• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Lazrael

Lazrael

GMC Member

• 22 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:53 AM

STARLIT ZONE FIGHTER

SZF is a horizontally scrolling space shooter, with 6 stages. Now throughout history space shooters have obeyed the same formula more or less: Space Rocket + Hordes of cannon fodder + cool bosses = Space shooter.

SZF indeed uses that same formula or at least tries to, but instead of upgrading weapons, helper drones or whatever you use food to defeat your enemies. Now dont wet you pants just yet, even if they are food they are used as projectiles. There are 6 different types of differently behaving food weapons:

- Orange-attack, the basic blaster
- Banana-rang, have a guess how it behaves
- Cruising Carrot, attacks the nearest enemy, dead or alive
- Strawberry lift, floats upwards
- Watermelon shotgun, shoots 5 bullets in a shotgun like fashion
- Chili Fire, hot burning chili, no special tricks but a high damage

These weapons do not all appear on the first stage, but from stage 3 onward they are all at your disposal. Now the trick with these weapons are that you have to catch them up, and spit them at your enemies. Each bite will transform into 3 rounds of attacks.

I've yet again included the editable, but currently it is very badly commented so I intend to comment just about everything and update the package, but in the meanwhile you will have to suffice without proper commentary. And as usual, go ahead and use the graphics and scripts all you want, just dont go telling everyone that you made it/give credit to where credit is due. You know how it goes.

Sounds simple enough rite? Well it is.

Now, the game starts easy, but gets HARD fast. Stage 3 might be too much for most of unexperienced space shooter players, but practice makes perfect.

I bet you are all burning to know how it looks, amirite? Well here's a screenie alyough a bit blurry:

Posted Image

Also a video of ingame gameplay, although the video is bigger than the game, and a LOT blurrier so I just suggest you get the game not the video.

http://video.google....638796075058950

Since I like the possibility to customize games, I've added a feature to change the scenery to your liking. Replace the files in the folder with .bmp files of the same size as the original and it should work just fine.

Both keyboard and gamepad can be used to play this. With keyboard:

Arrows = Move
C = Eat
D = Spit
F4 = Windowed/Fullscreen
ESC = Help boss is coming, oh thank the lord a panic button

You can also use the mouse to control the little fighter. You need a scroll mouse though, since scrolling up actiavtes the mouse control while scrolling down deactivates it.

I think that covers everything just nicely:

http://lazrael.avala.../crap/SZF_1.zip

Enjoy.

#2 Sir.Brian

Sir.Brian

GMC Member

• 31 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 01:24 AM

> yay, it's done ! :rolleyes: nice schmupy..

#3 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:45 PM

The video was really cool, I wonder if I'll ever get that far... Well, I with some practice, anything's possible. Really cool graphics and quite original gameplay. Lovely as usual, Lazrael! :mellow:

I wonder how this got to the second page with only one reply :rolleyes:

Edited by cactus, 04 October 2006 - 04:45 PM.

#4 im9today

im9today

Not actually nine

• 219 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:38 PM

I've made it that far and by that point things get pretty crazy. I can't seem to make it past that boss though, although I think I've almost made it a few times. :rolleyes: My non-gamer friends saw me playing this and were pretty impressed; one guy even wanted me to ask you to put in a two-player mode if it's possible.

Another great finished game Laz, you're on a roll. :mellow:

#5 Lazrael

Lazrael

GMC Member

• 22 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 10:05 AM

There seems to be a certain link between all the repliers and the author.

:hmm:

Well I wasn't really expecting people to wet their pants over a space shooter.

#6 dumbman

dumbman

GMC Member

• 19 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:25 PM

Very slick. I'll be playing this some more. The whole package is very coherant too, it looks,sounds, and feels oldschool, but with a new idea, good job.

#7 fenris78

fenris78

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:58 PM

A very original idea, i love that retro style.

¡¡i only want a little more ammo!!

