Selling Game Maker Games

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
73 replies to this topic

#1 rofllololol

rofllololol

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:42 AM

I read a few topics posted here regarding selling games.

"Can I sell this?" "How good does X have to be to sell it?" "Can I start a website?"

is it illeagle to sell a breakout game even if all the sprites are custom as well as everything else in the game

Do you really think anyone is going to order from a page with spelling as bad as that?

Directory/downloads Website, How do I make one?

You must learn more about web promotion. Otherwise, you're just wasting time.

How Good Does A 2d Game Have To Be To Sell?

Well, i was wandering if i wanted to make money how good of a game would i have to make??
Well Gish is a pretty good game and sells for $32
But Gish was made with Torque2d not gamemaker.

Would i need like better sprites, longer game, or even physics?
Gamemaker is a good program and i think its games should make more money...

So how much effort exactly would a game need to sell for at least $20?

How much effort would you need? How can someone answer that question? 20 hours? 200 hours? I've spent 200 hours on certain things and made $0, and I've spent 20 hours on others and make thousands.

When people go to your order page, they will be "wandering" if someone with bad spelling can manage to actually deliver.

So who are the members of this forum that actually make decent money distributing GM games? There are only two: hpapillon and AlasdairDF.

They both can spell. They are also actually working, not asking questions on this forum.

Edited by Smarty, 12 February 2007 - 09:14 AM.

#2 tdmgames

tdmgames

GMC Member

• 1641 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:37 PM

is it illeagle to sell a breakout game even if all the sprites are custom as well as everything else in the game

I dont see how it wld b illegal if u used the concept, cause u cant copyright an idea! Its like a platform game o no is taht illegal? NO! So u'd just hav to change the name, casue its the name that is copywritten!

#3 Castaras

Castaras

Female Programmer

• 115 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:48 PM

@Rofllololol

Stop worrying about these sorta things, can you? All you're doing is copmlaining about things that are inevitable!

Although, thanks for the advice :)

#4 mikeb33

mikeb33

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 296 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:48 PM

lol, the only topics you've ever replied to is selling games. Stop worrying about if others can sell their creations and do something constructive(like making one :) )

mikeb33

#5 ChubbyMonkey

ChubbyMonkey

GMC Member

• 498 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:06 PM

Directory/downloads Website, How do I make one?

Lol that's my question, I can spell, and it has absolutely no relevence what so ever with anything concerning money.

It is offensive to insult people who you know nothing about.

And in fact I find your advice wrong. What's the point in promotion when you have no content to promote? You finish your website, then you promote.

#6 mentos

mentos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 356 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:48 PM

people can do what they want let them try some people could be succsesful so dont try to say "oh dont sell your games its a stupid idea"
i wish people would just stop trying to tell people not to sell games because its possible to sell games i have seen some people succseful with this so just shut-up.

#7 rofllololol

rofllololol

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:57 AM

I dont see how it wld b illegal if u used the concept, cause u cant copyright an idea! Its like a platform game o no is taht illegal? NO! So u'd just hav to change the name, casue its the name that is copywritten!

You know what's so funny about that post? The last sentence. Let's break it apart and see how you were wrong about what you meant to say and right about something you accidentally said.

You made to tell us the name is protected by copyright. That is incorrect. What you actually told is that the name is "copywritten" - I'm not sure if that's a word, but maybe a professional copywriter wrote the name. A copywriter is someone who writes copy by the way, not someone who files copyright applications.

people can do what they want let them try some people could be succsesful so dont try to say "oh dont sell your games its a stupid idea"
i wish people would just stop trying to tell people not to sell games because its possible to sell games i have seen some people succseful with this so just shut-up.

I have seen people make money due (in part) to Game Maker as well. I never said selling games was a stupid idea for everyone. For example, driving isn't a stupid idea (if you know how to drive), but putting someone who can't move his arms and doesn't know how to drive regardless behind the wheel would be very stupid.

And in fact I find your advice wrong. What's the point in promotion when you have no content to promote? You finish your website, then you promote.

Yes, of course. You don't make a website when you have no idea how to promote it though. First you do your research and see if you'll be able to get a good amount of traffic to the website you plan on creating. You don't just spend lots of time making a website and then thinking "Hmmm, how can I get any traffic to this?"

lol, the only topics you've ever replied to is selling games. Stop worrying about if others can sell their creations and do something constructive(like making one smile.gif )

mikeb33

No, I find affiliate marketing much more lucrative. I used to use GM and I was really bored last night... I guess I could have done something constructive like writing another sales letter, but I felt like I should have some fun. :)

Stop worrying about these sorta things, can you? All you're doing is copmlaining about things that are inevitable!

Finally, someone here that actually might have a brain.

Edited by KC LC, 18 July 2006 - 10:35 AM.

#8 Cronian

Cronian

Triforce King

• 143 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:17 AM

Ahem, Castaras is female.

