• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:45 PM

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Linked</span>
Multiplayer Drawing!

Posted Image Posted Image

Introduction & Features
Welcome to Linked, a drawing tool that lets you work on solo projects and collaborations alike! Linked combines a simple and intuitive drawing system with the power of the Reflect Account System to allow players from anywhere in the world to connect to each other and work on the same drawing, chat, and play games.

Using this program, it is possible to play all sorts of games! Hangman, tic-tac-toe, and pictionary are only a few possibilities! The chat system allows players to view the image that is being drawn while chatting, and vice versa; the player who is drawing can see the chat unfold as he or she works. Linked also provides the hosting player with the ability to limit the amount of new players who can enter, as well as who can draw and who cannot.

Linked began as an investigation into the power of Game Maker's surface capabilities, and wound up being much more. I truly hope some of you out there enjoy this game, and create some wonderful things with it, by yourself or with a group of friends.

Controls
Controlling the game is easy and is mostly mouse driven, except in the event that you're chatting with others.

While drawing
LEFT MOUSE - Click and hold while moving the mouse to draw. The faster your movement, the more narrow the lines drawn will be, best noticed in the medium sized pen
RIGHT MOUSE or LEFT & RIGHT ARROW KEYS - Click to cycle through the 3 different pen sizes
MOUSE WHEEL / UP & DOWN ARROW KEYS - Cycle forward or backward through the different ink colors
SPACE BAR - Clear the canvas
ENTER / F1 / MIDDLE MOUSE (multiplayer only) - Toggle the chat menu / host controls
F5 - Save the canvas (in multiplayer the filename will be chosen for you, in single player you can choose what to name your work of art)
F6 (single player only) - Load previously saved work onto the canvas

While the chat window is open (multiplayer only)
LEFT MOUSE (host only) - Click a player's name in the player list to toggle their drawing ability, or click on the host options below the player list to toggle them on / off
RIGHT MOUSE - Click a player's name in the player list to remove them from the game
KEYBOARD - Type to create a message to send to the group, press ENTER to send. Pressing ENTER when the message box is empty will toggle the chat window / host options closed
Chat commands, type the following commands into the chat window to activate various options in the game:
/help - Displays in-game help information
/topic - Displays a randomly generated topic (useful if you just can't think of what to draw!)

Miscellaneous commands
F4 - Toggle between windowed and fullscreen modes
ESCAPE - Exit the current paint mode / screen / game

Online Features
This game is compatibile the Reflect Account System! Using a Reflect Account, you can access online features in all games that use the system, via one login.

Linked is the second game released to use this system, and registering will allow you to create and join Linked servers, and play online! You can find out more by following the link to Reflect Games below!

Game Info
Game Maker version: 6.1
Screen size: 800x600 (no rez change)
File size: 1.13 Mb

Download
Download Linked (1.13 Mb)

Links
Reflect Games

Important
As with any online game, you cannot host if you do not allow the game to work through your firewall! Please make sure you have your computer and internet set up correctly if you want to host games. I cannot ensure that the game will work in multiplayer mode across all setups!

If you are having trouble hsoting a game, and are behind a router, the port that this game uses is 27782. Have it forward all TCP traffic on this port to your computer, and the game should host just fine. You can find more information on port forwarding here.

Credits
Created with Game Maker 6.1 by Mark Overmars
Fox-NL - Teaching me how to use surfaces, and various multiplayer stuff
Xot - For a great encryption script
39ster - For the excellent 39dll
Dracodragon, Ds, JoshuaOtt, ReliantG, Neur0n, Dregnought, CountZebra, DJKilo - Testing the game with me

#2 kylethompson

kylethompson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 946 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:50 PM

Looks awesome. Ill have to try it with a friend soon.
Only able to do single player right now though. :/
Nice though, love the transition effects.

Edited by kylethompson, 07 July 2006 - 04:53 PM.

#3 Shinnoki

Shinnoki

GMC Member

• 582 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:53 PM

Hm, cool, that's something really creative.

