• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Lazrael

Lazrael

GMC Member

• 22 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:32 PM

** POYO **

Poyo is a platformer, based on using quick reflexes and the like to manuever your way through each level. Poyo features a total of 45 normal levels and 6 bosses, divided into 5 worlds. So it is somewhat long in the first run at least. It may take you a good 3 hours to get through it, and it could take you even years if you put the game on and leave your computer on for a year or two. The point is that Poyo isn't a short game. The game is carried along with a vague storyline of a kingdom called Netherwurld fallen into the hands of a tyrant, and the struggle of a little blue creature seeking his way to freedom.

And offcourse, at this point screens are a must:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

There we go! For more screens, go to
http://lazrael.avala...p/Poyo_Screens/

Now with that out of the way, lets talk about the features. Poyo is only a simple little... thing, but he has a magnificent way of traveling through the Netherwurld. Warping. Other than warping Poyo can handle the basics of any other platformer; Jumping and walking. Other features include editing a text file to change various aspects of the game, such as the protagonists color.

The game features full support for both keyboard and gamepad, and has a nice and user-friendly system to customise any of the controls. Not only that, but you are given the freedom to change some of the game's resources as well. The game contains chiptune music and 5 tilesets that are completely exposed for the evil users to temper with.

And perhaps the biggest thing to the amateur game making communities out there, the package comes with the original editable GM file. This too is at your disposal.

The editable is very horribly commented though, but you can get around to it if you have supernatural brain power. Some of the coding may be a little sloppy or unnecessary also.

Just remember, even if you have the editable, you are allowed to use the resources and scripts that are there, but YOU ARE NOT entitled to claim them or THE GAME ITSELF as yours, as any man or woman with a morale spine can understand.

So, I think that wraps up everything just nicely.
Here is the link so you can get to play already.

http://lazrael.avala..._Official_1.zip

I've made some bug fixes and updated stuff, but you most likely wont even notice if you have played it before. This is the third I believe. I've also updated the credits part now that it has come to my knowledge who made those fabulous module music files I so coldheartedly just use.

The archive entry of gamemakergames is here if you care:
http://www.gamemaker...?a=view&id=4862

Also just as a sidenote, press Q to return to the main menu, Esc is sorta the panic button that exits the game immeadiatly. F4 for fullscreen and windowed.

I copied this from my GMG topic so if there are some references to GMG it's because I am lazy and couldn't be arsed to remove them.

#2 scoochi2

scoochi2

GMC Member

• 146 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 09:38 PM

I just tried it and it was really good! I stopped at 19 or something like that though. A few things to mention:
  • The download includes an executable and an editable. The executable more than doubled the download size, and because I'm on narrowband, it took a lot longer to download. If you send out a .gm6/.gmd etc, a .exe is generally not needed as people can create an executable themselves, if required.
  • I use 1024*768 resolution and the game seemed tiny! That being said, I thought it actually improved on the game, except for the introduction when I really had trouble reading the text. Larger font size should sort that though.
  • Several game features actually allowed the players to cheat. One of them is the warping. I found very early on that if you warp downloads when you are in one of the 'upstreams', that you can skip most of a level. I also managed this is the speed race 1, or whatever it was called when I didn't make it through the last block in time :lol:
    This also contributed to me getting stuck on a level. I think it was 19. I warped downwards where the block normally stops the upstream. Then the blocks came back and I got stuck :'(
  • If you warp into certain places (like the things you have to warp through) so that where you will end up is not free space, you actually warp and 'teleport' back to where you were standing before. Whilst not actually detracting from the game or causing a nuisance, I just thought I'd let you know.
  • The main purpose of the game is to get to the end, right? To finish all the levels. But at the main menu you can skip to whichever level takes your fancy (but I didn't!).
    Maybe you could add a timer for each level and record the best times for each. Then, the players may be able to see a list of all the levels and the best times on record (with no times for uncompleted levels). This would encourage replay as well as 100% completion.
Overall, I think what is there is very good, with only minor things wrong that I mentioned above. I'll give it 9/10 for what I saw, keep up the good work!

#3 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 09:38 PM

This is pretty cool. I like the music. Don't really understand the story though (wasn't paying attention). The 2nd boss is really hard. I fanally beat it, which it turns out was quite easy once I learned which box to jump from.

#4 Lazrael

Lazrael

GMC Member

• 22 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:22 PM

• The download includes an executable and an editable. The executable more than doubled the download size, and because I'm on narrowband, it took a lot longer to download. If you send out a .gm6/.gmd etc, a .exe is generally not needed as people can create an executable themselves, if required.

