189 replies to this topic

#1 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:49 PM

I've decided to make a small example / tutorial you can read to get a better idea for how I do this myself, in the hope that a glimpse into my methods might help you figure out how you might do it.

If you'd rather work offline, you can download the tutorial here, which includes an example GM6 file for testing your models, as well as all the text and images that appear below.

And with that, I present you with my example / tutorial:

Getting your models into Game Maker
One of the most common questions people have when they start working with 3D in Game Maker is how to get their own models into the game. That is what I will try to explain here – hopefully this will clear some things up for anyone who just doesn’t understand the process, or who would like to see how I do it.

To begin, here are the steps that I will go through in this example / tutorial. I won’t cover every little detail of these things, but I will show you how I do it myself, hopefully so as to shed some light on the overall process.

· Constructing the model & exporting the model as an OBJ
· Fix UV coordinates
· Create a texture map
· Import into GM

Of course, just as a painter would be nowhere without his brush, we would be nowhere without tools to help us accomplish our goals. Here is a list of all the tools I am using, with links provided to those that are freely available for you to use.

· Truespace 5
· UVMapper Classic
· Marzipan (by percsich.hu)
· Mosaic Light (by percsich.hu, included in editable)

Constructing the model & exporting the model as an OBJ
Alright, first things first, let’s get a quick little custom model out of the way. I used Truespace 5 to create a simple model, like the one pictured below. You can use whatever object you want. One thing to note though, if you use Truespace to model, you’ll probably notice that it does not export to OBJ file format natively (at least, version 5 and below do not, to my knowledge), so you’ll have to find a plug-in for that. I use a plug-in called Luuv, which you can find here.

Posted Image
My weird blocky model

When you export your model, take note of where it is in your 3D modeler. If the program exports objects relative to the origin of the 3D world, then that will be the default location around which your object rotates when you get it in GM. You can use this knowledge to your advantage though, and pre-plan the axis locations of your objects by exporting them in different places depending on your needs. For now, I recommend placing your object in the world so that the origin is right at the center of it.

Once you’ve got your model exported, find the file and put it somewhere that will be easy to access by your game. I recommend placing it in the same directory as your game while you test – you can always add directories to organize your files later, when you’ve got the details worked out.

I’ve provided a simple example gm6 file that can load models on-the-fly using Mosaic Light. Since I have no idea how you might have your game structured to load models, I think it’ll be best if we use the example program to load and test the model, and you can look at the actual code later. It is simple stuff though, I assure you. If you like, try loading your model into this program right now. Just open up the gm6 and run it. Press Space to load your model. The program will also ask you to load a texture file, but we’ll worry about that later (press Cancel when prompted for a texture). Also, bear in mind that if your object is on an extremely different scale than this program draws, you may wind up seeing a very small or large model in the vew. Adjust your model scales accordingly in your modeler, or edit the code of the viewer to scale your objects itself. When you’re done checking out your model, continue below.

Posted Image
The default view of the model viewer example gm6

One thing I’ve noticed with Truespace is that for some reason, when I export models as OBJ files and import them directly in GM with Mosaic Light without any alterations, they have their normals rounded, so the object appears to be shaded smoothly, even on flat surfaces. To fix this, I import my OBJ files into Marzipan. This step should be unnecessary for most people, but I opted to include it because it probably does pop up every now and then. If your set of tools doesn’t suffer this problem, you can skip the next few paragraphs and resume at the UV mapping section.

Here’s what my model looks like when I import it into GM without any changes, to better illustrate my point:

Posted Image
Note the rounded shading

Edited by FredFredrickson, 19 December 2007 - 05:01 PM.

#2 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:49 PM

Doesn’t look as good as the model in Truespace, huh? No need to worry though, a quick run through Marzipan will fix this. All I have to do is load the object up, and click Tools > Fix normals. After that, it’s safe for me to export the object and continue on. Just click Export > Wavefront OBJ and you’re good to go. Note that if you normally have to rotate your objects back to their original orientation when you import them using Mosaic Light, you won't have to if you open them and save them again with Marzipan, as it will take care of that step for you.

