• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:30 AM

A description would be going against the concept of this game. You have to figure everything out on your own, even the controls (although you only use the mouse). How to make progress is up to you to discover!

I've spent a lot of work on this game, so please give it a real chance. There is a very deeply hidden thought behind it that some of you might be familiar with. I think you'll have a hard time finding out what it is, though...

UPDATE 07/08/06
-Select your own color, play in B&W or in a multi-colored version
-Re-arranged the rooms a bit to make it a bit easier to get into
-Tried to fix the break-out bug once and for all.

Screenshots (looks a lot better when in motion):
Posted Image
Illegal Communication in the default green color

Posted Image
And here in a new "neon" colored version

Download (1,32 meg, fullscreen, changes resolution :medieval: )
Mirror

PLEASE EXTRACT BEFORE PLAYING!!!
Walkthrough <- (Don't use unless you have to!)

The game is in the current cage match, feel free to support it by voting for it if you liked it :skull:

Thanks to Ghidorah for the lovely music!

Edited by cactus, 18 September 2007 - 09:43 AM.

#2 E_1337_n00b

E_1337_n00b

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:43 AM

Pretty good, I liked it. The screenshot really degrades it. PEOPLE DONT GO BY THE SCREENSHOT! Graphics are great once there moving! Great physics. Although once I got the circle, I was lost. Thats all im saying.

8/10

#3 brosBM

brosBM

GMC Member

• 139 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:00 AM

I was addicted to this game for almost an hour because I kept saying "what if I try this..." Very innovative idea altogether and I love the smoothness of the simple animated sprites (unless no sprites were used only draw functions =p ). Certain parts of this game skyrocketed my pulse rate like only a challenging type of game can, but one room did border on tedious and took me several attempts- the one with the huge wall of blocks in the middle which is all I'll say. I finally got to a room with "water" on the ground and I think a bug caused the game to create too many objects/particles, so I had to close the it. I took a screenshot of this, but I won't post it here. I'll give it to you, cactus, if you send me a PM. Not sure if I was close to the end of the game at that point but very good original game with constantly morphing gameplay from what I discovered. I'm definatley keeping this one to play more when I'm not about to fall asleep on my keyboard. Keep up the good work!

Edited by brosBM, 11 July 2006 - 09:06 AM.

#4 Doogie_Forever

Doogie_Forever

Dog Warrior

• GMC Member
  • 824 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:51 AM

Very awesome and nice mouse sensitity.

9/10 (1 off because I sucked at it :D)

#5 sir raskasar

sir raskasar

GMC Member

• 886 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:58 AM

really cool game, the gfx reminded me of my GML test gfx hehe.

i guess we like thesame style.

but after i found the small orb.. i didnt know what to do...

8/10

#6 Cobra Banshee

Cobra Banshee

Core Commander

• 822 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:11 AM

Same here, I found the orb but didn't know what would be next. It's quite tedious with a complete restart every time the mouse messes up. But good game anyways, I like the simple graphics.

#7 Kvalsternacka

Kvalsternacka

GMC Member

• 36 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:28 AM

Very cool game! Really like the simplistic graphics and the controls were very smooth.

One thing though, add a self destruct button. I got stuck one time in the floor when going into another room as the robot and another time when picking up (picking down? :D) that box as the robot (the box got stuck in the wall and I couldn't move). Would be nice to be able to destroy yourself and restart from a checkpoint instead of quiting the game and restarting from the begining.

#8 duk_co2000

duk_co2000

GMC Member

• 386 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:36 AM

With a mouse which you use your thumb instead of your wrist, this game is easy. :D

Anyway, I couldn't get past the third level, where the wall only opens when I crash into it, then I start all over).

e_barroga

#9 trickman

trickman

GMC Member

• 197 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:32 PM

just a question, what's the resolution of this game? if it is low then i can't play the game...

#10 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll look into those bugs Kvalsternacka.

bros8M: You were really close to the end. I don't understand what triggers the particle bug. It's happened to me once too.

trickman: The game sets the screen to 800 x 600.