It is true that the size would go down without the .exe, but it uses a few registered features, so people who don't have registered version cannot play it without modifying the code. Or something like that, I can't remember how it goes. Also I'm not giving this out in GM-only communities so the .exe is also for those who dont have/dont want GM on their comps.

• I use 1024*768 resolution and the game seemed tiny! That being said, I thought it actually improved on the game, except for the introduction when I really had trouble reading the text. Larger font size should sort that though.

Did you use F4 for fullscreen, or was that messy? The game runs on 320x240 resolution although I didn't set it in the options in case someone wants to play it windowed. You could set the resolution yourself through the editable. That way you dont have to use the sorta messy F4 stretching.

• Several game features actually allowed the players to cheat. One of them is the warping. I found very early on that if you warp downloads when you are in one of the 'upstreams', that you can skip most of a level. I also managed this is the speed race 1, or whatever it was called when I didn't make it through the last block in time :lol:
    This also contributed to me getting stuck on a level. I think it was 19. I warped downwards where the block normally stops the upstream. Then the blocks came back and I got stuck :'(

Well the warping requires a lot of skill mostly to skip parts of a level, but yes in some levels that too is possible. From the description of the situation in level 19 I think you got stuck in one of the 'puzzles' of that level and the only way to get out is suicide. It was sorta intended.

As a sidenote I really haven't gotten any feedback on cheating in the levels until now so you must be some sorta platforming master to be able to find such spots when others cant!

• If you warp into certain places (like the things you have to warp through) so that where you will end up is not free space, you actually warp and 'teleport' back to where you were standing before. Whilst not actually detracting from the game or causing a nuisance, I just thought I'd let you know.

Well he can't warp into a solid area so he simply retracks to his original position before the warp. It's a gameplay solution. He has to end up somewhere non-solid after all.

• The main purpose of the game is to get to the end, right? To finish all the levels. But at the main menu you can skip to whichever level takes your fancy (but I didn't!).
    Maybe you could add a timer for each level and record the best times for each. Then, the players may be able to see a list of all the levels and the best times on record (with no times for uncompleted levels). This would encourage replay as well as 100% completion.

If you were able to access all levels at startup then I've must of forgotten an old progress.txt file in the package. The progress.txt defines what level you start at and how many levels are open for you. The idea of the level selector of the main menu is offcourse to replay the old allready passed levels.

Anyways thanks for your post, it was very informative and worth reading.

#5 rbelmont000

rbelmont000

GMC Member

• 113 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:09 AM

I haven't finished the game yet, but I think it is really fun. I like the Cavestory-style art and I was wondering if that is what you were going for, because the graphics do look nice.

#6 johnmyster

johnmyster

GMC Member

• 295 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:07 AM

Wow, this is a really good game! The level design and gameplay is fun, and feels almost like a commercial game. The sounds and music were pretty good, and the graphics were good too. They reminded me of The Cleaner by darthlupi.

#7 rbelmont000

rbelmont000

GMC Member

• 113 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:05 AM

Going back and looking at Cave Story's graphics, I realized that at the most I could say that this game's graphics are reminisent of Cave Story's.

Anyway, it is a fun game and I really like the teleport idea.

#8 moril

moril

GMC Member

• 19 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:10 AM

Very good game with nice graphics. I haven't had much time to play it :lol:
Great Gameplay. 8.5/10

Edited by moril, 14 September 2006 - 12:35 PM.

#9 dadio

dadio

I miss my cupcake

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 1975 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:09 AM

Up with the very best GM games. I really like this. Graphics are gorgeous, music & sounds suit everything perfectly, gameplay is great & glitch free (so far), difficulty ramps up nice & slow.. really nice & professional.
*&*.. you give the .gm6 so everyone can see exactly how you made it, making a big contribution to the community.
10/10
My only crits/advice would be the font used for story intro is much too small & difficult to read.. a simpler, bigger font would work much better at this resolution..
& a small "moves" tutorial would be nice.

I look forward to seeing any games you make in the future.
Goodluck.

Edited by dadio, 11 September 2006 - 10:10 AM.

#10 artist

artist

GMC Member

• 145 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:22 PM

cool game!

its kind of hard to control poyo though. :D

#11 scoochi2

scoochi2

GMC Member

• 146 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:22 PM

Well the warping requires a lot of skill mostly to skip parts of a level, but yes in some levels that too is possible. From the description of the situation in level 19 I think you got stuck in one of the 'puzzles' of that level and the only way to get out is suicide. It was sorta intended.

