Gm Console Dll

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 ..::Origin::..

..::Origin::..

GMC Member

• 435 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:34 PM

Hey guys, i made this by request, running out of things to do at the moment, so i made it. Anyway, its a console built from Dos, which you can use to write text to, get text from, change title.. etc.

I suppose you could make a debugger.. or cheat console for it, no idea what else though.

Comes with a little documentation, example(.gm6), scripts and dll.

I havent tested this on GM5, but i don't see why it wouldn't work.

Drop any bugs here if you find any, looks as clean as can be though.

I will continue this if people really want me to, but i can't exactly see the main purpose you would use this for, but its here, so people can hopefully search if they ever need it.

You don't have to give me credit, so enjoy!

Link 1, Version 1.4
- ..:: Origin ::..

Edited by ..::Origin::.., 08 July 2006 - 09:51 AM.

#2 Sheik06

Sheik06

GMC Member

• 589 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:46 PM

Hey that was good. You should add more functions. Also it would be nice if it could run in the same time as the game, a "real" console you know?

Edit: Add a command that does "color". So you do

color 0c
echo Warning
color 07

And I guess the text would be shown in red.

Edited by Sheik06, 27 June 2006 - 01:49 PM.

#3 SleeK GeeK

SleeK GeeK

The Biggest And The Best

• 769 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 02:33 PM

The reason why the GM window isnt accessable is because it waits for the dll to return a value, which ofcourse isnt immediate. The function causing the problem is the one which gets the user input. I think usage of threads maybe needed, and a seperate function to check the input (last input to be precise :D).

Regards,
SleeK GeeK.

Edited by SleeK GeeK, 27 June 2006 - 02:38 PM.

#4 Toon-Master

Toon-Master

Half-Toon Hero!

• 340 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 03:02 PM

Greetings,

For the curiosity... Is this a PureBasic wrapper of the console library??? Sorry I am a little familier with those functions and look the same to me, but yeah just checking mate.

Besides that question, I think it is an interesting DLL I have no use though but it may come in use another time.

- Toon-Master
D: I'm sorry if I'm unavailable for answering questions through messaging on GMC.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I love Leanny Basil, Heart on Artivale. You inspired me for so many years.

#5 SleeK GeeK

SleeK GeeK

The Biggest And The Best

• 769 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 03:45 PM

I dont think this is a purebasic wrapper, i am not sure, but thats what i think according to me. The DLL seems to be an output of the visual cpp 2005 compiler with full optimizations. But the situation can be the opposite too (seeing the section names).

Regards,
SleeK GeeK.

Edited by SleeK GeeK, 27 June 2006 - 03:47 PM.

#6 Toon-Master

Toon-Master

Half-Toon Hero!

• 340 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 03:52 PM

Fair enough, just had to know. I remember seeing a post by ..::Origin::.. going about PureBasic so i had to ask.

BTW PureBasic output is like that too well seems to anyway I think. But I am not really bothered, the scripts there have the exact name as PB. Gave me the curiosity.

Sorry for asking.

- Toon-Master

Edited by Toon-Master, 27 June 2006 - 04:30 PM.

D: I'm sorry if I'm unavailable for answering questions through messaging on GMC.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I love Leanny Basil, Heart on Artivale. You inspired me for so many years.

#7 ..::Origin::..

GMC Member

• 435 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:48 PM

Thanks for all the comments. I'll just take a second to answer your questions.
Post 1: Heh, thanks i'll figure out how to do it eventually. I'll think about it though, shouldn't take to long. I'll consider adding it to Version 2, and yes i guess there will be one.
Post 2: That is correct.
Post 3: Yes, i am learning PB, though i re-wrote (pretty much made new) console commands for a learning experience. Since i can't link both together i have to do abit of research on google. I followed a handy little tutorial, it was nice.
Post 4: I'm not sure, but PureBasic may have been written in VC++, No idea.
Post 5: Yeah, am learning PB, proud of it to.

Would you think it would be better if i just wrap the purebasic Console instead? I thought it was also more legit by doing it the other way. I don't exactly see how anyone can point out how it works, considering the console works the same way.

Thanks for the replies!
.. :: Origin :: ..

#8 BZGaming

BZGaming

GMC Member

• 514 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:35 PM

he was just asking because PB wrapper dlls are considered illegal by the makers of PB. They don't want people making PB wrapper dlls.

BZ

#9 ..::Origin::..

GMC Member

• 435 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:43 PM

Console V2 In works.

Edited by ..::Origin::.., 01 July 2006 - 02:05 AM.

