Photo

Favorite Game Genre

• Please log in to reply
480 replies to this topic

Poll: Which game genre do you most enjoy playing? (4598 member(s) have cast votes)

Which game genre do you most enjoy playing?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 WARLORD

WARLORD

GMC Member

• 41 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:21 AM

There is an edit button, use it.

Anyhow, RTS games rule- AoE, and SWGB are my favs (even though SWGB is practically a StarWars clone of AoE- its still good). I didn't enjoy Age of Mythology that much, maybe because my comp sucked back when I had time to go looking for computer game demos. Warcraft and Starcraft were both decent games, but I wasn't a huge fan of the Starcraft games, and the Warcraft ones were too... RPGish in some senses. Turn Based Strategy games aren't bad either- I loved the first Age of Wonders game (why do most of these games start with "Age of ?"), and Civilization pretty much pwned any other TBS game I could think of. EaW (the new StarWars RTS) is... not as good as I hoped, the demo is exceedingly boring (except for space battles:) ). Though I'd put my two cents in (even though this is probably not a good investment of said money)...

#102 manyquestions

manyquestions

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1429 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:42 AM

There is an edit button, use it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't even notice that I double posted until just now.

I <3 Wave Beam

#103 Kristian

Kristian

GMC Member

• 254 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:11 PM

Stealth games are my favourite :GM074:

Theres just something special to it, hiding where nobody can see you, and waiting for the right moment to knock them out that makes them so great.

#104 Gupocca

Gupocca

Artist

• GMC Member
  • 644 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:59 PM

I voted RPG. More like MMORPG, my favorite game is the Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar beta.

#105 manyquestions

manyquestions

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1429 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:49 PM

I voted RPG. More like MMORPG, my favorite game is the Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar beta.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Again, an RPG is not an MMORPG. If you wanted MMORPG, you should have picked other and then posted saying it was MMORPG. I'm tired of people vating incorectly and falsely raising the votes for RPG. Most RPGs can actually be a bunch of other genres anyway so it's a pretty useless category.

I <3 Wave Beam

#106 Capt. Cyclos

Capt. Cyclos

GMC Member

• 94 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:54 PM

If you think about it... every game is an RPG. You are playing the role of some sort of a character. But the gaming world has defined RPG as a type of game where character development happens. Also I don't see how he voted wrong.

BTW I voted for Adventure. Go Monkey Island!

Edited by Capt. Cyclos, 27 February 2007 - 09:55 PM.

#107 manyquestions

manyquestions

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1429 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:10 PM

If you think about it... every game is an RPG. You are playing the role of some sort of a character. But the gaming world has defined RPG as a type of game where character development happens. Also I don't see how he voted wrong.

BTW I voted for Adventure. Go Monkey Island!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

An RPG is not an MMORPG even if they both have RPG in the name. I've posted my reasoning behind this on a previous post. Also, other people have incorectly voted. An example of this for those who don't get it is: kickassgames voted for Other saying he wanted RTS, not realizing that RTS was an potion.

Okay seriously, someone with the power to should make a new poll: "Favorite Game Genre"

I <3 Wave Beam

#108 Pixel Wolf

Pixel Wolf

Pixel Wolf Productions

• 88 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:44 PM

other: tactics rpg (eg, final fantasy tactics, disgaea)

#109 manyquestions

manyquestions

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1429 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:50 PM

So, we mostly agree that RPG can be any genre and is therefor a useless category. What's the second place? Ah, I see, first person shooter which is an interface type. And the third? Platformers? Okay, Platformers are the real first place right now.

I <3 Wave Beam

#110 Capt. Cyclos

Capt. Cyclos

GMC Member

• 94 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:54 AM

I dont know about you but I think RTS is technically in 2nd place.

#111 manyquestions

manyquestions

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1429 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:57 AM

I dont know about you but I think RTS is technically in 2nd place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oops. Did I miss that or did it change since I posted? (Unlikely)

Okay, RTS is in first.

I <3 Wave Beam

#112 Aflowerchild

Aflowerchild

GMC Member

• 124 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:25 AM

I chose adventure, I loved the Monkey Island series when I was younger, finished all of them.

Oh and manyquestions, I don't want to flame but I really don't think the absolute precision of this poll is that important. Certainly not worth fighting for.

