137 replies to this topic

#1 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:08 PM

Title:
Posted Image

changes Resolution: Optional, not by default.
Resolution: 320x240

Description:
A 2 coloured vertical shooter inspired by Solarstriker, Truxton, raptor and all that other stuff i played over the years.
I've tried to keep it somewhat gameboyish.

The controls are fully configurable.
Gamepad input is supported. (Usage recomended)

right now it is ~40% complete.

press f1 during the game for any further information.

Screenshots:
Posted Image

Posted Image

*WARNING*
This game contains offensive language!
Play it at your own risk!

Download V0.3b:
Mirror1
YYG

Old version:
Download V0.2b:
Mirror1
Mirror2

Download V0.1b:
Hyperwars 0.1b

Have fun.

Edited by 9_6, 06 February 2009 - 01:30 PM.

#2 difficultman

difficultman

GMC Member

• 183 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:27 PM

Wow that's an instant classic right there! Awesome. I loved it. In particular I loved the exchanges between the characters. The co-pilot and pilot were just hilarious. This felt like it was a finished game but I guess you're gonna add more levels huh? Are you gonna add more weapon power levels? That'd be good, because you level up pretty fast. Awesome work, Keep it up.

#3 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:34 PM

There won't be more power levels.
Instead there wil be 3 different vehicles with different shots.
You'll switch your vehicle each ~5 levels after defeating something really big.
Right now there's only the plane and ~4 levels.

So the final game will have about 13-15 levels.
Depends on my lazyness.

The next version will have 10 levels and the second vehicle. (It is already drawn, coded and in the game. It just doesn't occur yet)
I won't release it before that's done so it'll might take a while.

#4 difficultman

difficultman

GMC Member

• 183 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:38 PM

Holy crap! Everyone stop looking at the pokemon games and download this! I can't believe you haven't gotten any more posts!

#5 Vephor

Vephor

GMC Member

• 34 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 05:32 PM

Very nice. Good graphics, and I liked the dialogue. The crab-looking boss is too hard though. I went from 7 lives to 1, mostly because of his attack that kills you in one hit. Other than that, though, I thought it was good. Maybe you should add more decoration on the ground, it looked a little boring.

#6 pinguinpanic

pinguinpanic

GMC Member

• 790 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 06:05 PM

This game is frigin amazing, this should be on the real gameboy.

This game is very briliant, the graphics were the most amazing thing, and the gameplay was cool to.
I loved the boss and that it had different enemy's and not just in a manner that they change how they look and there attack does more damage to you but they are just all original. They shoot with rockets and stuff and it just is very cool.

The bosses all were quite easy except for the last one (the big thing bi-atch had).

Oh and Duke of Mars, how come you lost that many lives at the Crab boss, he's easy.

Keep it up!

#7 Vephor

Vephor

GMC Member

• 34 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 06:39 PM

Hehe, I had the forward shooter so he kept hitting me with his lunge, I couldn't get out of the way fast enough. He probably would be easy with either of the other weapons, or I guess a lot of speedups, but you can't get powerups during the boss.

#8 HolyCause

HolyCause

Music Composer

• 830 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:29 PM

For once I've downloaded a file from host-a that didn't go to 0.1KB/s. I'm happy to see the download timer go down and not up.

Anyway.

This game speaks of professionalism from the start. The language options at the beginning, although I don't speak Deutsch, it's a good option for those who do.

The different colour schemes are a nice touch. I only played with one colour scheme though (Gameboy1). Just out of curiosity, did you use different sprites for each scheme or just apply different drawing techniques?

The way you have the control configuration set up is very nice. I don't know what the defaults are, but it makes it easy to apply one's own control preferences. Thumbs up on that.

Now I'm a gamer that prefers flashy sound effects and graphics, but this game did pretty well with me. The effects are nice and the graphics are very well done. I have a problem with the one 'explosion' sound effect... The rest of them appear to be MOD based but this one is obviously a WAV and sticks out a whole lot. The music fits extremely well and sounds great.

This game has style but it's kinda wrecked by the vulgar language in one of the cutscenes. The whole thing seems kind of amusingly childish what with the "evil" concept applied to all of the enemies. It just looks immature when the language is brought into the game.