Posted Image
Fixed normals in Marzipan

Fix UV coordinates
At this point, it’d be a good time to adjust the object’s UV coordinates, and generate a texture map for it. We can do that with a handy little program called UVMapper. UVMapper isn’t extremely easy to understand at first, but it’s simplicity flattens the learning curve quite a bit, especially if you’re used to UV mapping models inside your modeler, or some other program. Open up UVMapper, press File > Load Model… and get ready for some excitement. You should see something like below:

Posted Image
Our model after being opened in UVMapper

In order for us to be able to map all sides of the object, we’ll have to generate a new UV map for it. Click Edit > New UV Map to see your different choices for doing so. If you have experience UV mapping, you’ll instantly recognize the different UV map options. If not, let me explain. Each option you see on this list (planar, box, cylindrical, cylindrical cap, and spherical) is a different method of projecting the texture onto the object. Some are better for certain types of objects than others, it will be up to you to learn which would be best for each situation. For my model, I will use a box UV map.

Now you’ll see a menu giving you further options for your map. Though it’s not completely necessary at this point, we’ll set the map size to 512. I also recommend checking the boxes for Split front / back and Gaps in map, as they will help you keep your texture easier to manage. You can check and uncheck these options later as your project sees fit though, as they are handy features either way. When you’re done, you’ll see that the UV map has changed:

Posted Image
Our model after a box UV map has been applied in UVMapper

#3 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:50 PM

You can adjust the positions of each side as you need to in the main window by drawing a lasso around the pieces you want to move and then dragging them to the desired position. Under normal circumstances, I would want to drag the position of the inside walls of the object I made out into the open so that I could texture them easier, but for the sake of your interest, I’ll leave it.

Create a texture map
Now that our UV mapping is done, let’s save the object with it’s new UV coordinates. Click File > Save Model… and you’ll be presented with a window full of options. I usually uncheck some of the options I don’t need, leaving only Export Normals, Export UV Coordinates, and Export UV Mapper Regions checked. Again, your needs may be different, so familiarize yourself the functions of this window and adjust them as you need to.

Finally, it’s time to save the map as an image so we’ll know where we’re going to draw textures. Press File > Save Texture Map… and you’ll see yet another options window. Make sure that the size of the texture here is set to the size that you can use in your game (64 x 64, 128 x 128, 256 x 256, etc), and make sure both sides are set to the same size. For my objects, I usually have to check the box to Flip Texture Map Vertically, but depending on how your modeler exported the file, you may not have to do this. You’ll soon see how this can affect the model when we load it into Game Maker. Save your texture map in the same directory as your model, so it will be easy to find.

Posted Image
The texture map generated by UVMapper

Let’s open up the model viewer example gm6 again, and load up our newly-UV mapped model, and when prompted, our new texture map as well. If you’ve got everything saved correctly, the lines on the texture should map the lines of the mesh of your object, like the picture below:

Posted Image
Our weird blocky model with texture map correctly applied

If they did not, you may have to open your model back up in UVMapper to resave the texture map, but flipped around. Your model may also need to be rotated to be at the same orientation as it was in your modeler (you can adjust this in the code). Once your texture and model are properly aligned, continue on.

Now that we’ve got our model running with the corrected UV mapped texture applied, it’s time to actually make the texture into something other than a bunch of lines. Open the texture up in your favorite graphics editor, and try applying some color to it. I added some simple blocks of color, to give me an idea of what side is which, and to liven it up a little bit:

Posted Image
The edited (colored) texture map

#4 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:50 PM

Pretty simple eh? Not as hard as you might have first thought? There are certainly a lot of steps involved, but once you get used to transferring models from your modeler to GM, it takes no time at all.

Posted Image
The finished model with edited texture map applied

Import into GM
Take a look at the code used to import the model in the example gm6, using Mosaic Light. The code is simple as well:

model = createFromObj(file);  //where file is the file name
tex = background_get_texture(background);  //where background is a background resource in your game
And then to draw this model:

d3d_model_draw(model,0,0,0,tex);  //where tex is the texture you loaded
Of course, you don’t have to allow your users to load their own models; you can load them yourself by supplying the filename into the script yourself. Textures are the same way, simply use a background resource that you have already loaded into your game.

Well, that about wraps things up! I hope that this example / tutorial was useful for some of you, and that it did not raise more questions than it answered. Good luck with your 3D projects!

#5 xygthop3

xygthop3

You may know me from such forums as "Shaders"

• GMC Member
  • 3367 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 08:00 PM

Very Nice Tut. I just hope people take the time to read and understand correctly, so your hard work and time is not wasted.