#113 lostzac

lostzac

GMC Member

• 25 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 12:12 PM

I think Rpgs are popular due to the depth of the story. Rpg games as a rule tend to pull you into the game and give you more options on how to effect the world around you. For the most part you can control your destiny in the game, choose from good or evil, and customize your character and watch them grow.

Really well done one's like Baldur's Gate also use things like Npc's to help pull yo into the game, by giving them a story and depending on your character, how they react to you. The famous romance quest are a good example of this.

#114 Takagi

Takagi

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 4284 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:25 AM

first person shooter which is an interface type.

I'd beg to differ. Usually (from what games I've played), third person shooters focus less on shooting frenzies and more on puzzle aspects than first person shooters, but that's just my two cents.

#115 manyquestions

manyquestions

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1429 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:59 PM

first person shooter which is an interface type.

I'd beg to differ. Usually (from what games I've played), third person shooters focus less on shooting frenzies and more on puzzle aspects than first person shooters, but that's just my two cents.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ever played Metroid Prime?

I <3 Wave Beam

#116 Takagi

Takagi

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 4284 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:20 PM

Actually, I haven't, but that is one of the few exceptions. Note my tactful use of the word "usually" and not "always". :huh:

First person shooters that emphasize the "shooting" part more than the "puzzle part" include Halo, Doom, Unreal Tournament and more. Some third person shooters that focus a bit more on strategy are Gears of War and Ghost Recon. This is a trend I've noticed, and that's why I personally view FPS' as a different game genre.

#117 Radnom

Radnom

Burninator

• GMC Member
  • 778 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 01:54 AM

I actually like third person shooters that emphasise on shooting the most :)

#118 manyquestions

manyquestions

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1429 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 03:50 AM

The type of run and gun crap that's in a lot of first person shooters like Halo is part of why I disliked the genre for a long time (that and I hate the first person perspective in other genres like flight combat type stuff), then came Metroid Prime, end of story.

Edited by manyquestions, 11 March 2007 - 03:50 AM.

I <3 Wave Beam

#119 P.P.P.

P.P.P.

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:23 PM

After an agonizing descision, I decided adventure. They fit in so well with other genres.

#120 Darthmarshie

Darthmarshie

GMC Member

• 44 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:17 PM

I LOVE MMO"S!!!
and RPG's
and FPS's
and best of all MMO RPG FPS's
:blink:
this is awful, I cant find anything to put in my sig...
I know...
Nevermind, I changed my mind.
I dont know

#121 swoodplaya

swoodplaya

GMC Member

• 373 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:32 PM

I voted RPG simply because I can not get enough of the genre.

I have never once been dissapointed by an RPG.. except perhaps when I don't finish them :wacko:

FFX, Start Ocean, DQ8, Jade Cocoon, FFXll, and many others.

Those are the reason I love RPG's. :P

#122 ClericSoft

ClericSoft

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:37 PM

adventure games - Got my vote simply because of all the Marvel hero games. Spiderman being my favorite. The yoyo (web trick) is the greatest thing ever invented.
fighting games - ssbm, mortal combat, etc. all amazing games.
sports games - ssx games, nhl games, wii sports xD
rpg's - MMORPG's, mostly. Very excellent genre.

#123 Kairos

Kairos

Abstract Artist

• 175 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:49 PM

Shoot-em ups (scrolling shooter category).
They simply throw away any free time I have.
It's a small category, and simply one where twitch reactions and high scores make the game. Of course, they're dying today, but I love efforts like Ikaruga, Psyvariar, Gradius 5, etc. All the shooters that keep the genre alive in today's world. But nothing beats retro shooters like Raiden, R-Type... too many to name. Good genre for old school folks.

#124 Midboss

Midboss

GMC Member

• 82 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:53 PM

My favorite games are the ones that break free from traditionally defined genres.

#125 Jamifa

Jamifa

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 501 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:55 PM

It's been posted a long time ago, but somebody said, "It's hard to find two adventure games with the same graphics, storyline, gameplay, etc." It's hard to find two RPGs like that, too! RPGs can have a lot more variations then some people think. I haven't seen a single RPG that has the same storyline, graphics, or gameplay. Although, I have seen some RPGs with similar gameplay and graphics, but very few.
I think it's mostly the fact that a person looks up to being level 80 and getting an awesome sword, or being able to forge really good weapons and armor that people love RPGs so much. They keep playing and playing, and they finally reach their goal. After a while, it gets old, but then a new feature or item gets released, and the player wants that. I think that's why RPGs are so popular, mainly.
Different creators have different ideas, especially for combat. Almora uses a - walk up to an enemy and right click to use normal attack, or push on numbers to use special attacks and spells - battle system. Knight Online uses a - target an enemy and your character will automatically attack, but you need to push numbers to use special attacks - battle system. My game, Shadow of Light uses a - engage an enemy, wait for an attack bar to fill(fills faster as your character gets faster), then pick your attack - battle system. I could keep going, but I don't want to. That's also why many RPGs are so popular, most of them use different battle systems and other features that make each one unique in at least one way.