Overall, the gameplay is pretty boring. Hold fire, and move from left to right, for the most part. I did like how a few levels were set up including some of the rows of turrets and SAM sites. The last two bosses were interesting to fight. I find it amusing how the last boss was easier to beat with the weakest ship design due to it's slow speed :skull:

It was good, but doesn't have much reply value.

#9 G.L.

G.L.

GMC Member

• 306 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:36 PM

WOW....
this game is even better than Edge!!
it awsome! those levels.. :skull:
BTW, what happened to edge? :P

Edited by G.L., 29 June 2006 - 08:48 PM.

#10 Newly Discovered

Newly Discovered

Harmonious Genius

• GMC Member
  • 2475 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:50 PM

pretty good, but pretty easy...I had beaten it with over 5000 points...not sure how much that is compared to others here but it should use more. good job.

poof_sig.png

#11 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:57 PM

Comments :)

@HolyCause:
i have 2 sprites for everything in this game.
A shape and an outlinesprite.
I colorize those via image_blend.

I tried but i never could create a propper explosin sound out of sine waves so i'll stick with the standard-gm-explosion-sounds... for now >_<

The language will stay.
It'll get even worse :)

Hold fire and shoot stuff... that was the main idea of the game! Actually that's what you do in most shoot em' ups. Shoot stuff.

The last boss was easier?
People keep telling me how hard he is and that i should weaken him...

@G.L.:
yeah about edge.
It's canceled.
Sorry but the code just was a too big mess adding stuff was just way too complicated.
But Hyper wars will be finished.
The engine is done, all i need to do now is add content.

@Newly Discovered:
my hi score is ~6200
Yeah that game is pretty easy.
I still need to balance some stuff.
Wich is not quite easy.

thanks.
Btw did the control setting or the screen resizing cause any bugs? (i.e. assign 2 actions to 1 button, the game window is in the top left corner...)
Some people experience those bugs.
I don't know how to fix them because i can't reproduce them.
I just would like to know how many of you (if any) have those problems.

Edited by 9_6, 29 June 2006 - 09:00 PM.

#12 Eva unit-01

Eva unit-01

GMC Member

• 771 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:59 PM

EDIT: lol...
I completely loove this game..if it came out on gameboy back then I probably would of bought it. it looks completel proffesional and everything runs smooth{except if you mess up the controls...then it's a hazard}and apparently my eyes are weird cause I beat level 4 using Eye cancer..lol. If you quit this game i'll get Gundams to step on your computer lol...{more levels!!}
the story line was funny too.

Edited by Eva unit-01, 30 June 2006 - 05:54 AM.

My Deviant Art
Posted ImageOngoing manga/comic or whatever. Check it out.
Posted Image
Posted Image
((Surrounded)), W.I.P. and completion expected soon.
Gonna be one awesome TDS. Test and leave a comment. :]

#13 SickAndWretched

SickAndWretched

GMC Member

• 147 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 09:32 PM

I found this game extremely enjoyable.
Its a nice bit of Shooter Satire if you ask me.

#14 Toni12

Toni12

Designer

• 851 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 09:33 PM

This game is awesome!!!! Great Job. I give it a 10/10 for a WIP.

#15 G.L.

G.L.

GMC Member

• 306 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:50 PM

i notice the game name, wasn't that the original name for edge? :)
hehe....

#16 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:53 PM

I've removed the menupoint 'fit resolution to screen' because i found a serious bug wich caused the resolution to stay. (ever tried to change the resolution back to normal at a resolution of 320x240? NOT POSSIBLE!)

But i guess none of you even used it since most people over here don't like resolution changing.

#17 Arcalyth

Arcalyth

So yeah...

• 479 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 12:29 AM

This is a very nice game. You need to put a profanity warning on it though.

The graphics look professional and the sounds fit the game and aren't distracting at all. Nice job with that.

Really, I have no gripes about this game except that you didn't warn us about the language :D

-Halo
Љřςλļўŧђ | Arcalyth.net | 64digits Admin |

#18 Toni12

Toni12

Designer

• 851 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 12:35 AM

This is a very nice game. You need to put a profanity warning on it though.

The graphics look professional and the sounds fit the game and aren't distracting at all. Nice job with that.

Really, I have no gripes about this game except that you didn't warn us about the language :D

-Halo

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Check the GMRB Rating Page for info. www.gmrb.uni.cc

#19 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 12:44 AM

ok i added a warning :P

#20 G.L.

