues.

You should really get a better host. 64Digits is very nice, and has a counter.

I like the mag. It had long articles and interviews, wich, if i remember correctly, was a niggle in the previous mags. I think it had a good design; not too flashy and messy, and not too boring. The front page was nice, except it was a bit blurry.

The ad's were a bit unsettling. You cant really tell they are ads (at first) , since there is no box around them, and no "advertisement" text over or under.

Looking forward to issue 2.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We are gettting another host soon, long articles where down to rup13 - and I liked them myself, and interviews I tried to ask questions that people dont normally ask over and over again in other GM magazines and the gamble paid off.

In futures issues we will have like ad pages, but since no one had heard of us yet it would have been difficult to do that, but know people know about us they will submit there ads.

The layout was a bit poor, but you're changing that. The content didn't appeal much to me as much as it did to others though. I did like the work you put into it, but as mentioned, the ads are a bit awkward. I liked the comic, but I was hoping for more, it had potential, but the funny bit didn't come in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes the layout will improve in futures issues as this is out first issue it was a bit hit and miss - well it is hard to please everyone hopefully in the next issue you will enjoy it more.

There were errors here and there in the grammar, there was one very large portion of text that I felt could have been broken up into paragraphs, and there needs to be a little bit of work done on the layout, but by and large this was a pretty decent effort.  What I really liked about it was that, despite how basic the layout was, it was consistent from page to page - a feat most GM magazines I've seen so far could not reproduce.

Spend a little more time on the details and hammer out something with a little more substance, and you'll have a pretty nice virtual GM rag.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I said above, grammer and spelling errors will be a thing of the past in future issues, the layout will improve and yea I really like to have the same thing going throughout the pages which is why I keeped the same layout.

Well after that long post, I think I will leave it to you guys to continue posting your comments.

gamez93

#26 Elmernite

Elmernite

Kengine

• GMC Member
  • 424 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:42 PM

Very nice! One of the better ones that have popped up over time. Feel free to review any of my games! :D I hope you manage to get everything smoothed out for the new version and I hope you don't stop like so many others have done.
If I can think of anything (games you could review or articles to write I'll pm you.)
-Elmernite

Edited by Elmernite, 01 December 2006 - 05:48 PM.

rsbanner.png
Kengine Gaming "Kengine Gaming is the best GM site I've seen" - flubmasterQ
"Good games never die" - Elmernite

#27 gmjab

gmjab

GMC Member

• 784 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:01 PM

I'm the head of the reviewers/previewers of the mag, so you can contact me about it if you like, but I'll take a look at your games.

Thank-you for your comments and suggestions so far everyone.

- Jarred

#28 ultim8p00

ultim8p00

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 282 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 03:59 AM

whatever happened to ABoutgames magazine?

#29 gmjab

gmjab

GMC Member

• 784 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 04:27 AM

Maybe you should ask the creator of that mag about it ?

#30 fire_soul453

fire_soul453

aarons video games

• GMC Member
  • 542 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 05:59 AM

it is ok
had some good stuff
keep working on it because i have only seen like one gm magazine that got past the third issue

Edited by fire_soul453, 02 December 2006 - 06:00 AM.

Game maker Top sites
I'm sick of paypal. From now on I'm not buying indie games unless I can use something else...

#31 gmjab

gmjab

GMC Member

• 784 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 06:02 AM

As long as people like the mag, we will keep making the mag, We have already started on Issue 02. Thanks.

- Jarred

#32 jmanjman47

jmanjman47

GMC Member

• 156 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 07:45 AM

It's been a long time coming, but I am happy to present the first issue of GM TECH, it is full with articles, interviews, reviews and a lot more. All of us working on the magazine feel that this is a good issue and that you lot will all enjoy it, so what are you waiting for... Go on and download.

We are also in the middle of setting up a website so you can subscribe to the magazine and receive an email each time a new issue is out - so look out for that, we are in the process of getting a host right now.

-------------------------------------------
Issue One
Link: Savefile.com

Mirror Link: Only use if the above link isn't working - [right click - save target as]
-------------------------------------------

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wow this must have took alot of work man. Good job and good luck

#33 Against The law

Against The law

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 494 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 08:47 AM

This was pretty good but there was less number of game reviewed but keep up the good work.

#34 gamez93

gamez93

GMC Member

• 892 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 01:46 PM

This was pretty good but there was less number of game reviewed but keep up the good work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We will review more games in future issues as now people have heard about us, so they would want their game reviewed/previewed.

Thank you all for your comments.

#35 davidp

davidp

GMC Member

• 1240 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 02:59 PM

Nice to see you complete mag. Good luck with it, I didn't read it yet, but I will in future and get back to you. Nice to see it going. Just keep it up, I hope you will manage to work on it constantly.