Edited by Jamifa, 18 April 2007 - 02:59 PM.

#126 manyquestions

manyquestions

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1429 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:59 AM

It's been posted a long time ago, but somebody said, "It's hard to find two adventure games with the same graphics, storyline, gameplay, etc."  It's hard to find two RPGs like that, too!  RPGs can have a lot more variations then some people think.  I haven't seen a single RPG that has the same storyline, graphics, or gameplay.  Although, I have seen some RPGs with similar gameplay and graphics, but very few.
I think it's mostly the fact that a person looks up to being level 80 and getting an awesome sword, or being able to forge really good weapons and armor that people love RPGs so much.  They keep playing and playing, and they finally reach their goal.  After a while, it gets old, but then a new feature or item gets released, and the player wants that.  I think that's why RPGs are so popular, mainly.
Different creators have different ideas, especially for combat.  Almora uses a - walk up to an enemy and right click to use normal attack, or push on numbers to use special attacks and spells - battle system.  Knight Online uses a - target an enemy and your character will automatically attack, but you need to push numbers to use special attacks - battle system.  My game, Shadow of Light uses a - engage an enemy, wait for an attack bar to fill(fills faster as your character gets faster), then pick your attack - battle system.  I could keep going, but I don't want to.  That's also why many RPGs are so popular, most of them use different battle systems and other features that make each one unique in at least one way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, yeah but what is an RPG? How is it different than adventure? You're basically agreeing with the person quoted in the fisrt paragraph.

I <3 Wave Beam

#127 Takagi

Takagi

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 4284 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:41 AM

A bit of RPG fanaticism I see. ^_^

#128 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:19 AM

platformer teh rulz

#129 Jamifa

Jamifa

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 501 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:25 AM

Adventure game: A game in which you play as a character roaming an area, usually solving puzzles or getting past tricky obstacles, and using the main character's abilities to defeat enemies, etc. You DO NOT LEVEL UP, however you MAY unlock a few special features and special abilities to use.(Example: Tomb Raider series)
RPG: A game in which you play as a character also roaming an area and you MAY sometimes need to solve puzzles, but the focus of most RPG quests and missions is combat. Your character levels up in different skills like fighting, weapon forging, or cooking, and obtains items to help him.(Examples: Champions of Norrath or Final Fantasy series)

#130 roxas112492

roxas112492

GMC Member

• 264 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:43 AM

i persoanlly love the RPg genre. and its all because of Kingdom HGearts. seriously, if i would have never bought that game, i would probably like shooting

#131 crazydude765

crazydude765

The Ultimate Life Form

• 326 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:08 PM

platform games for me.

RAYMAN! BOOM-BOOM-BOOM! RAYMAN! BOOM-BOOM-BOOM!

you get the idea. :P

#132 4D Gamer

4D Gamer

Ghostly gamer

• 128 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:20 PM

I like racing games. But I also love playing fps. Well fps I suppose because If i wanna drive I can just hop in my own car.
Windows Vista

#133 narutogod322

narutogod322

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:21 AM

yoyoyoyo

#134 machineogreen

machineogreen

GMC Member

• 37 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:57 AM

rpgs are for people who are too stupid to dodge stuff.
I beat on crashman without getting hit.ha ha ha

#135 manyquestions

manyquestions

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1429 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 03:55 PM

rpgs are for people who are too stupid to dodge stuff.
I beat on crashman without getting hit.ha ha ha

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What the heck? RPGs(though I still don't see at as a whole genre), Adventures, and the like are all excelent forms of games they just involve different aspects than shooting something for twelve hours straight(which doesn't leave much room for variations in a lot of games). Now, I could easil counter by saying that pure action games are for people who are too stupid to solve a simple puzzle or to figure out the flaws in an attack pattern to defeat a boss rather than just shooting straight at it(and actually, in most cases RPGs and adventures are very action-like and do involve dodging things, just ith the added elements mentioned here). How ever, the statement that pure action games are for the stupid doesn't have much validity just like your statement doesn't have much validity. For while many action games are reptitive shooters and button mashers, there are those few well-exectuted games that come along every so often to proudly call themselves action games. These games include things like Starfox 64(also called Lylat Wars in some countries) that beautifully integrate well-designed gameplay and interesting enemy patterns with non-stop, enemy filled shooting action sequences and thus reated one of the best games on the N64. Now, do you want to retry that statement?