As a sidenote I really haven't gotten any feedback on cheating in the levels until now so you must be some sorta platforming master to be able to find such spots when others cant!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol. Well when I test a game I don't just test how it plays. I go round looking for ways I can do stuff I shouldn't be able to, or stuff that would leave the player with no option but to restart. I figured out the 'warp down' thing on the second level (where being forced to jump+warp) and found it very easy on level 4 just to warp down the upstream to the level end.
On level 19, it is not part of the puzzle. The location I got trapped was directly below the vanishing/reappearing block. Because I warped down the upstream. I'll edit with a screenshot later.
EDIT: Posted Image

If you warp into certain places (like the things you have to warp through) so that where you will end up is not free space, you actually warp and 'teleport' back to where you were standing before. Whilst not actually detracting from the game or causing a nuisance, I just thought I'd let you know.[/list]

Well he can't warp into a solid area so he simply retracks to his original position before the warp. It's a gameplay solution. He has to end up somewhere non-solid after all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I mean when you warp somewhere that is solid (like a wall), you warp towards it and back again (like bouncing). But with the 'warp-through-only' walls, you warp towards it but don't bounce back. You just appear back where you started.

But anyway, like I mentioned there I go round looking for trouble, so don't worry about any of those things. The only thing really is the size of the text in the intro. :D

Edited by scoochi2, 11 September 2006 - 04:38 PM.

#12 Lazrael

Lazrael

GMC Member

• 22 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:02 PM

No, I mean when you warp somewhere that is solid (like a wall), you warp towards it and back again (like bouncing). But with the 'warp-through-only' walls, you warp towards it but don't bounce back. You just appear back where you started.

Yeah this is how it's supposed to work. The warp-thros are solid too but they become non-solid while the warp is on. If the warp ends before Poyo is out from the warp-thro object Poyo's warp has failed and he goes back to his origin.

Also since no one else has ever got stuck on that part of that level I can't be arsed to change it :--). (Level 19)

Edited by Lazrael, 11 September 2006 - 10:02 PM.

#13 Kapser

Kapser

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1636 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 03:06 AM

I just made it to the world2, this is an awsome game :D Nice engine and pretty good level desing

edit: Just did it to the desert. This game is one of my favorite game maker game. The difficulty curve is perfect!

Edited by Kapser, 12 September 2006 - 05:52 PM.

#14 Polystyrene Man

Polystyrene Man

Fake Plastic Fun

• 702 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:17 PM

This is quite possibly the greatest Game Maker platform game that I've ever played. So why isn't this great game getting the attention it deserves? Ohhh yeah, I almost forgot. We're at the GMC.

This game had a nice classic feel to it; everything from the graphics to the sound effects to the background music was exceptional. The levels were well-laid out and highly addictive. I would have finished the first world if it wasn't for the boss. That frog was way to hard for me. Thankfully you've given out the .gm6 so I'll be able to skip all the bosses :angry:.

For God's sake people, comment on these good games. Give it the attention it deserves!

#15 subsonic

subsonic

GMC Member

• 222 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:02 PM

This is quite possibly the greatest Game Maker platform game that I've ever played. So why isn't this great game getting the attention it deserves? Ohhh yeah, I almost forgot. We're at the GMC.

Amen.

Nice game seriously!

#16 scoochi2

scoochi2

GMC Member

• 146 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:14 PM

I only managed to complete it this afternoon :angry:

It was really good right up to the end.
I'm now spending my time designing levels for this great game and playing around with the default.txt, such as changing jump power to 15 and gravity to 0.0001.
It just enhances it really. Most of the levels need a serious rethink when playing with those changes because some things are harder and some are easier! (like the levels where you have to climb are basically just a single jump :P)

I recommend everyone at least try this game, even if you dislike the genre. It is highly recommended!

#17 DavidX

DavidX

Scorching Back

• GMC Member
  • 369 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:37 PM

Hmm...Looks like a good game. I'm downloading it, and I'll try to change the editable to GM5, since I can't play GM6 :angry:

#18 Lazrael

Lazrael

GMC Member

• 22 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:29 PM

Well for those who want to look at the editable let me warn you that the commentary is extremely craptastic. But you can also just modify the default.txt like scoochi2 did. Or the progress.txt if you are stuck.

For those who don't have registered version, there's about 3 spots with registered functions that aren't necessary for the game to run properly. Image_blend in the engine script is one and there is a image_blend in the warp effect too I think. Just so that you know.

Now then, thanks for all the comments and all but I'd really hope you guys would punch me in the face with some critique. Personally I find few of the levels really shabby, like the spike levels in W4 and Fragile Tower.

But anyways thanks for the comments and all.