David

#36 gamez93

gamez93

GMC Member

• 892 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 03:03 PM

Nice to see you complete mag. Good luck with it, I didn't read it yet, but I will in future and get back to you. Nice to see it going. Just keep it up, I hope you will manage to work on it constantly.

David

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok thanks for your comment, I am going to try and keep this magazine running for as long as possible - if I can make five issues with my staff then I know i did better than anyone elses pdf magazines for GM so thats my main goal. Please download and post when you can.

#37 davidp

davidp

GMC Member

• 1240 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 03:28 PM

True. Will download it (I'm sorry I can't right now. Don't have PDF reader at this comp).

David

#38 [M]edieval

[M]edieval

MediYama Games

• 600 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 03:41 PM

Nice that our first issue is getting attention! Everyone thanks for downloading the magazine :D .

Greetz,

~Medieval (GM Tech Researcher)

Edited by [M]edieval, 03 December 2006 - 04:17 PM.

#39 josheat

josheat

GMC Member

• 78 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:13 AM

Wow, that is really good. I like the layout and apart from a few spelling mistakes it is written well. I didnt really like the quotes section though.

To improve i think you should showcase a few more games and examples/tutorials, as there are PLENTY out here.

Good work :) And if you want some help with reviews or previews etc, give me a pm.

#40 tikki

tikki

GMC Member

• 883 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 03:22 AM

nice. i like it. awesome comic!

maybe put "tutorial heaven" and "this site" in the tutorial section.

for the quote "It's called Game maker, not Clone maker. - Post" i think i posted that. were you being sarcastic? or is it "a great 1 liner"?
if i didnt post it, i saw it. can you dig up the link? i seached but couldnt find

#41 ChipChamp

ChipChamp

ChipChamp Games

• 145 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 03:32 AM

I think he wasn't being sarcastic at that. It's a good quote anyway. :)

#42 gamez93

gamez93

GMC Member

• 892 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 08:53 AM

OK, and thanks again for all your comments - about the quotes bit, they were just things I saw while I went through the GMC, it wont be in the second issue as I have something better lined up.

gamez93

#43 GMmarine

GMmarine

GMC programmer/spriter

• 436 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:12 PM

This was great except,First,not enough screenshots for some of the games. Second, I think the interview questions where unclear, therefore they sometimes weren't answered correctly. I also noticed some spelling mistakes like "GMc" and others but that didn't affect your score. Overall 9/10

Edited by GMmarine, 03 December 2006 - 02:12 PM.

#44 rup13

rup13

GMC Member

• 604 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:25 PM

Thank you for the comments. Firstly we will try to take into consideration the comments you have made, as for one I do not like reading spelling errors in documents myself either. So we shall all try to ensure we all check the document or something like that.

@GMmarine: Thank you for that comment, we shall ensure any future interview questions to be easy to understand thus giving us better answers. The spelling has been noted above.

We enjoy hearing your comments as it helps us as we construct the next issue. We are the creators and you are our audience, and you are the ones we wish to please the most.

Old Creations: Game Maker Tycoon | The Complete Guide to Creating RPG's in GM6.x (Part 1 only) | Textbox Tutorial V3

I am the proud owner of a First-Class Honours Degree in Computer Science :)

Java is my speciality programming language.

#45 gamez93

gamez93

GMC Member

• 892 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:17 PM

Hey everyone, we are looking for people who are willing to take part in a little competiton. We are looking for someone who can make gfx to make a little cartoon person who is nerdy. If you are interested in this please PM me for more details.

Also we are looking for people to submit questions for people who will be interviewed. We will use the same questions as before however we want you guys to submit in your questions.(It dosen't matter who will be interviewed since the questions will be the same) Please PM me your questions for the interviewes.

Thanks

#46 Kapser

Kapser

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1645 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:51 PM

That was interresting ^_^. Hope to see more interviews of game designers!

#47 gmjab

gmjab

GMC Member

• 784 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:07 AM

Thanks Kasper, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Remember if you ever want your game reviewed or something don't hesitate to contact one of the staff for more information, we are always excepting new ideas and suggestions.

- Jarred

#48 leeroyjenkins

leeroyjenkins

Leeeroy Jenkins!

• 340 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:17 AM

I love it. Nice, simple, sweet, to the point, looks good, nice layout of info. Nice job, Ill definately read issue two!

#49 smelven

smelven

GMC Member

• 259 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:14 AM

the links dont work but its a great mag
once my sig siad this lol
"Smelvens watch has no numbers it just says "time to kick ass""

#50 gmjab

gmjab

GMC Member

• 784 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:28 AM

Thats strange, Oh I see when you click on the link it doesn't work, just copy and paste links for this issue and we'll try to fix this in the next issue. Thanks for the report.

Also the GM Tech Forum is now up and running. You can register there and submit your games to be reviewed etc.... The website is also almost done, there are still a few more changes to be made before its working perfect. I have just notice we have had over 110 downloads so far.

- Jarred