But I agree with you for the most part. I usually don't download games with titles such as "plz dl my game i spent alot of time on it plz dl," or members with numbers in their names/stupid names. If the member can't spell, it's safe to assume that the game itself has spelling errors, thus making it less enjoyable and preventing people from downloading it in the first place.

Also, games are only able to be sold if...
  • You own the rights to everything used in the game
  • It's high quality
  • You've spent a long time working on the game
  • It's a good, fun, immersive game
If your game doesn't have those, it won't sell. Plain and simple.

But what about applications? Can't we sell those? I hope to sell my Cyrus Media program for, say, $9.99 USD. (Of course, this goes without saying that you can download a free version, which bassically does the same thing, but it doesn't feature ratings and such.)

Anyway, my keyboard and I need sleep.

#9 OpticalLiam

OpticalLiam

GMC Member

• 782 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:00 AM

Remember most of the people here are 8 - 14 years old. They really don't have a clue what they are doing, so just let them be. They will find out when they are older and wiser.

#10 Cronian

Cronian

Triforce King

• 143 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:06 AM

Ah, but what about the ones that are almost 20, such as me? Think about that...

#11 Vertex Productions

Vertex Productions

GMC Member

• 126 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:28 PM

@roflolol
ok you say only 2 people make money from selling there games maybe thats because there the only two who want to sell theres?? ive made a few games of which i and my freinds liked i didnt even consider selling them same goes for most people. Selling the games is one thing but making them is another.
besides if people can sell socks on street corners im sure a game cant be that hard to sell :)

#12 ChubbyMonkey

ChubbyMonkey

GMC Member

• 498 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:22 PM

Yep, We young 8-13 yr olds can't spell anything :)

They do it purposefully. Seriously, I should know. They actually think it looks better to spell it as if they had wrote on a moblie phone and imported it onto a computer.

#13 maker of not so good games

maker of not so good games

Grazing Goat Games

• 276 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 11:14 PM

we do?

#14 GMmarine

GMmarine

GMC programmer/spriter

• 436 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 11:37 PM

There are 8year old people using gm I thought I was young 11 wow.

Anyways where getting off-topic...

#15 barry_degeling

barry_degeling

GMC Member

• 79 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:50 PM

going on topic again ^^:
to rofllololol:
About the spelling: Maybe he's only going to sell in his own country, so his english might be as bad as it is, but not every country's native language is english you know (too bad huh?)

Distributing on a website: most of the users here are kids, and don't know everything about sites and hosting, so just ignore them if you don't like them

Spending effort: most of the people who are trying to sell a game and ask all sorts of dumb questions about it, are kids, and as you may or may not know, kids like money ^^

#16 tdmgames

tdmgames

GMC Member

• 1641 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:22 PM

Thanks Barry! Yes so wot if i am i kid, me, and 3 otha friends r making a fantasy football (Soccer) So we're afta a host at the moment so we no like tons of stuff about it.

#17 ChubbyMonkey

ChubbyMonkey

GMC Member

• 498 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 05:50 AM

There are 8year old people using gm I thought I was young 11 wow.

Anyways where getting off-topic...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Something tells me he was being slightly sarcastic... I don't think an 8yr old could use Game Maker.

#18 barry_degeling

barry_degeling

GMC Member

• 79 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 11:29 AM

I don't think so either, i had a hard time when i began with it when i was 10 (since gm 1.0)

#19 membrain

membrain

GMC Member

• 667 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 05:52 AM

Simply put, rofllololol makes good points, though I don't agree with how he chooses to express them.
The fact of the matter is, Game Dev. as a business is not an easy thing. It takes a lot of time and effort to make the needed contacts and get your product across to the right hands.
There is typically an agenda one must follow in order to be successful with developing games as a business, and starting out is a very difficult thing for anyone to do.

When making a game, the team or individual, as in my case, MUST make sure they have their target market in mind right from the start or the game may be destined to fail. If you don't know what market you want to hit I recomend some research, it always helps.

Of course knowledge of the various skills needed to produce a solid game is a must. How else can you expect to develope a game that is "marketable" to the general public? The only alternative to this would be to find a team and manage them, but that gets very complicated and frustrating, especially when we are talking about remote-managed teams. (been there, done that for years... didnt much care for it)

In short, if your goal is to make a game with the purpose of having it sold, you must... MUST!!! Develope that game from the start with that purpose in mind. This means do the research, create the game, and bust your butt making deals with 3rd party publishers; if thats the rout you choose.

#20 ChubbyMonkey

ChubbyMonkey

GMC Member

• 498 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:44 AM

Looking at the history of many popular game dev. companies, hardly any make their first game and boom they're famous.

Crytek, for instance, started by making EA ports. After time and effort, about a decade, they made crytek engine and hit it big.

You've just got to improve your skills, improve your company (eg. you arn't going to make anything big with one person...) and search around...