#8 Kapser

Kapser

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1636 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 02:19 AM

Pretty nice concept, well done game. Died only at second boss but I'll try again later with my gamepad plugged and try to finish game :blink:

#9 DiSylph

DiSylph

GMC Member

• 32 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 04:34 AM

Though I haven't gotten very far yet I enjoy this game. The controls, graphics, sound and music are all very well done and come together to make a very satisfactory experience. The music in particular really stood out. I took a look in the credits and saw that you are also a fan of chorensha :blink: . Keep up the good work.

#10 J_B

J_B

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 177 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:21 AM

This is great! It would be cool if you could change the background sets with the digits or something so you could have multiple graphics loaded. Although it doesn't really matter because you gave the editable anyway. The only other thing that I would like to see is some sort of indicator to tell you how many shots you have left before your current food runs out. All in all a very nice little game though! (The musics cool too!)

#11 Deadheat

Deadheat

Retro Maniac

• 659 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:42 AM

Nice work. I got annoyed when I didn't have any ammo and was flying around blindly trying to get some. I found that detracted from the game quite a bit personally =-/ The player's movement seemed a bit slippery aswell imo, but it was all put together nicely and I made it to stage 2 :blink:...then the giant pacman got me xD

#12 fprefect111

fprefect111

GMC Member

• 170 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:48 AM

It's a cool game, but for some reason I couldn't get the controls working properly. I couldn't shoot with the keyboard, couldn't move with the mouse. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here, so if you know what's going on I'd like to know... being able to play the game with easier controls would help :blink: The style's great, and the idea is too.

Edited by fprefect111, 06 October 2006 - 11:59 AM.

#13 areus

areus

GMC Member

• 20 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:49 PM

This is by far the funnest game Ive played on game maker ever. The graphics are perfect, The sound is perfect, and the game play is beyond anything Ive seen on game maker. Its more then a 10 out of 10 if you ask me.
:blink:

Maximum respect

#14 AKH

AKH

AKH GAMEZ Owner

• GMC Member
  • 661 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 03:56 PM

A very original idea, i love that retro style.

¡¡i only want a little more ammo!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

More ammo would be good, you know, but apart from that, this is Brilliant! Good Work!

I couldn't shoot with the keyboard, couldn't move with the mouse. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here, so if you know what's going on I'd like to know...

You're supposed to use the arrow keys to move, press C to get ammo then D to shoot.

#15 Jenner

Jenner

Jenner

• GMC Member
  • 904 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 04:08 PM

Fun.. but strange.. I think you should drop the C key, since there is no meaning not to open your mouth, I hold hold it all the time..

#16 mccow28

mccow28

Giant Panda

• GMC Member
  • 679 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:25 PM

Hello complete stranger Lazrael,

Great game. I, like deadheat, thought of the movement as too slippery. In typical space shooter I would have been missed by the bullets by a hair, but on this one my guy slides into the bullet. <_<

Nice moosik/graphics/etc. Would have been cooler to have some variety in the levels ["Now entering Salsa Land/Bananaville/New Hampshire/Etc."] Other than that, it's awesome.

#17 im9today

im9today

Not actually nine

• 219 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:37 PM

Fun.. but strange.. I think you should drop the C key, since there is no meaning not to open your mouth, I hold hold it all the time..

Actually sometimes you want to grab a certain fruit over another one so always having the 'eating' on would be very annoying.

Of course you could do some creative flying to avoid the junker fruit... but you'd probably die. D:

#18 Sertah

Sertah

GMC Member

• 35 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:01 AM

WoW, good game, super fun dude! i rate 9.5/10.0 cause you run out of bullets to easy. but this game i lots fun!!! :D

#19 fprefect111

fprefect111

GMC Member

• 170 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:31 AM

You're supposed to use the arrow keys to move, press C to get ammo then D to shoot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, your readme said C and V.

#20 AKH

AKH

AKH GAMEZ Owner

• GMC Member
  • 661 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 03:38 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, your readme said C and V.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not my game. It's Lazrael's. I was just saying the controls. I never read the controls and so I found out what they were on my own.

Edited by AKH, 10 October 2006 - 03:39 PM.