*** SPOILER BELOW ***

Everyone else: To get past the third area, you need the battery from the first room. It'll give you new abillities. Be sure to save your progress before you go to the fourth area, though!

Edited by cactus, 11 July 2006 - 12:52 PM.

#11 discjockykid

discjockykid

GMC Member

• 528 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:51 PM

Very nice. I really like the mono cromatic gameplay. It would be nice if the ball stayed closer to the mouse though because I kept hitting the walls with it. I loved how that thing would spit out your character when you dies :D Very nice keep it up.

#12 Jaydawg3000

Jaydawg3000

GMC Member

• 666 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:24 PM

What the heck are you supposed to do after you get the weird thing on the 3rd stage I can't get passed it

#13 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:35 PM

Thanks discjockykid! The ball doesn't move towards the mouse. You move the mouse to add speed to it. The cursor is actually always in the center of the screen, except for when you aim.

Jaydawg3000: I already gave a hint to the 3rd area, see my comment two posts above yours :D

#14 Sheik06

Sheik06

GMC Member

• 589 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:52 PM

Woah, very original and abstract, nice music and scenario, my genre of game afterall. 9/10. Good work.

#15 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:35 PM

Okay, I've had some complaints about the game being too difficult (especially area five). I've lowered the difficulty slightly and added the option to calibrate your defense orbs. Hopefully, this will make the game a bit more enjoyable for the less skilled players.

#16 The_Cow

The_Cow

GMC Member

• 344 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:39 PM

Yeah, I got that same glitch (as BrosBM). When it happened to me, the ball hit the corner of a block, which may be what causes the bug.

The game's really fun though, it looks really neat too. Saving would be a nice feature though.

Edited by The_Cow, 11 July 2006 - 07:42 PM.

#17 trickman

trickman

GMC Member

• 197 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:40 PM

Then i can't play it...

#18 Kvalsternacka

Kvalsternacka

GMC Member

• 36 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:29 PM

Just beat it. The boss must be one of the most intresting things I've seen from this forum. It made me uneasy killing it. Brilliant.

#19 brosBM

brosBM

GMC Member

• 139 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:23 PM

Yeah, I got that same glitch (as BrosBM). When it happened to me, the ball hit the corner of a block, which may be what causes the bug.

Ya I noticed that when I had that glitch; its as if the projectile got stuck momentarily or was "unsure" of which direction to bounce off the corner.

I played again this morning LMAO as my brother was trying to figure stuff out, and I noticed another minor bug: once I got the bouncer wall thing for the robot it got stuck in a wall and I had to close the game, so a self-destruct button would be nice.

#20 fama_h

fama_h

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 305 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:06 AM

Good game.Its still on my desktop.

#21 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:35 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that bug's been fixed now. Not sure, though. It's kind of hard to tell. It hasn't happened to me more than once.

I noticed another minor bug: once I got the bouncer wall thing for the robot it got stuck in a wall and I had to close the game, so a self-destruct button would be nice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I fixed the bug instead. A self-destruct button would be too cheap. And I fixed another bug that hasn't happened to anyone yet, too. So, yeah. It should be pretty much free of bugs now :)

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Keep it comin' and I'll make sure to create more cool games for ya!

#22 Sheik06

Sheik06

GMC Member

• 589 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 01:36 PM

Uhm, Im kinda stuck and the third level :s. I cant find a secret passage. Any help?

#23 coolsmile

coolsmile

Programmer

• 1346 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 12:06 AM

Very addicting game, I got so into it, I yelled at my computer :rolleyes:

#24 schplurg

schplurg

GMC Member

• Validating
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 12:51 AM

Cool game! I wish I didn't have to start over after getting so far. I'll go eat and try again.

#25 CrazyNinjaMike

CrazyNinjaMike

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 379 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:55 PM

I got to the level where you have to shoot a lot(after 2nd save point)....and well, its too hard to aim because the mouse is right on top of the guy...so you can't really angle your shot AT ALL. because if u do angle it...then you run right into the wall...annoying, so i quit.....
fun up till then though

mikeb33

#26 Ecstatic

Ecstatic

GMC Member

• 232 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 09:34 PM

Mike33, right mouse button, all I'm going to say.