#6 LordMaksa

LordMaksa

GMC Member

• 72 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 08:47 PM

Cool! Thank you very much! Unfortunately, it's too late today, i'll test it tomorrow! Thanks again, man! :P ;) :ph34r: :D :o

#7 gmjab

gmjab

GMC Member

• 784 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 03:48 AM

A very good tutorial you got there. I like it!.

#8 Euro Boy

Euro Boy

GMC Member

• 80 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:02 AM

+1 stickey. I would like this to be a stickey, so I wouldn't have to hunt this thread down. And it's useful ofcourse.

#9 LordMaksa

LordMaksa

GMC Member

• 72 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 02:31 PM

Damn, i cannot load my house model into the game! :P It says, Unknown funktion or Script "createFromObj"... :blink: Here's the code:
model = createFromObj(GameData/Models/Buildings/house1.obj)
tex = background_get_texture(background18)

#10 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 03:19 PM

LordMaksa, I am beginning to doubt your "experienced user" banner... :P

Obviously an error of "unknown function or script" asking for "createFromObj" is telling you that you are missing the Mosaic Light script. Put that into your game, and try again. Also, use " or ' in your file name for the script.

#11 LordMaksa

LordMaksa

GMC Member

• 72 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:22 PM

My Gosh! Thanks Fred! :P

#12 Pie Person!

Pie Person!

GM 6+ Lover

• GMC Member
  • 1973 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:43 PM

This is the best tut you've done!
Cool.

#13 Vecis

Vecis

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:38 PM

Thank you! Great tutorial and i think i'll understand it ;)

#14 alzable

alzable

GMC Member

• 188 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:23 AM

Great tutorial there! I think it needs to be pinned as this is an unbeleivably asked question and you have explained it well and in depth. :) I may find it in handy some day myself as I have never needed to UV map...yet. :)

alzable

Edited by alzable, 18 December 2006 - 02:24 AM.

#15 wioneo

wioneo

The Profet

• 526 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 03:31 AM

For some reason, after some experimenting, the top half of my texture is now solid black. Before my random changes, the bottom half was black. Can anyone think of a cause for this? I am going to try some other map styles...

EDIT: I apologize for my post, I had only searched the scripts for light but I see it in the code now. I've spent the last two hours repeatedly making and coloring textures that I thought were wrong... I hate not being able to search those code boxes, and thank you for the tutorial.

Edited by wioneo, 20 December 2006 - 03:42 AM.

#16 L_programmer

L_programmer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 108 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 21 December 2006 - 06:14 AM

says createFromObj isint a function or script
why?

#17 wioneo

wioneo

The Profet

• 526 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:15 PM

says createFromObj isint a function or script
why?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have to add the script to your game...

Anyways, is there any way to get the D3D version of the .obj that is exported from UV Mapper and the texture? I get one script that creates three models(If you draw all three in the same place, then they form the model, but the texture doesn't work), and I also get two other scripts that I cannot find a use for. I know that I can just include the .obj's in the executable, but I dislike the way that temporary files are handled.

#18 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:46 PM

If Marzipan is splitting up your objects, you're going to have to use an external model... You can have Marzipan export to .mod format (GM's model format) instead of using internal scripts. That way, the model will be contained in just one file, and you'll still be able to use your UV mapped texture with it correctly.

#19 wioneo

wioneo

The Profet

• 526 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:00 AM

How do you export .mod files from Marzipan? Or did you mean that I should save the model after I imported it to GM?

EDIT: The whole point of saving the script is to remove the necessity of running the CreateFromObj script during run-time. It would be okay if the load bar would wait for models to load... I have never used GM's model saving/loading functions, so I am curious as to how fast they run.

EDIT:: I just saved the model from the model viewer and then used 'd3d_model_load()'(which is very fast) to import it. This is a very effective method, but I would still like to know how to export .mod's from Marzipan...

EDIT::: Where is it stated that ".mod" is the extension for GM models? There is no mention that I saw in the manual, and extensions are irrelevant when you save and load models. So there's really no reason, other than tidiness, to name them as ".mod"s.

Edited by wioneo, 22 December 2006 - 04:25 AM.

