I like the idea of bringing back the GM webzine. Personally, I thought the features could have been a little more well organized. Other than that it was good.
What do you suggest, how we set it out then.
Very nice to see another magazine off the ground and providing us with more material to read. I wish you very well with upcoming issues. I do however, have some suggestions to point out...
1) Your cover-page is very sturdy and looks well-designed; however it has been stretched a little bit to fit the page. That really downgrades it's look (as well as the JPG compression spread all over the image... but I assume that was to reduce file size); I recommend you try and make the cover fit nicely in upcoming issues.
2) When I saw the cover-page, I thought I was in for a really nicely designed magazine. And... well, I did. But it wasn't a design that matched the cover. The design you have currently is really good, so I'm not sure whether you should change the cover to fit the in-page design, or vice versa. Play around with it.
3) As magazine editors, you really need to clean out all the typos. Read it over and over when you've finished, get others to read it over and over. Make sure that there are no grammar issues either.
4) The word-search was a very nice idea; But I can only assume nobody would actually take part in it, with how that simple it is... If you do it again, I recommend you make it much harder and possibly allow for a prize.
Very nice Magazine, though
1. Yea in future issues we will make the front cover to size
2. Yea we will play around with different layouts - but then again the front cover will be different every issue so sometimes things will work, other times not but thats life - also gmjab is the maker of the front cover so send all your praise to him for the professional look.
3. Ok, well the first issue will never be perfect - however we are in search for two spell checkers so that they can check future issues - so if you want to
4. It's called quick word search for a reason, so you could just take a look at it and finish it quickly - I don't think it is worth doing a competiton over since its not really GM.
Thanks for your comments Rhys Andrews, and is what we spoke about still ok.
Nice magazine !
It's good to have a quality GM magizine, that I problably will read every issue of. ( That has only happend to robs newletter, and morphoses magazine )
Anyways.. keep it up !
Quality? Well thanks for that comment and hopefull you will read it every issue - and hopefully we will make more and more issues.
You should really get a better host. 64Digits is very nice, and has a counter.
I like the mag. It had long articles and interviews, wich, if i remember correctly, was a niggle in the previous mags. I think it had a good design; not too flashy and messy, and not too boring. The front page was nice, except it was a bit blurry.
The ad's were a bit unsettling. You cant really tell they are ads (at first) , since there is no box around them, and no "advertisement" text over or under.
Looking forward to issue 2.
We are gettting another host soon, long articles where down to rup13 - and I liked them myself, and interviews I tried to ask questions that people dont normally ask over and over again in other GM magazines and the gamble paid off.
In futures issues we will have like ad pages, but since no one had heard of us yet it would have been difficult to do that, but know people know about us they will submit there ads.
The layout was a bit poor, but you're changing that. The content didn't appeal much to me as much as it did to others though. I did like the work you put into it, but as mentioned, the ads are a bit awkward. I liked the comic, but I was hoping for more, it had potential, but the funny bit didn't come in.
The interview was interesting, I liked Simon's but to be completely honest, I didn't care much for benoitroleau's interview, no offense intended towards him.
Yes the layout will improve in futures issues as this is out first issue it was a bit hit and miss - well it is hard to please everyone hopefully in the next issue you will enjoy it more.
There were errors here and there in the grammar, there was one very large portion of text that I felt could have been broken up into paragraphs, and there needs to be a little bit of work done on the layout, but by and large this was a pretty decent effort. What I really liked about it was that, despite how basic the layout was, it was consistent from page to page - a feat most GM magazines I've seen so far could not reproduce.
Spend a little more time on the details and hammer out something with a little more substance, and you'll have a pretty nice virtual GM rag.
As I said above, grammer and spelling errors will be a thing of the past in future issues, the layout will improve and yea I really like to have the same thing going throughout the pages which is why I keeped the same layout.
Well after that long post, I think I will leave it to you guys to continue posting your comments.gamez93