Great game, better than Blockhead, I played till my eyes jurt (not that long.)

#27 i_don't_know

i_don't_know

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 01:44 AM

:( cool game really hard though :( :P

(Is the fourth lvl posible i mean i kept shooting through all that crap and like the path just kept groing)

#28 Arcalyth

Arcalyth

So yeah...

• 479 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 01:53 AM

It was really good. I got up to the breakout part then stopped.

It made me think.. I really like that. The only flaw that I really notice is the constant flashing makes my eyes hurt when I'm moving.

-Halo
Љřςλļўŧђ | Arcalyth.net | 64digits Admin |

#29 CrazyNinjaMike

CrazyNinjaMike

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 379 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:59 AM

Mike33, right mouse button, all I'm going to say.

Great game, better than Blockhead, I played till my eyes jurt (not that long.)

then he should of made a readme with list of controls....
but even after I beat that level, after i push in the 3 buttons. I don't know what to do, it's all confusing, and gives you a massive headache if you play it for too long(and that's only like 10 minutes). Wish the gfx were just nice looking blocks, that didn't flash bright green on a black surface. Cool at first, but gets you headache fast, srry.....stil fun though :(

mikeb33

#30 hughman

hughman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 568 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:43 AM

hmm... can't get past the first part... I take it the thing in the upper right corner somehow allows you to get the battery and opens up some passageways.... haha

#31 Ghostkeeper

Ghostkeeper

That's Logic

• 189 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:03 AM

Stressy game... :S

I like it anyhow.

#32 E-magination

E-magination

GMC Member

• 773 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 11:27 AM

I dont like this game. Its very simple and stylish, but not deep enough and simply to hard. Also the controls are very unresponsive, especially on analog mice.

#33 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for all the comments, guys. I think I've finally fixed the break out bug, but it's really hard to tell (the reason for the bug is hard to figure out, and it's dang hard to know if it's still there or not).

Also, try playing the game when you are in a good and relaxed mood. It can be really frustrating otherwise.

#34 Jap

Jap

GMC Member

• 58 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:25 PM

Also, try playing the game when you are in a good and relaxed mood. It can be really frustrating otherwise.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So we could lose the great mood? :P

The game is really impressive, I liked the idea alot. Didn't go too far (yet) but all the things I could see were nice. And the flashing didn't hurt my eyes yay!

Good game keep em' comin!

#35 Lasher

Lasher

GMC Member

• 53 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:12 PM

I liked the concept, but the controls just seemed really unresponsive. It got to me really quickly, so I couldn't play it for very long.

#36 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:42 PM

You can adjust mouse sensitivity at the intro screen by pressing F2. The controls do take a few minutes to get the hang of, though :(

#37 Canilash

Canilash

GMC Member

• 203 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:43 PM

Very good game. this should go in a cage-match.

I think someone mentioned it before, but i found a bug: if you run under the thing that drops the break-out paddle, you can get stuck in the wall with it. I had to quit the game... and the break out "boss" is kinda hard. Something I found funny: the orb with a weapon is like a sprite I used for a TDS engine I'm making!

#38 Arcalyth

Arcalyth

So yeah...

• 479 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:03 PM

Woo, I beat it. That was.. interesting. I don't understand the story though.

-Halo

#39 Canilash

Canilash

GMC Member

• 203 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:07 PM

boss currently seems impossible. There is no way to dodge, and I cant find a way out.

EDIT: nevermind. I beat it the game. It's kinda sad, though.
EDIT: 9/10. minus 1 just because its short.

Edited by Canilash, 16 July 2006 - 10:16 PM.

#40 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:39 PM

Very good game. this should go in a cage-match.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's in the Cage Match already. If that's what you mean... Maybe it should say so in the first post :(

I'm glad you people enjoy it. The story is kind of vague, if you read the text carefully in the intro, then it should be a bit more clear. There are two intended ways of interpreting the meaning (and moral) of the game, but I'll let you guys use your own imagination to think of your own ones.

#41 Arcalyth

Arcalyth

So yeah...

