The reason I am saying all that is because while I was on other forums and the such, I noticed something that I honestly havn't on the GMC. There was variety!!!
There are basicly 3 or 4 genres that the GMC works on, and that is all:
1. Stupid take-offs of good games that the GMC just makes worse.
2. Annoying "original" RPG games. (I have counted 500+ of those )
3. Some of the worst platform games I have ever played in my life.
Before you all get defensive, I would like to say that there are some exceptions to that. For example, Hover Tank 3D by Fred. (I must say, I played the game about 4 months ago and did not belive it was made by Game Maker.)
Also, there truly are some original RPG and Platform games made that are better than alot of Game Boy Games I played when I was little.
All I am saying is, COME ON PEOPLE!!! Think outside the box once in a while. I have seen VERY good games made by people on the GMC that get horrible feed-back because they don't fit what they were "expecting".
I would really like to see some variety in this place. It might give the GMC some "life". God knows it needs it.
Okay... enough of my hypocritical views on the GMC, and on to my main reason for this post. In all my two years of browsing the GMC "WIP" and "Finished Games" section, I have only seen 3 TOTAL RTS games. Two were in the WIP section, both were side scrolling and one was made by me, so that dosn't really count. The third was a half-way decent game, but with no menu screen or story line. Just 3 levels that were kind of repetative and very glitchy.
The main reason I think that RTS games are not made right now is that the only way you can find out how to make one is to look under the "Games" section and then click on "Version 6 editable games", then download The Dark Age, Commando and Conquistare, or Mars: Final Conflict This is a real pain because then you need to look under the code and try to find out basicly how it is done. Honestly though, the first time I looked at the code I had no idea where to start and got overwhelmed and quit the game, giving up hope of ever making an RTS
Here is my idea:
1. As of now, try to add more "pizzaz" to the basic every day games. NO MORE FRIEKING CLONES!!!
2. Try to encourage others to branch out. It is notany harder to make an original game, and way more people will wanna play it.
3. Heck, let's start having contest for the best game in the genre made for that month. Also, we could have another catagory of "Originality". I would be willing, on my website FandJGames.com to put up the page, and every month update it with a brief description of the best game in each genre and put a download link! I mean, what do we have to lose? It might enspire some newcomers to the GMC to try it out and test their skills.
*If you like the idea, plz post your comments, or PM me, or whatever. If I get enough positive feedback on the idea, I will put it up.*
4. Not sure yet, will think about it more and slowly update....
What do you guys think about my two cents on the matter? Like I said many times, I am not saying ALL games on the GMC are bad! I'm sure that there are plenty that are original, fun, and all around good games! Just most...
Edited by greatchase, 26 November 2006 - 05:56 PM.