Photo

Favorite Game Genre

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

Poll: Which game genre do you most enjoy playing? (4466 member(s) have cast votes)

Which game genre do you most enjoy playing?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Takagi

Takagi

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4275 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:41 PM

Vote which genre game is your favorite. Unless you have chosen "Other" or "Online", do not post in this thread. Offenders will be warned. I'm sick and tired of deleting posts, so yes, you can post what you voted. But please, keep it sane. If I did warn you for doing so, PM me May 8th or after, and I will remove it. If you feel that another genre should be added, PM me, and it may be added. Please note that I may not add your genre.

This is replacing the old (spammy) topic, which is still open as it still is a valuable resource.

Takagi

#2 Radnom

Radnom

Burninator

• GMC Member
  • 778 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:22 AM

OTHER:
- Third person shooter, eg. Metal Arms.

#3 PLAY: More

PLAY: More

Press F8 to enter BIOS

• 824 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:29 AM

OTHER: 3D Platformer (Banjo-Kazooie, Donkeey Kong 64, Super Mario 64, etc.)

P.S. I do enjoy a good RPG, though.

#4 SioxerNic

SioxerNic

Phara main programmer

• 320 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 04:05 PM

other: 2D shooter.

#5 Takagi

Takagi

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4275 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:46 PM

It's become far too much work to delete posts by people who state what they voted, so you guys can now post, but please do keep up some sane discussion.

#6 cbdman25

cbdman25

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1620 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:06 PM

I don't know aobut you Takagi but I don't consider Online a game genre. You can have any of the above types but with an online mode.

When people vote online they basically mean they preffer to play with other people rather than NPCs, AI or bots. If they like to play Counter Strike, don't vote Online but vote First Person Shooter. If you like WoW then vote RPG.

Just my thought. Go ahead and discuss.

#7 Takagi

Takagi

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4275 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:21 PM

I don't know aobut you Takagi but I don't consider Online a game genre. You can have any of the above types but with an online mode.

When people vote online they basically mean they preffer to play with other people rather than NPCs, AI or bots. If they like to play Counter Strike, don't vote Online but vote First Person Shooter. If you like WoW then vote RPG.

Just my thought. Go ahead and discuss.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So I sort of noticed recently, and I just finished altering the votes again, counting MMORPG as RPG.

#8 cbdman25

cbdman25

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1620 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:51 PM

Now we can see that RPG are by far the favourite game. I for one voted Adventure games.

#9 Takagi

Takagi

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4275 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:33 AM

Why are RPGs the most popular genre? I think its because of the depth that they involve. Is that it, or am I missing something?

#10 ZDM

ZDM

Mindwarp Productions™

• 746 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 04:08 AM

I like RTS the best. I have come to notice almost 90% of my games are RTS's. I have it all, from Empire Earth 2, to Command and Conquer, to Warcraft III. Even classics such as CnC '95, Starcraft, and Warcraft 2 BNE. I love the RTS genre and so should you!

RPG's are most popular because of three dreaded words: Final Fantasy Seven

I do not like the game but to everyone it holds a special place in their heart. Although I have to admit i did buy a 5 and 8 inch (68 inch) replica of Masamune, which has a 50" blade.

I do like quite a few RPG's (Morrowind, Oblivion, Fable) but to many they are addicting and I still do not see why. Maybe because they get to be magical elves are brutish orcs (Future RPG's are never famous) or even badass humans, but it mainly appeals to what most people call a "geek" which most of this forum consists of.

#11 cbdman25

cbdman25

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1620 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 08:31 AM

Why are RPGs the most popular genre? I think its because of the depth that they involve. Is that it, or am I missing something?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Obviously there is no solid answer but I will attempt to explain as deeply as I can also knowing that there is a chance no-one will read this long post.

- World: When playing an RPG it places the player in a world which they've never been to before. It lets run free in a place they know can't physically harm you. RPGs create this freedom by giving us an intire new world. Plus for those who don't leave the house this is a strange simulation for them. Maybe it's simply because the world they are in is fantastic, imaginative and doesn't have to apply to the laws of geography, physics or mathmatics. Exploring wonderful places and fantastic worlds that simply amaze the player.

- Character: Being another person can be fun, but being someone else who has magic, swords and other RPG elements is another thing all together. For once you don't have to be the normal kid in a normal town. You can be a tall, six-pack man with a sword killing, slicing or summoning evil beings. People look up to these fictional characters (mostly in animated shows though) and they create a sense of awe (Spelt wrong)

- Powers and Weapons: Most kids can't have guns and swords which is way an RPG can simulate the experience of having such items. Obviously there is no such thing as magic but in an RPG world anything goes and you have the power to do...weird...RPG kinda thingies.

- Upgrading: Sometimes it's fun to work and battle your way up to higher levels. That might be one aspect which is fun I'm not quite sure.

#12 go1053

go1053

GMC Member

• 26 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 04:02 PM

I 100% agree with cbdman25! and one other thing about that is that RPG's is that they last a long time, some dont even end, like my most favorite
"The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion" for the xbox 360. so of course i voted for RPG =), i even got 122 prerelease screenshots on my computer and 76 trailer pictures. i waited for The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion for an entire year, i even preordered it and 1 day shipping. i played that game 24/7 and i got pretty good, but then there is always a time where you get board of a game.
i also have the previous one "The Elderscrolls 3: Morrowind "for the computer which was fun.