• 479 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:36 AM

My interpretation was perhaps the inner workings of a computer infected with a virus. Illegal Communication, the virus, being the final boss who talks. The defense orbs, or the anti-virus, were sent to eliminate the virus. The spawns are like your anti-virus programs. It explains all of the batteries too.

This is a game that lets your imagination wander... I don't think I've ever played a game quite like it. It's so simple yet it leaves yourself wondering.

-Halo

#42 RhysAndrews

RhysAndrews

Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2013 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 04:36 AM

This game really does make your mind travel. It lives up to what my teams slogan implies; "Vibrant Simplicity". Your game has such a crystal-clear original feel to it, and yet, it's so very simple. The way you've been able to keep the story very blunt, yet at the same time allow so many different variations to what the story is, is really quite amazing, even for me.

For those who know me, I'm very strict with my ratings. A game that some people would give an "11/10" I'd give a 6. And thats' just me, I need to be impressed. But I can honestly say, this game has impressed me. Graphics, sound, music, not the best. Really, not the best. But the concept and originality is so very simple yet new to me, it contemplates for the other factors that haven't exactly been worked on enough. But even still, I wouldn't ask for you to improve those graphics. They're just perfect in terms of simplicity.

People will find me crazy for making such a big fuss over this so very simple game, yet I'm a strong believer in originality and, as again my Slogan says, "Vibrant Simplicity". This is the type of game people will play. I give it a fat 9/10. This game is sweet.

Regards
Rhys Andrews
GameCave Team

banner4.jpg

#43 fama_h

fama_h

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 305 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:01 AM

Great game.I played it more and it is really cool.Kind of freaky.But really original

Edited by fama_h, 17 July 2006 - 06:03 AM.

#44 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:39 PM

People will find me crazy for making such a big fuss over this so very simple game, yet I'm a strong believer in originality and, as again my Slogan says, "Vibrant Simplicity". This is the type of game people will play. I give it a fat 9/10. This game is sweet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks a lot Rhys! I'm glad that you appreciate what I tried to do with the game. It has been criticized down to the very concept at other forums. Thanks to comments such as yours I know that I'm at least on the right track. I'm aware of the fact that there are things that make the game hard to enjoy for some, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make (at least for this game, since it's rather short). I hope people will be able to look past that, and enjoy the game for the qualities that it has.

Thanks everyone for your comments! It really makes me glad that you're all willing to sacrifice some time to share your thoughts on the game :)

#45 RoboBOT

RoboBOT

GMC Member

• Validating
  • 592 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:14 PM

I like this game. It's hard, but it makes you think and makes you keep trying. The graphics are cool. Are they sprites or did you use draw functions for everything?
The music is nice, it fits in well.
My only problems with the game are that you can't save and exit, meaning you must finish it in one sitting, and that my computer breaks a sweat running it, which isn't fully your fault. My computer sucks.
I wish I could finish it, but I'll have to put it on a different computer to do that.
Good job on the game.

Visit RoboBOT
"The machine easily masters the grim and the dumb.” -Marshall McLuhan
Text Files Example | Healthbars Tutorial | 3d Arrays Scripts
For all things Game Maker, check out my Links Resource

-I use GM7 Pro-

#46 ad134

ad134

The Ad man

• 413 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:00 PM

Aargh man! I seem to be using my mouse in strange ways to navigate the forums... thanks a lot :).......

Just Kidding. Brilliant game! I voted for you!

10/10 - For 1337 craziness. <--- You can quote that if you want.

#47 ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

Pwner of barcodes

• GMC Member
  • 2410 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:04 PM

I can't find this game enjoyable. It just bugs me... I don't know why...
I've moved away from GM. If you want to contact me, feel free to email ryanwebdev@gmail.com.

Thanks,
Ryan.

#48 jobt

jobt

GMC Member

• 307 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:36 PM

Good gameplay, but the graphics aren't very appealing...

#49 mesenberg

mesenberg

GMC Member

• 368 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:17 AM

pretty nice but pretty hard too

#50 JTC

JTC

www.jtcweb.com

• 93 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:45 AM

Nice, I like the feel of the mouse movement. I haven't gotten into it very much but I'm planning on playing this one some more.