I <3 Wave Beam

#136 guild-power

guild-power

GMC Member

• 197 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:43 PM

i liek all genre's but it has to have some sort of building option (that a player can build its own hosue <- i love that)

#137 rocky 43

rocky 43

GMC Member

• 169 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:17 PM

Racing games are my favorite. By far NR2003 is one of the best games ever IMO. :)

#138 GStick

GStick

All Secrets Exposed

• GMC Member
  • 1961 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:23 PM

Fighting games just fill my soul with joy. Platform/adventure and puzzle games are always fun too. All of those make you think.

-GStick

Posted Image
The next generation of Game Maker fighting games? More like the best.
Showdown Academy | Showdown Academy Blog

Check out my new album at last.fm: KatazTrophee

#139 ZZ man

ZZ man

GMC Member

• 1745 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:54 PM

Stealth (Splinter Cell; etc)
I LOVE SPLINTER CELL :GM5: :P :GM045: :GM060: :D :blink:
If you will be laughing on December 23 2012, put this in your sig.

#140 jotarokujo1

jotarokujo1

GMC Member

• 160 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:46 PM

the world has too many nerds now!!!!
look at how many people voted for rpgs,338!!
i hink adventure and platforms are the best

#141 manyquestions

manyquestions

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1429 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 10:01 PM

the world has too many nerds now!!!!
look at how many people voted for rpgs,338!!
i hink adventure and platforms are the best

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only here :P :D .

But yeah, Adenture and platformer, and in my opinion RTS :) .

I <3 Wave Beam

#142 Verion

Verion

After the Storm

• 926 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:22 PM

I love the smell of rts's in the morning....:medieval:

i would have like to vote for turn-based strategy as well, because fire emblem is AWESOME

#143 Burnt Waffle Productions

Burnt Waffle Productions

GMC Member

• 270 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:51 PM

RPGs are sometimes fun (like Pokemon and Paper Mario) but I had to vote other, because I love 3d Platformers and Third Person Shooters/Adventure games (like Ratchet and Clank).

#144 pedrosorio

pedrosorio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 971 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:45 PM

I love rpg's, rts' and turn-based strategy games... voted for the last one.
"Let's leave the classics for your parents." - KC LC

#145 rocky 43

rocky 43

GMC Member

• 169 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:35 AM

I dont know why so many people chose rpg. The only one i ever liked was SWKOTOR.

#146 Limming Sam

Limming Sam

GMC Member

• 72 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:34 AM

rpg's are enjoyable, especially when you're bored with everything else you have for a while. I didn't vote for them though.

RTS games are awesome because yuo can always come up with new strategies and ways to win each time. As long as the maps stay varried, they don't often get booring. And when one does, you can go on to a differnt one for a while and experience the game in a whole different way.

#147 Joysurrender

Joysurrender

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 406 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 23 June 2007 - 07:05 PM

Stealth, but not Splinter Cell... Metal Gear Solid! :)

#148 FuzzyStudios

FuzzyStudios

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:24 AM

Simulations Here ALL THE WAY

#149 Go Bologna

Go Bologna

GMC Member

• 232 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 03:01 AM

I voted platformer because I like a good challenge where timing and skill are required. I especially enjoy 3D third-person platformers, because there is not only an improvement in graphics, but the depth makes room for more enemies, powerups, etc. BTW people, 3D platforming is still platforming, so stop voting other.

Edited by Go Bologna, 29 June 2007 - 03:03 AM.

#150 lopez12345

lopez12345

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:48 AM

I think i'll vote TBS (turn based strategy) because of age of empires DS.
call me what you like, i enjoy that sort of thing.
Hi. I'm lopez12345.
The good people at YYG know me as thinvader747.
How COOL is that?!?