G.L.

GMC Member

• 306 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 02:39 AM

hey, i got an idea.
it kinda means you'd have to work the engine abit,but....
How about a smart lightning weapon, that will lock on to the nearest enemy(within a reasonable range, not behind the player) and electracute the enemy and make it explode?

#21 Keitaro-Kun

Keitaro-Kun

GMC Member

• 1002 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 03:14 AM

ive been wanting to try this xD
i lost the topic! but it shalt escape now ...

EDIT :
whole - e - carp O.O;

that was awsome, but on the last lvl, the room
stops moving eventually - .O;

other than that, awsome ^____^ b

Edited by Keitaro-Kun, 02 July 2006 - 03:38 AM.

#22 Eva unit-01

Eva unit-01

GMC Member

• 771 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 03:15 AM

lol whats weird is that the language actually fits the game good and it's sorta funny when they talk , also the shaky thing where you see the pilot reminds me of a old SNES game. but i want moree morrree! lol
My Deviant Art
Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 Deadheat

Deadheat

Retro Maniac

• 659 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 02:43 PM

Quite an interesting little game. Everything looked pretty good together, liked the little cutscenes and the ships and bosses even if the background could do with a little more detail. I got 4,600 or so and passed it, I lost a few lives on the last and 2nd last boss but didn't loose any up till then. So it seemed pretty good difficulty wise, the only problem was not being able to get upgrades when playing against the bosses which seemed a bit unfair. It would make it a hell of alot easier I spose, but yeah just a thought. The dialogue was pretty lame, but I guess that's the go with most shooters now days. The offensive language just seemed like it was there for the heck of it and wasn't really funny at all. I bit repetitive but that's about it, don't have a problem with it but maybe if there was more to it then "Kill the evilous ships of evilnous" it might make it a bit more enjoyable -_- Anyways enough blabber, looks like it's shaping up to be a nice game. I love the old-school look and feel of it and the powerups seemed to be well balanced aswell, no gripes on that aspect of the game. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

#24 Rky_nick

Rky_nick

GMC Member

• 259 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 04:07 PM

Hmmm... I thought it had something to do with fire... well, otherwise its good, but half the time i just held down the attack button.

#25 Eva unit-01

Eva unit-01

GMC Member

• 771 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 05:16 PM

Thats wat you do in scrolling shooters. havnt you ever played games like Darius Gaiden{sega saturn} Galactic Attack{Sega saturn} or R-type{SNES}...yea all you do is hold the attack button dodge/kill enemies and get thorugh levels heh
My Deviant Art
Posted Image
Posted Image

#26 G.L.

G.L.

GMC Member

• 306 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:13 AM

yah know, i found the last boss both really hard and then really easy.
I suggest that the bosses should be automatically adjusted, in terms of what upgrades you have, to match your plane properties.
BTW, what happend here? i sure hope you, 9_6, are still working.....

#27 LollyN00b

LollyN00b

GMC Member

• 323 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:48 AM

D:

Yes. That was my face when I realized that WIPs could be this awesome.

Everything fit together, the dialogue was well-done, and often made me laugh; great WIP overall. I'd give a more in-depth review, but right now I'm speechless. Must...play...more....!

#28 Ferrari

Ferrari

GMC Member

• 69 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:15 AM

This game is awsome the graphics seem awsome keep up the good work :)

#29 Floz

Floz

GMC Member

• 58 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 05:22 PM

Great game, Verwurster. I like it, I like the graphic and i hope there will soon be more levels or even the full game. Keep up the good work

#30 UnionJack

UnionJack

Psychedelic_Ni

• 163 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 04:48 PM

My God! this was fun... Do NOT make that last boss harder, it was so fun.... a little suggestion... add things like hostages, and hostage ships; things you're not allowed to blow up... that'd be like :medieval: wow... different concept...Cosmic!!

hey, an old raptor fan :skull: love that game... had some fun using some old raptor tactics.... did you play major stryker?? looks like lots of inspiration came from there and raptor :blink:

anyway, not gonna rate this, because, numbers don't describe games, words describe games.

byes
Ludum Dare 23 - Pond: The Strider

#31 vulstar

vulstar

GMC Member

• 19 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 06:38 PM

Hawt game it does me remind of major striker also :skull:
I just played major striker almost evry day when i was a little kid. and this game kinda have the same layout, like the messageĀ“s and the power ups :medieval:.
would be nice if it was colored.