#20 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 06:59 AM

How do you export .mod files from Marzipan? Or did you mean that I should save the model after I imported it to GM?

EDIT: The whole point of saving the script is to remove the necessity of running the CreateFromObj script during run-time. It would be okay if the load bar would wait for models to load... I have never used GM's model saving/loading functions, so I am curious as to how fast they run.

EDIT:: I just saved the model from the model viewer and then used 'd3d_model_load()'(which is very fast) to import it. This is a very effective method, but I would still like to know how to export .mod's from Marzipan...

EDIT::: Where is it stated that ".mod" is the extension for GM models? There is no mention that I saw in the manual, and extensions are irrelevant when you save and load models. So there's really no reason, other than tidiness, to name them as ".mod"s.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For Marzipan, simply go to Export GM6.1 Script, and as this function runs through it's workings, it will ask you if you want to save a model file as well. Simply say 'yes' and then you can use the resulting .mod file with GM's d3d_model_load() function. It is not stated anywhere that .mod is the actual extension for GM model files... I just called it that because it is the default extension for Marzipan. Obviously you can use whatever extension you want.

#21 wioneo

wioneo

The Profet

• 526 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 07:15 AM

I stopped using that option in Marzipan because the files would keep growing in size until I used the task manager to end Marzipan. At least now I know what they were...

#22 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 06:13 PM

How many polygons are the models you are using? I believe that might be why you are having a problem like that...

#23 wioneo

wioneo

The Profet

• 526 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 07:49 PM

Well, according to the Anim8or info screen, the Marzipan exported .obj file has 706 faces. All of the faces appear to be triangles, that is unlike the anim8or exported version which has quadrilaterals, pentagons, etc...

#24 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 08:24 PM

Hmm, well I am not sure why Marzipan would hang when trying to write the model file, but I suggest you contact it's creator about that, if you think it is a bug.

#25 muslim power

muslim power

GMC Member

• 540 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:15 PM

· Truespace 5
· UVMapper Classic
· Marzipan (by percsich.hu)
· Mosaic Light (by percsich.hu)

@FRED: after experimenting with different sort 3D models and different types 3D games (trying to make Driver 2, Counterstrike etc.) I discovered that POTVER CONVERTER is better than Marzipan (Wile at first I thought it was the other way around). So maybe you can put that one in you’re list to.

Yes Marzipan gets stuck more often then Potver (planet of the Vegetables)

Edited by muslim power, 23 December 2006 - 10:18 PM.

#26 Necro-Dragon

Necro-Dragon

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:54 AM

I wanted to point out that... oh well, thanks for the UV mapper thing, i wondered how ppl figured out where bits of texture should go.

#27 coolsmile

coolsmile

Programmer

• 1346 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:51 AM

Not bad :ph34r:, I use the same method except for the 3d modeler :P
It's the only method though :GM007:

#28 yoshi_gamer

yoshi_gamer

GMC Member

• 131 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:22 PM

Can you use more than 1 texture on a model? I have a model done in 3d studio max and i applies different textures to different faces. How do i apply numerous textures to 1 model? thanks!

#29 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:15 PM

No, you can't. If you want to use multiple textures, you've got to either split up the model into multiple parts, or re-UV map and construct a new texture for the object. Please read the first few posts in the topic, and you'll see how to do that.

#30 mr.diamond

mr.diamond

GMC Member

• 28 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:54 PM

What is a... u-v coordinate? :)

I´d really like too use this, as I´m working on a 3d platformer...

EDIT:Nevermind, truspace turned out too be way too expensive,
I mean... 595 dollars!? ;)

Got any other compatible program?

Edited by mr.diamond, 24 January 2007 - 03:09 PM.

#31 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:19 PM

UV coordinates are used to map textures onto models. There are many free tools you can use to create models, like Anim8tor or Blender.

#32 Sutomapro

Sutomapro

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:16 AM

edit: //sorry, there was already talked up about blender (my fault)

Edited by Sutomapro, 28 January 2007 - 11:18 AM.

#33 johnsson man

johnsson man

GMC Member

• 69 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:13 AM

thx for this amazing tutorial i really used it for my models :unsure:

#34 ce gamer

ce gamer

GMC Member

• 134 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:35 PM

Yust a question, why is this topic pinned and not yust put in the F.a.q. And Recommended Topic List?