#21 random

random

completely random

• 798 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:39 PM

+Graphics Style: While the graphics were quite simple, the old-school feel to them was consistent throughout the game. While some games using this style tend to break it by using anti-aliased Arial font, say, even the text of this game keeps in line with the style.

+Graphic Effects: Even the simple graphics don't keep the game from using graphic effects to good use, such as the trail behind the player, the dead enemies falling down, the Z's coming out of the sleeping enemies, etc. These were well-used in this game. Also, notice that the enemies are animated.

+Sound Effects: The sound effects highlighted the important events of the game, such as the boss shooting at you, without being too annoying.

+Sound-Music: The music selection was very good and fit fir the atmosphere of the game.

+++Engine: The engine is smooth and polished, free of bugs. The eating of food to get weapons was a interesting and fun touch that I have not seen other shooting games do (I saw one where eating the food just gave you points though...)

++Difficulty Curve: The game curves nicely. The first two times I played, I died on level 3, the next time it was level 4, and then it was level 5. This shows that the curve is for the most part smooth. A great thing about this game was that each boss is actually harder than the previous boss (even the commercial game Sonic couldn't get this right).

+Replay Value: The reasons for replaying it after you beat the game are not as much, but it does take several attempts to do this.

+Customizability: This was an interesting touch to the game. Haven't really used it that much but it definately works.

-Score not displayed: It would be nice to have the score displayed in-game, so we know what kills gives us how many points.

-Controls in Readme are wrong and are not given in-game: Self-explanatory. Easily fixed.

-Difficulty Curve quibble: The second miniboss is WAY hard the first few times you play it. And what's up with it being repeated again later (especially since you have better weapons by then?), other than maybe it having more health?

-Use of a Mario Sound Effect: If you're going to rip sounds, at least try to use super-generic ones or ones from obscure games that I'm not going to recognize. :P

~Customizability: gamepad.txt is GML code? A person could probably hack if he knew enough of the game (but you give us the editable anyway, so it probably doesn't matter). Just make sure you don't have this if you ever make an online-highscore game.

Score: +7 ;) Great game.

Notice there isn't really a maximum or minimum score in my system, so I still need to review several more games so I get my benchmarks down pat.

#22 fuse

fuse

GMC Member

• 254 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 09:48 PM

Wow. I like your graphics style. It is similar to mine.

This game is pretty good like your other game Poyo. It's a shame that I can't beat the second stage yet. I'm excited to see more of your games in the future. =D

9.5/10

#23 E-magination

E-magination

GMC Member

• 773 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:39 PM

Nice and polished, tough not perfect.

"Kirby meets Gradius"

#24 Infernus

Infernus

I'm not admin, i'm a

• 184 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:27 PM

Very good game, I love the graphics.

#25 Lazrael

Lazrael

GMC Member

• 22 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 08:52 PM

-Use of a Mario Sound Effect: If you're going to rip sounds, at least try to use super-generic ones or ones from obscure games that I'm not going to recognize. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't recall having mario sfx in there. I do have Guardian Legend sfx though.

#26 Buff-Robotix

Buff-Robotix

Who Took My Pants!?!

• GMC Member
  • 314 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:07 PM

Nice Game! probably better than any thing I could make.

#27 mccow28

mccow28

Giant Panda

• GMC Member
  • 679 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:50 PM

I don't recall having mario sfx in there. I do have Guardian Legend sfx though.

If it's not from Mario, it does sound suspiciously like it. :D snd_1up and snd_bullet2 that is.

Congrats on the Cage-Match-being-in.

#28 TCGamer

TCGamer

Zelda Freak

• 723 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 08:00 AM

Great game! Very professional. I give it a 8.5/10

-- TC

#29 JMchaos

JMchaos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 02:44 PM

Wow this is really good, i like the graphic style you used even though its simple, It makes it seem like in the same world as last game ''Poyo''

#30 sinkhead101

sinkhead101

sinkhead.net

• 483 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:05 PM

Great game, but on the bosses maybe your character could turn around when he went onto the other side of the boss?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users