#4 ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

Pwner of barcodes

• GMC Member
  • 2410 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:57 PM

Looks like a clone...

It does include other things though.

Not orignal.

Edited by ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS, 07 July 2006 - 04:57 PM.

I've moved away from GM. If you want to contact me, feel free to email ryanwebdev@gmail.com.

Thanks,
Ryan.

#5 SumBum

SumBum

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:58 PM

pretty sweet, kinda reminded me of the game inklink tho, maybe its because of the name...

chicken beatme to it...

Edited by SumBum, 07 July 2006 - 05:02 PM.

#6 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:02 PM

So every multiplayer paint program that is created henceforth is a copy of InkLink, eh? That is a pretty cheap thing to say, considering this program has no actual game built into it, and doesn't really have anything to do with InkLink at all.

#7 edmunn

edmunn

GMC Member

• 1298 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:08 PM

wow amazing!
once again fredfredfrickson you have amazed us =D
10/10!

Posted Image
Please PM / Email your suggestions!

15.4" Apple MacBook Pro Late 08', 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, SSD
Mac OS X Lion

:)

#8 monkeys

monkeys

GMC Member

• 92 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:11 PM

Really, really cool program. I like all the sounds, graphics, and the idea. It was a really good idea to add /topic command, that'll keep it more interesting.
I like the effect of clearing the canvas too. This game is very professional, (when hasn't FredFrederickson's games been) and I give it a 9.5/10. The only thing I suggest adding is a little elevator music.
P.S. I'm hosting a game right now.
EDIT: And I found a bug! If you use the command /help until it goes off screen, it goes over the top of the textbox. You can fix it by just typing in a chat message, but just something you might want to know.

Edited by monkeys, 07 July 2006 - 05:19 PM.

#9 thebogeyman

thebogeyman

The Boogey Man

• 514 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:20 PM

Ink Link is a copy off of Isketch anyway.

On topic:
Looks nice. Might try it with a friend soon.

#10 Dracodragon

Dracodragon

Frogfighter Founder!

• 498 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:23 PM

Once again Fred, you never cease to amaze me! This program is very well made, and i have seen no errors in it! I like the idea of being able to draw and chat with others online too, and this is an amazing program. Well, you have outdone yourself again my friend!

10/10
Posted Image
Who says a Draco cant like frogs?

#11 LauriP

LauriP

-Halinalle-

• 474 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:31 PM

Again ? Heh, awesome. =)

Professional look you got there, the menus look greatly designed and the system (Reflect) works as always =P I had fun with the "singleplayer" mode, but if I have a chance I will test it with my friends, I'm sure they will like it =P ...exept that they don't like creating accounts at unknown sites.. =( But I guess they will register for this site when they read the FAQ.

The drawing looks really inky but the shapes you draw are a bit blockish.. But I guess that's the point afterall. I'm not a great drawer (cough) but I enjoyed this very much. There's just one but, the filesize of the saved surfaces is kind of big (1.2 mg in my case).. But I guess that's no problem at all =D

All in all, it's an another professional creation from Fred. Looking forward for your next projects =P

Edited by LauriP, 07 July 2006 - 05:32 PM.

#12 jls900

jls900

Crazy zebra

• 384 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:42 PM

i did play but the online didnt work, but i just relised how you do it and now i see, its very nice actually

Edited by jls900, 08 July 2006 - 12:09 AM.

#13 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:53 PM

well to be honest i'd rather play with like 10 people on inklink or isketch then have to type in peoples IPs, but it still looks nice and good programming

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

;) Uh, please try the game before you post here, you don't have to enter IP's to play this with people, ever. There isn't even an option for that.

Edited by FredFredrickson, 07 July 2006 - 05:54 PM.

#14 RaMediaGames

RaMediaGames

GMC Member

• 302 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:35 PM

looks very nice, i will edit, because i am waiting
long time for AOL to finish download....

