What Is The Nes Color Palette?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 burly

burly

GMC Member

• 124 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:04 PM

I was just wondering if anyone knew what exact colors were available in the NES color palette. I'm planning a game, and I came across the idea, but didn't know if there was enough information for me to get the colors to see.

If anyone could help that'd be great.

#2 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:19 PM

I'm sorry, but that is beyond the extend of this forum. I'll give you a chance in graphics though, even though it's quite off-topic.

#3 AlcanderX

AlcanderX

GMC Member

• 400 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:04 PM

image removed

#4 danimations

danimations

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:50 AM

I just wanted to thank Alcander for the graphics palette! I'm making some animations based on NES pixel designs and will find the chart very useful.

What are the practical limitations of this palette? Typically in games I see less than 16 colours actually in use at any given time...?

#5 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:56 PM

I just wanted to thank Alcander for the graphics palette! I'm making some animations based on NES pixel designs and will find the chart very useful.

What are the practical limitations of this palette? Typically in games I see less than 16 colours actually in use at any given time...?

A palette has no practical limitations whatsoever, it's just a color index. And Game Maker itself does not use palettes.

But if you mean you somehow want to emulate how NES games would look by restricting the amount of colors used, 16 seems correct - if you're not counting the colors used by sprites.

However, on those old 8-bit machines they usually applied programming tricks to alter the colors per scanline, which means that effectively it would be possible to show the entire NES color palette on a NES, but no more than 16 colors horizontally. Again, this is not counting the sprites.

#6 Robbiee

Robbiee

LemonBulb

• GMC Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:49 AM

Just for some further reading about the specifications of the NES' graphics capabilities.

Palette Information
PPU Info
More info on the PPU

Hopefully that should help to get a better understanding of what the limit of the NES.

#7 Bass.EXE

Bass.EXE

Transcendent: B

• 1639 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:52 AM

There are usually only 3 to 5 graphics in one sprite, with the exception of Plant Man in Megaman 6 (I believe he has 6 colors), because Megaman 6 was very advanced for the NES.

That's about all I know about the color number limitation, and all that I really care about. It's going to look like an NES if you just use the color palette.
Did you know that pears have their own DNA? yes: deoxyribonupearic acid. I learned that when I went to Pearis, Pearsia. I actually wrote a papear about it. It included the Great Time Pearadox, and even how the Speartains almost conquored Pearsia. It actually sounds quite pearanormal. Anyway, in Pearsia, there was a huge forest, where large pearcentage of the animal pearpulation were grizzly pears. I went in prepeared. About a few miles into the jungle, I saw a pear of pearallel trees, almost completely pearpendicular to the ground. I climbed up one, and picked a pear. Then, the pearlice surrounded me! It turns out that the trees were sacred to the first queen of Pearsia, Cleopeartra.
"Pearposterous," I said, but they hauled me off to court. I was in quite the peardicament. Luckily, I got an amazing lawyer--Pearry Mason--to prove me innocent.
My story was several pearagraphs long. My teacher told me I need to learn to pearaphrase. She asked about this story to my pearants, but they just said it was a peary tale. I didn't care; I was in pearadise. I got an A+, because compeared to everyone else's repeart, mine was pearfect. That's good, too, because I pearcrastinated. I was pearspiring, too. But after such a fantastic, fiction story, there sure was a pearadigm shift in the genre of repearts in my class.

#8 Sporknife

Sporknife

GMC Member

• 387 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:36 AM

Im pretty sure it's something like 3 colors per 8x8 box, and a max of 6? boxes a sprite, and only 16 colors on the screen at one time. not really sure though.

#9 Dmaster270

Dmaster270

GMC Member

• 1736 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:41 AM

I'm pretty sure it's 4 colors per sprite.

@Bass.EXE
Capcom used two different sprites for it's Megaman sprites. One for head, and one for body.
PM me with an email for a Lockerz invite.

#10 brenleyman

brenleyman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:19 AM

@Bass.EXE
Capcom used two different sprites for it's Megaman sprites. One for head, and one for body.

It's probably five, counting a transparent color

#11 Zee

Zee

Sweet Supine Surrealist

• 856 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:06 PM

@Bass.EXE

It's probably five, counting a transparent color

Not true, and time for a history lesson folks. I know this is a necrobump, but this topic came up when I looked for "NES color palette" meaning it's still indexed in google, and therefore still reasonably accessible. So to make this more useful to people curios of other NES limitations here is some quotes from other places.

By the Numbers

The NES is capable of, numerically...

Running at 1.97 Mhz with 2kb of RAM, with the ability to read up to 64kb of ROM/RAM at any time.
The ability to display up to 8 sprites per scanline (so there can only be 8 total sprites on any horizontal line of the screen), 12 sprite and 13 background colors onscreen out of a palette of 64, with a separate Picture Processing Unit to render graphics without overtaxing the horribly weak CPU, and its own Video RAM of 2kb.

And for a very good wealth of technical knowledge, check this link.

#12 MegaMan

MegaMan

GMC Member

• 10 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:07 AM

Well, there is really 32 colors available in screen. First 16 colors for sprites, last 16 colors for background.

Sprite color: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Background color: 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Only 4 colors groups in each sprite and background. Only in sprites have one transparent(T) each which is total of 12 sprite colors. In sprite and background, usually Black ( B ) color is in each color group which is total of 10 sprites color (MegaMan's body armors: 1 Blue, 2 Light Blue, 3 Black, 4 Transparent) (Mega Man's face: 5 Skin color, 6 White, 7 Black, 8 Transparent) (Robot Master QuickMan's body armor 9 Red, 10 Yellow, 11 Black, 12 Transparent.) (Robot Master QuickMan's face: 13 Skin color, 14 White, 15 Black, 16 Transparent.) and 13 background colors.

Sprite color: (01 02 03B 04T) (05 06 07B 08T) (09 10 11B 12T) 13 14 15B 16T) total 5 per characters. 10 Max.
Background color (17 18 19 20B) (21 22 23 24B) (25 26 27 28B) (29 30 31 32B) total 13 background colors Max.

Making 8 bits Nintendo game wasn't easy job, but at least you know what color limits.

Edited by MegaMan, 19 June 2009 - 02:08 AM.