#21 leeroyjenkins

leeroyjenkins

Leeeroy Jenkins!

• 340 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 12:33 AM

well, ive learned a lesson from all of this:
dont tell rofllololol that ur trying to sell a game
<_<

#22 -Insane-

-Insane-

GMC Member

• 717 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 01:50 PM

Distributing on a website: most of the users here are kids, and don't know everything about sites and hosting.

Why does everybody think kids aren't as smart/good in coding/whatever as other people?

What's the age got to do with anything?
I myself am 12 years old and I know more than some 20 year old coders I know.
I mean, where's the difference if somebody starts coding with 7, and another at 17.
Does the 17 year old really know more than the 7 year old after five years?

It's supposed that kids have an opener mind than others, and can learn easier.
Of course, tehre are loads of stupid kids, as there are stupid adults, but I hate it when people think that kids are dumber in general.

-Insane

PS: I have nothing against you or your sentance, and I'm not saying that you think as I said, but reading that sentance just sparked my reactions.

Edited by -Insane-, 22 July 2006 - 01:52 PM.

#23 membrain

membrain

GMC Member

• 667 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 05:06 PM

All very good points insane... but generaly speaking, fact of the matter is Life Experience. a kid simply does not have the life experience an adult has... (usualy) And depending on where you live, they also do not have the legal rights to pursue such endeavors.

#24 sinkhead101

sinkhead101

sinkhead.net

• 483 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 05:20 PM

I know XHTML, CSS, PHP, SQL and I can understand Java, Javascript, VB and most other programming languages. I'm not the only in my school who can do this either. Point taken? Please don't stereotype us!

EDIT: And as somebody above me pointed out, some people do this it's 'cool' to type with no respect for any punctuation

Edited by sinkhead101, 22 July 2006 - 05:57 PM.

#25 bob23

bob23

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 06:53 PM

Personally I think that any one who seriously wants to make money in the Video Game industry would try and get a job at a game company or use other alternatives to GameMaker.

I hate it when people think that kids are dumber in general

Well most kids are "dumber" in general when compared to most adults. I don't mean your dumb but I hope you don't think you know more then a professional programmer. :)

#26 Stryke

Stryke

fcuκ

• GMC Member
  • 606 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 11:11 PM

@topic poster: Why do you care? Lol..

#27 evilredfin

evilredfin

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:43 AM

its called uni, do a course on game making that will help you to sell games.

#28 GMmarine

GMmarine

GMC programmer/spriter

• 436 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 01:09 AM

I know XHTML, CSS, PHP, SQL and I can understand Java, Javascript, VB and most other programming languages. I'm not the only in my school who can do this either. Point taken? Please don't stereotype us!
EDIT: And as somebody above me pointed out, some people do this it's 'cool' to type with no respect for any punctuation

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That really hurts, kids in general are dumb. :) Well enough of that,its not cool to not respect punctuation though I trie my best. I'm 11 sure that's a kid I guess, wait i'm 12 tommorow.

Edited by GMmarine, 24 July 2006 - 01:11 AM.

#29 Sureyadid

Sureyadid

GMC Member

• 234 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 01:43 AM

Well,feliz cumpleanos y bueno suerte , GMmarine. (or whatever)

About kids using Gamemaker...

No body ever said kids were less intelligent than adults, what was said was that adults generally have more working knowledge than kids, are are no longer or rarely experimenting with unknowns. Do you still put objects in your mouth to gather information?? Do you still stick your fingers in light sockets and discover it was a bad idea??
It is indeed a fact that was proven by a panel of the worlds top genealogists,psychologists,labotomists, ichthyologists,archeologists,gynacologists,anthrop
ologists, horticulturalists, ento mologists,herpatologists and the world renowned scientist Goerge, that it is quite possible, however unlikely, for a person under the age of six to make use of the most simplest features incorperated into GameMaker.

After all I can't even read yet and, I'm 24, haven't been to school,and was raised on a pig farm with wild flying hippomonkeys.

About selling them...Hey, if you want to sell a game go for it.
ANY person here can sell a game.
making commercial sales would be more difficult though, but don't let that get you down.Just because your game is not selling commercially does not mean that people at your school or maybe even a small local shop might be willing to buy it. So what if Mr.John won't even look at your game let alone buy it. That's only one person out of 6 Billion.
So what if the topic starter has such a negative outlook on future prospects?, who cares about that?
I think you will all get the point.

Edited by Sureyadid, 24 July 2006 - 01:53 AM.

#30 -Insane-

-Insane-

GMC Member

• 717 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:16 PM

No body ever said kids were less intelligent than adults, what was said was that adults generally have more working knowledge than kids, are are no longer or rarely experimenting with unknowns. Do you still put objects in your mouth to gather information? Do you still stick your fingers in light sockets and discover it was a bad idea?

Well, I'm a kid, and I sure don't stick my fingers in light sockets...

-Insane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users