#35 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:05 PM

Because that's just the way the 3D forum works I suppose... <_<

#36 vilks

vilks

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:15 PM

I want to ask, i installed 3d max 5 and want to "make" levels and objects with it, how i can import scenes and animations to gamemaker? I tryed to export to *.3ds file and then with marzipan create gm6.1 script, but marzipan opened not this *.3ds file. so can anyone help me? :angry:

#37 Malfroy

Malfroy

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:40 PM

Creating 3D games has always been my biggest dream, but i never figured out how to make them... :angry:

But now, i can say its not my dream anymore, its need more than 12 guys to make, because you need:
-Hundreds of programs
-Lots of Plug-ins
-Dlls and all craps
-VERY good C++ skills
and else...

Not interested...

#38 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:38 PM

I want to ask, i installed 3d max 5 and want to "make" levels and objects with it, how i can import scenes and animations to gamemaker? I tryed to export to *.3ds file and then with marzipan create gm6.1 script, but marzipan opened not this *.3ds file. so can anyone help me? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can't import scenes into GM, you have to export everything as OBJ files (or something else that you can import either directly or via script) and then put it in GM in pieces, if it's too big.

#39 biggoron

biggoron

dura lex sed lex

• 652 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:56 PM

Creating 3D games has always been my biggest dream, but i never figured out how to make them...  :)

But now, i can say its not my dream anymore, its need more than 12 guys to make, because you need:
-Hundreds of programs
-Lots of Plug-ins
-Dlls and all craps
-VERY good C++ skills
and else...

Not interested...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[Off-topic]
- I use Blender, UV mapper classic, Marzipan, GIMP, and, of course, GM. Not exactly hundreds...
- Eh?
- Not necessary.
- Eh?

Unless you were talking about making 3D games outside of GM, or whatever else. Assuming you're talking about what I think you're talking about: "Eh?"
[/Off-topic]

Very nice tutorial. One of the things that mainly put me off using GM's 3D side (besides it's slowness and obvious lack of support) was that I couldn't figure out how to correctly UV map my models. But now I can! Yay! :P

Edited by biggoron, 02 February 2007 - 08:57 PM.

#40 DF Team

DF Team

GMC Member

• 91 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:06 PM

Great tutorial! :(
But what's up with Marzipan? I used Wings3D to create a .obj model, loaded it up in Marzipan to get rid of that unwanted smoothing and saved it as a .obj. The new file Marzipan made was twice the size as the .obj Wings 3D made, what's wrong?
That's not actually related to the tutorial, which is great, but I got over that problem when looking at your tutorial.

#41 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:03 PM

Not particularly sure, though this might be a good question for percsich.hu, who made the program. It might just store some redundant information (like, if you change a polygon over from a triangle strip to a triangle list).

#42 dgroof

dgroof

GMC Member

• 34 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:06 AM

This is great, it only took me 3 seconds to load a VERY detailed model!
It's perfect!

#43 Bursar

Bursar

GMC Member

• 61 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:41 PM

This is great, I got everything working inside a couple of mins. Using Anim8or for modelling you don't even need to mess with Marzipan. Just output your .obj run it through UV Mapper and away you go :D

Thanks a lot.

#44 age-10-game-creator

age-10-game-creator

GMC Member

• 116 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 01:50 AM

how do you upload an anim8or file.

object_add=(C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop\3d Modeling and Animation\Gallery\eye.an8)

This is my script

#45 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:45 AM

I am not quire sure what you are asking about...

#46 kawearo

kawearo

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 07:00 PM

I can`t get treuespace :) ;) :( :( :( :( ........is there any other program i could use

i would realllllllly appriciate it

thx

#47 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 10:42 PM

This is not the place to ask for 3D authoring programs - there are a lot of free ones on the internet, try using Google, I'm sure you'll find some.

#48 the_doominator

the_doominator

Eight Star

• 925 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 11:08 PM

Very useful! Thanks..

Man you're an awesome artist....

#49 royboyjoytoy2

royboyjoytoy2

GMC Member

• 308 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:22 PM

i gave you credit for helping me
"The world will soon see the most successful game ever."

#50 this guy

this guy

GMC Member

• 248 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:31 PM

just wanted to say: try milkshape3d it can save as .OBJ like things really good

it is great and simple it's so good just try it!

site