#10 freaky_entertainment

freaky_entertainment

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:44 PM

Great DLL . Please dude , continuse working on it and upgrade it . I want to have coloured text etc ... Please !!! :skull:

Cxn8eVf.pnggVywn2c.pngckddPHm.png

#11 RhysAndrews

RhysAndrews

Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2013 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:57 PM

*whistles* I created a GM-Console a looong time ago, working on the third edition as we speak. Check it out in my signature. Embeds into the GM window with full visual customization, etc.

Sorry for the advertising, I needed you guys to acknowledge there's stuff like this already around. But great work, its' a nice little dll.

Regards
Rhys Andrews

banner4.jpg

#12 thefjk

thefjk

GMC Member

• 32 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 05:33 PM

Yeah, both of them are AWESOME! I think a console will be kewl for my game, it helps debbuging and is fun... please make new better ones guys!

#13 ..::Origin::..

GMC Member

• 435 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 02:50 AM

By several requests i shall have GM Console 1.4 released.

Contains:
- Set background character color
- Set character color
- A fix for 'clear' console, i don't think anyone noticed it. It now clears as it should.
- Code clean up, i was able to decrease the DLL size by 1.25kb (not really important, as now its grown in size)
- Toggle Fullscreen
- Toggle Windowed
- Get Fullscreen (1 = fullscreen, 0 = windowed)
- A couple of good - short examples for using GM Console

Okay, 'embedding' the console can be easyily done with roachs embed dll, i did not want to include this as it is not 100% responsive with the console itself. Also with included fullscreen functions, this can be another flaw on it.

I'm currently still writing the examples and testing the dll for bugs, will have it out in a couple of hours.

Thanks for your interests, - ..::Origin::..

EDIT:
Ok, its released. Enjoy V1.4

Edited by ..::Origin::.., 02 July 2006 - 04:13 AM.

#14 MoonGoon

MoonGoon

GMC Member

• Validating
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:55 PM

Could you add a function to return the console screen as a string? I've always wanted to take the output of Nethack or Rogue and render it in 3D ;)

#15 ..::Origin::..

GMC Member

• 435 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 01:03 AM

You should be able to do it yourself, i think theres a key to pretty much copy the entire console or bits you need. Have a google for it, then make GM press those keys.

I will work on it later though.

Thanks,

#16 MoonGoon

MoonGoon

GMC Member

• Validating
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 01:57 AM

By the way thank you for including color related functions.. makes it easier to make ZZT type games that way.

I googled it and didn't get far. I assume by key you mean ALT+Print Screen? That would require GM to make the console window gain focus, send the ALT+Print Screen and then store the clipboard contents to a string.. Well, I think GM can at least do the last item :)

If you meant registry key I tried printing a unique text string out with a real DOS program and your console .dll and doing a search within the registry. No luck there.

The most informative peice of text I found was:
There are two classes of console mode applications. The important difference between the two is whether they read from and write to their standard input and standard output in "glass TTY" fashion using ReadFile() and WriteFile() (what Win32 terms high-level console I/O), or whether they use "random access" APIs such as WriteConsoleOutput() (what Win32 terms low-level console I/O). Translating this to DOS terms: DOS programs that use INT 21h to read from and write to their standard input and standard output are in the former class; and DOS programs that use INT 10h or that write directly to video memory are in the latter class.

All of which do nothing unless I *really* know Windows internals like yourself ;) I'm looking forward to your next revision.. this looks tougher than I thought!

#17 -DMI-

-DMI-

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 07:31 AM

update your links...i want download it

#18 ..::Origin::..

GMC Member

• 435 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 09:38 AM

@-DMI-

Sir yes sir! Wormholes server seems to be down, i will create a temporary mirror for the time.
__
I'm giving permission to anyone to create mirrors for this as long as this thread links to your mirror.

#19 blasterman_95

blasterman_95

Blasterman's Army Leader

• 251 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 03:18 AM

:) !idea! :)
try and make it into a pulldown game cheat console(like in a quake engine-based game) :ph34r: that would be soo cool. :chikin

#20 Robaki

Robaki

GMC Member

• 50 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:55 AM

AAARGH!!! ITS A RAR!!!!!
Awell, I'll just install 7zip

Edited by odyseusz.zawalski.00, 05 June 2007 - 03:56 AM.

#21 Chaos In a Can

Chaos In a Can

GMC Member

• 70 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:59 PM

I get an unexpected error with GM7 when I open the console.
The console opens, but GM still gives an unexpected error.

#22 ..::Origin::..

GMC Member

• 435 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 02:34 PM

- Discontinued. Incase anyone didn't realise by the inactivity.

I'm suprised the link is still active.

@Chaos
This was well released way back before 7.0.

#23 Chaos In a Can

Chaos In a Can

GMC Member

• 70 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:50 PM

I see that.

It doesn't matter, I found something similar made for GM5 which works with 7.