#15 comspy

comspy

Veni Vidi Vici

• 990 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:40 PM

i get an error message, error defying external function blah blah blah, and yes, i unzipped it!

#16 Stained Glass

Stained Glass

Robot Trainer

• 666 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:49 PM

Awsome! Finally a paint program that I can scribble with and still make them look cool. I haven't got to try it online yet, because I have no one to go online with.

Do I have to sign up with Reflect games to play online?

I only have been playing for 5 minutes and I love it, another masterpiece by FredFredrickson. 10/10. ;)

~Stained Glass

#17 RaMediaGames

RaMediaGames

GMC Member

• 302 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:01 PM

This is awsome !!
pi*show_message('Best game ever')*100/10

#18 mr.pacman0

mr.pacman0

warning:highly unstable

• 956 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:02 PM

this is awesome! 10/10, this HAS to get into the cage match!

#19 Meiun

Meiun

GMC Member

• 248 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:34 PM

Very very nice. Simple concept, but done incredibly well. This has to have some of the highest quality menu's of any GM game.

#20 Smarttart62

Smarttart62

designFUSION™

• 2619 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:42 PM

Sweet man. Its come a Loooooooooooooooooooong way since i last saw it ;).

Ill have to try it out with someone now...
-Steve

#21 MegaNoob

MegaNoob

GMC Member

• 395 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:47 PM

An original piece of work, I would have never thought of online drawing (that's just me). The menu is amazeing! The account scanning is a nice addition to bring in members. The is a top-notch app, 10/10.

#22 -0NL1N3-

-0NL1N3-

Network Programmer

• 650 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:03 PM

Everyone join in! Great game BTW ;)

Thanks,
-0NL1N3-

#23 3t3rNAL_Payn

3t3rNAL_Payn

The Human Genocide

• 1096 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:13 PM

Okay, the concept is excellent, as I said on 64d, but, you do need to work on the actual painting.

#24 hermanshooltz

hermanshooltz

GMC Mamba

• 1253 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:22 PM

Great work ! Look what me and other members drew:
Posted Image

#25 HomerTheDragoon

HomerTheDragoon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 823 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:08 PM

Okay, the concept is excellent, as I said on 64d, but, you do need to work on the actual painting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

this is alota fun we have 4 people in a room right now ;)

#26 thebogeyman

thebogeyman

The Boogey Man

• 514 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:37 PM

Wow very nice. Just played it with a few other people.

#27 NiCkā„¢

NiCkā„¢

registered GM6 user

• 141 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 01:19 AM

Really nice game there Fred, another quallity game from you. I like the use of the reflect account system too, so much better than trying to find a game ove an IM client, nice job

--NiCk

#28 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 01:23 AM

Thanks, glad you guys like it. I'll probably release a small update tonight to fix a typo in the readme and the chat flowing out of the box problem someone mentioned earlier... but it's not a huge priority, sbut figured I would address the problem.

Also, let me know how the game runs on your computer, and what kind of experiences youa re having with it. Making creative apps like this that are connected to others is a new idea for me, so I'd like to see how this is working out for people, for any updates / similar programs I might make in the future.

All in all, this was a pretty smooth launch for a program that fuses a few complicated ideas... so I am happy with that!

#29 Toni12

Toni12

Designer

• 851 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 08 July 2006 - 01:40 AM

Someone play me! I can't host I'm behind a router.

Edited by Toni12, 08 July 2006 - 01:41 AM.

#30 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 04:08 AM

I just updated the game a tiny bit, you should no longer see the text flow out of the textbox when you use the chat commands. :)

#31 doodi10

doodi10

GMC Member

• 466 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 05:06 AM

Great Job!

#32 Meiun

Meiun

GMC Member

• 248 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 05:17 AM

what port is needed for hosting?

#33 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 05:33 PM

If you'd like to try to configure your router to allow hosting, forward port 27782 for TCP connections, and you should be good to go. Sorry about that, I should have included that info in the original post, which I will do right now!