I also like "Guild Wars" and "Guild Wars: Factions"(the expansion)
and if any of you have played tons of playstation 1 games, you might know "Legend of Dragoon" (its not dragon, its dragoon)
On my GBA, i like playing "Shining Soul 2"
I think that the Need for Speed games are slightly RPGish, Like the car is your charector, you can upgrade him and get new ones, But dont ask i forgot why i thought of that,
i have watched a friend play "Knights of the Old Republic", and it looked really fun.
On my PS2 i loved" Kingdom Hearts"

cbdman25 said:
- Upgrading: Sometimes it's fun to work and battle your way up to higher levels. That might be one aspect which is fun I'm not quite sure

I think thats one of the best parts thats one of the best parts :)

Just this year i have been able to play some shooter games, but ive been able to play lots of RPG's for a long time,

so bacicly all im saying is RPG'S RULE!!! :GM6:

#13 kokew00t

kokew00t

1000 years of PAIN!

• 175 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:28 PM

RPG - and why? Because it's OBLIVION!!!!!! :)

#14 Fedor

Fedor

GMC Member

• 294 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 10:49 PM

RPGs rule the most populur genre in game maker! :)

#15 Takagi

Takagi

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4275 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 03:58 AM

Please, I said keep it sane, and the last two posts are straying from sane...

#16 the_pegster

the_pegster

GMC Member

• 56 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 10:15 AM

I didn't personnally vote for RPGs but I do enjoy them.

I think there is one big reason for them being so poular-

They Offer a huge amount of freedom to the player- unlike most other games where you have to follow strict paths.

#17 cbdman25

cbdman25

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1620 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 08:03 AM

I also like RPGs but I find that anyone can complete them, it takes someone with brains to complete an Adventure Game.

#18 Takagi

Takagi

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4275 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 04:13 PM

I chose Adventure because it's open, like an RPG and often allow for more action than RPG's.

#19 cbdman25

cbdman25

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1620 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 11:05 PM

Yay! You chose Adventure too!

I preffer Adventure simpley because I feel if you've played one RPG you've played them all. They tend to stick to sterotypes* and never differ story wise.

It's hard to find two Adventure games that are the same in graphics, story and gameplay.

#20 King Bobby

King Bobby

GMC Member

• 127 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 02:39 AM

Real Time Strategy.
They're fun, they make you think.
Plus they're online so they have alot of new stuff everyday.
Plus they mapmakers, which make the game fun.
Plus they can get really cool mods, to add dinosaurs and that stuff...
Warcraft III The Frozen Throne I reccomend to all RTS lovers, it's awesome.

#21 don_tomaso

don_tomaso

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 06:12 PM

Well its kind of hard choosing which genre is your favorite, Ive played many great games and different games over the years.. But I chose RPG, because of my eternal fallout-love.. Loved the setting and the mood in that game.. Also, Jagged alliance you could almost call an rpg, because of the personalities and the stats, and thats one of my favorite games too.. So, yeah, defenitly RPG

#22 mesenberg

mesenberg

GMC Member

• 368 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:41 PM

Where's the smarts these days.... Everyone knows FPS's are the best genre. :)

#23 Born 2 Kil

Born 2 Kil

GMC Member

• 68 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:45 PM

RPG for sure.

#24 LollyN00b

LollyN00b

GMC Member

• 323 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 02:49 AM

Adventure; by the title of this genre, you'd think something along the lines of Banjo Kazooie, but really, an adventure game can be anything that involves a good story, some good action, and an expansive landscape on which these things take place.

#25 cbdman25

cbdman25

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1620 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:42 AM

Adventure; by the title of this genre, you'd think something along the lines of Banjo Kazooie, but really, an adventure game can be anything that involves a good story, some good action, and an expansive landscape on which these things take place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No I think along the lines of Monkey Island, Dark Fall, Myst, Grim Fandango etc.

#26 minimidge

minimidge

GMC Member

• 106 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:35 AM

Another reason I think RPGs are so popular is because they have a high replay value.

Unlike a FPS shooter, you can play it again without following the same path.
I really like RPGs that let you choose to be evil or nice, after beating it as evil, you have to play again to so what happens when you get a nice rating. (eg. Fable)

Edited by minimidge, 05 June 2006 - 01:36 AM.

#27 cbdman25

cbdman25

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1620 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:01 AM

How many RPGs allow you to play as evil and nice? One?

#28 Soul_Rage

Soul_Rage

GMC Member

• 99 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:44 AM

and when fable 2 comes out... 2 ^_^

RPGs are definitly my fabourtie RPGs, you can play them for hours and hours and there will always be something more to do, the amount of secrets in all teh final fantasy games gets you playing for hours, when really most of the ff games can be finished in about 25 hours, i played ff7 for over 100 hours and still wasnt bored, then i lost my game and never played it again :D

and whoever said teh story hardly changes... i agree partly but mainly disagree: i agree because you get the main character that goes off to beat the bad person who plans to destroy/take over the world (a bit dramaic yes) and in all final fantasy games they have chocobos, moogles and an engineerer named cid. but apart from that they are all
alot different, i mean they made over 15 final fantasy games, they are all the best games ever in my oppinion, and alot of people share the oppinion because the shops usualy run out of stock on teh first day they are released ::lmao::

#29 Nailog

Nailog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 603 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 06 June 2006 - 01:51 AM

How many RPGs allow you to play as evil and nice? One?
. . .
and when fable 2 comes out... 2

What, too young to have played Fallout 1 and 2? Baldur's Gate 1 and 2? Or even Knights of the Old Republic? Plenty of RPGs have given you choice. You just have to find them amidst the other "game-a-minute" crap.

#30 cbdman25

cbdman25

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1620 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 02:43 PM

You just named 5 RPGs, that's not the majority.

Anyway I don't care.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users