#1 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9208 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:54 PM

Evolites
A simple evolution simulator - Tools, predators, download, and more!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Introduction & Features
Welcome to Evolites, a simple life simulation where you indirectly control the fates of a countless number of tiny, unique creatures, known as Evolites. As the Evolites evolve naturally, various tools are at your disposal to save, destroy, create, and interact with them. You may let things run their course, or you may directly intervene, and make sure that only your chosen strain of Evolites survives!

Partially inspired by the opening sequence of the upcoming game Spore, and partially a pet project that just seemed fun to make, Evolites was created to interest, entertain, and relax all types of gamers, casual and up. The game features a mouse-only control setup, and large, colorful graphics. Online functionality via the Reflect Account System is also built-in, and a handful of options put you at full control of how you want to play the game.

Controls
Controlling the game is simple, especially if you have a wheel mouse. If you do not use a wheel mouse, the up and down arrows may be substituted at the necessary times. Hover your mouse over the bottom portion of the screen to bring up the toolbar in the main play area.

LEFT MOUSE - Click to open menu boxes, press buttons, select Evolites, and activate selected tools. Click and drag Evolites from the catalog to copy them, save them, or upload them
RIGHT MOUSE - Click to deselect Evolites or delete Evolites from the catalog
MOUSE WHEEL / UP & DOWN ARROW KEYS - Interact with variable buttons or attract the selected Evolite to the current mouse location
F1 - Restart the game (all unsaved data will be lost)
F4 - Toggle between windowed and fullscreen modes

Online Features
This game is compatible with the Reflect Account System! Using a Reflect Account, you can access online features in all games that use the system, via one login.

Evolites was the first game released to use this system, and registering will allow you to upload your own Evolites to the internet, as well as report to other users browsing the site that you are playing, and have your game automatically download Evolite information from the online catalog for predators! You can find out more by visiting Reflect Account!

Game Info
Game Maker version: 8
Screen size: 800x600 (no rez change)
File size: 4.14 MB

Download
Download Evolites (4.14 MB)

Links
Evolites Mini Site
Reflect Games

Edited by FredFredrickson, 07 March 2010 - 08:28 PM.

#2 Fox-NL

Fox-NL

I wanna fly high

• 620 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:56 PM

awesome... :P

#3 Sheik06

Sheik06

GMC Member

• 589 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:11 PM

I was gonna say just that. Its perfect man. Good work, awesome game you got here.

#4 MooCow

MooCow

GMC Member

• 239 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:16 PM

Very good. I submitted creatures. Polygon creatures would've been awesome though. Each creature on the website would be different.

Edited by MooCow, 20 June 2006 - 04:17 PM.

#5 JTR

JTR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 402 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:36 PM

FPS about 14 in the stats-screen. Greeeat...

I guess this graphics driver in my parent's computer can't quite handle it.

#6 softhunterdevil

softhunterdevil

LazyBoy

• GMC Member
  • 276 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:37 PM

One word to describe it... BEAUTIFUL

Edited by softhunterdevil, 20 June 2006 - 04:38 PM.

#7 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9208 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:39 PM

Yeah, I would have liked to add polygonal creatures, but judging from some of the other games I've seen that use it, it just seemed to make the game run too slow to be practical for this game... Especially when this game currently rides the cusp of slowing down every now and then!

Glad you like the game guys, I've found it's really an interesting experience to just leave it on while you work on things and come back to it now and then to see how things have progressed. Seeing which families survive, and helping them along is a good break from action now and then! :P

#8 gww1

gww1

GMC Member

• 132 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:00 PM

I love this, I just leave it running and check on my creatures every now and then.

#9 Dracodragon

Dracodragon

Frogfighter Founder!

• 498 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:01 PM

Hey fred! This came out great, and im glad you finally finished it! I liked all the effects, the music was great, and it seemed to meet your goal of relaxing people. :P I also liked how evolites tended to "glow" after the are radiated. Anyways, good job! cant wait to see more projects from you.