#34 metalhead1023

metalhead1023

GMC's only emo kid

• 612 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 05:35 PM

Ill admit it i didnt like HT3D 1 but two is brilliant Evolties is amazing and This is another masterpeice 9/10

#35 Sir_Eddy54

Sir_Eddy54

GMC Member

• 204 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 06:22 PM

There weren't really enough players online to do one with them.. This is what I did on my own for about 5 minutes.

Posted Image

The drawing part is ok but really you need to make the brushes better and also you need to make it so you can choose any colour really. Good fun though and you should keep it up.

#36 Kapser

Kapser

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1645 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:22 PM

I have been looking for this for long! I have tryed it online and it was smooth and did not lag at all. It was pretty fun even if many people joined flooding screen.

Nice job and thanks for making this. Very smooth and proffessionnal

#37 blackcrow

blackcrow

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:31 PM

There weren't really enough players online to do one with them..  This is what I did on my own for about 5 minutes.

Posted Image

The drawing part is ok but really you need to make the brushes better and also you need to make it so you can choose any colour really.  Good fun though and you should keep it up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you can change the colors by the mouse wheel and the brush size by right clicking on the mouse....great game Fred....10/10

#38 Toni12

Toni12

Designer

• 851 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:41 PM

You should add a pen for every player that displays there name. Because some dude kept erasing everything in the game "Billy18" started.

#39 tikki

tikki

GMC Member

• 883 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:42 PM

sweet, im hosting right now, any1 can join

#40 thebogeyman

thebogeyman

The Boogey Man

• 514 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:51 PM

Yeah it would be nice if by each player's name it displayed what color they're currently on.

Though it's not really a problem unless you have immature people in the room.

#41 Sir_Eddy54

Sir_Eddy54

GMC Member

• 204 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 09:09 PM

There weren't really enough players online to do one with them..Ā  This is what I did on my own for about 5 minutes.

Posted Image

The drawing part is ok but really you need to make the brushes better and also you need to make it so you can choose any colour really.Ā  Good fun though and you should keep it up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you can change the colors by the mouse wheel and the brush size by right clicking on the mouse....great game Fred....10/10

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know but that's still not enough. Things like 64-255-0 can't be made

#42 coolsmile

coolsmile

Programmer

• 1346 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 10:34 PM

Yay, cool, fun with multiplayer action paint :)

#43 comspy

comspy

Veni Vidi Vici

• 990 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 10:43 PM

I get an error message, i cant play it :)

#44 Nukleurfire

Nukleurfire

GMC Member

• 197 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 10:55 PM

This was on Frogfighter's Websiste and I say- great! It not being that complicated is pretty much irrelevent to the point.. It's not for making great works of art, right? It's a revolutionary way of communicating with other people! 10/10

Edited by Nukleurfire, 08 July 2006 - 10:55 PM.

#45 tikki

tikki

GMC Member

• 883 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:00 PM

its like the nintendo ds chat room, but better cuz no1 uses ds where i live

#46 omeguito

omeguito

GMC Member

• 64 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:01 PM

I have a pair of suggestions:
When the player draws, make a highlight button that the host will see (useful for bans)
Make a button to show to the other players that you are away...

And...thats all I think.
Very very very nice!!

#47 Toni12

Toni12

Designer

• 851 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:29 PM

Pls add some sort of tracking system. Someone kept drawing genitals on the screen.

#48 RaMediaGames

RaMediaGames

GMC Member

• 302 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:38 PM

you should make a feature showing a little box for each player,
only visible to the host, and see in each box and what that player
has drawn so if five people worked on the drawing, you would
see the player that added the bigger eyeball.... lol.

#49 punkrockervash

punkrockervash

GMC Member

• 79 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 12:29 AM

wow this is the greatest basic idea for a game its sooo basic but would be the funnest thing ever!!! 100/10 :)

#50 Toni12

Toni12

Designer

• 851 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 12:40 AM

wow this is the greatest basic idea for a game its sooo basic but would be the funnest thing ever!!! 100/10 :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would Be... the funnest thing ever?