I give it a 11/10!!

#32 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 04:42 PM

thanks for the replies :D

I don't know major stryker.
The original purpose of hyperwars was to be a Truxton clone combined with raptor.
Well it turned out a little different.

And don't worry i'm still working on it.
Here are 300 screenshots of the new desert Level.
It's the last level you control the plane in.

LINK1
LINK2
LINK3

However it will still take some time until I will have added enough content to release a new demo so be patient.

Edited by 9_6, 19 July 2006 - 04:42 PM.

#33 TechnoSuperguy

TechnoSuperguy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 526 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:29 PM

I was gonna review this a couple weeks ago, but I never did and forgot all about it. Now that I've noticed the topic again, I shall review:
This game is absolutely perfect! The gameplay is fantastic; difficult, yet not so hard that it's nearly impossible. The conversations between the main character and the other person (the dispatcher or whatever) were hilarious, and it's funny how the dispatcher says "evil" so much. This could definitely be sold for big bucks. 10/10!

#34 Trainz175

Trainz175

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 133 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:47 PM

Extremely addicting, good work on it. 10/10

#35 The Punisher161

The Punisher161

GMC Member

• 91 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:46 AM

:GM107: :GM037: :GM035: <_< WOW!

THIS IS ALMOST LIKE RAPTOR!! I LOVE RAPTOR AND I LOVE HYPER WARS!! :GM034: :GM122: WOW!! I CANT SEE COLOURS ANYMORE!!! :GM035: BOOM!!!... KA-BOOM!! BOOM!!! BOOOOOOMMMM!!! HA HA HA!!! mmmmooosssttt ppplllaaayyy mmmooorrreeeee..... :GM037:

i think im in love... :GM122:
with.... Hyper Wars.... 9000/10 This is not a game, it is a master piece!!! :GM034:

btw in this post i used to many smileys lol

#36 Trotim

Trotim

Oldschool Kiddie

• 219 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 04:17 PM

Brilliant shmup you got there. Tone down the "humour" a bit, though, okay? Or at least add an option to disable it.
Someone already mentioned you should be able to get upgrades when fighting against a boss and I completely second the motion. Having to shoot peas at giant battleships is kinda ineffective, methinks.

#37 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:10 PM

Thanks for the replies.
@TechnoSuperguy: The other person is the operator.
Could be sold you say? Without a 3d engine?? NO WAII!

@Trainz175: thanks.

@The Punisher161:Huh you sure like to use smileys <_<
Thanks.
Almost like Raptor you say?
Not quite. Raptor is a little more complex.
And coloured ^_~

@Trotim:Thanks.
How would i disable it?
Disable all dialogs? That would leave huge gaps in the level with nothing happening since i integrated the dialogs into level design.
A censorship for words?
That would work if the game wasn't multilingual.
The only thing i could think of is making an altered language file wich contains no evil words but i don't feel like making it because well, it actually means work and i actually got other stuff to worry about.
By the way you can easily modify the language files by opening them in the editor. :P

The idea of having support with powerups during boss battles is already implemented.
Various people told me to do so.

cheers,
9_6

#38 Invero

Invero

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 02:45 AM

HOLY CR** This game Is Addicting. <_< I just found out about it today and I tryed it ..... I forgot to eat I played for 2 hours .... Whats the only bad thing is that I die at the Bit** Boss on her new toy that bigggggggggggg thingy. :P when she shoots like 20 rockets at you at once. :ph34r: Anyways Awesome game man :chikin

#39 Eva unit-01

Eva unit-01

GMC Member

• 771 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 02:53 AM

lol..i just used an old Darius strategy. I just got inside one turret and sat there shooting for a while until it blew up and did the same with all the other parts{except those dam rockets lol}
IS THERE A NEW UPDATE?? I GOTTA HAVE THE NEXT UPDATE or i'll do this!*takes a peice of wood and trys to break it...and breaks a finger*...well u get the point <_<
My Deviant Art
Posted Image
Posted Image

