• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 KC LC

KC LC

Ex-Administrator

• GMC Elder
  • 5309 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:50 PM

I made this back in February but then I forgot all about it. We were using an oscilloscope in physics lab and we made some Lissajous figures.

So I decided to make a GM oscilloscope so I could play with them. Here's a screenie (the trace isn't complete because the screen capture misses part of it):

Posted Image

kc_scope.zip (1 Mb)

You can get different figures by sliding the "frequency ratio" control. The best ones (IMO) are at 1.01 and 0.5.

(Also, there's an Easter Egg hidden somewhere :blink: )
Geometricks 3D Rendering Demo / In Silico 3D Kinematics Simulation
Warped Space 3D Gravity Simulation / Surface Explorer Animated Surface Demo
Oscilloscope Animated Lissajous Figures

Featured Games at YoYo: Drop in the Bucket, Tut's Test(3rd place competition winner)

Older games at: Flying Banjo Games

#2 grandhighgamer

grandhighgamer

Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 3876 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:58 PM

That was the easiest easter egg ever!
Personally I don't really think its much use but It does look nice.

At below post: It would not be an easter egg if everyone just shouted it out, I worked it out by glancing at the screenshot, very easy to spot.

Edited by grandhighgamer, 05 August 2006 - 08:01 PM.

GHG WUZ ERE

#3 comspy

comspy

Veni Vidi Vici

• 990 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:59 PM

where is the easter egg?

#4 KC LC

KC LC

Ex-Administrator

• GMC Elder
  • 5309 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:29 PM

That was the easiest easter egg ever!

lol... you're right. I made no effort to hide it. I was messing around with a space flight simulation and I wanted to get that "warp speed" effect. It looks neat at the very fastest... and the very slowest setting.

Personally I don't really think its much use but It does look nice.

Thanks. You're right there's no real point other than to explore the Lissajous FX.

Featured Games at YoYo: Drop in the Bucket, Tut's Test(3rd place competition winner)

#5 MS-DOS

MS-DOS

Bad command or filename

• 428 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:40 PM

That was easy to find... Anyway It was cool. itd make a nice screensaver

#6 xygthop3

xygthop3

You may know me from such forums as "Shaders"

• GMC Member
  • 3367 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:33 PM

this is really nice, try the freq ratio at -0.03, and both hor and ver scales up full.

Edited by xygthop3, 05 August 2006 - 09:34 PM.

#7 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 10:12 PM

Pretty interesting, and fun to play with for a while. I think I liked the starfield thing better than the oscilloscope, but it was still neat. :blink:

#8 KC LC

KC LC

Ex-Administrator

• GMC Elder
  • 5309 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:04 AM

Yeah, the warp speed effect is probably more fun (and more useful for games in the long run).

Try slowing it down all the way and you can see the rotating asteroids coming in.

I built the oscilloscope mainly to explore sliding controls, like on a real physical interface.

#9 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:52 AM

There are a few points of interest (e.g. -1.5, 1.99 and the circle isn't full at 1).

Are you drawing lines between points? I can't imagine GM being fast enough to draw all individual pixels per step. Or maybe you're creating a path, which can be drawn and smoothed much better.

It reminded me of back when I first tried a sine wave animation in Pascal (at the time I wasn't aware they were actually called Lissajous figures). Back in the late 80s, Lissajous-based animations were very popular on home computers.

As for the starfield, is that Tractor lever just there as a teaser? You might as well have painted an eastern egg on the spot right there, by the way. :rolleyes:

#10 grandhighgamer

grandhighgamer

Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 3876 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:59 PM

Are you drawing lines between points? I can't imagine GM being fast enough to draw all individual pixels per step. Or maybe you're creating a path, which can be drawn and smoothed much better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Beizer curves by the look of this (drawn with lines at interpolated points).

GHG WUZ ERE

#11 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:45 PM

Beizer curves by the look of this (drawn with lines at interpolated points).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To my knowledge GM doesn't have a function to draw Bezier curves - paths are the closest thing you can use to draw them.

Edit: Misread your message, I thought you suggested it had one.

Edited by Smarty, 08 August 2006 - 03:47 PM.

#12 KC LC

KC LC

Ex-Administrator

• GMC Elder
  • 5309 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:16 AM

There are a few points of interest (e.g. -1.5, 1.99 and the circle isn't full at 1).

The circle at 1 is full on my machine, but I'm not surprised it might look different on another machine. That's the "gap" between the first and last points caused by the time between re-draws. I played with the vertical scan sync, and I also tried adjusting the frame-rate (room speed). Ultimately, I just set the room speed to max.

Anyway, I'm just calculating 100 points in the Lissajous figure and then "connecting the dots."

It reminded me of back when I first tried a sine wave animation in Pascal (at the time I wasn't aware they were actually called Lissajous figures). Back in the late 80s, Lissajous-based animations were very popular on home computers.

I didn't know they had computers back then. :wacko:

As for the starfield, is that Tractor lever just there as a teaser? You might as well have painted an eastern egg on the spot right there, by the way.

Yes, the tractor lever is turned off in this case. It's a feature I'm working on for another game. Only the warp drive works. And yes, the egg is hidden in plain sight. ;)

#13 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:02 PM

The circle at 1 is full on my machine, but I'm not surprised it might look different on another machine.  That's the "gap" between the first and last points caused by the time between re-draws.  I played with the vertical scan sync, and I also tried adjusting the frame-rate (room speed).  Ultimately, I just set the room speed to max.

Without vertical sync? That would skip frames, wouldn't it?

I didn't know they had computers back then. :(

That's because we managed to keep women away from them for so long. :)

#14 Takagi

Takagi

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 4284 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:34 PM

Looks really... pretty? Darn I sound simplistic in comparison to everyone else's discussion on how KC could have potentially drawn this.

I found the oriental egg on accident. :GM6:

This reminds of the old Windows 95 screensavers (Beziers) and the easter egg reminded me of the "starfield" screen saver. I find all art somehow relevant to screensavers, so that's a plus.

#15 NervaL928

NervaL928

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 143 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:01 PM

Woops... Sorry for reviving a very very old topic (2006)... But I can't get it working D:

It launches, but I don't get anything on the screen. I checked the proccesses in the taskmgr, and I can see the kc_scope.exe running... Help maybe ?

And again, sorry for reviving this topic T-T

Check out Urban Race 2 !

921544SClogospinning.gif601091cgbannergmc.png