#10 LauriP

LauriP

-Halinalle-

• 474 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:29 PM

Well now I'm happy :)

I registered an Reflect account and the account system works good. The registeration is easy and it takes no time to make an account. Really nicely made and the catalog works fine too. The water effects are relaxing and the music is also.. It makes me just fall to my bed and relax for a while. It's like one of those TV's sudoku mobile games or something.. I really like the menus and the smooth motion of them, reminds me of The Sims 2. The tools are wonderful and they are different from another to another. The Evolite submitting system works wonderfully, Kamone, Generation 2, Predator rating: 20
Submitted by LauriP on Jun 20th, 2006 at 11:23 AM
and I really like that you can download other players evolites.

I first thought that this was just another copy of the evolutiongames but you proved me wrong, this is really it's own game. The Reflect Account system is the best and I think the only net registeration system in GM history and even better than most of the boughtable games. I will keep Evolites on my comp. for a long time, that's for sure :)

I really like your style of design, HT3D and your little abandoned projects too. Continue working with games, I'm sure that someday you will be working on Ubisoft or something :P I'm looking forward to your next games or projects. Gunner McJack: P.A.K sounds cool. Any preview pictures or sneek peeks ? ;) See ya!

Hey by the way, Who are in the Reflect Games and are you in a need of more members ?
I would be interested if so. But if you don't want to that's alright :D

EDIT: Oh, I read the Reflect Games site FAQ and there the answer was, oh well :)

Edited by LauriP, 20 June 2006 - 06:47 PM.

#11 Tr00jg

Tr00jg

GMC Member

• 274 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:40 PM

Wow! The Reflect inniative is really awesome. If you guys manage it correctly it is bound to become a reall huge hit! REALL HUGE.

#12 edmunn

edmunn

GMC Member

• 1298 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:53 PM

wow
amazing =D

truely proffesional looking, every thing is perfect!!!

#13 Polystyrene Man

Polystyrene Man

Fake Plastic Fun

• 702 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:04 PM

This is an absolutely amazing game. The simplicity of the graphics makes it a very appealing and user-friendly game. The music is great, but a playlist with a couple other tunes would have been nice. There was a lot of user interaction in this game, which made it one of the better evolution simulators. I'll be keeping this for a while.

I have a question though: When the evolites evolve, do they only grow bigger or do they change in shape as well? Hmm, maybe you'll just say to play it and find out. :)

#14 softhunterdevil

softhunterdevil

LazyBoy

• GMC Member
  • 276 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:23 PM

The music is great, but a playlist with a couple other tunes would have been nice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Man! this is an evolution simulator...not just another media player made with GM
:) :D :)

Well... variation of music will be appritiated.

#15 MrBiggles

MrBiggles

Game Programmer

• 559 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:40 PM

This is an absolutely amazing game. The simplicity of the graphics makes it a very appealing and user-friendly game. The music is great, but a playlist with a couple other tunes would have been nice. There was a lot of user interaction in this game, which made it one of the better evolution simulators. I'll be keeping this for a while.

I have a question though: When the evolites evolve, do they only grow bigger or do they change in shape as well? Hmm, maybe you'll just say to play it and find out.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mine get smaller, one time they got to the size of a period!

#16 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9208 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:43 PM

I forgot to mention, if you convert your music to Ogg format, and drop it into the game's music folder, it will automatically load it at startup, and cycle through each track. Careful though, each Ogg file will add a few seconds to the load time, and could potentially make the game use up a pretty decent amount of memory, holding all of the songs!

And PSM, the Evolites do not change in shape, only size. I wanted to add shape, and Xot sent me some really great stuff on Biomorphs, but using so many primitives really seemed like it would make the game a bit too slow, so I opted to just keep them as ellipses.

I should also mention that all evolites that are added to the online catalog can be a potentially downloaded by the game as predators, so if you've got a very fast, evolved Evolite that isn't too small, upload it... it just might wreak havoc in someone else's game!

#17 whgoss

whgoss

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 387 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:58 PM

Interesting concept. Nice work.

Edited by xlilwill5x, 20 June 2006 - 09:03 PM.