#19 artist

artist

GMC Member

• 145 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 02:29 PM

can someone please tell me how to beat world 4,level 32?????

i cant get up to any platforms,or goto the right because that gun always shoots me & kills me.:(

#20 scoochi2

scoochi2

GMC Member

• 146 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 03:40 PM

Do beat that level, open up the editable and delete the instance of the exit object. Then create a new one right near where you start :(
If you want the proper way to do it, here you go (I'll post in white so you'll have to highlight it to read, this will mean that anyone who wants to figure it out themselves cannot accidentally read it!):

At the start, warp into the pump in the left corner many times, until the water level is at or near the top of the level. Then, jump and warp up onto the blocks, and over the top. Warp into the change block thing, go down and to the right before the blocks come back. Jump up and warp to the left.
Go through the up only block, and warp into the second pump block until there is no or little water left.
Warp into the second change block thing and jump down the right side. Warp through the gap before you hit the spikes. Finally, just fall past the laser cannon and into the 'pit', where the exit is. Easy!

Now good luck with the next level! lol

#21 artist

artist

GMC Member

• 145 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 07:23 PM

Do beat that level, open up the editable and delete the instance of the exit object. Then create a new one right near where you start  :(
If you want the proper way to do it, here you go (I'll post in white so you'll have to highlight it to read, this will mean that anyone who wants to figure it out themselves cannot accidentally read it!):

At the start, warp into the pump in the left corner many times, until the water level is at or near the top of the level. Then, jump and warp up onto the blocks, and over the top. Warp into the change block thing, go down and to the right before the blocks come back. Jump up and warp to the left.
Go through the up only block, and warp into the second pump block until there is no or little water left.
Warp into the second change block thing and jump down the right side. Warp through the gap before you hit the spikes. Finally, just fall past the laser cannon and into the 'pit', where the exit is. Easy!

Now good luck with the next level! lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well,i already tried what u said.my only problem is i cant get up onto the blocks up above!!
i can warp twice,but i never can seem to quite get high enough to get up onto the block.how exactly do u get up there?? thats the only thing i need to know.
if i dont get help on this,i guess ill just cheat.

#22 scoochi2

scoochi2

GMC Member

• 146 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 07:40 PM

When you press the jump key, keep it pressed.
You only do smaller jumps if you tap it.
When you are at the peak of your jump, warp upwards.
If you are underwater, you will jump higher.

#23 artist

artist

GMC Member

• 145 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 07:44 PM

thankyou scoochie2!! i got it now! :(

thanks!

#24 Scotley

Scotley

Scotleys Studios

• 244 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 10:55 AM

Nice game, I didnt find out about this game from here, but found it as one of the free games in the current issue of PC Powerplay Magazine. One of the top selling PC Gaming magazines in Australia and New Zealand. WOW!!!

#25 Fr4sbokz

Fr4sbokz

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:10 PM

This game is just prefect! You're a genious! :huh:

#26 Lazrael

Lazrael

GMC Member

• 22 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:24 AM

Nice game, I didnt find out about this game from here, but found it as one of the free games in the current issue of PC Powerplay Magazine.  One of the top selling PC Gaming magazines in Australia and New Zealand.  WOW!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's pretty crazy. They have like some demo cd with the magazine with games on it?

#27 JMchaos

JMchaos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:25 PM

Wow I just beat the first boss and I must say, Im quite impressed. This game is really fun and its about damn time a really good platformer made with gamemaker came out. Im making a long platformer myself, I look forward to actually beating this game. Great job!

#28 MaxAstro

MaxAstro

GMC Member

• 55 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:48 AM

Very nice game! Couldn't stop playing until I beat it... All in all, I have very few complaints, most of the levels and bosses were very well done. One thing is that the first boss is almost harder than the second boss... The water boss is VERY hard to beat, but I guess that makes sense. Fragile Tower was probably the most annoying level by far; I think it needs a little more solid ground.

Also, is it intentional thank you can double-warp Pikachu-style from a standing start? (i.e., if you are on the ground and you warp up, or sideways off a ledge, you can then warp again in mid-air in any direction by quickly holding a direction and hitting warp repeatedly) Even if it isn't intentional, I reccomend leaving it in as it makes certain levels MUCH easier.

Anyway, nice game.

Oh, one glitch: For some reason when I got to the second form of the final boss, my keys got temporarily messed up, so that Z would jump and I couldn't warp. I had to kill myself a few times to get it to go away. Any idea what could cause that?

#29 Scotley

Scotley

Scotleys Studios

• 244 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 08:58 AM

Yeah, It was on the cover disc as a free game (see my last post for those who dont understand this)

Im wondering if the author knew, cause if it was me, I would definatly have shouted it around in this topic.

Congrats for a nice game :D

#30 haleboop

haleboop

GMC Member

• 61 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:03 AM

Cool game.
it was interesting talking to all wierd people.

I played it until i came to fragile tower because it was all to hard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users