#40 Trotim

Trotim

Oldschool Kiddie

• 219 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:31 AM

@Trotim:Thanks.
How would i disable it?
Disable all dialogs? That would leave huge gaps in the level with nothing happening since i integrated the dialogs into level design.
A censorship for words?
That would work if the game wasn't multilingual.
The only thing i could think of is making an altered language file wich contains no evil words but i don't feel like making it because well, it actually means work and i actually got other stuff to worry about.
By the way you can easily modify the language files by opening them in the editor. <_<

The idea of having support with powerups during boss battles is already implemented.
Various people told me to do so.

cheers,
9_6

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Err, I actually don't care about those "evil" words, but in all honesty, the dialogue gets boring rather quickly and I doubt anybody who plays this game again wants to reread the text...

#41 Eva unit-01

Eva unit-01

GMC Member

• 771 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:43 AM

lol...the dialogue is funny but who wants to re-read dialogue..thats why it goes fast am i rite?{yea of course im right}. oh and 9_6...WHERES THE UPDATES AT?
My Deviant Art
Posted Image
Posted Image

#42 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:50 PM

@Trotim: Oh you can skip the cutscenes by pressing the B button.
Did you try that?
And the dialogues in the levels aren't that long (i think).

@Eva unit-01: oh i still need time doing that ^^
I don't think you want to play something half-way done do you?

I redid the behaviour of most bosses (so they are less boring. especially the one of level 3) and completed level 4 including its cutscene.
I still need to add ~2 levels in which you control the new vehicle.
I've already done 1 level 6 enemy.
Still got to do ~4 more, the boss and the tileset.
And i need to completely change the second boss, it just moves horizontaly i want it to move verticaly too and i want the background to keep scrolling. (did you ever see a plane stopping in the air? Wel i didn't)

I have no idea how long this will take but don't expect anything until the end of the week.

Oh yeah and it will become a little bit harder (at least from level 4 on). Will keep you from falling asleep while playing <_<

#43 biggoron

biggoron

dura lex sed lex

• 652 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 09:39 AM

awesome! reminds me of raidenx. i love the arcade visual and control style. i like the idea of collecting those 'P' tokens to power up, also. 10/10

#44 Nilz

Nilz

GMC Member

• 236 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:04 PM

I LOVE THIS GAME!
Totally brilliant :)! 9/10
sweet gameplay, design and graphics!

#45 web1992

web1992

teh uberblob

• 225 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 07:42 PM

For a game with one of the worst titles I've ever seen, this was actually pretty fun.
The graphics were stylish, but I found it to be too slow... Music and sound were pretty good. All I really think you should do is increase the room speed.

#46 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:15 AM

increasing the roomspeed?
You mean the scrolling speed right?
well that would result in me having to manually put tiles in even longer rooms (currently 9600 high :P) so i don't really think i want to do that.
Tiling them now is painful enough for me ;P

By the way i'm aiming to release the new demo at wednesday. (+- ~1 day).

I've already added another level and need to ask for permission to use some music.
I won't release it until that thing is clarified though.

#47 difficultman

difficultman

GMC Member

• 183 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 04:46 AM

For a game with one of the worst titles I've ever seen, this was actually pretty fun.

Come on. The name is part of its charm. Can't you remember similar 90's games that had names consisting of a bunch of buzzwords slapped together in an effort to make the game sound more rad than it really was. The difference here is that this is rad. Ultra Rad... Dude.

#48 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:17 AM

Actually i chose that name because ages ago there was a topic somewhere around here about game names and if they have effect on people wanting to play the game.
Someone mentioned that a game shouldn't have a too sucky name like 'Hyper wars the mega firestorm' and that he would probably not play a game with that name.
Since i read this i deciced that there has to be a game with that name.
Preferably some kind of dumb shooter with big explosions and... there we are.

So... well it is meant to sound a bit crappy.

Here are some movies showing the new level.
Results may vary.

movie1
movie2
movie3

Edited by 9_6, 06 August 2006 - 08:18 AM.

#49 TCGamer

TCGamer

Zelda Freak

• 723 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:41 AM

This unbelievable! This is a very good game. 10/10. It doesn't have any bugs or glitches.

#50 jackal_111

jackal_111

rebmeM CMG

• 79 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:50 AM

Words can explain how great this is. I just can't say them on this forum.