#18 Polystyrene Man

Polystyrene Man

Fake Plastic Fun

• 702 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:45 PM

I forgot to mention, if you convert your music to Ogg format, and drop it into the game's music folder, it will automatically load it at startup, and cycle through each track.  Careful though, each Ogg file will add a few seconds to the load time, and could potentially make the game use up a pretty decent amount of memory, holding all of the songs!

And PSM, the Evolites do not change in shape, only size.  I wanted to add shape, and Xot sent me some really great stuff on Biomorphs, but using so many primitives really seemed like it would make the game a bit too slow, so I opted to just keep them as ellipses.

I should also mention that all evolites that are added to the online catalog can be a potentially downloaded by the game as predators, so if you've got a very fast, evolved Evolite that isn't too small, upload it...  it just might wreak havoc in someone else's game!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think I'll keep the music as it is. Good idea with not using primitives, Fred, because the game runs at a perfect speed on my not-so-perfect computer. Evolites wreaking havoc? Sounds fun B)

#19 kaje01

kaje01

GMC Member

• 48 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:59 PM

Woah. Thats really freakn interesting. I played it for about 45 minutes and didn't really get anywhere.

I like the concept alot though. I'm going to try leaving it on for a while with food fairly scarce and see what happens.

#20 snerg1

snerg1

GMC Member

• 98 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:05 AM

This is really cool. I hope your going to make a sequel.

#21 mrcole92

mrcole92

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:57 AM

Amazing, yes, definatly make a sequal.

It reminded me somewhat of Spore lol.

#22 MrBiggles

MrBiggles

Game Programmer

• 559 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 02:48 AM

Thats what it was partially inspired by.

#23 blade740

blade740

blade games leader

• 133 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:18 AM

you should make something on the site where you can order the catalog by different things, so if you want to get a strong predator, you can order them by predator level. Or order them by user submitted.

#24 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9208 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:34 AM

Yeah, Fox-NL had mentioned this to me, but I never got around to it before releasing the game. In the next few days I'm going to be troubleshooting a few problems that have cropped up (nothing too serious yet), and address these issues. Thanks for playing!

#25 blade740

blade740

blade games leader

• 133 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:30 AM

oh, one other thing I've been meaning to mention since the second demo. The menu sometimes gets in the way when I'm trying to save the life of my precious evolites. Sometimes one'll go to sleep at the bottom of the screen, but when I try to save it, the menu'll pop up and I can't get at it. Maybe hold a key to be able to keep the menu hidden. That way I can get to the bottom of the screen if I need to.

Also, I'd like to be able to check the predator level of my evo's without having to upload them to the database. Oh, and some way to turn an evo into a predator and have it "thin out the herd"

Edited by blade740, 21 June 2006 - 07:40 AM.

#26 ZDM

ZDM

Mindwarp Productions™

• 746 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:35 AM

Worst host on earth:

Posted Image

#27 The Pixelator

The Pixelator

GMC Member

• 108 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:51 AM

The music kind of reminds me of the music on Electroplankton on DS. You should probably make the sprites different the just dots, it would make the game more interesting and eye appealing. Also you should consider making boundries, because that is annoying not being able to see some of the little guys running around.

Edited by The Pixelator, 21 June 2006 - 07:58 AM.

#28 EricDB

EricDB

Eric Burgess

• Retired Staff
  • 920 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 21 June 2006 - 02:39 PM

I haven't had time to get much into the game itself, but let me just say that this is some of the most beautiful interface and graphical work I've ever seen.

#29 Self_titled

Self_titled

GMC Member

• 149 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 03:13 PM

cool love the menu effects kinda reminds me of the sims for some reasn :s wasnt entirly sure wot i was doin in the game mind just tended to try n mutate the little fish thins
good game tho

#30 Infernus

Infernus

I'm not admin, i'm a

• 184 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 03:38 PM

Very nice game, the evolites I downloaded completely killed all of my own ones, they were level 30 and mine were level 3-6. Now ive sent in about a hundred level 5's to sort em out, I'll check on them in a few minutes.

Edit: All of the level 5's got completely raped by the level 30's, who are now level 40.

Edited by Infernus, 21 June 2006 - 03:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users